Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

CD Players On Their Way In Or Out?

I keep reading where CD players (and CDs) are on their way out. Yet there are some companies, Gryphon for example, that are introducing new CD player models. So, are they on their way in or out?

Re: CD Players On Their Way In Or Out?

Like Vinyl the CD player is becoming a niche market. The "audiophile" may want to keep one in the system but the average consumer is moving on. Sales of the disc are plummeting. Fewer and fewer cars are offering them as standard equipment. Computers no longer include them CD or DVD players as a standard item. The number of OEM manufacturers is dwindling.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Audioshark

I sell more CD players than turntables. Ugh. Double ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

The CD player has become like the Cadillac brand when only old people buys them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I sell more CD players than turntables. Ugh. Double ugh.
    I would venture a guess this is because convenience. Whenever I have thought about getting back into vinyl I think about how back in the day to how I would clean an album on my VPI cleaner (very loud and most everyone thought I was crazy), clean the stylus, careful handle the album and put record weight on to listen to about 20 minutes and repeat it again. And if I wanted to listen to a song or two, forget it .... The CD is easy for people to use (not as easy as a server, but still ).
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I haven't read that CD players are on the way out. I'm buying more CD's recently than ever before. I don't own a turntable and never will.

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Like Vinyl the CD player is becoming a niche market. The "audiophile" may want to keep one in the system but the average consumer is moving on. Sales of the disc are plummeting. Fewer and fewer cars are offering them as standard equipment. Computers no longer include them CD or DVD players as a standard item. The number of OEM manufacturers is dwindling.
    Yes. If I buy a CD I rip it, and then listen to it.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    I haven't read that CD players are on the way out. I'm buying more CD's recently than ever before. I don't own a turntable and never will.
    On the way out? Possibly, but a slower trend. So, I am with you on that, I have bought/am buying, and own more cds than I ever have before. And I just purchased an Audiolab CDT6000, probably the smartest thing I’ve done in a long,long, time... And for the record, I’m old...

My goodies, changes again, Still modest, but effective...(at least on my level).
    47 Laboratory Midnight Blue 4733, Audiolab 6000CDT, OPPO BDP103, iFi Zen Blue, Sparkler Audio S301B diva. Cabling: RCA, Linn Blacks,
    47 Laboratory 4708 speaker cables. Morrow Audio DIG3 w/KLE Pure Harmony connectors. DH Labs Red Wave A/C power (for the 4733) Yep,that's it. My aim is high, but sometimes I forget to wear my glasses...

I'm still a CD guy. Buying more, mostly classical (good selection of SACDs, well recorded CDs) and jazz. My local dealer would echo Mike's experience. He believes CDs are coming back - at least among audiophiles. It's easier to get 'right.' I'm not planning to e-invest in vinyl; will invest in a player/streaming solution.

Spinning a silver disk as I read this. Its just another tool in the audio arsenal .
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I own a very nice CD player (Marantz SA-10) that I rarely use to play CD's. I keep a few SACD's handy, but primarily use the Marantz as a DAC fed by a streamer. I am considering purchasing my first CD's in a very long time - the new MOFI Dire Straits collection. Might even buy one or two in both vinyl and SACD to do a shootout. I'm finding myself going to my record and CD collection less and less often lately. Streaming has taken over. However, it is nice to have all options available!
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I have an Oppo spinner that I rarely actually spin a disk with. I reserve it for a special use!

Every disk I purchase gets one spin and add it to my server.

I have Brother In Arms in SACD Mo-Fi and a few other Dire Straits in SHM SACDs... really nice! I am listening the their first disk (ripped) on my Astell&Kern right now while I work ....

The Marantz are very nice SACD players in my view. I had one prior to getting the Oppo. I personally preferred the Marantz but for my use the Oppo fits the bill!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

What you guys use in your cars for music playback?
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I haven't used a CD player in my car probably 15 years. I didn't order it as an option in my 2019. Actually if I listen to music 5% of the time in my car I could be surprised.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

I still have an Esoteric CD/SACD player. Sits on the audio rack unused. When I purchase a CD, I rip it as soon as it comes in and listen via the Lumin music server.

I have my over 1500 CDs packed in boxes.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

I use a USB-C data key. My new car does not have a CD Player but the Burmester system can use the USB-C ports.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    I keep reading where CD players (and CDs) are on their way out. Yet there are some companies, Gryphon for example, that are introducing new CD player models. So, are they on their way in or out?

Linn has stopped CD players production in... 2009?
    In their opinion, Cd was dead then but in my opinion it was a big mistake.

Here, in my town, unfortunately Cd shops are dying, so i buy via net (not on Amazon since has no paypal).

To me CD is still alive.

I buy some on Amazon as well, SACD's from Acoustic Sounds. In my town we actually have two used CD/Record shops. They have a ton more CDs then records...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Out.

While I still buy some CDs, they get ripped by the drive in an older Macbook Pro and then added to the Roon Library.

The most inexpensive way to get around the audio problems inherent in a CD transport (e.g. susceptibility to vibration)...are not to have to use a transport at all.

For anyone who's given up on disc's (CD/SACD) you need to hear how fabulous they sound on an Accuphase spinner.
    Th only streaming I'll ever be doing is into the toilet.
    Accuphase A-75, C-3850, DP-750, T-1200, C-37, P-530 / Magico S7, Mcoat Red w/Mpod / LessLoss C-MARC Entropic cables (Spk. IC's PC's) / Clearaudio Innovation Wood, 9" Universal arm ,VTA adj. Outer Limit platter ring, Statement clamp / SteinMusic PI Carbon Signature Mat /My Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent EX MC cart./ Clearaudio 24v Battery PSU / Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth / B]Onyx Plus[/B] Sirius XM Sat Radio / Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX ,Active Ground Block SE ,Black Box ,Acoustic ART, Atmosphere Infinity ,UEF panels /Stillpoints Apeture II panels /Furutech GTX-D NCF duplex outlets, NFC Booster-Braces/ 20a dedicated lines / SteinMusic H2 Harmonizers / Adona Eris II 5C racks / Symposium Acoustics Svelt Shelves /HRS Damping plates / KLAudio Ultrasonic RCM / Clearaudio Smart Matrix Pro. RCM /Kemp Electroniks SR plugs,/ Akiko Audio Corelli PLC,Tuning Sticks/ LessLoss Firewall 640X, Blackbody v.2, BlackGround Power Base 10X, Blackground Speaker Base 8X, Firewall for speakers

I think they are their way out for the general public. My kids don't listen to cd's. I admit that I generally listen more to streamed music for the convenience but I do prefer the sound of CD/SACD's. I am on a cd kick at the present time - just purchased 12 cds this week.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Everest Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    For anyone who's given up on disc's (CD/SACD) you need to hear how fabulous they sound...

For anyone who's given up on disc's (CD/SACD) you need to hear how fabulous they sound on an Accuphase spinner.
    Yes, a CD sounds fantastic after it has been ripped and then played on a Lumin X1. Of course, that is just the tip of what can now be done with CD files when they aren’t limited to a CD player.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Like having HQPlayer up-sample them to DSD512.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Awesome... however, not interested in spending over $17,000 on a CD player.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

$17,000 for a CD player. Yikes. The Lumin X1 is ‘only’ $12K, and even less when bought from a reputable dealer.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

I’m still buying CD’s because I like to physically own the media I play.

The CD’s get ripped and stored on an Innuos music server. In my experience comparing the same 16/44 track streamed, played back from NAS and played directly from a CD player – the CD player wins out in sound quality.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    I’m still buying CD’s because I like to physically own the media I play.

The CD’s get ripped and stored on an Innuos music server. In my experience comparing the same 16/44 track streamed, played back from NAS and played directly from a CD player – the CD player wins out in sound quality.
    +1 CD player definitely wins in my system

Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

Coincidently, I read tonight where LP's are supposed to out sell CD's for the first time since the 80's.

If a company is going to still offer a CDP, at least Marantz and Gryphon get it right and offer digital inputs. I think that was a big mistake in the Hegel, but their goal was to make a totally dedicated CDP.

I have gone to the dark side, streaming, and don't plan to return. I still have my TT but it doesn't get much play. I currently don't have a transport although the thought crossed my mind. It just seems unnecessary since my CD's are on the hard drive.

I figure the TT is insurance in case my internet goes down, LOL
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Coincidently, I read tonight where LP's are supposed to out sell CD's for the first time since the 80's.
    That’s because CD sales have dramatically and drastically dropped, and vinyl’s minor resurgence will soon be over. To be honest, streaming scares me as it is also negatively affecting sales of High-Res downloads. If in the end, streaming is all we have for music then I am glad I’m 70, and soon will not have to deal with it.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Sorry, not gong to drop 17 large on a disc transport. Moreover, I couldn't use Roon with it.

CD players and transports will have their place.

I play CDs in my gym as I don’t have any other method of playback in this area of the home and like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

SD Cards or streaming via phone and BT connection. Haven’t played a CD in a car in years.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    The CD player has become like the Cadillac brand when only old people buys them.
    you nailed it there
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Spotify. perfect for cars
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

I'm not very knowledgeable regarding current automotive sound systems. If I plug my phone into a USB port in my car will it then stream from streaming services I subscribe to (i.e. Qobuz and Tidal)? Other than playing CDs or Sirius/XM, what are other ways to listen to music in my vehicle? Both of our vehicles have WiFi and Bluetooth. I also have Mobile Hotspot on my phone for use with our camper. Oh yeah, almost forgot...I have a CD player in both vehicles. However, I'd much rather be able to stream music.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    I'm not very knowledgeable regarding current automotive sound systems. If I plug my phone into a USB port in my car will it then stream from streaming services I subscribe to (i.e. Qobuz and Tidal)? Other than playing CDs or Sirius/XM, what are other ways to listen to music in my vehicle? Both of our vehicles have WiFi and Bluetooth. I also have Mobile Hotspot on my phone for use with our camper. Oh yeah, almost forgot...I have a CD player in both vehicles. However, I'd much rather be able to stream music.
    In both Tidal and Qobuz (and Spotify), you can import music to an offline location (your phone, ipad, etc.) and play that music via usb or bluetooth to your stereo system in your automobile. No hotspot or wifi required. That's how I do it.

I just bought a 2019 model car and no CD player as an option. I'm trying to figure out how to migrate a fairly large collection of live music and have it with me without having to constantly update my phone. The 64gb of storage means I'll have to delete and add and on long trips be left with less than I'd like. I'm considering a DAP but need to be sure the codecs are compatible with all the formats I have on my hard drives.
    Toolshed Amplifiers 300b DHT amp, Supratek Cabernet DHT preamp, Weiss 502 DAC, Spatial Audio X3 open baffle speakers, Pro-ject RS2T transport, Silversmith speaker cables, Grover Huffman ICs.

I know some of you will throw stones at me, but I use Pandora (gasp!) in the car. I primarily listen to podcasts while driving, but when I do want music I use Pandora. I don't have to think about what to play and it integrates well with my BMW. My critical listening and decisions as to what to play are left for my home system.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quote Originally Posted by jethropugh View Post
    I just bought a 2019 model car and no CD player as an option. I'm trying to figure out how to migrate a fairly large collection of live music and have it with me without having to constantly update my phone. The 64gb of storage means I'll have to delete and add and on long trips be left with less than I'd like. I'm considering a DAP but need to be sure the codecs are compatible with all the formats I have on my hard drives.

Many of the newer cars (in the last 5years) can take a USB drive with files. Most will play back MP3 or WMA (look at your manual). I just got a 2020 vehicle that can take FLAC or WAV files up to 192kHz (plays them back at 24/48). Was a pleasant surprise looking thru the manual and finding that out. I just put the music on USB thumb drives. The vehicle manual should also tell you how many files and folders it can handle. Windows I believe has a limitation of 255 files per folder. My new vehicle has a 3,000 folder, 9,999 file limitation but can have two players connected via USB (e.g. thumb drives). I have two connected, one with hi-rez PCM files and another with my non-jazz and classical CD files. I keep another thumb drive in the center console with jazz and classical CD quality and hi-rez (PCM) classical files. In all, between the three thumb drives, I have 12,500 files.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ivey View Post
    In both Tidal and Qobuz (and Spotify), you can import music to an offline location (your phone, ipad, etc.) and play that music via usb or bluetooth to your stereo system in your automobile. No hotspot or wifi required. That's how I do it.

Thanks, Don. I guess all I need is the appropriate cable from my phone to the vehicle and I should be in business. Both of our vehicles have USB ports.

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Is a CD player even offered as standard equipment in any car these days?
    Anthony
    Analog: Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    Is a CD player even offered as standard equipment in any car these days?
    Can't say for sure Anthony but I still use mine in my 5 year old Traverse. Thinking about getting a Honda Ridgeline when I retire next year, it's offered as a option.
    Cheers ! …. Dave

My last couple cars had CD players which I never used. They had USB ports also, although my last Benz could only handle MP3... yuk. The new car handles Flac up to 192Khz from a USB-C drive.

In also believe that files played from internal drives on my PC/Server sound much better then spinning the same CD, even without up-sampling. After up-sampling there is no comparison. I can see playing from a NAS not sounding as good though.

My order of preference:
    1- DSD downloads (up-sampled)
    2- SACD rips (up-sampled)
    3- Flac downloads (up-sampled)
    4- CD rips (up-sampled)
    5- SACDs
    6- CDs

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
    I think they are their way out for the general public. My kids don't listen to cd's. I admit that I generally listen more to streamed music for the convenience but I do prefer the sound of CD/SACD's.
    I don't doubt the kids aren't listening to cds, my grandson watches movies on his phone!

But I listen to music on my audio system as I would a live acoustic performance, and almost daily. Well recorded SACDs on a really good audio system are hard to beat unless you attend an acoustic live performance. But SACDs can deliver sound even a live performance can't match, such as micro detail and imaging.

I buy hirez downloads when I find an album I want that's not on SACD. But I prefer physical media, especially from Analogue Productions, Mobile Fidelity, Reference Recordings, and I seriously doubt that's going to change unless streaming is the only choice.
    Acoustic Frontiers Acoustic Design media room; Raidho D3; Boulder 1160; JL Audio F212v2; EMM Labs DV2; EMM Labs XDS1v2 (transport); JL Audio CR-1; Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC; Solidtech ROS; Nordost & Ansuz cabling & resonance control.
    http://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5013

My Astell & Kern AK100 II. Sounds a lot better than the head unit in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ivey View Post
    Yup and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by LenWhite View Post
    I don't doubt the kids aren't listening to cds, my grandson watches movies on his phone!

But I listen to music on my audio system as I would a live acoustic performance, and almost daily. Well recorded SACDs on a really good audio system are hard to beat unless you attend an acoustic live performance. But SACDs can deliver sound even a live performance can't match, such as micro detail and imaging.

I buy hirez downloads when I find an album I want that's not on SACD. But I prefer physical media, especially from Analogue Productions, Mobile Fidelity, Reference Recordings, and I seriously doubt that's going to change unless streaming is the only choice.

I used to feel that way about SACDs, but I don't anymore. Not since getting a multibit DAC. I find I prefer PCM content now than SACD or DSD content.

After a lot of experimentation in this area, I find that it all comes down to the quality of the mastering, and in my experience and view, virtually no one does it better than Alan Yoshida. The Audio Wave Blue Note XRCD24s on the whole, are the best-sounding digital recording I have, hands-down. I read a comment somewhere recently that if Alan Yoshida had mastered every digital recording ever released, we would have never needed SACD, DVD-Audio, DSD, or HDCD.

I agree.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team