Stereophile correction for DAC 8 DSD - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stereophile correction for DAC 8 DSD

I agree, in my view, it would take a DAC many times its price to better the T+A.

For every DAC to interface with Windows it requires a driver. This is a difference in how operating systems work. I do not claim to be an Apple expert (to say the least), but one of the big differences between Microsoft and Apple has always been that Windows is an open system while iOS is a closed system.

What I mean by this is that Windows has always been able to use almost any hardware that become available. It requires a driver (a software program that allows for interface with the new hardware), while Apple has always tried to bake in the interface with new hardware and do not usually use drivers. Therefore they can, and do, control any and all hardware that can be used with iOS. A DAC operates in the exact same way.

iOS has baked in a standard DAC interface up to DSD128 using DoP, but anything above that has traditionally required native support, and drivers. Unless this has changed this is how it works and why the T+A requires a Windows computer.

I have never used Linux. However my understanding is that Linux is the wild frontier, so to speak, and anything can happen. It is more for the DIY crowd and should be able to be modified for whatever the user wants, so long as they have the know how.

Many server builders use Linux because it is free and they can modify it how they want. However most are not willing to develop software to interface with any DAC out there so they stay more with the standards which are about the same as Apple uses. Also, there are so many variations and customization's in use for Linux that most hardware manufactures would be unwilling to attempt to create an interface for their hardware since it would not work with many or maybe even a majority of the Linux installations in use.

Again, this is my understanding but I make no claim that this is how it currently works, however this is definitely how it used to work.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | T+A AMP 8 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special | Ortofon 2M Blue | SimAudio 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Furman Elite 15i | Burmester Audio Car System | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the clarification and further explanation! as linux is an open system, hopefully t+a will provide a similar driver or other software update so that the expanding number of roon OS users can access dsd256+512.

in the interim, i am happy to enjoy this superb dac.
    kanjiroba yak + roon rock > t+a dac8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | alp-tone audio analog cables

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Is there any DAC out there that accepts DSD512 from a Mac ?
    Not Mac, but I think Linux can do that now...
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

4. Thanks aKnyght thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Not Mac, but I think Linux can do that now...
    I think I have heard that as well, however I believe it is only for DIY installs of Linux and on only certain versions of Linux, not for pre-built music servers. Again, I do not claim to have absolute knowledge of this .
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | T+A AMP 8 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special | Ortofon 2M Blue | SimAudio 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Furman Elite 15i | Burmester Audio Car System | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

6. Thanks aKnyght thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LDMS Server manufacturer will do this no, problem, though he and I both believe that the Windows Server version sounds better.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

8. Likes Randy Myers liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2