Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: MA252 Problem

MA252 Problem

This morning, while listening to my system, my MA252 stopped functioning. I was listening at a low level, using a Lumin D2 network player as the source. I went up to the amp to adjust it, and there was a "pop" of static electricity when I touched it. Just a normal level of static, nothing too great. I then thought I noticed a little static sound from the speakers, so I turned off the amp and restarted it a few minutes later. From that moment on, there was no sound output at all. I tried three different sources with the same results from all three. The tubes light up normally, and the display looks normal too, just no sound output. I've contacted McIntosh via their website and am awaiting a reply and thought I would check here in case somebody had a suggestion. Thanks.
    McIntosh MA252, Lumin D2, Emotiva XPA 2 Gen 3, Polk Audio LSiM 705, Polk Audio LSiM 703, Oppo UDP 203, Polk Audio Signature S20

Re: MA252 Problem

Is it possible a fuse got blown on the amp?
    Electronics: Pass Labs XP-22, Pass Labs X250.8
    Digital: T+A DAC 200, Auralic Aries G1, Sony UBP-X800M
    Analog: Pro-Ject X2 w/ Ortofon 2M Black, iFi Phono3 Phonostage
    Speakers: Janszen Audio Valentina P8, SVS SB13-Ultra
    Other: David Laboga Custom Audio/Shunyata/Audioquest cabling, PS Audio PowerPlant 15

Quote Originally Posted by tino27 View Post
    Is it possible a fuse got blown on the amp?
    That's what I am hoping. But I'm not going to open it up without direction from the factory. I don't want to do anything that might void the warranty. I'm hoping it is something that I can fix myself, like a fuse, with their guidance. I live about 200 miles from the nearest factory authorized service center and I really would prefer to not have to ship it back to the factory for service.
    McIntosh MA252, Lumin D2, Emotiva XPA 2 Gen 3, Polk Audio LSiM 705, Polk Audio LSiM 703, Oppo UDP 203, Polk Audio Signature S20

If it is the fuse, there is no need to open the chassis up as the fuse/holder should be located on the rear of the amp just above the power chord. Here is a link to the PDF of the manual (once opened, search for the word "fuse"):

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/-/media...ma252om01.ashx
    Electronics: Pass Labs XP-22, Pass Labs X250.8
    Digital: T+A DAC 200, Auralic Aries G1, Sony UBP-X800M
    Analog: Pro-Ject X2 w/ Ortofon 2M Black, iFi Phono3 Phonostage
    Speakers: Janszen Audio Valentina P8, SVS SB13-Ultra
    Other: David Laboga Custom Audio/Shunyata/Audioquest cabling, PS Audio PowerPlant 15

There is a fuse holder right above the IEC. But if that fuse is blown the amp should not turn on. So that cannot be the problem. There may be other fuses internally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    There is a fuse holder right above the IEC. But if that fuse is blown the amp should not turn on. So that cannot be the problem. There may be other fuses internally.
    Yes, everything comes on just like normal, but with no sound output. So it must be something other than that main fuse on the back.

The SS amp module may have it's own rail fuses and they may or may not be shown anywhere but in the schematics.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The SS amp module may have it's own rail fuses and they may or may not be shown anywhere but in the schematics.
    I think you are right. And, according to the manual, there are no user serviceable parts inside. So I will most likely need to ship it to the factory for repair.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest because I also have a MA252 with a Lumin D2 streamer as the source component.

Followup: I spoke with tech support at the McIntosh factory, and we were unsuccessful in correcting the problem over the phone. We tried a microprocessor reset and a full factory reset. Neither one helped. I'm going to have to take it to an authorized service center for evaluation and repair. I'm going to miss it while it's gone! I do have a Pioneer receiver that I will call to active duty to take its place, but it's not a McIntosh.

Super Moderator

Sorry you are having problems with the integrated. Hopefully it’ll be fixed soon, as good as new.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Any follow up? Curious as to what happened to your Amp.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Any follow up? Curious as to what happened to your Amp.
    I sent it in to an authorized service center at the beginning of last month. I heard back from them a couple of weeks ago. It was evaluated and they felt they were going to have to replace "one of the boards" and were awaiting final confirmation from the McIntosh factory. They hoped to have it back to me soon. I really miss it!

Thanks for the update... but honestly, Jesus, like two months and it is still at the service center. To me that is completely un-acceptable. One of the huge draws to McIntosh has always been their customer service and top notch service. Two months without your amplifier, a brand new model I might add, is not good at all. I would be pissed.

Honestly, I have been still serious considering either one of these or its big brother but this thread has me reconsidering if I should be interested in these new units at all.

I am so sorry for you having to go through this.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I agree with what you said, Randy. I'm not happy about it at all. I'm hoping that I will receive the repaired amp soon, and I can put all this behind me. It's very frustrating.

So sorry Mark. Growing up in Binghamton, the one thing you could always count on with McIntosh was fast and over the top service. Sound, features, performance; all of that is subjective personal preference. But, quality and reliability of McIntosh was never ever in question. I have seen far too many reports and threads on issues recently. I have had my eye on a fairly new used unit but I have been a bit afraid to buy a used one with recent events. It is a tad disturbing to me.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mark, I hope your amp is back in your home and playing tunes soon. It’s a bummer the repair has taken longer than anticipated.

Just a mere offering of my experience, my MA252 has been issue-free since I’ve brought it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Hey Sean,

What did you replace to get the MA252? Any thoughts, opinions, etc. that you can give. I noticed you have 4 ohm medium sensitivity speakers (what I would consider fairly high level speakers at that). I assume it drives them just fine.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hi Randy, I actually got back into the game with my current gear, after a short break (previously enjoyed Naim Supernait 2 & Dynaudio Focus 160).

I have done nothing but enjoy my 252 with the A3’s. The combo is a real treat. I am currently looking for amps that will etch even more performance out of the Magico’s. But, the 252 delivers wonderful musical enjoyment and also has enough gusto for HT duties, including action/adventure movies.

As is well documented, Mac will conservatively rate their amps, and the 252 is no exception. I saw a report where a shop bench tested their 252 and hit something like 25-30% more power before clipping when compared to its rated spec from McIntosh. Hope this helps; if you have more questions feel free to PM or post on my original thread as I don’t want to derail or hijack here.

Hey Sean,

What did you replace to get the MA252? Any thoughts, opinions, etc. that you can give. I noticed you have 4 ohm medium sensitivity speakers (what I would consider fairly high level speakers at that). I assume it drives them just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Thanks Sean.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sorry to hear that you're still without your MA252, Mark. I'm sure that the problem you had with it was just a fluke.

If it's any consolation, I've had mine since March of last year and it has performed flawlessly since and I have zero regrets with my purchase. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Please don't lose hope, it's a great little amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubes View Post
    Sorry to hear that you're still without your MA252, Mark. I'm sure that the problem you had with it was just a fluke.

If it's any consolation, I've had mine since March of last year and it has performed flawlessly since and I have zero regrets with my purchase. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Please don't lose hope, it's a great little amp.
    Oh, I agree that it was just a fluke. I still will highly recommend them and would buy another McIntosh in a heartbeat if I had to. Stuff happens sometimes, but hopefully soon I will have it back and will enjoy many years of trouble free use.

How long have you been without it??? How long have you owned it?
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
    How long have you been without it??? How long have you owned it?
    I bought it in October 2018. It's been in for repair since the first week of Nov. 2019.

Hi Mark, Sorry to hear this. If I understand correctly , the warranty is 3 years. Don't you think if the item can't be repaired within a reasonable amount of time, maybe 30 days, the company should "stand tall" and swap it out?? If it's under warranty, you should be able to drop it off at the dealer, and they should pay freight. I've owned MANY McIntosh products and finally couldn't take it anymore. The proof is in the pudding. No other manufacturer forum has more "issues" with product than McIntosh. 3 of the latest 10 to be exact. 30%!!! Time to stop drinking the Kool-Aid. It's for real...it's NOT a "fluke".
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

I agree with what you said. However, in my case, McIntosh has only been involved for a couple of weeks. I had the option of sending the amp back to the McIntosh factory for service, or to any authorized service center. I chose to send it to the closest authorized service center which is about 250 miles away. I wanted to keep the shipping distance to a minimum. I spoke with the service center by phone ahead of time, and they informed me that they were about 8 wks behind in their service work. Not for McIntosh alone, but all makes and models of audio gear. I still opted to send it to them rather than ship it across the country to the McIntosh factory. About two weeks ago, the service center informed me that they had evaluated my amp and notified McIntosh, and were awaiting the needed parts for the repair. So, the wait is reasonable so far. Hindsight is 20/20, and if I had it to do over, I would have sent it directly to McIntosh and likely would have received it back in a much shorter time.

I hope your Amp arrives back very soon!

Mine arrived today... so far I think I am going to like this Amp!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mine arrived today... so far I think I am going to like this Amp!
    Congratulations! You're going to love it!

Wow...

The amp is back home now and all is well! I'm a happy camper again! It only took about 3 weeks from the time McIntosh became involved and parts were ordered. So I am pleased with the service provided by McIntosh.

That is great. I feel bad that it took so long. It sounds like it was that service center that caused the huge delays. Very glad Mc got it worked out so for you!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

That is great. I feel bad that it took so long. It sounds like it was that service center that caused the huge delays. Very glad Mc got it worked out so for you!
    Yes, it was the service center, but I knew that in advance. They told me that there would be about an 8 week delay before they could get to it. But I chose to send it there anyway since they were the closest authorized service center. I didn't want to ship it 2000 miles away to the factory in New York. So I have no problems with the service center either. They actually got to it a little sooner than what they estimated.

Wow...

Super Moderator

Congratulations on getting it back.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Did you buy the unit from an authorized dealer??

Quote Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
    Did you buy the unit from an authorized dealer??
    Yes, I bought it from an authorized McIntosh dealer near Pittsburgh, PA in Oct of 2018. Ten months later we moved from PA to western Colorado. The closest service center I could send it to was a McIntosh authorized service center near Denver, Colorado, about 245 miles away from my home.

Oh, Maybe next time, send it back to the factory for many reasons...

I'm sure there won't need to be a next time. The build quality of these units is fantastic!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

MA252 Problem