Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Vandersteen Granite Bases

Has anyone added the bases to their Model 7s? I am curious what differences you heard.

I just ordered them at the advice of Richard who thought they were more likely to make a bigger improvement in sound than adding the System 9 subs. When I last saw him at Axpona he explained how the biggest issue with the Model 7s is the lack of mass for the cabinet. The bases were designed to address that flaw.

I will report back after I have had them for a week or so.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

Re: Vandersteen Granite Bases

My granite bases were installed yesterday. It is quite a process to do it correctly. John and Tom from Audio Connections spent 3 hours in my room installing them and realigning the Model 7s. Each base weighs about 85 pounds.

I will post some listening impressions once I have spent some time with them.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

Waiting for that report...
    With photos !

Well...it has only been 2 days but there is a definitely better focus for the bass and mid range. Not that either of these were bloated but I can hear how things have tightened up.

Here are a couple photos:

Attached Images Attached Images

They look great.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    Well...it has only been 2 days but there is a definitely better focus for the bass and mid range. Not that either of these were bloated but I can hear how things have tightened up.

Thanks a lot.
    They are big and they look great with the same format as the speaker base.

Very nice looking. Glad to hear that you’re enjoying the sonic benefits.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Very nice looking. Glad to hear that you’re enjoying the sonic benefits.

Ken
    What’s interesting is that John from Audio Connection called Richard about my room and thought I should consider getting the system nine subs but Richard said the granite bases are more important. During the installation Richard called John and asked how things were going. It is great to work with a small company like Vandersteen.

What’s interesting is that John from Audio Connection called Richard about my room and thought I should consider getting the system nine subs but Richard said the granite bases are more important. During the installation Richard called John and asked how things were going. It is great to work with a small company like Vandersteen.
    It looks like virtually your whole system is from small companies (like mine, although yours is on a higher level ). Every time I drive on I-5 between Sacramento and Kettleman City I think of Vandersteen when I see the exit sign for Hanford (like I think of Wyred4Sound a bit later on the same drive when I go through Atascadero, and then later of Vandersteen again when I go through Nipomo, where their subwoofer amp/X-over is designed and built).
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Bespoke bases, nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

You made the right choice getting the integral granite bases. They do a great job of adding mass to the speaker cabinets and reducing resonance.

Handing off the lowest bass from dual opposing 12 inch aluminum cone subwoofers in a push-pull configuration (a brilliant design) to a single 13 inch paper/rohacell/paper sandwich cone subwoofer does not appeal to me either logically or sonically. I’ve listened to the Sub 9’s many times and in my opinion, the dual 12 inch internal subwoofers have better articulation and lower distortion.

Richard is really hands on and engaged with the customer. He was on the telephone with my dealer’s technician when he rebiased my M7-HPA monoblocks. He also followed up with me to ensure that I was satisfied with the change.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team