Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Uptone EtherREGEN released Oct 8th

Last week, Uptone Audio released their newest product, the EtherREGEN, a ground-up designed audiophile-grade Ethernet switch that has been in development for over 18 months.

When sales went live October 8th, the first 155 domestically avaiable units were sold in...3 minutes. The second run of ~200 sold out in less in another 45 minutes or so. Those that were able to get into the first group will receive their EtherREGENS around 10 November or so.

From Uptone:

Other “audiophile” Ethernet switches are mostly either just clock and power supply modifications of cheap off-the-shelf switches, or passive magnetics augmented with passive filter parts and a single fancy clock board.

EtherREGEN is an all-new, from the ground-up design, built on a costly 6-layer circuit board, and its components and topology are unmatched by any other Ethernet switch.

The heart of what makes our switch so unusual is the use of ACTIVE, HIGH-SPEED, LOW-JITTER DIFFERENTIAL DIGITAL ISOLATOR chips combined with ULTRA-LOW JITTER DIFFERENTIAL RE-CLOCKING FLIP-FLOPS. No other Ethernet switch on the market attempts this (doing this, and doing it correctly is neither easy nor cheap!). On the circuit board photos you can see the isolators set across the wide “moat.”

More information:
    On the ‘A’-side, there are 4 Gigabit copper Ethernet ports, plus an SFP cage for a Gigabit LC optical module. A typical user will attach a cable from their main network router or switch, and if desired any NAS (network attached storage) or other devices.

Across the “moat” at the other end of the EtherREGEN is a lone 100Mbps copper Ethernet port. This is referred to as the ‘B’-side port. It is to this port that the user will attach whatever is their one computer/streamer/bridge/renderer endpoint—the component that is directly connected to the DAC (this includes the increasing number of DACs which themselves have an Ethernet input).

So why does this arrangement matter? From Uptone:

There are two types of sound-degrading influences the EtherREGEN is designed to radically decrease: Leakage—both high-impedance and low-impedance—and clock phase-noise. The clock phase-noise travels on the Ethernet signal itself and travels on power and ground planes. [Every edge coming out of any digital device caries the jitter/phase-noise of the clock used to "clock out" that edge, this shows up on the ground-plane and affects the threshold of chips’ clock inputs. This is an oversimplification of a complex subject; we intend to publish a short white paper and measurements to demonstrate this.]

The circuitry across the moat is designed to eliminate the signal-borne phase-noise from one side to the other. EtherREGEN is mostly symmetrical—there is no “dirty side” or “clean side.” While it works identically in both directions, it is best to have the DAC-attached Ethernet endpoint device (computer/streamer/etc.) alone on one side—typically the ‘B’ side.

The circuitry between ports on the ‘A’ side decreases some phase-noise effects to some degree, but not nearly as much as crossing the ‘A’>’B’ moat.

The COMBINATION of the differential isolators and the differential flip-flops is what delivers the unrivaled performance of the EtherREGEN. The differential isolators prevent the data-borne clock signature from getting onto the PCB ground-plane, while the differential flip-flops prevent the signature from getting into the flip-flop’s own internal ground network. It takes both to accomplish the great feats of the EtherREGEN.

Some key technical features from Uptone's web page:

• EtherREGEN has two entirely isolated data/power/clock domains. And on each side of the isolators we re-clock with 10GHz-capable ultra-low-jitter (less than 0.8 picoseconds) differential flip-flops.
    • Importantly, all clocking lines (for the switch chip, the special Ethernet format conversion chips, and the high-speed flip-flops) are carefully run as differential lines—converted to single-ended clocks with special buffers just millimeters from those chips which require SE clocks.
    • The clocking system runs from a special programmable, jitter-attenuating four-output clock synthesizer, referenced to an ultra-low-jitter/phase-noise Crystek CCHD-575 XO.
    • Even the magnetics of the 4 Gigabit ‘A’-side ports are special.
    • We chose a module which utilizes 12 transformer cores in each port (most Ethernet ports have 2-6 cores), and ground their center-taps through capacitors in a way that blocks port-to-port AC leakage.

• To support its performance, the power networks of the EtherREGEN are as sophisticated and costly as the rest of the design. We use 12 of the world’s lowest-noise, lowest impedance integrated voltage regulators—the famous Linear Technology LT3045 and LT3042. Supporting both the voltage regulators and the data chips are 195 pieces of low-inductance, X7R and X5R capacitors sized and selected by their derating curves.

I ordered mine at 9:03 AM on Oct. 8, so I got into the 2nd group and will receive my EtherREGEN some time around Dec. 10th. Price is only $640, which is considerably less expensive than the AQVOX and SOtM Ethernet audiophile-grade Ethernet switches.

If you use an Ethernet switch in your digital front-end, and are interested in getting an EtherREGEN, I recommend you place an order immediately. If you're lucky, you may get into the January 2020 production shipment.

My expectation is EtherREGEN will be the best-sounding Ethernet switch on the market given its BOM and the technical & domain expertise that went into its design by John Swenson.

Re: Uptone EtherREGEN released Oct 8th

Additional engineering information from Uptone:

A note about our inclusion of an SFP cage:

Use of optical into—or out of—EtherREGEN is not required to obtain best performance. The whole point of all the isolation and re-clocking techniques we are using (in dual domains) is to make most all of the upstream stuff not matter. Other than the complete galvanic isolation that optical offers going into the EtherREGEN (which we duplicate going across the moat), there is no advantage to running optical into it.

If you happen to have a router with an optical port and have already run many feet of optical cable to your music system rack, then sure, use the optical port of the EtherREGEN. But don't go out of your way to run optical if you do not already have it. And of course for the few people who have an endpoint with optical input (the excellent Sonore opticalRendu comes to mind), one can “turn around” the EtherREGEN and feed that DAC-connected endpoint from the optical cage.

Only Gigabit LC interface modules are compatible with the SFP cage of the EtherREGEN. They can be SX Multimode or LX Singlemode, as long as they match what is used at the other end of the optical cable.

Extreme usage with an External Reference Clock:

The Crystek CCHD-575 XO used in the EtherREGEN is about the lowest phase-noise production XO available. [Sorry, but the $50~$100 OCXOs we see tossed into stock switches do not outperform the Crystek at low-offsets where it counts; Manufacturers have to spend $500 and up to obtain OCXO clocks with significantly lower phase-noise than the Crystek we use.]

Yet some audiophiles have discovered benefits using expensive ultra-low-jitter/low-phase-noise 10MHz reference clocks with their DACs or USB streamers and conditioners. A clock synthesizer (to generate the various frequencies) is always required for a device to accept an external reference clock. Since we already utilize a very advanced one to produce the 4 clock lines in the EtherREGEN, it was easy for us to include provision for connection of an external 10MHz clock. The BNC jack and termination resistor of the EtherREGEN are for a 75ohm clock line.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Last week, Uptone Audio released their newest product, the EtherREGEN, a ground-up designed audiophile-grade Ethernet switch that has been in development for over 18 months.

When sales went live October 8th, the first 155 domestically avaiable units were sold in...3 minutes. The second run of ~200 sold out in less in another 45 minutes or so. Those that were able to get into the first group will receive their EtherREGENS around 10 November or so.

From Uptone:

Other “audiophile” Ethernet switches are mostly either just clock and power supply modifications of cheap off-the-shelf switches, or passive magnetics augmented with passive filter parts and a single fancy clock board.

EtherREGEN is an all-new, from the ground-up design, built on a costly 6-layer circuit board, and its components and topology are unmatched by any other Ethernet switch.

The heart of what makes our switch so unusual is the use of ACTIVE, HIGH-SPEED, LOW-JITTER DIFFERENTIAL DIGITAL ISOLATOR chips combined with ULTRA-LOW JITTER DIFFERENTIAL RE-CLOCKING FLIP-FLOPS. No other Ethernet switch on the market attempts this (doing this, and doing it correctly is neither easy nor cheap!). On the circuit board photos you can see the isolators set across the wide “moat.”

More information:
    On the ‘A’-side, there are 4 Gigabit copper Ethernet ports, plus an SFP cage for a Gigabit LC optical module. A typical user will attach a cable from their main network router or switch, and if desired any NAS (network attached storage) or other devices.

Across the “moat” at the other end of the EtherREGEN is a lone 100Mbps copper Ethernet port. This is referred to as the ‘B’-side port. It is to this port that the user will attach whatever is their one computer/streamer/bridge/renderer endpoint—the component that is directly connected to the DAC (this includes the increasing number of DACs which themselves have an Ethernet input).

So why does this arrangement matter? From Uptone:

There are two types of sound-degrading influences the EtherREGEN is designed to radically decrease: Leakage—both high-impedance and low-impedance—and clock phase-noise. The clock phase-noise travels on the Ethernet signal itself and travels on power and ground planes. [Every edge coming out of any digital device caries the jitter/phase-noise of the clock used to "clock out" that edge, this shows up on the ground-plane and affects the threshold of chips’ clock inputs. This is an oversimplification of a complex subject; we intend to publish a short white paper and measurements to demonstrate this.]

The circuitry across the moat is designed to eliminate the signal-borne phase-noise from one side to the other. EtherREGEN is mostly symmetrical—there is no “dirty side” or “clean side.” While it works identically in both directions, it is best to have the DAC-attached Ethernet endpoint device (computer/streamer/etc.) alone on one side—typically the ‘B’ side.

The circuitry between ports on the ‘A’ side decreases some phase-noise effects to some degree, but not nearly as much as crossing the ‘A’>’B’ moat.

The COMBINATION of the differential isolators and the differential flip-flops is what delivers the unrivaled performance of the EtherREGEN. The differential isolators prevent the data-borne clock signature from getting onto the PCB ground-plane, while the differential flip-flops prevent the signature from getting into the flip-flop’s own internal ground network. It takes both to accomplish the great feats of the EtherREGEN.

Some key technical features from Uptone's web page:

• EtherREGEN has two entirely isolated data/power/clock domains. And on each side of the isolators we re-clock with 10GHz-capable ultra-low-jitter (less than 0.8 picoseconds) differential flip-flops.
    • Importantly, all clocking lines (for the switch chip, the special Ethernet format conversion chips, and the high-speed flip-flops) are carefully run as differential lines—converted to single-ended clocks with special buffers just millimeters from those chips which require SE clocks.
    • The clocking system runs from a special programmable, jitter-attenuating four-output clock synthesizer, referenced to an ultra-low-jitter/phase-noise Crystek CCHD-575 XO.
    • Even the magnetics of the 4 Gigabit ‘A’-side ports are special.
    • We chose a module which utilizes 12 transformer cores in each port (most Ethernet ports have 2-6 cores), and ground their center-taps through capacitors in a way that blocks port-to-port AC leakage.

• To support its performance, the power networks of the EtherREGEN are as sophisticated and costly as the rest of the design. We use 12 of the world’s lowest-noise, lowest impedance integrated voltage regulators—the famous Linear Technology LT3045 and LT3042. Supporting both the voltage regulators and the data chips are 195 pieces of low-inductance, X7R and X5R capacitors sized and selected by their derating curves.

I ordered mine at 9:03 AM on Oct. 8, so I got into the 2nd group and will receive my EtherREGEN some time around Dec. 10th. Price is only $640, which is considerably less expensive than the AQVOX and SOtM Ethernet audiophile-grade Ethernet switches.

If you use an Ethernet switch in your digital front-end, and are interested in getting an EtherREGEN, I recommend you place an order immediately. If you're lucky, you may get into the January 2020 production shipment.

My expectation is EtherREGEN will be the best-sounding Ethernet switch on the market given its BOM and the technical & domain expertise that went into its design by John Swenson.
    I procrastinated and ordered out of curiosity thinking their approach is solid. Stephen and I have wrote different threads on the importance of putting low cost effort into maximizing sound quality.

Guys that hope their reference systems can bring the best of streaming and not address their digital front end are leaving some serious sound quality on the table!

My delivery is slated sometime January, and in the interim I’m extremely happy with my sound believing it’s tough to beat not because of the system but rather the effort and I finally should be spinning vinyl in a couple of weeks Uptone EtherREGEN released Oct 8th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Waiting for mine for the second production batch in December.
    It has really been a long wait since Alex Crespi first reported that they were working on this product, and that was March 22, 2018.
    I have strong hopes that it will be much better than my Aqvox Switch.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Out of curiosity, I ordered one after seeing this thread. Mine belongs to January batch.

I do have a Gigafoil, so I will try with and without Gigafoil when it arrives.

Also looking much forward to this switch. I ordered from vortex box UK and should be in first row with delivery in Nov
    Buch

"If there's no music up in heaven, then what's it for?" (Arcade Fire)

Quote Originally Posted by Buch73 View Post
    Also looking much forward to this switch. I ordered from vortex box UK and should be in first row with delivery in Nov

I received the etherREGEN yesterday after receiving shipping notice the day before.

Build quality is superb for a switch, and I like the fact it is purpose built!

It’s recommend by UpTone to install this unit before the component using the shortest cable and the cable doesn’t need to be a crazy audiophile grade and for power it is recommend by UpTones to use their power supply which is claimed to be more than sufficient.

So how did it fit into my system where I spent time and money to produce some serious digital? Not as good as I hoped, but it’s not a deal killer and I’ll tell you why in a minute, but before I do I highly recommend this switch if your not already using an audiophile grade quality switch, and use their return policy if your not satisfied.

My first place to try this was in place of my Gigafoil V4, powered with Ghent Gotham cable from a Keces P3 power supply. Audioquest is run from the Gigafoil to an Aurender N10.

I played what I consider a reference album as it has it all; voice, cello, bass, piano and snare.

Each category the tones fell without timbre, without decay, without substance. I pulled the switch after a few listens knowing it was not doing justice.

I decided to try this in place of my AQVox SE that is 45 feet away connected with a Belkin shield cable made by Ghent. The AQVox is fed with AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cables, that surpassed the Nordost Heimdall 2’s. The switch is grounded using 6 AWG copper to the cold water pipe. Modem is powered with a Keces P8 again using Gotham cables by Ghent, isolation by Stillpoints Ultra SS sitting on an Adona platform.

Result? Harmonics were back but just under the AQVox SE.

In all fairness the UpTone switch was not powered with the Keces P8 nor was it grounded. However, UpTone indicated not to use anything before it’s etherREGEN and in this method the Gigafoil was now being fed.

I pulled this trial but will revert back to this setup using the Keces and grounding and give it 160 hours of break in which will be under a weeks time, then keep everyone updated.

In the interim, if one wants to stream and playback digital I highly recommend you address the detail that will bring the most from your system. The same rules apply; power, isolation and cables, and yes Ethernet cables do matter, it’s obvious.

Happy listening!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

So you prefer the AQVox SE switch to the Uptone EtherREGEN? Did you compare with and without the GigafoilV4 Filter and was the result the same under both scenarios?

Thanks,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    I received the etherREGEN yesterday after receiving shipping notice the day before.

Build quality is superb for a switch, and I like the fact it is purpose built!

It’s recommend by UpTone to install this unit before the component using the shortest cable and the cable doesn’t need to be a crazy audiophile grade and for power it is recommend by UpTones to use their power supply which is claimed to be more than sufficient.

So how did it fit into my system where I spent time and money to produce some serious digital? Not as good as I hoped, but it’s not a deal killer and I’ll tell you why in a minute, but before I do I highly recommend this switch if your not already using an audiophile grade quality switch, and use their return policy if your not satisfied.

My first place to try this was in place of my Gigafoil V4, powered with Ghent Gotham cable from a Keces P3 power supply. Audioquest is run from the Gigafoil to an Aurender N10.

I played what I consider a reference album as it has it all; voice, cello, bass, piano and snare.

Each category the tones fell without timbre, without decay, without substance. I pulled the switch after a few listens knowing it was not doing justice.

I decided to try this in place of my AQVox SE that is 45 feet away connected with a Belkin shield cable made by Ghent. The AQVox is fed with AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cables, that surpassed the Nordost Heimdall 2’s. The switch is grounded using 6 AWG copper to the cold water pipe. Modem is powered with a Keces P8 again using Gotham cables by Ghent, isolation by Stillpoints Ultra SS sitting on an Adona platform.

Result? Harmonics were back but just under the AQVox SE.

In all fairness the UpTone switch was not powered with the Keces P8 nor was it grounded. However, UpTone indicated not to use anything before it’s etherREGEN and in this method the Gigafoil was now being fed.

I pulled this trial but will revert back to this setup using the Keces and grounding and give it 160 hours of break in which will be under a weeks time, then keep everyone updated.

In the interim, if one wants to stream and playback digital I highly recommend you address the detail that will bring the most from your system. The same rules apply; power, isolation and cables, and yes Ethernet cables do matter, it’s obvious.

Happy listening!

Nice digital front end.
    Thk you for your indights, cause i have this switch upgrade on my shortlist.
    Your choice of the p8 is a killer, i own one p8 single output 19v/8a powering my server, and another one p8 12v/8a is in route to power cpu of the server seperately.
    We, a group of friends, made a comparaison of 3 servers/ streamers lately, dcs nb, n10, and my own streamer, very interesting!
    If you want to know more, pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    So you prefer the AQVox SE switch to the Uptone EtherREGEN? Did you compare with and without the GigafoilV4 Filter and was the result the same under both scenarios?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Hi Ken,

Right now the configurement as described above does tilt towards the AQVox SE.

Grounding the AQVox with 6 AWG Copper to the cold water pipe paid very noticeable dividends - the advantage I have here is all this is housed in the mechanical room of the house that is 45’ from the music room and on its own dedicated circuit.

Yes, the first try was in place of the Gigafoil and the second without. It was very obvious that Gigafoils optical filter does it job and very, very well mind you but does incorporate the benefit of cables and power supplies and even sits atop Stillpoint Ultra Minis but not sure if the S/Points help or not.

I stress all ancillary pieces as how it’s configured in the setup makes a huge difference supported by continuous testing. and you need to incorporate this in part or as a hole to get maximum benefit.

It will be interesting to see how it behaves powered with the Keces P8 and grounded, and here is where I will think it will outperform the AQVox SE and will try it again with and without the Gigafoil.

Both are no slouch, and if I we’re to start over I would begin with the UpTone as it’s purpose built, and I believe slight less in cost, just not sure yet if you can get away from Gigafoil or similar optical and your in it with cables regardless - stay tuned!

...In all fairness the UpTone switch was not powered with the Keces P8 nor was it grounded. However, UpTone indicated not to use anything before it’s etherREGEN and in this method the Gigafoil was now being fed.

Happy listening!

Thanks for your report. I have not yet read a review where the listener was satisfied without using a power supply on the Etherregen (or any other switch, for that matter). I'll be interested in your findings running the Etherregen with a power supply. By the way, I don't mean to get the thread sidetracked, but have you tried power supplies other than Keces?
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Mine also arrived 2 days ago. It replaces my Airport Express and it’s being used in conjunction with Gigafoil as follows:

Modem/router > ER via port B (powered by Teddy Pardo 12v LPS) > AQ Vodka > Gigafoil (powered by Keces LPS) > AQ Diamond > MSB DAC

I’ve always used Teddy Pardo with my Airport Express and the only change that is being made is ER replacing AE.

I find it to be a positive addition after some break-in (right out of the box cold not so much). I’ve probably logged about 30-35 hours. Music has more weight, focus and clarity. Obviously you can’t expect the change to be on par with speakers or amp change, but the improvement I hear is not insignificant. For the price I paid for ER, god knows I have paid more for less in the past. Probably more than once or twice. Uptone EtherREGEN released Oct 8th

I also connect my AppleTV to ER via one of the port A’s and noticed some visual improvement on the OLED screen as well, especially when streaming 4K content from AppleTV.

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    Thanks for your report. I have not yet read a review where the listener was satisfied without using a power supply on the Etherregen (or any other switch, for that matter). I'll be interested in your findings running the Etherregen with a power supply. By the way, I don't mean to get the thread sidetracked, but have you tried power supplies other than Keces?
    No problem.

You and me both on what findings will reveal.

Only have ran the Keces, and have one other I’m drawing a blank on, not as robust as Keces.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Mine also arrived 2 days ago. It replaces my Airport Express and it’s being used in conjunction with Gigafoil as follows:

Modem/router > ER via port B (powered by Teddy Pardo 12v LPS) > AQ Vodka > Gigafoil (powered by Keces LPS) > AQ Diamond > MSB DAC

I’ve always used Teddy Pardo with my Airport Express and the only change that is being made is ER replacing AE.

I find it to be a positive addition after some break-in (right out of the box cold not so much). I’ve probably logged about 30-35 hours. Music has more weight, focus and clarity. Obviously you can’t expect the change to be on par with speakers or amp change, but the improvement I hear is not insignificant. For the price I paid for ER, god knows I have paid more for less in the past. Probably more than once or twice. Uptone EtherREGEN released Oct 8th

I also connect my AppleTV to ER via one of the port A’s and noticed some visual improvement on the OLED screen as well, especially when streaming 4K content from AppleTV.
    Without even hearing it, that replacement should be significant. Yes these audio grade switches do add visual improvement to video.

If the AQVox SE (without GigaFoil) is really better than EtherREGEN, that would indicate that AQVox SE is MUCH BETTER than AQVox, because in my case the replacement of AQVox by EtherREGEN has made a great leap in the naturalness of music and lack of digital stress
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    If the AQVox SE (without GigaFoil) is really better than EtherREGEN, that would indicate that AQVox SE is MUCH BETTER than AQVox, because in my case the replacement of AQVox by EtherREGEN has made a great leap in the naturalness of music and lack of digital stress
    Is your AQVox on a linear PS?
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

It seems to continue to improve as of this morning. At this point, ER isn’t going back when 30-day trial period ends.

It seems to continue to improve as of this morning. At this point, ER isn’t going back when 30-day trial period ends.
    I set the Aurender to load all streaming selections on continuous, and will let this play out for 160 hours - it appears to be sounding better today, but will really compare this midweek in the setup with 45’ of cable before Gigafoil

I set the Aurender to load all streaming selections on continuous, and will let this play out for 160 hours - it appears to be sounding better today, but will really compare this midweek in the setup with 45’ of cable before Gigafoil

I don't know Ed. Big slab of Granite. Stillpoints. Keces power supply. Are you sure you have your digital backbone up to snuff.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    Is your AQVox on a linear PS?

Yes. I have had AQVox, both with Uptone LPS 1.2, and with Kenneth Lau LPS. I simply changed Aqvox to EtherREGEN, without further configuration
    changes.

Francisco

Yes. I have had AQVox, both with Uptone LPS 1.2, and with Kenneth Lau LPS. I simply changed Aqvox to EtherREGEN, without further configuration
    changes.

What is the voltage requirement of the AQVox SE and Uptone EtherREGEN? Any preference on sound quality at this point?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Hi Ken.
    AQVox (I guess also the SE version) requires 5 volts. EtherREGEN supports between 7 and 12 volts.
    With the Google translation, the second part of your message is not very clear to me.
    Francisco

Hi Ken.
    AQVox (I guess also the SE version) requires 5 volts. EtherREGEN supports between 7 and 12 volts.
    With the Google translation, the second part of your message is not very clear to me.
    Thanks Francisco. My second question is, which switch sounds better to you?

Best,
    Ken

Unless I missed it (quite possible), I haven't read any listener reports that have compared a stock SOtM sNH-10G (no upgrades at all) at $800 to an Uptone Etherregen at $640. I would be very interested in reading about such a comparison.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Ken

To answer your question, the etherREGEN sounds better using the Keces P8 power supply over the OEM power supply. I don’t know how other power supplies would fare but would expect similar results.

My Keces P8 is powered using a AudioQuest Hurricane power cable, and coming from it are Ghent’s Gotham cables into the etherREGEN. I only mention this as it was obvious that power cables make a difference and know this statement is not biased or ignorant as many audiophile friends have been over, including a 30 year plus die hard analog connoisseur. Each time we changed out power cables with one being an Ansuz C series that proved too much and a Nordost Red Dawn, not enough and all agreed settling in the middle with the Audioquest Hurricane was the best choice for what we had. I also bought the Audioquest new P3 distribution for the server room so it would be a part of cable synergy - Audioquest Diamonds are from the modem to switch and from the Gigafoil to the Aurender. An Audioquest Vodka now connect the AudioVox SE that supports the home.

I mention all this as each level of engagement contributes to the sound in very obvious ways - and it does matter. The objective is to use various grades of power supplies and cables to out perform the OEM.

I have attached pictures to show both the Uptone and Keces power supplies to show I did the test.

The aftermarket power supply delivers more punch in sound quality through the range highlighting the low and mid - is it mandatory? Yes IMO, but not needed out the gate and recommend adding it later to let things settle and then hear the difference.

The quality level of the sound was clearly evident listening to what I use for reference tracks where each part demonstrates each range well.

Vocals and bass where the biggest benefit.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Stairway to Heaven

Sam Cooke - Lost and Lookin’

Wake Up! (It’s Me!)

Norah Jones - Cold Cold Heart

As I mentioned, I was going to give until Wednesday to decide if I was going to keep this, but right now things landed where I am happy, and if improvement is still realized in the next few days, better for me.

I’m not using the etherREGEN as recommenced by UpTone Alex. Its still 45 feet from the Aurender, it connects into a Gigafoil V4 that powered with Keces P3 with aftermarket power and interconnect cables.

etherREGEN is a recommenced buy, and not saying it is better than the AudioVox SE, Linear Solution, but like SOTM it’s purpose built, and that means a lot to me.

IMO it’s about how these enter into service and what you do to support them, but to listen to good digital is a commitment to gain the most of what you have for a DAC no matter the brand. I feel most analog guys that cross into digital do not give it as much attention and see how the wars started between digital and analog, and rightfully so when not done right!

In the end, a lot of this is power, and isolation, mandatory for a systems foundation!

Thanks Francisco. My second question is, which switch sounds better to you?

Best,
    Ken
    Now it is very clear. Well it's pretty easy; EtherREGEN and by much difference. I don't know what you can do: AQVox SE, SOtm sNH-10G or GigaFoil, but I just published my impressions on Computer Audiophile and attached them here.

“In the month of March (and when I was thinking of updating my AQVox to the SE version), it will be two years since Alex made the announcement that they were working on a new Switch designed entirely from zero, and based on the separation by means of a "pit" of the incoming RJ45 ports and the outgoing RJ45 port, in order to "totally" isolate the devices downstream from the EtherREGEN, from those that were upstream. I liked what I read and in an act of faith (like so many of us) I decided to wait, which in the end has been almost two years.
    Unlike some installations that have been explained here, mine is really very simple:

Router with LPS Kenneth Lau.
    AQ Cinnamon RJ45 cable
    AQVox Switch (EtherREGEN) with LPS Kenneth Lau
    Göbel RJ45 cable
    Melco N1ZH60-2
    Göbel USB cable
    Kassandra Reference MKll

I have to say and this is important as you will see later, that all devices, except the Router (which is in the kitchen) are connected to a Shunyata Denali 6000T.
    I also have to say that I have powered EtherREGEN with its SMTP, with LPS 1.2 from Uptone and with LPS from Kenneth Lau. And also that the only device Router that I have “upstream” of the ER, I have tested it with its Shunyata Alfa NR cable, with an Isotek Optimun cable and I have switched between the SR Blue fuse I had and the new SR Orange. All these changes in order to check if the objective of total isolation through the pit had been met.
    My conclusions are as follows:
    1.- If you have a normal Switch or an AQVox, changing it to an ER produces an increase in the SQ? The answer is a big YES, even if you use the Uptone SMTP and even better with a good LPS. Which shows that that pit or ADIM as Uptone calls it, is doing a great job.
    2.- Does ADIM isolate “totally” both sides of the pit? My answer is a big NO. Absolutely all the changes made to the Router resulted in a change in the sound of the system. This can be positive because it indicates that there is still room for improvement for the future.
    3.- Although my Kenneth Lau LPS has the floating output, and since I only have one entry occupied on the A side (the one that goes to the Router) in principle connecting the ground screw of the ER to the ground of the power grid I should not improve the system's SQ. As testing costs little, I took an Entreq Apollo Infinity cable that I had unused and connected the ER screw to a socket on the wall. Immediately the sound changed, not necessarily better, let's say different. Then I remembered that the Denali had a free socket and I connected the ground wire to it. "Clinck" is as if all the pieces of the puzzle suddenly fit into place. With this change, I was perplexed. How did the sound change? (I'm a lousy descriptor):
    Clarity, organic sound and reduction (even more) of digital stress.
    The violin masses of many orchestral recordings, which are my
    authentic "bête noir" sounded natural now, or at least much more natural, than I had ever heard.
    Why unify the earth of the ER plate to that of the rest of the system, produces this effect ?, I have no idea, but in my system it is evident.
    Is it worth the ER? Absolutely and for $ 650 it seems the biggest "bargain" in history”
    Francisco

I forgot to comment, that as usual, you can't make a decision without burning it. The SQ varied for a few days.
    Francisco

I forgot to comment, that as usual, you can't make a decision without burning it. The SQ varied for a few days.
    Yep, the way I read this we took similar paths and are hearing similar results.

The common passive ground works wonders, but can and will back fire so don’t settle on different ensure it’s better. I only came across negative affects on my turn table and phono - in this case all was fully balanced connections.

Enjoy!

I read the full product description of the EtherREGEN on the Uptone website last night. What surprised me was in the displayed setup diagram, the EtherREGEN is not even being used as a switch, just as an isolator/filter and reclocker. The diagram shows the router, server and NAS still all connected to the regular network switch. In fact, it even states that connecting these items to the EtherREGEN rather than the regular network switch wouldn’t make much difference. So this raises the question, is the EtherREGEN really an audiophile switch? If not, audiophile switches such as the AQVOX SE or SOTM could replace the regular network switch and be used in conjunction with the EtherREGEN.

Ken

I read the full product description of the EtherREGEN on the Uptone website last night. What surprised me was in the displayed setup diagram, the EtherREGEN is not even being used as a switch, just as an isolator/filter and reclocker. The diagram shows the router, server and NAS still all connected to the regular network switch. In fact, it even states that connecting these items to the EtherREGEN rather than the regular network switch wouldn’t make much difference. So this raises the question, is the EtherREGEN really an audiophile switch? If not, audiophile switches such as the AQVOX SE or SOTM could replace the regular network switch and be used in conjunction with the EtherREGEN.

Ken
    Perhaps that’s why I struggled with it on its first placement and chose the setup that’s running now.

If the case, that may partially explain why it was not outperforming the original AQVox SE setup.

In its current position it’s passing my listening test as mentioned above but uses LPS and Grounding to do so.

Ken
    Hi Ken,
    The way I use I connect AppleTV and Roon Nucleus to the ports on “A” side. The lone “B” side port goes to my Gigafoil. I do not have NAS.

Hi Ken,
    The way I use I connect AppleTV and Roon Nucleus to the ports on “A” side. The lone “B” side port goes to my Gigafoil. I do not have NAS.
    One thing I meant to say, but did not, is I do notice visual improvement on AppleTV. Uptone also mentions in a small booklet that came with ER that even “A” side ports isolation is better than off-the-shelf switches. Apparently if you have NAS, one of “A” side ports can be used.

One thing I meant to say, but did not, is I do notice visual improvement on AppleTV. Uptone also mentions in a small booklet that came with ER that even “A” side ports isolation is better than off-the-shelf switches. Apparently if you have NAS, one of “A” side ports can be used.
    I guess if I decide to purchase the EtherREGEN, I will utilize its “A” LAN ports for my NetGear Nighthawk Router, Roon Nucleus Plus and Synology NAS. The “B” port will go to my Renderer input module on the Select 2 DAC. I will also use my Keces P3 for the power supply. Not sure if I should set to 9 or 12 volts.

Thanks,
    Ken

I guess if I decide to purchase the EtherREGEN, I will utilize its “A” LAN ports for my NetGear Nighthawk Router, Roon Nucleus Plus and Synology NAS. The “B” port will go to my Renderer input module on the Select 2 DAC. I will use also use my Keces P3 for the power supply. Not sure if I should set to 9 or 12 volts.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Is there a potential downside to setting it to 9V? It is only recently that I have been reading that 12V is the way to go, no matter the switch.
    Anthony

I guess if I decide to purchase the EtherREGEN, I will utilize its “A” LAN ports for my NetGear Nighthawk Router, Roon Nucleus Plus and Synology NAS. The “B” port will go to my Renderer input module on the Select 2 DAC. I will use also use my Keces P3 for the power supply. Not sure if I should set to 9 or 12 volts.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Hi Ken,
    My Teddy Pardo supply used for etherRegen is 12V output. I do need to double check, but I think ER can accept 7V to 12V range. Lower voltage is okay as long as it’s within the range and can supply enough current for that particular voltage.

BTW, I know you have a Gigafoil, so it can be inserted between ER and Renderer input module on Select 2. At least this is the configuration I’m using now. I may try a few different configurations in the coming months if time allows, but definitely not in a rush since the improvement I hear now is already enough to keep the ER.

Is there a potential downside to setting it to 9V? It is only recently that I have been reading that 12V is the way to go, no matter the switch.
    12v gives higher supply headroom (which is always better for solid state circuit functionality) and as long as that particular power supply can satisfy the current consumption of the circuit at 12v, it should be fine.

LPS output current spec goes down with higher voltage level, so you do need to check both LPS and the circuit current spec.

Lower voltage with higher current generally equal more heat. High voltage low current create less heat.

The unit definitely needs at least 100-150 hours for the sound to settle in. Even if you use it in a non-audio place in your network I would give it time before making a final assessment. I found that the sound of mine changed for quite a while.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

12v gives higher supply headroom (which is always better for solid state circuit functionality) and as long as that particular power supply can satisfy the current consumption of the circuit at 12v, it should be fine.

LPS output current spec goes down with higher voltage level, so you do need to check both LPS and the circuit current spec.
    I meant to ask is there is a potential downside to using 12v?
    Anthony

I meant to ask is there is a potential downside to using 12v?
    Nope, your at the best place, maximum in spec powers is a good thing FME

Yep, the way I read this we took similar paths and are hearing similar results.

The common passive ground works wonders, but can and will back fire so don’t settle on different ensure it’s better. I only came across negative affects on my turn table and phono - in this case all was fully balanced connections.

Enjoy!

Well, I don't have that problem. A little over a year ago I went to the "dark side" selling my Turntable and Phono
    Francisco

Unless I missed it (quite possible), I haven't read any listener reports that have compared a stock SOtM sNH-10G (no upgrades at all) at $800 to an Uptone Etherregen at $640. I would be very interested in reading about such a comparison.
    In WBT a member did the test and in his opinion: SOtm with updates better than ER, but ER better than SOtm without updates.
    Francisco

In WBT a member did the test and in his opinion: SOtm with updates better than ER, but ER better than SOtm without updates.
    What updates are we talking about?

The SOTM is about a 1000, the Uptone is about 800 and the AQ-switch SE is also 800. he Anzus is even more expensive, they start at 2k.

It all seems to be a lot of money for a switch, just to listen to Qobuz.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

The EtherRegen is $640.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

Banned

Regarding the AQVox SE and the GigafoilV4 Filter

Would either of these slow down my 940 Mbps connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Regarding the AQVox SE and the GigafoilV4 Filter

Would either of these slow down my 940 Mbps connection?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    The EtherRegen is $640.
    The only place in Europe that sells it asks about 800euro for it.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    The only place in Europe that sells it asks about 800euro for it.
    That isn't too far off when you consider the 20% VAT. ($640 + 20% would be ~$770). converting to Euros (577 Euros + 20% = almost 700 Euros.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    What updates are we talking about?

The SOTM is about a 1000, the Uptone is about 800 and the AQ-switch SE is also 800. he Anzus is even more expensive, they start at 2k.

It all seems to be a lot of money for a switch, just to listen to Qobuz.
    Updates are: SCLK-EX clock board, Evox capacitors and improved internal wiring.
    On the other hand, if you assume that introducing a Switch like these, only improves the SQ of the Streaming and not that of the local files on the server, you are in error.
    Francisco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team