How to position your speakers perfectly
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

How to position your speakers perfectly

Best speaker placement tutorial and best music for speaker placement
    Having just acquired a pair of Harbeth P3ESR speakers I'm having fun looking for the ultimate speaker placement.

I have downloaded the Sound Liaison DXD sampler https://www.soundliaison.com/index.p...-music-sampler as it was recommended to me as being a great speaker placement tool.
    (Using the coupon code “XFI2019” you can download the 352DXD for €10 or the24/ 96 files for €5.)

Especially the phase coherent One Microphone recordings on the sampler seems excellent for that purpose:
    These guys and this recording just rocks. Pace, rhythm, tone and soundstage are just off the charts. The precise placement of all four of the musicians perfectly matches the photos of the sessions. The balance of all four instruments is darn near perfect. As you can no doubt tell, I am a huge fan of this recording. It is one of the best in terms of recording quality I have ever heard. Of course, and as always, your view of the actual music content may vary quite considerably from mine. Nonetheless, I think we would all agree that this recording sounds sensational. ” source; https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revie...cordings-r813/

On the net i.e. youtube, there are a great number of tutorials in speaker placement.
    Any of these you would especially recommend?

https://www.harbeth.co.uk/speakers/userguide.php

My friend Robert from Melbourne forwarded these questions that he posted on a local forum. I thought we might be able to help him out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to position your speakers perfectly

I suggest checking out Jim Smith's book, "Get Better Sound". It is inexpensive, a great reference, and a excellent guide!
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | T+A AMP 8 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special | Ortofon 2M Blue | SimAudio 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Furman Elite 15i | Burmester Audio Car System | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

3. Thanks Jim Smith thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I suggest checking out Jim Smith's book, "Get Better Sound". It is inexpensive, a great reference, and a excellent guide!

Agreed, Jim's book is highly valuable. Pay special attention to the discussion about positioning the listening seat first. This is the single most important step in room setup and generally trumps anything that can be done with speaker position. Listening position needs to be placed in the room where there is smooth, even bass. This can be done by ear, and more easily (in my view) through measurement. Easy, free, and highly effective.
    Last edited by MPW; November 4, 2019 at 05:24 PM. Reason: wrong word used
    Morgan

5. Thanks Jim Smith thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPW View Post
    Agreed, Jim's book is highly valuable. Pay special attention to the discussion about positioning the listening seat first. This is the single most important step in room setup and generally trumps anything that can be done with speaker position. Listening position needs to be placed in the room where there is smooth, even bass. This can be done by ear, and more easily (in my view) through measurement. Easy, free, and highly effective.
    Awesome book
    Chris

(2 Chl): Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32 mk11, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

7. Thanks Jim Smith thanked for this post
    Likes MPW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the P3 Anniversary edition. Get in touch if you want to know my experiences concerning placement.