Suncoast Audio goes to the EXTREME - MBL XTreme Reference System - Page 11
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suncoast Audio goes to the EXTREME - MBL XTreme Reference System

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I just received my copy of TAS today and read the review of the X-tremes. Just the review I would have expected. Even 10-11 years after first hearing them nothing in my audio experience has equaled that afternoon. There are many excellent speakers to choose from. This is one of only two speakers that I have speaker envy. Oh those fortunate few who don't have to weigh the pro's and con's of such a purchase.
    The X-Treme’s would look wonderful in your listening room, Jim. If I was building a new system from scratch, I would be giving serious consideration to the 101E Mk2’s in my more modest sized room.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    The X-Treme’s would look wonderful in your listening room, Jim. If I was building a new system from scratch, I would be giving serious consideration to the 101E Mk2’s in my more modest sized room.

Ken
    Ken, the X-tremes would not work in my current 2-channel room. A speaker like that needs room to breathe and I wouldn't want them in our living room. That means the best option for a large speaker set-up would be moving stuff around in our lower level which has plenty of space. Now if I was only willing to part with that kind of money on audio.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

3. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just received my copy of TAS today and read the review of the X-tremes. Just the review I would have expected. Even 10-11 years after first hearing them nothing in my audio experience has equaled that afternoon. There are many excellent speakers to choose from. This is one of only two speakers that I have speaker envy. Oh those fortunate few who don't have to weigh the pro's and con's of such a purchase.
    Jim -

I’m in complete agreement with you. I’ve heard many ultra-priced speakers and systems; none have impressed me as much as the Extremes. These speakers are absolutely fantastic.

I would like to see MBL develop a reference system (between the 101 Es and the Extremes) and trickle down the Extreme concept (pair down from 4 tweeters and mids to 2, remove the top “surround” tweeter and do 4 subs down from 6). That would be more affordable and easier to implement in a smaller room.

Mike

5. Likes Alpinist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ken, the X-tremes would not work in my current 2-channel room. A speaker like that needs room to breathe and I wouldn't want them in our living room. That means the best option for a large speaker set-up would be moving stuff around in our lower level which has plenty of space. Now if I was only willing to part with that kind of money on audio.

Jim, what a fantastic room!
    They surely would fit in there perfectly...

Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

7. Likes soastrup liked this post

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11