Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Best preamps ? Manley Steelhead or Atmasphere MP 1 ?

Anyone around having one of these 2 fabulous ( described as so ..) preamps ?

I'd love to hear some descriptions, opinions..
    Regarding the Manley : is it ( for vinyl playing ) really useful to be able to choose between various cuvres frequencys to play properly different mono lables = RIAA, or before, Decca curve, or Columbia curve... ?

Re: Best preamps ? Manley Steelhead or Atmasphere MP 1 ?

Both excellent options IMO. Do you have records that would need different equalization curves? I personally don't have a single record that doesn't use RIAA.

You may also want to look at VTL, as that is the less industrial-looking consumer sister company of Manley: VTL - Who We Are.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Yes, I do have lots of record which may have different equalization curves, as I have around 5000 LP's, 30 to 50% of them being mono...
    So before 1958 / 59 and the RIAA area standard: in the early 50's, you had the Decca curve, for example ; there could be differences between Columbia ( French or English ), Voix de son Maitre, Vega , L'Oiseau Lyre, Ducretet Thomson, Pathé, early american pressings, etc...
    Thanks, I'll have a look at VTL

You might also want to take a look at the recently released Gold Note PH-1000 from Italy.

https://www.analogueseduction.net/ph...amplifier.html

They are distributed in your country by Advance Audio in Lyon.

https://www.avanceaudio.fr/

The less expensive PH-10 with two inputs and six RIAA curves was universally acclaimed.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Abendroth View Post

is it ( for vinyl playing ) really useful to be able to choose between various cuvres frequencys to play properly different mono lables = RIAA, or before, Decca curve, or Columbia curve... ?
    It most certainly is useful to be able to adjust phono play back EQ Curves with a mono lp collection of your size. I too have a sizable mono classical record collection and changing to a phono preamp (Sentc EQ-11) with a handful of adjustable curves does allow a more accurate representation of the recorded event. This is especially true when combining a mono phono cartridge in the setup along with an adjustable preamp.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Thanks a lot Mike. Yes of course I do have a very good genuine mono cartridge ( Pierre Clément ...the L7, the best one )
    According to you, would you be able to "express / quantify " the gain - improvement during the listening, by using really the proper EQ curve ?
    10% better more or less ?! Is it precisely noticeable, ...or you just feel a global better impression ?

It's true, on my side, for ex. with moo Decca, that sometimes, suddenly, a pressing sounds great..; but then the next one is very disapointing - nothing seems to "go out of the vinyl " !

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    It most certainly is useful to be able to adjust phono play back EQ Curves with a mono lp collection of your size. I too have a sizable mono classical record collection and changing to a phono preamp (Sentc EQ-11) with a handful of adjustable curves does allow a more accurate representation of the recorded event. This is especially true when combining a mono phono cartridge in the setup along with an adjustable preamp.

Sounds like your question about curves is not about useful but rather a requirement given your existing records. If you don't use a matching curve, your treble and bass will be several dB off depending on the frequency.

I don't think Manley, Atma-Sphere, or VTL have support for non-RIAA curves, but I could be mistaken. Gold Note, CH Precision (optional board), and Boulder have easy to use curve options. There should be more options but I can't think of any right now.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Thank you; I had a quick look...
    It sounds like the names you mention are all solid state preamps, right ? The CH Precision is very expensive...
    And I'm "pro - tube" above all !

Quote Originally Posted by NekoAudio View Post
    Sounds like your question about curves is not about useful but rather a requirement given your existing records. If you don't use a matching curve, your treble and bass will be several dB off depending on the frequency.

I don't think Manley, Atma-Sphere, or VTL have support for non-RIAA curves, but I could be mistaken. Gold Note, CH Precision (optional board), and Boulder have easy to use curve options. There should be more options but I can't think of any right now.
    My Manley Chinook supports RIAA curves. Deviation from RIAA curve: Less than ± 0.5 dB from 20Hz to 20kHz at any gain setting. Typically less than ±1dB from 10Hz to 100kHz. Awesome phono stage. And FYI the Steelhead support the RIAA curves as well.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Thank you Chris to point this to me. Very interested indeed, I had not pay attention on the Chinook on the Manley website, having been omnubiliated only by the Steelhead !
    As for this last one, it doesn't have the EQ curve correction for Decca, EMi or Columbia ( only RIAA )....; but if I don't find what I want on this point, the Chinook may very well be the perfect preamp at this range of price.

How can you tell what curve is required for a specific LP?
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Thanks a lot Mike. Yes of course I do have a very good genuine mono cartridge ( Pierre Clément ...the L7, the best one )
    According to you, would you be able to "express / quantify " the gain - improvement during the listening, by using really the proper EQ curve ?
    10% better more or less ?! Is it precisely noticeable, ...or you just feel a global better impression ?

It's true, on my side, for ex. with moo Decca, that sometimes, suddenly, a pressing sounds great..; but then the next one is very disapointing - nothing seems to "go out of the vinyl " !
    Abendroth,

I don't know if I could put a percentage value on the use or non-use of the various other EQ curves (Columbia, Decca, Capitol, etc.) but one thing I know for sure is now that I utilize them, there is no returning to a phono preamplifier that doesn't have them...at least for me.

What is most noticeable to me when listening to the older (usually 1950 to 1959 +/-) mono recordings with or without a mono cartridge but using RIAA settings is that records from the three above mentioned labels each had a somewhat "metallic sounding" edge in the higher frequency ranges to me. When all three record label recordings are played through their respective EQ curves, the metallic and hollow top end in addition to the bottom end impact are much improved on many recordings. Everything just seems more relaxed and fluid with the correct turnover, roll-off, etc.

As I said, now that I am listening with a phono preamplifier that has these EQ curves, I can't see myself going back to an RIAA only phono preamp by choice.

Mike

edit: correction from CBS to Capitol record label name
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
    How can you tell what curve is required for a specific LP?
    Match the record label with the similarly named EQ curve on the phono preamp. E.g., you want to play a Decca mono lp, you select the setting for the Decca curve setting, not the one for Columbia, etc.
    Avanti Audio

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Match the record label with the similarly named EQ curve on the phono preamp. E.g., you want to play a Decca mono lp, you select the setting for the Decca curve setting, not the one for Columbia, etc.
    Thank Mike.....I have Columbia LP’s from the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s and most recent. When did Columbia switch to the RIAA curve? Same for Decca?

Thanks
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

All became standard - same in 1958-59 or so ( stereo area ).

All became standard - same in 1958-59 or so ( stereo area ).
    Thanks Abendroth!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
    Thank Mike.....I have Columbia LP’s from the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s and most recent. When did Columbia switch to the RIAA curve? Same for Decca?

Thanks
    You bet Paul. Abendroth has it right, 1958-1959 time frame.
    Avanti Audio

Thank you Chris to point this to me. Very interested indeed, I had not pay attention on the Chinook on the Manley website, having been omnubiliated only by the Steelhead !
    As for this last one, it doesn't have the EQ curve correction for Decca, EMi or Columbia ( only RIAA )....; but if I don't find what I want on this point, the Chinook may very well be the perfect preamp at this range of price.

On the Chinook, I followed the led of Mark on here ( MDP) and others and re tubed it, with 4 Philips PCC88/7DJ8 tubes. There is a link in the Manley area.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Yes, I do have lots of record which may have different equalization curves, as I have around 5000 LP's, 30 to 50% of them being mono...
    So before 1958 / 59 and the RIAA area standard: in the early 50's, you had the Decca curve, for example ; there could be differences between Columbia ( French or English ), Voix de son Maitre, Vega , L'Oiseau Lyre, Ducretet Thomson, Pathé, early american pressings, etc...
    If I can straighten something out: The RIAA curve is based on the 'RCA Orthophonic' equalization. By the time the first mono LPs appeared, many of them were on this curve, so it predates the stereo era. The RIAA curve became a standard for all LPs in 1954.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team