Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Magico M3 vs Focal....

Hello all,

Would love to hear from those who have heard these two brand/models side by side. Currently looking to upgrade my Focal Utopia evo, looking for that magic in the midrange that I feel the Utopia is a bike lacking. Would it make sense to go up in the the Utopia like the Stella or jump ship to the M3; I've been told the M3 are hard to drive and lack bass.

I was looking to build a hybrid system: 2channel/AV 5/1 but have decided to change over to 2 channel

Krell 3 channel amp
    Krell phantom
    jl sub
    lampizator GG2
    Signature Rendu SE

I will most likely change to mono blocks (SS) in the near future

Livingroom: 15x25 hardwood floors with rugs/curtains
    music taste from rock to classical (not the grand orchestral stuff and no opera.

Re: Magico M3 vs Focal....

The dual midrange drivers Of the Focal Stella Evo might be just what you are looking for! I have not heard magico so cannot offer a comparison there.

maybe the magic is there and it's just time to audition different amps?
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

For your taste in music I would stick with the Focal. I am a Magico fan, however, IMO Focal has a bit more excitement that would suit Rock.

Magico has bass, it's just very defined. I find the sound quite different from Focal. Magico tends to be more what people refer to as an "audiophile" sound, where Focal is a bit more raw, for lack of a better adjective right now

I have no doubt Krell can drive Magico. If not mistaken, you are using a home theater preamp, if deciding not to go surround, that's where I'd make my change, get a dedicated stereo preamp of high quality.

You can try an experiment, go direct from your Lampi into your Krell power amp and see if the midrange is more to your liking. I'm assuming your GG has the variable output. If not, you may have to borrow another preamp. Either way, I'd experiment a bit before making any permanent change.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Audioshark

Magico M3’s have amazing bass. It’s deep and articulate and absolutely fills our 20 x 25 room. However, the problem is that many folks think “woofy, woofy” over bloated, resonating Bass is “more bass.” It’s just more bad bass. Magico Bass is so articulate and defined. You can really follow along those bass lines in a song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I like a solid foundation to my music and a warm, rich sound. Gryphon Antileon Evo + Magico M3’s will give you that, and still have articulate bass.

The M3’s, as much as any dynamic speaker I have heard, are transparent and uncolored. They really sound like the upstream equipment and have less of their own sound. As folks have said, they have articulate bass. That’s “who they are”. But their “articulateness” also carries thru to the rest of the frequency range. The M3’s have brought me tremendous joy listening to rock music, because with the right associated equipment, can also separate out individual instruments in a way that other speakers/equipment haven’t. The M3’s do it, but the upstream equipment has to be able to allow them to do it. The more you are willing to invest in outstanding upstream equipment the better the M3’s will sound. That’s NOT to say that the M3’s will necessarily sound bad with lesser equipment. Not at all! You just may not hear what they are capable of. They are capable of a LOT!
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

Hi Mike,
    How would you compare the magico M3 bass with the MBL 101e bass in terms of quality and quantity?
    Thanks,
    Anshul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Magico M3’s have amazing bass. It’s deep and articulate and absolutely fills our 20 x 25 room. However, the problem is that many folks think “woofy, woofy” over bloated, resonating Bass is “more bass.” It’s just more bad bass. Magico Bass is so articulate and defined. You can really follow along those bass lines in a song.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by apdoc2004 View Post
    Hi Mike,
    How would you compare the magico M3 bass with the MBL 101e bass in terms of quality and quantity?
    Thanks,
    Anshul
    The MBL Bass is adjustable, so you can dial it into the room. It’s also a band pass, so it sounds different, but equally good. Magico Bass is the king for me, for box speakers. It’s soooo good.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

M3s are not really difficoult to drive. They are not exactly SET friendly speaker, but any quality solid state amp will drive them with ease. In a 15x25 room you will get plenty of deep and super articulate bass. Once you experience the quality of Magico bass, you may never want to go back to any bass-reflex speaker.

I had Dagostino Momentum S200 a while back and loved the compination with a Golden Gate.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    If not mistaken, you are using a home theater preamp, if deciding not to go surround, that's where I'd make my change, get a dedicated stereo preamp of high quality.
    If you still want audiophile 2 channel, while keeping a HT set up, get a Bryston SP3 or SP4. Best of both worlds

Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    If you still want audiophile 2 channel, while keeping a HT set up, get a Bryston SP3 or SP4. Best of both worlds
    If considering a Bryston SP-4, I think it would be wise to also look at a Trinnov Altitude16.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Thank you everyone for chiming in with helpful insight and suggestions. After spending an afternoon with the M3, I have a better understanding of the characteristic sound that Magico does so well and that is to represent the natural sounds, conveying voices and instruments in such a precise, coherent, and dynamic manner; in short a level of realism not found in other speakers. Overall a good session and adding more reference to my repertoire. I've got some thinking to do...

I read something somewhere within the last whatever, where 10 of the pre-eminent HiFi reviewers listed their top 10 high-end speakers. 9 of them had Magico M3 in their list.

I own M3. Bass is not wanting. I also have S-Sub, bass is not wanting even more!

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong speakers but are people comparing apples to apples?

The Focal Stella Utopia III EVO cost 50k euro for a pair.
    The Magico M3 costs 109k euro for a pair.

That is a HUGE price gap.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Speaking of which, my room is almost the same size as Redphu's, and the M2s are working perfectly for me.

But Mike has greater experience with all of these speakers in different size rooms, so I defer to his judgment.
    Jon

@VT Skier

Can you describe your experience at choosing the M2 as the ones to purchase. What kind of music do you listen to and do you plan on using a sub in the future? Thanks.

Went to listen to a Focal Maestro Utopia EVO yesterday.

20191123_162234_HDR~2.jpg

Even driven by a set of Nagra HD preamp and monos, the midrange richness/fullness was wanting and the treble a bit too prominent.
    I think even the Magico or YG acoustics which are said to be rather neutral can better it in this aspect.

However I have to declare conflict of interest : I am a Magico S5 owner.
    MSB Select Transport & DAC (33 clock ; Mono Powerbases)
    Bespoke Audio Ultimate Silver passive preamp
    Totaldac D1-Drivers (xlr version)
    MC2 S1400 mono amps
    PLiXiR and Furman balanced transformers
    Lessloss C-Marc Firewall64

the Focal Stella EM Evo is 100k euro for a pair...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Trulyblue View Post
    the Focal Stella EM Evo is 100k euro for a pair...
    Welcome to the forum
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Redphu View Post
    @VT Skier

Can you describe your experience at choosing the M2 as the ones to purchase. What kind of music do you listen to and do you plan on using a sub in the future? Thanks.
    PM sent.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I agree with Mike- there is bass and there is Magico bass. Part I liked about Magico was the bass definition. The means the bass delivered was extremely accurate, defined and seemed to work in smaller spaces too. Auditioning the S3 MK II was a a changing experience and won’t compare with M series for sure. I have never quite heard anything else from other speakers before.

Turntable: VPI Prime - Ortofon Quintet S Black - VPI ADS
    Digital Source: dCS Bartok w/headphone amp
    Preamp: Soulution 520
    Amplifier: Soulution 511
    Speakers: Rockport Atria II
    Power conditioning- Shunyata Research Denali 6000T v1
    Power cord: AQ Thunder/Transparent Audio XL Gen 6
    Interconnect: Transparent Audio Super Gen 5 XLR and tonearm cable / Transparent Audio Gen 6
    Rack: Critical Mass Sotto Voce/ Critical Mass Black Platinum/MXR spike

Hello all

My Focals are still breaking in and initially the miss sounded a bit thin. With the right electronics and break in time there’s more texture now and they are sounding very good. With the magicos M3 there was an overall ease I felt during the listening session and the resolution to me was just pure magic. It’s like Focals just done better In every sense. Now I’m hearing the M2 has even more accuracy and resolution with a warmer sound; an overall “better” model (for me) and so my head is trying to get around that. Its wonderful really to be able to have access/afford to this level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    For your taste in music I would stick with the Focal. I am a Magico fan, however, IMO Focal has a bit more excitement that would suit Rock.

Magico has bass, it's just very defined. I find the sound quite different from Focal. Magico tends to be more what people refer to as an "audiophile" sound, where Focal is a bit more raw, for lack of a better adjective right now

I have no doubt Krell can drive Magico. If not mistaken, you are using a home theater preamp, if deciding not to go surround, that's where I'd make my change, get a dedicated stereo preamp of high quality.

You can try an experiment, go direct from your Lampi into your Krell power amp and see if the midrange is more to your liking. I'm assuming your GG has the variable output. If not, you may have to borrow another preamp. Either way, I'd experiment a bit before making any permanent change.
    I'm considering going with a dedicated stereo preamp and perhaps later on some monoblocks. Looking at the AR Ref 10 or Merrill Audio Christine preamp. Any thoughts on system synergy with my current set up or recomendations would be appreciated:

Krell 403 E
    Lampizator Pacific SE
    Focals Utopia
    Sonore Signature

budget 10-15k new or second hand

Asking for recommendations without setting a budget limits what members might pitch at you.

With the Krell my choice would be Christine, the match is going to be extremely neutral, leaving the flavoring to the Lampi.

I have not heard ARC with Krell, they are so different I hesitate to guess the synergy. Sometimes brands you think wouldn't work, do end up sounding decent.

I haven't heard specifically a Christine with your amp either but I feel familiar enough with each brand to expect what the result would be, each are neutral in sonic character and differentially balanced.

I'm considering going with a dedicated stereo preamp and perhaps later on some monoblocks. Looking at the AR Ref 10 or Merrill Audio Christine preamp. Any thoughts on system synergy with my current set up or recomendations would be appreciated:

Krell 403 E
    Lampizator Pacific SE
    Focals Utopia
    Sonore Signature

budget 10-15k new or second hand

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

@Mr Peabody

Appreciate your insight.

I'm looking around at the second hand market and have located additional candidates:

Preamp:
    Esoteric Grand C1
    Constellation Virgo III
    D'Agostino Momentum

Amps:
    MC 601 or 611
    Centaur II 500 mono

Again looking for detail, and separation, accuracy ( "live experience") with good speed/attack.

D'Agostino is owned by many members here and would fit your needs.

I've always enjoyed what I've heard from Constellation.

I have little experience with Esoteric. DAC's I've heard have been highly detailed and neutral. I heard one system of all Esoteric and I personally found it too clinical, just didn't engage me. Keep in mind variables that effect a system, and you might be able to match one piece well in a system with other gear.

From your comments on your goal, I don't think McIntosh is what you want.

You might start another thread to see if owners and prior owners of some of these brandsmight provide more insight.

@Mr Peabody

Appreciate your insight.

I'm looking around at the second hand market and have located additional candidates:

Preamp:
    Esoteric Grand C1
    Constellation Virgo III
    D'Agostino Momentum

Amps:
    MC 601 or 611
    Centaur II 500 mono

Again looking for detail, and separation, accuracy ( "live experience") with good speed/attack.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M3 vs Focal....