Computer with Roon and HQPlayer discussion. - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Computer with Roon and HQPlayer discussion.

Randy, I have two playback DACs. My multichannel DAC is a NADAC from Merging Technologies. I use my Lampi Pacific for 2 channel files.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-Lampi Pacific, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-Symmetrical Power&ArtKelmGroundOneIsoTrans,AudioDiskVinylClean er,AirTightRecordFlattener, Scott Rust cables
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs ,50TBripped files

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, got ya. I figured you probably had something like that but I did not recognize the multi-channel DAC! Very cool indeed. I am sure your machine could provide the Lampi with incredible DSD512 ...
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | T+A AMP 8 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special w/ Ortofon 2M Blue | SimAudio 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Furman Elite 15i | Burmester Auto System | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking with a friend of mine who worked at Microsoft for 20 or so years and now as a consultant. He likes music and wants to fiddle with a computer to make a server. I mentioned having Windows 10 and wanting to move to server 2016. He immediately started spouting reasons why server would be far superior to Windows 10. He's not an audio file. He just understood how server 2016 provides an uninterrupted clean flow of data where's Windows 10 is sticato and fractured as it tries to think about everything else in the computer while processing your music. Server 2016 only thinks about your music and uses buffers to ensure a clean uninterrupted flow of the music data while it might think of other limited processes.

Post Thanks / Like

That is all very cool and I can understand his concerns. My only real thought is that with current systems, multi-core processors, incredibly fast RAM, optimized motherboards, amazingly fast new M.2 drives, etc., this would be minimal. Also, if it is a 100% dedicated machine the singular thing that is being processed is music 99% of the time. I do believe part of his assumption is that a server is much more singular purpose applications; file server, database server, DNS, etc., while normal Windows 10 machines being used at home are almost always multi-tasking. This is not the case with a dedicated machine. I would be extremely surprised if there is any performance difference what so ever, but if so the higher over head on server OS might hinder it ever so slightly. The server OS is designed to run on a completely different class of machine which I would doubt many of us would be willing to have in our audio systems. The noise of these level machines alone would not allow this in a music application.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | T+A AMP 8 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special w/ Ortofon 2M Blue | SimAudio 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Furman Elite 15i | Burmester Auto System | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    That is all very cool and I can understand his concerns. My only real thought is that with current systems, multi-core processors, incredibly fast RAM, optimized motherboards, amazingly fast new M.2 drives, etc., this would be minimal. Also, if it is a 100% dedicated machine the singular thing that is being processed is music 99% of the time. I do believe part of his assumption is that a server is much more singular purpose applications; file server, database server, DNS, etc., while normal Windows 10 machines being used at home are almost always multi-tasking. This is not the case with a dedicated machine. I would be extremely surprised if there is any performance difference what so ever, but if so the higher over head on server OS might hinder it ever so slightly. The server OS is designed to run on a completely different class of machine which I would doubt many of us would be willing to have in our audio systems. The noise of these level machines alone would not allow this in a music application.
    Where do you get the idea that windows 10 in your hopped up computer is not constantly multi tasking. The software does not care what the hardware is. To a degree. The software has to have the correct drivers. The sofrware has its many jobs to perform in the environment of many cores. Maybe it's even noisier. I have been told by 2 manufacturer they intentionally build the most basic, low power machines possible to reduce noise. I talked about it on Audionirvana. Its like a car. A 500HP Corvette is way noisier to ride in than a low power lexus. The Corvette gets you there a lot faster, but the Lexus also gets you there. IMO, a server should be a very quiet lexus. That is why 90+% of all server manufacturer use Linux. The reason in 2 fold. 1 it does not update on you. Makes customer service issues significantly less. 2 They only build in the programs needed so the machine runs with minimal background process. That makes the whole of the operating system more quiet.

One last point. Go into your Win 10 settings. Even with Audiophile Optimizer on. Look at the list of running programs. They may not be using much power, but that list has 70 or more operations that are all running in the background all the time.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Post Thanks / Like

I know of many reasons that manufactures use Linux... working with one for some time... I can tell you many times it is not primarily SQ, other factors are involved.

There is very good reasons why Windows updates itself. When you stop all of the cyber criminals out there then there will no longer be a reason for it. Linux and iOS are just as susceptible as Windows, in many ways more.

A program sitting in memory but not actually running any tasks does not affect performance and certainly does not add any "noise"; they only take up a small amount of memory being ready if needed, but doing nothing if not... as I previously stated, the memory usage is very minimal even with super demanding programs such as HQPlayer. Also, remember that servers do the exact same thing. SQL Server, loads record sets results for every single view into memory when it is started. It does nothing with all this data until it is needed. The server looks at memory first when it needs a record set returned and if it does not find it then it goes to the database and queries it. A data architect knows this and designs data calls accordingly. This is just one small example. In most ways the two OS work in exactly the same manner, holds data in memory and looks there first. By the way, both the Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 Pro run on the exact same Kernal and are simply designed for different environments.

All OS's care about the hardware. Every single systems requires drivers to communicate with the various hardware. It is a basic concept in the computer world. No matter what your OS is you need software to communicate with your hardware, ala.... drivers (or whatever you want to call it). Firmware in the BIOS is software (drivers) that is loaded from a chip on the motherboard, etc., etc.

One last thing, I do not agree with the car analogy, sorry. The more powerful machines in computers are not necessarily more "noisy", in many ways they are far less... Higher performance lower power usage CPUs, faster lower power usage RAM, no longer using any moving parts, for example SSDs and M.2 drives, etc., and being able to put heat sinks on all of these non-moving part items to drain off any small amount of heat that is generated, among many other advancements. Therefore in the computer world higher performance many times are actually quieter machines unlike automobiles .... again, I am sure views vary ....

Ok, lets leave it at that. I asked to not get into the streamer versus, etc., etc... Obviously OS is also a personal choice. This discussion is about using a computer to run Roon and HQPlayer and what has worked best, what results you are getting, what filters have worked best for you, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2