Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Tidal versus Quobuz

What are your opinions of sound quality of Tidal versus Quobuz streaming on a Lumin. I have a T2 and thought Quobuz was going to sound better than Tidal but at this point I'm not so sure.

Re: Tidal versus Quobuz

I've always thought Qobuz sounded better on multiple brands of streamers including Lumin.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I've always thought Qobuz sounded better on multiple brands of streamers including Lumin.
    Even taking out MQA vs Hi-Res variable, 16/44.1 Qobuz sounds better than 16/44.1 Tidal to you?

My impression of reading Roon forum is that more people prefer Qobuz to Tidal than the other way round. However, some of them are influenced by their anti-MQA stance.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Yes Peter and that was using the D1/Sbooster, NT-505, Oppo Sonica, Bridge II and three different Auralic models including the G1. Tidal is getting better to my ears lately but for the longest time after the MQA phenomenon started an upper mid-range grain appeared and seemed to coincide with their content servers overloading and dropping out. As the reliabilty has returned the sound has gotten better. I still however give the edge to Qobuz in both of my systems through multiple changes from the streamers through to speakers.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Tidal is getting better to my ears lately but for the longest time after the MQA phenomenon started an upper mid-range grain appeared and seemed to coincide with their content servers overloading and dropping out. As the reliabilty has returned the sound has gotten better.
    That's an interesting observation. Do you have LPS for the modem, router, switch(es)? Are your streamers wired to the router/switch or goes through a WiFi to Ethernet device? Ever tried any sort of isolation such as fiber conversion or GigaFOIL?
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter

At the present they are all hard wired to a Mesh network pod. At one point I had the D1 and the Bridge II in the same system so I was using an un-managed switch between the pod and the two hard wired streamers. My Xfinity modem is straight AC into an APC UPS to the wall outlet. No aftermarket isolation devices like the Gigafoil as I don't have any desire to make my streaming complicated. The Aries G1 is plugged in to a PSA Power Plant with a quality Digital specific TWL power cord. The Teac in the Family Room system uses the same power cord into a SurgeX and both it and the Aries are both connected to the Mesh pods with a Supra ethernet cable.

I'm curious how you can set a level playing field while comparing streaming services.

First there is the issue of level matching. Can you assume that the levels on identical pieces are the same on each service? Different encoding processes are used for each. Is there a way to compare levels easily? Even a small change in level will favor the louder service.

Then there is the issue of understanding if the source is identically mastered in both services. I suppose there are some records where this is possible, but I've found it vexingly difficult to figure out exactly what source master each service is playing.

I'm not dissing anyone's observations here - it's just that I'm having a hell of a time deciding which sounds better with casual listening. Sometimes they sound the same, sometimes I hear gross differences that I can't believe are caused by the services themselves - so I assume I am listening to different files.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

I personally could not tell a difference between the two when playing 16/44. I kept Tidal only because it had a bigger library (at the time). I do realize that Qobuz offers fulll hi Resolution while Tidal does not (since MQA is lossy), but that does not bother me since I am using 16/44 and upsampling via software. I am hoping for Amazon HD to be able to connect with Roon and if that happens I will move to Amazon.

We all hear what we hear so it is good we have two choices. I have both services but only use Tidal when something I am looking for specifically is not on Qobuz as they are still bargaining with some of the smaller distributors.

I am curious nicoff , how can MQA be lossy ?
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

The differences between Tidal And Quobuz aren't related to the sound quality of either IMO. The differences are content and format.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
    How can it not be?

"MQA is NOT lossless, the original signal is never recovered, estimate to recover at most 17bits (reduces the sampling rate), reduces the frequency range, SNR reduced by 3bit, aliasing with artifacts at 18kHz. MQA encoding filters manipulates drastically the original source."

You can read the whole story here: https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/hi...-offering-mqa/
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
    See link posted by Mep above. Also another link here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revie...cautions-r701/

Regardless of whether it is lossy, I believe MQA still has an advantage over redbook (some people will disagree and I respect that), especially when it's free with Tidal HiFi subscription. Going beyond redbook with Qobuz costs quite a bit more.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I've always thought Qobuz sounded better
    Just talked to somebody who has the same view. In my spare time I'll try to digitally compare 16/44.1 of the same tracks from the two services, although I'm not sure I can get any useful or valid result or how long this will take. If anyone has suggestions of 16/44.1 tracks that you believe to be from the same master, please let me know - MQA and Hi-Res are excluded.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter

I don't consider $5 a month more a month to be quite a bit more and in over two years with either the UK or US service have never had a drop out which for about six months was a constant with Tidal regardless of the DNS including Cloudfare. As I said both the service and sound quality have improved this year but at this point I am satisfied with the $25 a month Hi-Res service from Qobuz and am just waiting for them to fill out the rest of their US catalog so I can cancel Tidal.

I wish Qobuz offered a family plan, my Wife and Kids use Tidal, and I use both with 90% to Qobuz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

If I'm not mistaken, you are allowed to use the same Qobuz account on up to three devices, but they cannot be used simultaneously.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Just curious, does listening to Qobuz or Tidal in a moving vehicle create more drop outs? I seem to experience more drop outs while listening to Qobuz or Tidal in a moving vehicle. Can't prove it though.

I had both Tidal and Qobuz. I found I preferred the sound quality of Tidal cd quality and MQA over Qobuz cd quality and Hi-Res by the slightest of margins on my system. I did end up cancelling Qobuz but could have been happy with it if I wasn't trying to be so picky. I still prefer the sound quality of an actual CD or SACD over both of the services but since I am lazy I generally use Tidal. Since everything is system dependent I can see where some would prefer Qobuz over Tidal and visa versa.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Denali 6000v2 Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

I'm still using Tital and Qobuz daily. Lately I've been playing with upsampling from both to 32bit 192kHz if possible with the i7 transporter. My main complaint about Tital at least as far as their web site is concerned is I always feel like I'm walked into the wrong neighborhood when I jump into it. Qobuz has such a good classical selection that I find it hard to give up on Qobuz. And the HiRez sound it very good. On my system I can't say MQA is leaps and bounds better than my simple upsampling so far. I have Amazon Prime but until I can run it on Room or with the Lumin I'm just not going to look into it.
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
    I have Amazon Prime but until I can run it on Room or with the Lumin I'm just not going to look into it.
    You may use AirPlay to play Amazon Music on an iOS device to Lumin. This is why we released Firmware 11.7 to improve AirPlay.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
    I had both Tidal and Qobuz. I found I preferred the sound quality of Tidal cd quality and MQA over Qobuz cd quality and Hi-Res by the slightest of margins on my system.
    Since you like MQA sound, do you happen to like SDLY2 filter of your K-01X?
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Just curious, does listening to Qobuz or Tidal in a moving vehicle create more drop outs? I seem to experience more drop outs while listening to Qobuz or Tidal in a moving vehicle. Can't prove it though.
    Although I never tested this scenario, I guess this should be normal depending on your region and cellular service coverage and your smartphone, since cellular data service is far from perfect. Try downgrading the audio quality in the corresponding app when you are in a vehicle. Or try Spotify instead.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter, I only use the K-01x to play CD's & SACD's but I do believe I use the SDLY2 filter setting. For streaming and hi-res downloads I have my Aurender N10 feeding my Berkeley MQA DAC.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Denali 6000v2 Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    You may use AirPlay to play Amazon Music on an iOS device to Lumin. This is why we released Firmware 11.7 to improve AirPlay.
    Thanks for the information Peter. I may look into that.
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Qobuz Studio price reduction to $14.99

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/music/streaming/offers
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Qobuz: How do I switch/upgrade to Studio Premier
    https://try.qobuz.com/faq-studio-premier/
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Is anyone successfully streaming Qobuz UPnP from a Mac (10.14)? I'm about ready to look beyond this D2. Audirvana won't run well either, it runs a little. Qobuz not at all. The only Mac desktop software I find that will stream at all (UPnP) is Linn Kazoo. Put another way, Linn fires up 100% every time, nothing else will.

Every time I get on this sub forum I feel like I'm a dinosaur in the twilight zone. I have so much to learn and so much ground to make up. I know this is all basic computer 101 for people who were born in the '80s or later. Heck, I don't know a megabyte from a UPnP. All I know is what my ears like. And I know how to tickle them in an analog way. But when it comes to computer logic, basic and intermediate computer operations, digital, and streaming, I'm lost. I'd love to learn more about it. But I don't even know where to start. The terminology alone is daunting. Sometimes I feel like I'm staring up at Mt. Everest. Me thinks I was born about 30 years too early.

Quote Originally Posted by XRS View Post
    Is anyone successfully streaming Qobuz UPnP from a Mac (10.14)? I'm about ready to look beyond this D2. Audirvana won't run well either, it runs a little. Qobuz not at all. The only Mac desktop software I find that will stream at all (UPnP) is Linn Kazoo. Put another way, Linn fires up 100% every time, nothing else will.
    Ideally you wouldn't be streaming any actual audio from the Mac to LUMIN D2 in that scenario. LUMIN D2 should be streaming directly from the Qobuz servers. Is there a specific reason you want to stream from a computer (DSP, or some other processing for example?).

Most common operation would be to use the LUMIN App to browse Qobuz, select the music and then set a playlist playing.
    [Associated with LUMIN]

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Every time I get on this sub forum I feel like I'm a dinosaur in the twilight zone. I have so much to learn and so much ground to make up. I know this is all basic computer 101 for people who were born in the '80s or later. Heck, I don't know a megabyte from a UPnP. All I know is what my ears like. And I know how to tickle them in an analog way. But when it comes to computer logic, basic and intermediate computer operations, digital, and streaming, I'm lost. I'd love to learn more about it. But I don't even know where to start. The terminology alone is daunting. Sometimes I feel like I'm staring up at Mt. Everest. Me thinks I was born about 30 years too early.
    There’s multiple levels and at entry you only really need to know how to hook it up, and this can be walked through on the phone, then you can go further in. Doesn’t take much to hear music out the gate.

Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    There’s multiple levels and at entry you only really need to know how to hook it up, and this can be walked through on the phone, then you can go further in. Doesn’t take much to hear music out the gate.

Yeah, I can usually hook things up without much difficulty and get them up and running. And maybe I know a little more than I let on. But I'm seriously computer and digitally challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by thingswelike View Post
    Ideally you wouldn't be streaming any actual audio from the Mac to LUMIN D2 in that scenario. LUMIN D2 should be streaming directly from the Qobuz servers. Is there a specific reason you want to stream from a computer (DSP, or some other processing for example?).

Most common operation would be to use the LUMIN App to browse Qobuz, select the music and then set a playlist playing.
    Thanks. Yes, I am streaming from their servers. Modem>SGP108 Switch>Wired to Lumin D2. I'm just using the provided desktop app (Tidal, Qobuz) for browsing and playlists, the point being the 27" screen. I don't have an ipad. I guess I'll have to buy one thereby adding another device to operate the Lumin. (forget the iphone app, only works decent for toggling options)

As far as (being on topic) Tidal vs Qobuz I find I need both libraries and they both sound acceptable at Hi-Res.

Quote Originally Posted by XRS View Post
    (forget the iphone app, only works decent for toggling options)
    I guess the screen size could be an issue, but since we launched the iPhone version, I have to say I use it exclusively these days.
    But curating playlists is best done on the desktop or web apps from Qobuz/TIDAL themselves.

It's also worth noting that this was posted on our facebook page a little while ago:
    https://www.facebook.com/luminmusic/...56247001179664
    [Associated with LUMIN]

When is soon?

If you have to use the desktop, please use Linn Kazoo. We do not provide schedules for future features.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Well both sound the same to me. I cannot make a difference between 16 bits and 24 bits just like famous composers, sound engineers, artists cannot make this difference when they play blindtests conducted by journalists (I can give sources but it is in French - Le Monde newspaper for instance). Honestly, my point of view is that no one can make a difference but this is my point of view. It is a psychological matter : you believe you have a better sound using Qobuz rather than Spotify but too many people cannot make this difference in blindtests. You believe it because you want to have state-of-the-art products and files. And between us, it is so nice to have a message "192K / 24bits" displayed on your Lumin player (or other). Again, this is only my point of view.

So the choice between the 2 will be based on the app behaviour and design, on the reliability and on the ease of use with other devices. Tidal is clearly better on this but Qobuz has very talented curators for jazz and classical.

Just signed up for Quboz a few days ago. Some initial thoughts comparing it to Tidal:

1) The stand-alone apps are comparable in ease of use and design.
    2) The sound quality is comparable as well. Tidal might be a tad bit more open, but the difference is not enough to distinguish the two.
    3) I have found several albums on Tidal that are not on Quboz. I've only found two albums on Quboz that are not on Tidal.
    4) Quboz has a better jazz selection. Tidal has a better classic R&B and Pop selection (more obscure titles than Quboz).

As it stands now, I wouldn't choose one over the other for any reason other than quality of service (drop outs, response to customer complaints, etc.). I'll keep both for now and decide later.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Wondering what’s the difference between the premier and sublime. Wasn’t clear to me at Qobuz site.

Premier took the place of the Basic plan and Sublime and now discount downloads are only with Sublime + at least in the US. The European plans are still marketed differently. If you don't plan on buying a lot of discounted downloads then Premier gets you everything streaming wise.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Tidal versus Quobuz