Vandersteen Kento Carbon - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vandersteen Kento Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Headroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Richard would never use a Class D amp I don't believe. Yes, his dream was basically an active speaker so that he can match the speaker to the amp to maximize both. He has to be careful not to piss off the electronic companies (I assume), but he wanted to give us his vision of sound at various price points. I don't listen at high volume, but I demand dynamics like most do. I'll be hearing them in a very large room this weekend and will let you know my thoughts.

Some won't feel they are big enough to fill their rooms and that's fine. I would say that adding a couple of his subs would fix that problem and with the ability on all the subs to use the 11 band EQ, you can literally dial in the below 100hz music to be perfectly smooth in any room. If you can afford the Sub 9's over the Sub 3, that would be even better. Plenty of dynamics there, lol.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of sub 3's for my loft as it's so open, I feel it would take it to another level.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    Ayre QX5/20 (The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order)
    Steve Nugent rebuilt Mac mini (2009) with Paul Hynes LPS and custom silver cable server
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest Castlerock speaker cables
    Wire world optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into the QX5/20 from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and two dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    A&K 380cu with matching cu amp (copper which is much warmer than their normal cases)
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

Post Thanks / Like

What I recently learned, was that there is another reason to have an active bass/ subs in your speakers, or power them separately either internally or externally. It’s more than just the mere need for power.

Reason is that the impedance differences between tweeters and mids vs. woofers is significant, especially in larger speakers. Therefore, the amp has to fulfill very different loads in parallel, when powering the top and low end at the same time. This will always yield a suboptimal result.

In a conclusion, bi-amping through either a partly powered speaker or separate power amps for the tweeters/ mids and woofers will always yield better results.

Whether the bi-amping is achieved through a more or less powerful amp, is another question. But I would look at separate subs and compare. These are typically very highly powered compared to regular amps (500-3000W), as amplifying the bass yields a lower impedance. Depending on how much power you have on tap results just in more or less headroom in the bass.

“Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: AMG V12 + AMG 12j2 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono cable/ Stillpoints LPI/ Soulution 520 preamp with phono section/ Synology NAS with Roon and HD Plex linear PSU with Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE/ AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs + power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+ Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

3. Thanks joeinid, Ctsooner thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid, Ctsooner, UltraFast69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    What I recently learned, was that there is another reason to have an active bass/ subs in your speakers, or power them separately either internally or externally. It’s more than just the mere need for power.

Reason is that the impedance differences between tweeters and mids vs. woofers is significant, especially in larger speakers. Therefore, the amp has to fulfill very different loads in parallel, when powering the top and low end at the same time. This will always yield a suboptimal result.

In a conclusion, bi-amping through either a partly powered speaker or separate power amps for the tweeters/ mids and woofers will always yield better results.

Whether the bi-amping is achieved through a more or less powerful amp, is another question. But I would look at separate subs and compare. These are typically very highly powered compared to regular amps (500-3000W), as amplifying the bass yields a lower impedance. Depending on how much power you have on tap results just in more or less headroom in the bass.

Wow, a great way to put it. I simple terms, the main amp works MUCH less as it won't have to work under 100hz where it has to work it's hardest. In addition with the way Vandersteen designed the subs, it takes on the same sound as your main amp for better integration.

Bottom line is that it's a great way to implement speaker/amps working together for cohesion.

You guys are fun to read and learn from. Thanks.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    Ayre QX5/20 (The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order)
    Steve Nugent rebuilt Mac mini (2009) with Paul Hynes LPS and custom silver cable server
    Wire world optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into the QX5/20 from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    A&K 380cu with matching cu amp (copper which is much warmer than their normal cases)

5. Thanks Kuoppis thanked for this post
    Likes UltraFast69, Kuoppis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsooner View Post
    Wow, a great way to put it. I simple terms, the main amp works MUCH less as it won't have to work under 100hz where it has to work it's hardest.
    That’s exactly right.

“Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: AMG V12 + AMG 12j2 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono cable/ Stillpoints LPI/ Soulution 520 preamp with phono section/ Synology NAS with Roon and HD Plex linear PSU with Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE/ AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs + power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+ Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

7. Thanks Ctsooner thanked for this post
    Likes Ctsooner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Vandersteen has come out with a new loudspeaker replacing the 5A Carbon. The Kento Carbon looks like a bigger Quatro with a similar configuration. I believe the drivers are the same as the 5A Carbon had.

Ken

https://vandersteen.com/products/?dir=kento-carbon
    I heard the new KĒNTO Carbon at RMAF 2019 a few months ago.

It sounded very nice.

I'd enjoy listening to and getting to know the KĒNTO Carbon again in a more familiar environment.

Dre

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dre_J View Post
    I heard the new KĒNTO Carbon at RMAF 2019 a few months ago.

It sounded very nice.

I'd enjoy listening to and getting to know the KĒNTO Carbon again in a more familiar environment.

Dre

Thanks for sharing. I got to spend a lot of time with them last weekend. They are an amazing speaker. They filled a fairly large room and weren't even close to being taxed. Richard said they would fill most rooms with ease. They won't have the quantity of bass that the 5's had, but the quality is the best I've heard at that price point in ages. If you like the Vandersteen sounds, then you will LOVE these.

As for the tweeter question, it's the same tweeter that the 7 has other then tolerances. Richard therefore is just honest in saying that it's a different tweeter. They are matched within tight tolerances pair wise also. This is the reason they are so much closer to the 7's sound than the Quatro's sound. I love how he integrated the plinths also. It's a really nice look for the cabinet and it raises it to the level that he wanted. I personally have 3" granite plinths for my Quatro's.

It's a very special speaker and there is a lot going on that makes it sound so great.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsooner View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I got to spend a lot of time with them last weekend. They are an amazing speaker. They filled a fairly large room and weren't even close to being taxed. Richard said they would fill most rooms with ease. They won't have the quantity of bass that the 5's had, but the quality is the best I've heard at that price point in ages. If you like the Vandersteen sounds, then you will LOVE these.

As for the tweeter question, it's the same tweeter that the 7 has other then tolerances. Richard therefore is just honest in saying that it's a different tweeter. They are matched within tight tolerances pair wise also. This is the reason they are so much closer to the 7's sound than the Quatro's sound. I love how he integrated the plinths also. It's a really nice look for the cabinet and it raises it to the level that he wanted. I personally have 3" granite plinths for my Quatro's.

It's a very special speaker and there is a lot going on that makes it sound so great.
    Sorry but it is not the same tweeter as the Model 7, which has the patented perfect piston carbon/balsa/carbon sandwich tweeter. The only driver that is the same as the Model 7 is the 4.5 inch midrange driver according to the specs. I agree with everything else you wrote though.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Sorry but not the same tweeter as the Model 7, which has a carbon/balsa/carbon sandwich. The only driver that is the same as the Model 7 is the 4.5 inch midrange driver according to the specs. I agree with the rest of your comments though.

Best,
    Ken
    I miss understood what Richard told me a few years ago about the 5's. My bad. Thanks for straightening me out. Regardless, it's much much close to the 7's.
    Last edited by Ctsooner; November 8, 2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: mistaken information I shared.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

12. Thanks Alpinist thanked for this post
    Likes Alpinist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Vandersteen room at axpona 2019 was packed the friday I was there, considering the show actually took some time to fill up. I remember listening to a demo of the 2ce, ci? 1990 version and another customer was completely taken by their sound. I didn't dislike them , but I also didn't think they were going to bring the house down playing "Temple of the dogs or RHCP. My biggest struggle during my upgrade was finding speakers that didn't favor a particular 'type' of music. I eventually found my speakers, but, having interest in this hobby I would like to ask you guys do these new Vandy's do it all? Are they the speakers to go from marvin gaye to ZZ top with stops in between. tia Steve
    Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, VA Beethovens, , Hegel h360, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner.

14. Likes Kuoppis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    The Vandersteen room at axpona 2019 was packed the friday I was there, considering the show actually took some time to fill up. I remember listening to a demo of the 2ce, ci? 1990 version and another customer was completely taken by their sound. I didn't dislike them , but I also didn't think they were going to bring the house down playing "Temple of the dogs or RHCP. My biggest struggle during my upgrade was finding speakers that didn't favor a particular 'type' of music. I eventually found my speakers, but, having interest in this hobby I would like to ask you guys do these new Vandy's do it all? Are they the speakers to go from marvin gaye to ZZ top with stops in between. tia Steve
    There is no question any of the new Vandersteen’s are built to play virtually any music available. A great speaker Hass to be able to go from Broc to acid rock to hard rock to classical to jazz to blues to vocals etc. If this speaker can’t play everything personally it’s not designed properly. You’re just looking for the truth and what the recording is giving you. The problem with many of the rock recordings of years past are that the guys on the boards didn’t always care about sound for a good sound system they were trying to make it sound good for FM radio.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast