Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Buying Advice for Records

There’s a Lot of Music out there, much on-line, in your local record store, and millions I presume are still in homes that once played these black discs.

For those of you who have record stores nearby, I am sure it it is a great feeling knowing you scored that something special!

Tell us about how you go on the hunt, some of your best scores, genre be damned!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Re: Buying Advice for Records

with vinyl, once you get really into it, soon you realize just how much the pressing quality has to do with what we hear. a great record will sound better on a (well set up) modest priced vinyl front end, than an ordinary pressing on the very best turntable. media quality trumps all in vinyl. which is different than digital where most versions of the same digital recording sound much more similarly.

the quickest, easiest, most fool proof way to acquire great sounding vinyl is to buy 45rpm vinyl. you do want mostly 45rpm vinyl that is analog based. the digitally based titles are very inconsistent. personally i would rather own the source file than the 45 pressing. 45rpm are not the cheapest; but if you purchase 25, or 50, or 100 good 45rpm albums you will have a base line of great sounding music to be able to use as a reference for how great music can sound. go to the Acoustic Sounds website and find the top sellers for 45rpm vinyl and buy a few titles you like. try those, then a few more.

this is what i did 25 years ago when i got into vinyl after being away from it for 15 years while my kids were growing up. i was very lucky that this was at the same time that Classic Records started their 45 reissue series. then Acoustic Sounds did their AP series, Music Matters did theirs......and so on. i have most all of those and they are still the back bone of my collection.

and at this point i have about 95% of all the 45rpm pressings that have been done. about 80% of the time a 45 will be the best way to hear any music, even better than an original pressing. and it's typically much cheaper than an OP too.

of course; you are welcome any time to come over and hear any of my 45's on my system before you buy them on line.

i'm up for any excuse to listen to 45's.

Mike, I took your lead when you mentioned this before, and after I drop the 45s on the table I do agree you can hear the difference - and a repeat of full disclosure just when I thought I was out, your to blame for bringing me back to the table, pun intended!

I did buy Frank Sinatras, Frank SInatra, at 33 allegedly unopened, guessing circa ‘63 and the price was under $50.00. The album has some visible and audible damage on it, is it playable yes, but not of quality. This has not discouraged me, just made me aware of the need to learn, including if some sellers restring wrap albums.

I was shocked to hear the 45 rpm Doors Soft Parade A/P really made preference in listening over the digital version - I don’t know if the “no space gap” is due to the Brinkmann’s use of tubes that do naturally warm things up?

Jefferson’s Airplanes Surrealistic Pillow from Mofi’s 45 at first pass gave the nod to digital, will have to listen again.

I just took a chance on some Abbey Road half speed masters, and can’t recall what I just bought but seen the process on video and it’ll be interesting.

So the safer bets are the names and formats mentioned.

Now comes learning how people hunt for the gems in the local shops, my thought is start closer to home versus the internet.

Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I’m sure many of you know this, but I’m discovering how to buy the classics via a street wise approach.

Discogs does offer information to qualify sought after purchases, needed for local and internet scavenge hunts

In this case, I am after some Stones albums, and realize recording wasn’t there forte, like many of the bands.

The fine print below in the screen shot related to engravings is what I was after, and the record I bought is a exact match.

In the record cleaning machine it went for a double cycle.

This a U.K. pressing, top opening, with a zipper. Albeit, it is tarnished and I need to figure out how to clean it so it functions.

Trivia - Little Joe, from Lou Reeds Walk on the Wild Side was a part of Andy Warhols circa and modeled for the record photo shoot. The Stones at this point were fueled by sex, drugs and rock and roll!

Playing this makes me grin ear to ear, and I will bet that enjoyment will expand when my new table gets here.

This album came out in April of ‘71, and I was 1.5 years old, so I can say I’m older then this record.

Sound quality is very acceptable, a few low level pops and clicks scattered in 3 areas, nothing to cringe as it’s every description of analog to the highest level.

Oh can an album sound good that’s almost 50 years old? Ah, YES!

Re: Buying Advice for Records

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street - Abbey Roads Half Speed Remaster

With the U-Turn Orbit Special, Ortofon Blue 2M (MM) playing as the source, I am really digging this - a safe buy!

Half Mastered by Abbey Road Studios, Pressed in Germany under Polydor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team