How did I do? Rega RP3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

How did I do? Rega RP3

So Saturday my wife found an ad on Facebook Marketplace from a woman selling her late husbands gear for what looked to be a great deal so she pointed it out to me. I made a plan to meet her yesterday morning at the Police Station to make the exchange.

This is what I got for $600

Rega RP3 with Dust cover, 330 Tone Arm, Elys 2 Cartridge (with cleaning kit, setup scale, extra bulbs, extra belt and more)

She threw in the below.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated
    Amazon Echo
    Sony Headphones
    Cables

All only 3 years old

I have no albums and not until I get my new Luxman for xmas will I be able to use the Rega in my main setup but working on my wife to keep the TT and flip the rest.

I really know nothing anymore about TTs, Tone Arms and Cartridges so what can you tell me about what I got?

The Plinth feels hollow when I tap it and I was surprised by the tiny Wall Wart of a PS.
    The original invoice was buried in the cleaning kit box and the guy paid $1100 for the Rega setup.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel 1072 CDP / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > JM Labs Tantal 509s > Tara Labs Cables

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How did I do? Rega RP3

I would throw that Amazon Echo in the trash immediately unless you enjoy being spied on.
    VPI Avenger with 12" 3D arm, Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be fun to play some vinyl.

Yes, I get nervous about all these “smart” devices listening in on us.
    Joe

Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M, JBL 590.

Accuphase E-650 w/ Dac, Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre, Linear Tube Audio MZ2.

First Watt SIT-1 monos, Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, Cary 300B SE monos, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I would throw that Amazon Echo in the trash immediately unless you enjoy being spied on.
    Don't worry, that goes right up on CL and other marketplaces. I will never own any of those type products and chuckle at those who do. The only fun is when I am at a friends house and I ask very silly or rude questions for which you get some comical answers.

I will flip everything except the TT for right now.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel 1072 CDP / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > JM Labs Tantal 509s > Tara Labs Cables

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, do you have a phono-pre ? if not start thinking about one, plenty of used reasonably priced ones out there to get you going. If it's gonna be a while until your up and running start looking at picking up some LP's. Perhaps a day trip to Princeton Record Exchange might be in order !

http://www.prex.com

Being in Bucks county you're not that far away !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

6. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    Brian, do you have a phono-pre ? if not start thinking about one, plenty of used reasonably priced ones out there to get you going. If it's gonna be a while until your up and running start looking at picking up some LP's. Perhaps a day trip to Princeton Record Exchange might be in order !

http://www.prex.com

Being in Bucks county you're not that far away !
    Yeah, I am already looking at CL and FB Marketplace where there are tons of LPs. I have a Rotel RX-1052 with a Phono input and the Marantz that came with this deal and I will be setting up with the Rotel next week because my wife ordered an LP for a cousin just one day before finding this deal. I think it's a sign
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, remember I had a P3 for years before getting the Clear Audio. I enjoyed it and think it's a good table. I also had that cart in the beginning, it's not a bad cart but a bit polite.
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

9. Likes Shadowfax liked this post