Question about using USB for data input and out to DAC - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about using USB for data input and out to DAC

By far, your best way of storing data for playback is internal within the computer/server. The question of transporting the data becomes moot since at the worse SATA does not have any issues and at the best M.2 drives connect directly to the motherboard similar to RAM. The only use of USB in this case is to transport between the server and the DAC. Definitely no issues doing this for short runs. Additionally, some USB re-clockers have also shown to have positive affects going between the server and the DAC.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | T+A AMP 8 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special w/ Ortofon 2M Blue | SimAudio 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Furman Elite 15i | Burmester Auto System | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you NekoAudio. This is what I was hoping to read. I use the memory playback function provided by jriver 25. So, the music storage hard drive loads data at the start. Do you have any experience with the large number of USB add on devices to improve USB performance?
    Main System: Analog - Linn LP12, Origin Live DC motor and Controller, SME V arm, Benz Ruby H 2 cartridge, Wright Sound preamp. Digital - Intel NUC I-7, 16 gig ram, Jriver media center 24, Wyrd4 Sound 2V2 SE Dac, Fathom Hard Drives.
    H-Cat Version 9 preamp, ARC Reference 75 amp, Custom line source speakers - 10 SB Acoustics midwoofers, 10 Fountek ribbon tweeters. JL Audio Fathom f112 Subs
    Wire - T G Audio, Siltech, Audioquest, Teo, Lewis silver foil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
    Thank you NekoAudio. This is what I was hoping to read. I use the memory playback function provided by jriver 25. So, the music storage hard drive loads data at the start. Do you have any experience with the large number of USB add on devices to improve USB performance?
    I'm not 100% sure and it's probably best to ask on the JRiver forum, but having JRiver load all the data into memory just means the full audio data is in RAM on your computer (where JRiver is running). That's different from having the full audio data in memory on your playback device. Old iPods would do this too, because it minimized hard disk spin time to save battery life.

If your computer is then connected to a DAC over USB for playback, you're using USB Audio for that communication.

In the majority of cases you shouldn't need any USB reclockers or isolators or similar devices. You could always try one, especially if your environment is noisy or if your computer isn't so great or if your DAC exhibits sensitivity to the USB connection/data, since there are some cases where it might help. But the first thing I'd recommend trying, out of anything, is to use a USB cable with ferrite rings to see if that makes any difference.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, Acoustic Zen, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Dirac, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, LUMIN, Magico, Marantz, Ortofon, Prism Sound, RME, STAX, Trinnov

4. Likes aKnyght liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NekoAudio View Post
    ...In the majority of cases you shouldn't need any USB reclockers or isolators or similar devices. You could always try one, especially if your environment is noisy or if your computer isn't so great or if your DAC exhibits sensitivity to the USB connection/data, since there are some cases where it might help. But the first thing I'd recommend trying, out of anything, is to use a USB cable with ferrite rings to see if that makes any difference.
    +1

a few months ago i experimented with a USB cable used with a professional, ultra-high-resolution film scanner which has ferrite rings at both ends... wow!! night and day results with a HUGE drop the noise floor. it is not coming out of the system.
    kanjiroba yak + roon rock > t+a dac 8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii | alp-tone audio alp.wE cables

6. Likes NekoAudio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NekoAudio View Post
    I'm not 100% sure and it's probably best to ask on the JRiver forum, but having JRiver load all the data into memory just means the full audio data is in RAM on your computer (where JRiver is running). That's different from having the full audio data in memory on your playback device. Old iPods would do this too, because it minimized hard disk spin time to save battery life.

If your computer is then connected to a DAC over USB for playback, you're using USB Audio for that communication.

In the majority of cases you shouldn't need any USB reclockers or isolators or similar devices. You could always try one, especially if your environment is noisy or if your computer isn't so great or if your DAC exhibits sensitivity to the USB connection/data, since there are some cases where it might help. But the first thing I'd recommend trying, out of anything, is to use a USB cable with ferrite rings to see if that makes any difference.
    I too use JRiver as my playback software. I have it set to load the entire track into RAM first then start to play. Works GREAT!
    George
    -----------------------

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Aqua La Voce S3 R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers