Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HT vs Home Audio System

Do most here keep their home theater and home audio systems separate (I do), or do you integrate them? For me, listening to music and listening to/watching HT are two very different things. Also, the cost of a top notch HT system with high quality components is often significantly higher (i.e. the need for subs, a lot more cables, etc.).

And, as a musician, I want my music and system two channel and at the highest quality I can afford. With all the components of a multi, multi, multi-channel system there is more chance for introducing noise to the system and for degradation of the signal. However, I will admit there is a good bit of speculation in this assessment. My two cents.

Re: HT vs Home Audio System

I use to use my Magnepans in a 3.1 system for HT and 2.1 for music. I gave up my HT and just run separate speakers and receiver for TV. My music system is totally separate.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Do most here keep their home theater and home audio systems separate (I do), or do you integrate them? For me, listening to music and listening to/watching HT are two very different things. Also, the cost of a top notch HT system with high quality components is often significantly higher (i.e. the need for subs, a lot more cables, etc.).

And, as a musician, I want my music and system two channel and at the highest quality I can afford. With all the components of a multi, multi, multi-channel system there is more chance for introducing noise to the system and for degradation of the signal. However, I will admit there is a good bit of speculation in this assessment. My two cents.

The purist/perfectionist approach would be to separate them. Not only by component; aka separate stereo pre-amp for 2 channel and a home theater processor for movies.

I'd go one step further and not even have them in the same room. Have a dedicated theater and a room for 2 channel listening.

Of course, in a perfect world that would be ideal. But, not many people have that luxury so, a combo system can suffice for many.

For me personally; I've found that too many modern films/shows rely on multi channel audio that it doesn't sound properly down-mixed into a stereo pre-amp.

So my home theater needs; a nice OLED and a really decent Atmos sound-bar suffices for all my HT needs.

Now granted if I had the space and means to construct a dedicated theater with 4k front projection, atmos speakers a nice processor; of course that would be amazing.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough rooms for a dedicated home theater, so one room for both.

I do have a flat screen with in-wall speakers and a A/V receiver in the living room but that's the main area for wife and kids. I don't really want them messing with the main HT set up. It's doing 3.0, I'd like to add a sub one day.

I use a Marantz A/V processor for HT, I come out of the preamp outputs of the Marantz into my stereo preamp theater bypass inputs, this allows me to use my same power amp and main speakers in the surround set up. When listening to stereo nothing is on in the HT side of it.

So you really can have your systems integrated in the same room with negligible down side.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Stereo in the living room, and 5.1 HT in a spare bedroom.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

I have them separated. Dedicated two channel and a 7 channel setup.
    Main System: Analog - Linn LP12, Origin Live DC motor and Controller, SME V arm, Benz Ruby H 2 cartridge, Wright Sound preamp. Digital - Intel NUC I-7, 16 gig ram, Jriver media center 24, Wyrd4 Sound 2V2 SE Dac, Fathom Hard Drives.
    H-Cat Version 9 preamp, ARC Reference 75 amp, Custom line source speakers - 10 SB Acoustics midwoofers, 10 Fountek ribbon tweeters. JL Audio Fathom f112 Subs
    Wire - T G Audio, Shunyata, Synergistic Research , Audioquest, Lewis silver foil, Duelund, Transparent.

For me, listening to music and listening to/watching HT are two very different things
    Right, only one has video. But the physics of sound is exactly the same for both. Really comes down to what one's demands for "reproduction" are.
    Most "audiophiles" are actually "stereophiles". Their demands begin and end with stereo constructs. Others, like myself, are after something else, based on these objective facts of physical reality , nothing subjective there at all. That comes afterwards.
    Subjectively, stereophiles are satisfied with frontal stereo constructs, others want something akin to this which is physically impossible without at least (2) rear channels. 4 is the minimum. I consider this as stereo + 2, since all mains are capable of pure stereo, the other channels can suffice for both MCH music and movies as needed. Such systems can produced enhanced stereo as well. That's what I do with 99% of music, which is stereo. There is an "off" button if/when the effect is undesired.
    Good speakers won't have any issues with reproducing whatever signals they are sent. Sad ones will.
    If HT is involved, having a retractable screen is nice to keep the space between mains open for non movie listening. A wall mounted TV can accomplish the same. Or both, one for movies, the other for daily casual viewing, etc.
    As with all discussions here and elsewhere, it will come down to preferences and electro-acoustic/perceptual subject knowledge. Or lack thereof.

cheers,

AJ

I use mine together. My main stereo system is also the Fronts in my HT setup. With my VAC Pre, I had to do some volume matching because there is no HT Bypass. In fact, there was not much of HT when it was made anyway. The Luxman I am about to order will have the bypass so volume matching won't be an issue. Thankfully, the 2 volume knobs on the VAC are notched, so I could set it exact each time in use after running the setup with the HT receiver.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

HT vs Home Audio System

Both HT and Stereo can live happily ever after in the same room with no compromises with either. One just have to make sure to select the right equipment/components.

For stereo, I use a 2.2 set up (fronts and 2 subs). I use a separate 2-channel DAC for stereo. My digital preamp has an analog bypass feature so the analog goes unchanged to the amps and subs.

For HT, I use the same front speakers and subs, but I also add a center channel and two surround speakers and a third sub (it becomes a 5.3 set up). The center and surrounds can be driven with a three channel amp or with mono amps. The screen is retractable and comes down when watching TV/Movies.

When I listen to multichannel SACD, I use a multichannel DAC and again feed the analog signals to the digital preamp for distribution (unchanged) to all speakers. The screen is up in this case.

Switching from HT to Stereo is just a matter of pushing a button in the digital preamp (Balance for 2-channel Stereo, 7.1 for Multichannel, DVD for movies). It works beautifully.

For many years I struggled to have an "untainted" 2 channel audio system combined with a 5 channel Atmos system. Worked through everything from amp/speaker switching boxes to HT Bypass settings, etc. My biggest issue was always working with room correction on the HT side, as well as sub integration (LFE on the HT side vs no bass management for the 2 channel audio).

Finally, earlier this year I was able to completely separate both systems in the same room only by having 2 totally completely isolated systems. HT Pre/pro and amps driving dedicated speakers, and 2 channel audio in its own separate system. They were totally independent of each other and it was fantastic but expensive.

Now it is 6 months later and I have sold & am shipping off basically the entire audio side of the HT system. 2 channel listening has dominated my time. My 10 and 12 year old boys have absolutely zero interest in home theater, despite having access to a dedicated media room with 85" screen and 5.2.4 Atmos system with virtually any movie or content ever made at their fingertips. My wife and I cannot watch movies, because by the time we get the boys to bed it's nearly 10 PM every night and there is no way we are staying up past midnight to watch a movie. It has absolutely no use in our lives, and it's sad because it's something I was really excited about and worked for a long time to attain - BUT it is basically worthless in our situation.

Now that I have sold off my Anthem AVM 60, 7 channel Monolith amps, and entire Monitor Audio Gold theater speaker system, I have brought my little Heresy III speakers into the room and I'm waiting on delivery of a Marantz Slimline 1509 5 channel AVR. Strictly 2 channel with 2 little SVS SB2000s to support the Heresy IIIs. We've been listening to 2 channel for the past week now and absolutely are not missing the surround (or even the center channel).

So that was an expensive lesson but I learned a lot along the way. No matter what I tried I was never able to totally integrate a home theater system with my 2 channel audio system without some degree of compromise.
    PRIMARY 2 CH SYSTEM: Backert Labs Rhythm 1.3; Parasound JC3+ Phono pre; Luxman M900u; Pure Fidelity Harmony with Origin Live Illustrious tonearm and PF Stratos cart; Naim NDX 2; Naim 555PS; Innuos Zen MK III (Roon Core); EtherRegen; Volti Audio Rivals; JL Audio e112 (2); Transparent Super Speaker Cables; Transparent Super interconnects; Transparent Premium & High Performance power cables; Naim Fraim; Stillpoints Ultra SS; Symposium Ultra platforms; IsoTek EVO3 Sigmas conditioner; GIK Acoustics absorption and diffusion panels

We have separate rooms, but neither is a dedicated space. 2 channel rig is in the main floor great room, which is open to kitchen and dining, so it has some acoustic compromises, but still sounds darn good. We're building a basement media room with surround and height channels right now. This space will be a combined living/media/bar room, and therefore has compromises of its own. Still, there's no easy or visually pleasing way to put the multichannel stuff upstairs, and naturally it's darker in the basement which makes for better movie watching. We're trying to do a system downstairs that pulls double duty for music, so it's still as close to "audiophile" stuff as the budget will allow.
    Jeff

Main System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: Topping D90SE; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Wireworld, Kimber, Cullin; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Basement Media Room
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100SC; Disc Player: Panasonic DB-UP9000; Surround Pre/Pro: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1; Power Amps: Apollon NC1200SL (custom 3-channel w/Sparkos SS2590 op amps), Apollon AS3600 6-channel; Speakers: Focal Kanta No. 3, Kanta Center, 300 ICW8 (x6); Subwoofer: Rythmik F18SE (x2); Cables: Wireworld, BlueJeans; Power: Torus RM20, Furman Elite 20PFi; Room Correction: Dirac Live w/ Bass Control; Video: Sony 77" A9G OLED

All in one room. Bryston SP3 is great for 2 channel and HT duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

HT vs Home Audio System

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    All in one room. Bryston SP3 is great for 2 channel and HT duty.

I have the SP3 digital preamp also. But it has become primarily a switching board. I use different DACs for 2-ch audio and multichannel, and also an Oppo 205 to handle 4K video since the SP3 cannot decode 4K.
    I also use the SP3 to manage time delays between speakers and subs.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Right, only one has video. But the physics of sound is exactly the same for both. Really comes down to what one's demands for "reproduction" are.
    Most "audiophiles" are actually "stereophiles". Their demands begin and end with stereo constructs. Others, like myself, are after something else, based on these objective facts of physical reality , nothing subjective there at all. That comes afterwards.
    Subjectively, stereophiles are satisfied with frontal stereo constructs, others want something akin to this which is physically impossible without at least (2) rear channels. 4 is the minimum. I consider this as stereo + 2, since all mains are capable of pure stereo, the other channels can suffice for both MCH music and movies as needed. Such systems can produced enhanced stereo as well. That's what I do with 99% of music, which is stereo. There is an "off" button if/when the effect is undesired.
    Good speakers won't have any issues with reproducing whatever signals they are sent. Sad ones will.
    If HT is involved, having a retractable screen is nice to keep the space between mains open for non movie listening. A wall mounted TV can accomplish the same. Or both, one for movies, the other for daily casual viewing, etc.
    As with all discussions here and elsewhere, it will come down to preferences and electro-acoustic/perceptual subject knowledge. Or lack thereof.

cheers,

AJ

VERY informative AJ. I really enjoy your posts. Very educational for me as a relative newb. Thank you!

cheers,

AJ

Good info AJ. On that TV in the middle, what I do is drape a large wool blanket over the 65" TV, it helps.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I have a few systems. Since my old house was in VA and I didn't have the basement finished for a bunch of years after I moved in, it is an integrated AV system with 11 channels (or 7.1.4 in Atmos terms) and a dedicated HT sub (Power Sound Audio) in addition to two old Rel Storm IIIs just used for music and crossed over very low. There is a pic of the main system below. I don't use the main system tons for HT as I have a projector (also used a projector and a 100 inch screen in the main system) and a 92 inch screen that folds into the master bedroom ceiling in a addition to another integrated AV system (with 7 channels or in Atmos terms 5.1.2) which I use as my UHD system (and I'll probably be upgrading the size of the UHD TV from 55 inches within the next year - just sit about 7 feet away). When I listen to music in those integrated systems I do cover the screen, even a portion of the projector screen in the main system which really isn't that reflective (vs. a TV).

Attached Images Attached Images
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Below is a pic of a wider view of the main room and the back-up system I have with the UHD TV
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Very nice Phil, one of these days, sigh....

2ch-only "purist". When I got my first "real" job I started out extremely interested in HT, with 2ch audio as an afterthought. This was in the early 2000s when flat screens were small and expensive, and front projectors were terrible (I bought a Panasonic ae300 front projector and was instantly disappointed, despite high gain screens and light control). Besides the bad display tech at that time, I discovered a far more serious problem for my HT aspirations - movies & TV have almost no re-watch value for me. And often, even the 1st watch isn't very good. As far as software goes, I learned that I care infinitely more about music than video. Honestly, as far as media goes - movies are good to kill time occasionally, but I could live without 'em. I'm also not much for watching concerts or enjoying music in surround.

So over the years, my 2ch hifi grew and grew in size & expense, while the HT gear changed and hobbled along for a while, then withered to nothing. At one point I tried the combined 2ch with a TV approach - but decided that music playback was the unquestioned priority. I finally removed the HDTV screen from my 2ch setup some 10 years ago. Good move! Now for video content, I get by with a very mediocre 2010s Panasonic Plasma in the bedroom, and just use its built-in speakers lol. Literally ALL the money is in the 2ch.

When we lived in Minneapolis I had two separate systems in two dedicated physically separate rooms. The biggest advantage to that setup was that I could listen to my stereo while the kids watched a movie. When we moved to Colorado and into a smaller house, I consolidated the stereo and HT systems into a single system in a dedicated room. There are no parallel walls in this room as our house has a 'prow' shaped angled front.

Overall I didn't lose anything from the previous 2 channel setup and gained a lot in the HT as it now uses the Stereo's front channel speakers instead of the less capable HT speakers I was running. The HT and Stereo have separate isolated and filtered mains supplies to limit any interference from the HT getting into the stereo.

A Logitech Harmony turns on only the gear needed for 2 channel or HT. I can also listen to 5.1 channel SACD source material using this setup without turning on the projector.

DSC_3484-1.jpg

DSC_3486.jpg
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

Great-looking setup. Thanks for sharing, Tom.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    I have the SP3 digital preamp also. But it has become primarily a switching board. I use different DACs for 2-ch audio and multichannel, and also an Oppo 205 to handle 4K video since the SP3 cannot decode 4K.
    I also use the SP3 to manage time delays between speakers and subs.
    There's an upgrade to the SP3 to allow it to pass through 4K. It's ~$1000 or so.

Mine is really just volume control for 2 channel. I use it in bypass mode and rely on my EMM gear.

Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    There's an upgrade to the SP3 to allow it to pass through 4K. It's ~$1000 or so.

Mine is really just volume control for 2 channel. I use it in bypass mode and rely on my EMM gear.

Yes, sorry I was not clear. I am familiar with the upgrade. I actually had it done to my unit. But the board upgrade, as you well pointed out, only allows the SP3 to pass 4k (it does not decode it). So I still use the Oppo 205 for that purpose. Thanks!

Banned

IMO, keeping a two-channel system separate from a home audio system is similar to keeping a Bentley separate from a BMW motorcycle. Both get you someplace, but in different ways and with a different quality of luxury ...

We may watch 8-10 hours of TV per week. So, for us a small 75" TV and a Martin Logan Sound-bar is more than sufficient. While we could build a much better TV system, there is just no reason too.

On the other hand, a two-channel audio system is what we enjoy the most. So, it's where we place our priorities.

Our new audio system will be delivered soon - thanks Mike. But along the way I researched some other systems. It is unfortunate, but one dealer tried to sell us on a very nice multi-channel system in lieu of a two-channel system, stating it would better serve our needs/purposes overall. Why not have one system that does both types of sound [fairly] well? I listened, but no sale. IMO, this dealer didn't understand the differences between two-channel and surround sound, etc. This seems to be an unfortunate trend away from two-channel audio ... (has been for years).

IMO, while there are some absolutely wonderful multi-channels systems that can deliver most of what a two-channel system can, it's still not the same experience or quality, etc. Perhaps this has to do with being raised on two-channel systems, but to me in a two-channel system the sound is different, more involving, precise, better sound-stage, imaging, and the way the music I listen to (jazz, soft rock) is meant to be heard. Of course, I'm assuming one has a good two-channel system that can deliver this ongoing experience ...

This is not to say or imply that a multi-channel system isn't any good and can't be better in some ways on some recordings meant for a multi-channel system, etc. They are just different - esp. for someone like me raised on two-channel audio.
    Last edited by Calvin; December 9, 2019 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    This is not to say or imply that a multi-channel system isn't any good and can't be better in some ways on some recordings meant for a multi-channel system, etc. They are just different - esp. for someone like me raised on two-channel audio.
    The MCH systems I describe are no different from 2ch systems. The LR front channels are exactly like you will have, no different. Same sound. Same room. That's why I said 2ch +.
    Unfortunately, 99.999999% of audiophiles have never heard a 2ch+ surround system (at least knowingly ) , just the whiz bang stuff they have at B&M stores . The center channel isn't on during 2ch. In my system there isn't one. Only surrounds. Those can be on, which is precisely why it sounds better than any 2ch system possibly can (physically). Read the links in my previous post.

My main audio rig is in a living room, in a TV room we have a 7.1 HT based on Kuro 5090 tv and Pioneer SC LX 82 and my first really audiophile spekers - PS 5.1 as fronts .
    The main HT system is relativaly inexpensive but in a dedicated room , Sony HW 50 together with Yamaha Aventage 3010 and 9.1 B&W speakers setup, 120 inches white matt screen.
    Aurender W20->Lampizator Pacific SE/Audio Aero La Fontaine->Ayon Crossfire III or Circle Labs A100-> Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26, 4x REL Carbon Special Subwoofers
    Analog : Fat Bob S with SME 5, Shelter Harmony, Tom Evans Groove+ SRX mk2, Muarah PSC with InteliClamp
    cabling: Duelund DCA 16GA, Acrolink, Vovox, Siltech, Transparent, Audio Phase , NxLT The Flame, FTA Callisto and Sinope usb, Fadel Art , Argentum , REL Bassline Blue

HT : Sony HW 50 ES, Oppo 93 EU, Darbee DVP-5000 ,Yamaha Aventage RX-A 3010 , B&W 9.1, screen 120 inches matt white

PS Sorry , I can’t cancel this post, just wanted to add the picture from the main HT system to the previous post , „Irishman” from Netflix, last weekend, the movie is a masterpiece imho.
    Aurender W20->Lampizator Pacific SE/Audio Aero La Fontaine->Ayon Crossfire III or Circle Labs A100-> Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26, 4x REL Carbon Special Subwoofers
    Analog : Fat Bob S with SME 5, Shelter Harmony, Tom Evans Groove+ SRX mk2, Muarah PSC with InteliClamp
    cabling: Duelund DCA 16GA, Acrolink, Vovox, Siltech, Transparent, Audio Phase , NxLT The Flame, FTA Callisto and Sinope usb, Fadel Art , Argentum , REL Bassline Blue

HT : Sony HW 50 ES, Oppo 93 EU, Darbee DVP-5000 ,Yamaha Aventage RX-A 3010 , B&W 9.1, screen 120 inches matt white

Banned

cheers,

AJ
    AJ,

I appreciate your post and links. The links were an interesting read. However, as I previously stated, the music I listen to was / is recorded for two-channel. So, for me it seems unnatural hearing it on 4, 6, or 8 speakers, etc. I'm not sure how else to state this, but I enjoy hearing the detail from only two speakers - more speakers just seems to hide, muffle, confuse some of the detail for me. I guess my brain is accustomed to processing it one way (two-channels).

AJ,

I appreciate your post and links. The links were an interesting read. However, as I previously stated, the music I listen to was / is recorded for two-channel. So, for me it seems unnatural hearing it on 4, 6, or 8 speakers, etc.
    Hi Calvin,
    The last link was about 2ch music. That's my source as well. However, as I noted, you've most likely never heard such a music specific enhanced stereo system, only the HT type stuff. Only 4 speakers are required, 2 stereo fronts just like yours... and 2 surrounds. They can't be "heard" if setup properly.
    I have done innumerable demos where folks had no idea it was enhanced. Again, this is not like an HT system where surround "effects" are intentionally audible. They sat within 1' of the "surrounds"...and could not hear them due to the decorrelation, which strips the human hearing system of any ability to localize the sound.
    The effect is difficult to describe to those who have not experienced, or have experienced primarily HT. For acoustic music like jazz and classical, especially classical, there is a sense of "realism" impossible with stereo. For electronic rock, etc, not so much. There it sounds unnatural as you note. Hence there is also an "off" button.

I guess my brain is accustomed to processing it one way (two-channels).
    Most likely .
    The systems I describe are your exact new stereo in room, with 2 additions, a processor and 2 surrounds. Technically, its then a "MCH" system. But when listening to pure stereo as you do now, without the processor/surrounds, its exactly the same.

cheers,

AJ

Audioshark

Mine at home is a blended system. I have a 100 inch Stewart screen which is built up into the ceiling and comes down when I flick a switch and a Sony SXRD projector (VERY old!). My home theater processor from the 90’s stopped working in May. I just now purchased a B stock Integra something or another. My Hegel rep also sells Integra. I waited for my wife to give me shit for not having our home theater working (she wanted to watch movies during Thanksgiving) before getting one. I use an old Bryston 9BSST2 amp for 5 of the 7 channels and some crappy Marantz amp for the height speakers. I don’t have a center channel, but may get an MBL 126C or 120C. I’m just not into TV/Movies as you can tell. I would much rather spin a record or listen to an album. I have it to appease Management.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Mine at home is a blended system. I have a 100 inch Stewart screen which is built up into the ceiling and comes down when I flick a switch and a Sony SXRD projector (VERY old!). My home theater processor from the 90’s stopped working in May. I just now purchased a B stock Integra something or another. My Hegel rep also sells Integra. I waited for my wife to give me shit for not having our home theater working (she wanted to watch movies during Thanksgiving) before getting one. I use an old Bryston 9BSST2 amp for 5 of the 7 channels and some crappy Marantz amp for the height speakers. I don’t have a center channel, but may get an MBL 126C or 120C. I’m just not into TV/Movies as you can tell. I would much rather spin a record or listen to an album. I have it to appease Management.

That sounds like our house. We watch very, very, few movies. My wife likes to watch "The Voice" on our HT systems, so sometimes we use the HT systems for music oriented TV shows.

We have an SVS 5.1 system in our downstairs listening room. That's where our new 2 channel system will reside. We also have an SVS 7.1 system in our upstairs living room. The HT electronic components are all Yamaha. I've had these HT systems about 10 years. They're virtually brand new. They get little use. They will get even less use once my new 2 channel system is set up.

Nothing wrong with the SVS systems at all. They're very high quality as HT systems go and their customer service is outstanding. We just much prefer listening to high end 2 channel music. I wish I had the money I initially put into the HT systems so I could invest it in high end 2 channel audio. We thought we would be using the HT systems much more than we do.

check this out: Dynavector's Conclusion

For true hi-fi music reproduction, traditional hi-fi technology which pursues only accurate signal and replay by means of advanced digital techniques is far from the truth. The recovery of the dispersive elements contained in the original sound in a listening room is now recognised as the important factor. Conventional 2 speakers stereo does not allow for this, neither do the multi-channel systems on offer.

Dynavector has concluded that the existing 2 speaker's stereo needs at least one more pair of speakers to develop the required dispersive conditions in the listening room. After ten years of research work, we have succeeded in producing the answer to this problem by developing a SuperStereo system.

SuperStereo System

As previously mentioned, a loudspeaker radiates sounds which are non-dispersive propagation waves. It is not possible for the loudspeaker itself to discriminate between non-dispersive or dispersive sound. To discriminate between the non-dispersive and dispersive components in sound directly radiated from the diaphragm of a speaker, the environment surrounding the speaker needs to be identical to the original environment. Perfect simulation of the original recording environment is theoretically not possible. But in our many trials over several years, we have found that even an approximate simulation can produce a life-like reality from the playback of recordings much closer to the original sound.

After much research, Dynavector has now perfected a SuperStereo processor which produces numerous group delays throughout the entire frequency range. The sound so produced is played through additional speakers. The additional speakers are located so as to face the main, front speakers. The interaction of the sound between the front and rear speakers produces significant group delays in the listening room. While the group delays are not identical to those in the original listening or recording environment, the feeling of life-like reality is greatly enhanced by the use of such a system for the playback of CD's, cassettes and LP's. Even by applying the SuperStereo technique to a limited frequency range, the improvement is striking, but there are several grades of SuperStereo processors to cater for all users from the basic music lover to the most enthusiastic audiophile.

Outstanding Features of SuperStereo

1. Any normal stereo system, whether modest or top end, can be used with a Dynavector SuperStereo processor without any change of equipment or speaker setting, and connection is straightforward.

2. Normal, compact speakers are recommended for the rear pair.

3. SuperStereo works very well in any environment. Room size and acoustics are unimportant and room-tuning devices are not needed. So SuperStereo does not interfere with room decor.

4. The listening point is not limited to a centre "hot spot". Almost any position, except near to any speaker, is enjoyable.

5. The playback of music can be enjoyed with a lifelike reality not achievable with a conventional stereo system, however expensive.

6. Poorly recorded material sounds much better with SuperStereo and monaural LP's can sound even better than modern stereo recordings. Many historic recordings by great masters of the past are revived to sound like the original concert performances.

7. Even with very small systems, by using a SuperStero processor, deep bass can easily be reproduced and dynamic range, smoothness and detailed resolution are much higher than in conventional stereo systems. The purchase of expensive equipment is not necessary to enjoy the real sound of music. And there is no need to worry about obsolescence from new digital "high tech" which constantly appears on the market.

8. The ultimate SuperStereo can be achieved by a step by step add on of further processors without great expense. Expensive speakers and amplifiers are not needed.

9. SuperStereo has many applications in audio including PC music, in car entertainment systems, home theatre, professional sound systems for theatres, PA systems, synthesisers and electronic instruments, the tailoring of studio acoustics and medical therapy systems. Patents have been granted world-wide.

For all the tech stuff, https://www.dynavector.com/essp/hi_fidelity.html

I first saw this several years ago, always wanted to hear it to see whether it lives up to what it says.

cheers,

AJ

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

That Dynavector article is nearly 20 years old. And the processor is no longer made. Interesting approach nonetheless.

I'm not surprised, back when I read it I think the rep is the only one in the U.S. to have one set up. It's tough swimming against the tide and hoping for a product to be successful.

That Dynavector article is nearly 20 years old. And the processor is no longer made. Interesting approach nonetheless.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I first saw this several years ago, always wanted to hear it to see whether it lives up to what it says.
    It's a mixture of science terms and science fiction, mostly the latter, with a lot of unscientific word salad nonsense in between. That's why there is no science/paper to review, nothing published on science journal sites, etc.
    About the only fact they got correct is that 4 minimum speakers (2 rear) are needed for real life envelopment.
    The part about it's impossible for the same speaker drivers to simultaneously produce plane waves and diffuse (leading edge free waves) is sorta correct...but they are using all wrong terms.
    Unsurprising it faded. Glad they stuck to making cartridges.

cheer,

AJ

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I'm not surprised, back when I read it I think the rep is the only one in the U.S. to have one set up. It's tough swimming against the tide and hoping for a product to be successful.
    One of the things that stood out to me was the confessional statement, "While the group delays are not identical to those in the original listening or recording environment" accenting my earlier point that the reproduction wouldn't be the same as the original. It's no wonder it's no longer around ...

Some of the newer music that is coming out though may make use of such-type newer technology that AJ and others enjoy and promote and thus the listener would probably find something like this both practical and enjoyable. But, while I've heard many other type systems, I know that nothing of the four-speaker variety is for me. I enjoy my music on an audiophile two-channel system. For me personally that ship has sailed ...

Great thing about audio though, you may normally have it your way ...

Some of the newer music that is coming out though may make use of such-type newer technology that AJ and others enjoy and promote
    Calvin, I listen to classical composers who have been dead for a couple hundred years, using stereo media, which has been around for nearly a hundred years. What newer??

I know that nothing of the four-speaker variety is for me.
    Including a very specific type you have never heard and are conflating with maybe Quadraphonic, Dynavector and HT, etc. whiz bang special effects, apparently.
    I do agree with you that this type reproduction experience is the opposite of what stereophiles seek and yes, unfortunately, while it is zero like Dynavector, Quad, HT etc, it does require 2 rear speakers.
    To each their own.

cheers,

AJ

Banned

Calvin, I listen to classical composers who have been dead for a couple hundred years, using stereo media, which has been around for nearly a hundred years. What newer??

Including a very specific type you have never heard and are conflating with maybe Quadraphonic, Dynavector and HT, etc. whiz bang special effects, apparently.
    I do agree with you that this type reproduction experience is the opposite of what stereophiles seek and yes, unfortunately, while it is zero like Dynavector, Quad, HT etc, it does require 2 rear speakers.
    To each their own.

cheers,

AJ
    AJ, I sincerely apologize that I didn’t make myself clearer. As to part one of your post, I don’t see the need to fix what isn’t broken on older music, so I see no need for such a four speaker type system. However, other newer genre music may benefit from such - I don’t know. However, this doesn’t concern me as I don’t listen to it.

As to point two, I agree that it isn’t what I and other audiophiles like me are seeking. But I’m not conflating anything. It’s just that two-channel works magnificently for us. It delivers fantastic high-fidelity sound reproduction, sound staging, imaging, and detail etc. Of course, I’m speaking of my older system, as Mike hasn’t delivered the new one yet. That one will even be better.

It’s great that you and others are pleased with your specific system sound. That’s the way it should be. I just don’t personally see a need for a change in my own system.

I hope that helps clarifies what I meant.

AJ, I sincerely apologize that I didn’t make myself clearer. As to part one of your post, I don’t see the need to fix what isn’t broken on older music, so I see no need for such a four speaker type system.
    No need to apologize. I presume you are not talking about classical, jazz and other forms of acoustic music. Those can be old and new. Modern recordings of course, tend to have much better fidelity to live/noise free vs old recordings.
    Yes, there is no benefit to a 2ch + stereo system with non acoustic (rock, electronic, etc) music, which is why there is an "off" button, turning it into a stereo exactly like yours.

As to point two, I agree that it isn’t what I and other audiophiles like me are seeking. But I’m not conflating anything.
    Well then I guess I owe you an apology. When did you hear a 2ch + system with decorrelated, inaudible even 1' away, rear channels?
    They are absolutely nothing like the Dynavector, Quad and HT etc systems, which I incorrectly thought you had conflated them with. Any details?
    The ultimate expression of that type system was the one JA and Wes of Stereophile experienced. Obviously those used to hearing the very best stereos were quite taken aback at how much better and more real ("scary" to a stereophile ) it sounded, but as we agree, that kind of fidelity to real isn't what most are chasing.
    Even Stereophiles founder admitted this. I do like rock, etc myself...and listen mainly in stereo, no rears active. Stereo is just fine there for me too.

cheers,

AJ

Banned

No need to apologize. I presume you are not talking about classical, jazz and other forms of acoustic music. Those can be old and new. Modern recordings of course, tend to have much better fidelity to live/noise free vs old recordings.
    Yes, there is no benefit to a 2ch + stereo system with non acoustic (rock, electronic, etc) music, which is why there is an "off" button, turning it into a stereo exactly like yours.

Well then I guess I owe you an apology. When did you hear a 2ch + system with decorrelated, inaudible even 1' away, rear channels?
    They are absolutely nothing like the Dynavector, Quad and HT etc systems, which I incorrectly thought you had conflated them with. Any details?
    The ultimate expression of that type system was the one JA and Wes of Stereophile experienced. Obviously those used to hearing the very best stereos were quite taken aback at how much better and more real ("scary" to a stereophile ) it sounded, but as we agree, that kind of fidelity to real isn't what most are chasing.
    Even Stereophiles founder admitted this. I do like rock, etc myself...and listen mainly in stereo, no rears active. Stereo is just fine there for me too.

cheers,

AJ
    AJ, when I moved to Naples, I initially moved to my friend’s home to babysit it for 2 years while he was in Europe, etc. He has three audio systems, one like you describe (but 6, not 4 speakers and no center). While he doesn’t like his equipment described on the WWW I will merely say that each of his systems is exceptional. I used all of them. And of course you already know that I like his two-channel the best.

My favorite genre of music has changed thru the years. If you would have asked me 10 years ago what my absolute favorite was I would have said classic rock music. I still have a lot of rock albums. Then when I moved to Naples I began listening to my friend’s jazz collections. My music tastes gradually changed. Now I enjoy jazz - esp female vocals the best. So, with my former Krell/B&W 802 system now gone (great for rock, but lacking IMO on jazz), I’m purchasing the new system from Mike. I feel it will excel at what I’m seeking, esp. on female vocals. But even it may be updated sometime next year if I can convince the boss of it. If the Magicos I receive work out hopefully the Magico M3s next year ...

He has three audio systems, one like you describe (but 6, not 4 speakers and no center). While he doesn’t like his equipment described on the WWW I will merely say that each of his systems is exceptional.
    Very cool, do you remember what processor was being used for the 2 rears and sides? Only one very specific one does the type of decorrelation required for music to be like the ones I'm referring to.

My favorite genre of music has changed thru the years. If you would have asked me 10 years ago what my absolute favorite was I would have said classic rock music. I still have a lot of rock albums. Then when I moved to Naples I began listening to my friend’s jazz collections. My music tastes gradually changed. Now I enjoy jazz - esp female vocals the best.
    I think pretty much all of us who have listened to music most our lives evolve through genres. I like them all, but have a tendency for mainly classical lately, which might explain why I found plain archaic frontal plane waves stereo lacking, even with the very best speakers, including some with variable directivity to specifically increase soundstage size commensurate with symphonic etc. As always, preferences vary.
    Hopefully you new system gets you where you desire.

cheers,

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marslo View Post
    PS Sorry , I can’t cancel this post, just wanted to add the picture from the main HT system to the previous post , „Irishman” from Netflix, last weekend, the movie is a masterpiece imho.
    Just watched it good movie. If you liked it. Casino with De Niro and Pesci is along the same lines and also quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    To each to their own.

Banned

Very cool, do you remember what processor was being used for the 2 rears and sides? Only one very specific one does the type of decorrelation required for music to be like the ones I'm referring to.
    No I don't remember everything in his system. Because of my friend's privacy issues, I'll PM you the parts of that system I do remember.

Only one very specific one does the type of decorrelation required for music to be like the ones I'm referring to.

AJ
    And that would be...?

And that would be...?
    Logic7 Music, David Griesinger

Logic7 Music, David Griesinger
    You mean a Lexicon processor?

Banned

Yes, Lexicon.

Harman...which includes Lexicon

Yes, Lexicon.
    Would that be something like the MC-1?
    I used to have one like 10 years ago. In fact, I think that it might be around in the attic somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

HT vs Home Audio System