Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Uptone EtherREGEN released Oct 8th

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    That isn't too far off when you consider the 20% VAT. ($640 + 20% would be ~$770). converting to Euros (577 Euros + 20% = almost 700 Euros.
    And you have to add $ 34 of transport, plus the commission of Fedex for customs procedures.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

The break-in goes through a bit of downturn before getting better IME. I lost track of hours but probably over 150 hr. It’s now even better than the last time I reported. More focus and clarity with a sense of ease. About 3 days ago it was that relentlessness that you usually get with some component break-in.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    The break-in goes through a bit of downturn before getting better IME. I lost track of hours but probably over 150 hr. It’s now even better than the last time I reported. More focus and clarity with a sense of ease. About 3 days ago it was that relentlessness that you usually get with some component break-in.
    Same experience here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I’ve concluded ER is quite good and worthwhile add to any system that streams music. It responds well to aftermarket LPS. It also works very well using in conjunction with Gigafoil. This leads me to question if there’s additional benefit to be had to use in series with more than one ER. For example, ER > ER > Gigafoil > DAC. SOTM reportedly claims daisy-chained SOTM 10G switches are better than one.

I’ve concluded ER is quite good and worthwhile add to any system that streams music. It responds well to aftermarket LPS. It also works very well using in conjunction with Gigafoil. This leads me to question if there’s additional benefit to be had to use in series with more than one ER. For example, ER > ER > Gigafoil > DAC. SOTM reportedly claims daisy-chained SOTM 10G switches are better than one.
    Some people have tested daisy-chained ERs and did not like the results.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    The unit definitely needs at least 100-150 hours for the sound to settle in. Even if you use it in a non-audio place in your network I would give it time before making a final assessment. I found that the sound of mine changed for quite a while.
    That is correct. Comes on full song by 200 hours.

Yup....

No, I don't think so. Some folks, including a good friend, have reported that ER sounds even better when using the Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 power supply over the stock, supplied one. Gonna try this today.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    No, I don't think so. Some folks, including a good friend, have reported that ER sounds even better when using the Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 power supply over the stock, supplied one. Gonna try this today.
    IME, using a quality LPS and cables did their job in adding performance to etherREGEN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

After more break-in, there’s more improvement and I can now say EtherRegen is quite good. It’s a must-have even if you already have a Gigafoil, which you can daisy chain with. If you stream music, it’s a must-try in your system, given its relatively low price.

Note: non-streamers can continue to regard this as snake oil and should look elsewhere.

After more break-in, there’s more improvement and I can now say EtherRegen is quite good. It’s a must-have even if you already have a Gigafoil, which you can daisy chain with. If you stream music, it’s a must-try in your system, given its relatively low price.

Note: non-streamers can continue to regard this as snake oil and should look elsewhere.
    Funny, I was just getting ready to say essentially the same thing. I’m very impressed!

I did move Gigafoil before etherREGEN where’s it was before the server and replaced the cable between Gigafoil and etherREGEN to an Audioquest Vodka. Out of etherREGEN is the Audioquest Diamond.

Cables make a difference on both ends of etherREGEN from my experience, and I was hoping UpTone was right saying they would not add anything as well as power supplies.

I will update the Vodka over time either with my 4th Diamond or move up the current Diamond after trying a Shunyata Sigma seeing what that does.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Funny, I was just getting ready to say essentially the same thing. I’m very impressed!

I did move Gigafoil before etherREGEN where’s it was before the server and replaced the cable between Gigafoil and etherREGEN to an Audioquest Vodka. Out of etherREGEN is the Audioquest Diamond.

Cables make a difference on both ends of etherREGEN from my experience, and I was hoping UpTone was right saying they would not add anything as well as power supplies.

I will update the Vodka over time either with my 4th Diamond or move up the current Diamond after trying a Shunyata Sigma seeing what that does.

Ed, Did you try the etherRegen before the Gigafoil and now are using it after the Gigafoil? And you have heard an improvement with the Gigafoil both ways, but prefer eR > Gigafoil?

As I understand both the Gigafoil and eR use fiber isolation, so I wonder if they are at least theoretically redundant. John Swenson did say awhile back he thought the Gigafoil would be superfluous used with the eR.
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Just some info regarding copper Ethernet cables: even the Shunyata Venom smokes the AQ Vodka and by quite a ways. The Sigma Ether is on a whole other couple of levels beyond that. It also has two common mode noise filters that really lower the noise floor significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    Ed, Did you try the etherRegen before the Gigafoil and now are using it after the Gigafoil? And you have heard an improvement with the Gigafoil both ways, but prefer eR > Gigafoil?

As I understand both the Gigafoil and eR use fiber isolation, so I wonder if they are at least theoretically redundant. John Swenson did say awhile back he thought the Gigafoil would be superfluous used with the eR.
    The EtherREGEN has an SFP cage to support an optical transciever so it can be used as fiber media converter, but its primary function is to serve as Ethernet switch that separates the two halves of the switch, the A-side from B-side with an ADIM (isolation moat). This is to prevent the passage of low-and high-impedance leakage currents from upstream 'garbage-y" devices, e.g. music servers, NAS, routers, SMPS, and the like. The SFP cage is on the A side, where the four other RJ45 ports are. ER can be used bi-directionally, but the key point of operating it is that what connects to the downstream network bridge, streamer or Ethernet capable DAC should have only one outgoing copper Ethernet or optical fiber cable from ER going to the downstream component.

For my setup, I use only one input on the A-side of ER, the SFP cage and optical transceiver (OT). Upstream in my bedroom/study, I have a Sonore Optical Module (OM) that converts copper Ethernet from my router (which also has 4 switch connections) to optical fiber. The OM-1 spec fiber from the OM then runs down to the SFP cage/OT in ER in my audio rack.

So, I would agree with John Swenson using a GigaFOIL is superfluous with ER if you use it in the manner that I do. In fact, its superfluous if you have an OpticalModule as well, which is <1/2 the cost of a GigaFOIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post

Hey Will

Yes, I ran etherREGEN before the Gigafoil V4, and it sounded very good, and recently changed it so now etherREGEN feeds the Aurender and prefer this connection as it brings on more dynamics while sounding better than previous.

Ethernet > Gigafoil > etherREGEN > Aurender N10

Just some info regarding copper Ethernet cables: even the Shunyata Venom smokes the AQ Vodka and by quite a ways. The Sigma Ether is on a whole other couple of levels beyond that. It also has two common mode noise filters that really lower the noise floor significantly.
    Hi Stephen,

Alex at UpTone indicated any Ethernet cable would work going into the etherREGEN and to use a quality cable from the Port B to the end point.

I don’t have for lack of better term any generic cables, and used the top of line AQVox SE upon installation and just repurposed a Audioquest Vodka from the living room cable box that was not needed and was impressed that I achieved better sound quality when Alex said it would not matter.

A side note; he referenced a LPS would make no difference but people where using it and seeing results, and I’m in the results camp, more so when adding Ghent Gotham DC cables aside from Nordost power cables.

So, you can bet this will come out and be followed with an Audioquest Diamond that will fully loom 4 Diamond Cables from modem to server, but before I do I will try the Sigma from the etherREGEN to the Aurender, and move the Diamond to replace the Vodka and see what this will bring.

In any event I am pro Shunyata, and look forward to hearing their quality products.

Thanks!

Ethernet > Gigafoil > etherREGEN > Aurender N10
    Yes, this would be a good configuration if you wanted to take advantage of the RFI/EMI/leakage current isolation advantages by the GigaFOIL.

The EtherREGEN has an SFP cage to support an optical transciever so it can be used as fiber media converter, but its primary function is to serve as Ethernet switch that separates the two halves of the switch, the A-side from B-side with an ADIM (isolation moat). This is to prevent the passage of low-and high-impedance leakage currents from upstream 'garbage-y" devices, e.g. music servers, NAS, routers, SMPS, and the like. The SFP cage is on the A side, where the four other RJ45 ports are. ER can be used bi-directionally, but the key point of operating it is that what connects to the downstream network bridge, streamer or Ethernet capable DAC should have only one outgoing copper Ethernet or optical fiber cable from ER going to the downstream component.

For my setup, I use only one input on the A-side of ER, the SFP cage and optical transceiver (OT). Upstream in my bedroom/study, I have a Sonore Optical Module (OM) that converts copper Ethernet from my router (which also has 4 switch connections) to optical fiber. The OM-1 spec fiber from the OM then runs down to the SFP cage/OT in ER in my audio rack.

So, I would agree with John Swenson using a GigaFOIL is superfluous with ER if you use it in the manner that I do. In fact, its superfluous if you have an OpticalModule as well, which is <1/2 the cost of a GigaFOIL.
    PumaCat, my thought was to connect two devices through the EtherRegen . With ethernet coming from my upstream Cisco switch into the EtherRegen on The A side. And running optical from the A side SFP Port to my server. And then to also run copper from the B-side to my Roon Endpoint just before the Dac.
    Does that fit in with the right protocol? Thanks.
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Uptone EtherREGEN released Oct 8th

Yes, this would be a good configuration if you wanted to take advantage of the RFI/EMI/leakage current isolation advantages by the GigaFOIL.
    Can you please elaborate more on why that is, as opposed to ER feeding Gigafoil?

I have not tried this configuration as I do use A side ports on ER for my AppleTV and Roon Nucleus. Intuitively, I just assume, ER feeding Gigafoil is the only way for my usage. I guess it’s worth giving it a shot (when I have some time on weekends). Nonetheless ER feeding Gigafoil is still very impressive IME.

On a side note, many manufacturers claim no improvement with aftermarket LPS, yet I still experience time and again that’s not the case. It makes sense to me, especially in solid state circuits, power is upmost importance because, contrary to what many people may think, no signal is ever literally passed through any SS circuits, but recreated in every stages using power rails. Hence, better power supply and/or grounding usually bring improvement.

Can you please elaborate more on why that is, as opposed to ER feeding Gigafoil?

I have not tried this configuration as I do use A side ports on ER for my AppleTV and Roon Nucleus. Intuitively, I just assume, ER feeding Gigafoil is the only way for my usage. I guess it’s worth giving it a shot (when I have some time on weekends). Nonetheless ER feeding Gigafoil is still very impressive IME.
    Try it, and give it a short window of time and see what you think - I’m happy I reconfigured this but note there is no other device inserted in the A side if that means anything.

Try it, and give it a short window of time and see what you think - I’m happy I reconfigured this but note there is no other device inserted in the A side if that means anything.

I will. I usually try to “live” with a new configuration for days/weeks, so for sure will give plenty of time. Unless of course this configuration doesn’t allow A ports usage.

I will. I usually try to “live” with a new configuration for days/weeks, so for sure will give plenty of time. Unless of course this configuration doesn’t allow A ports usage.
    IMO, beyond a day or two on a system change tells me it’s not a system improvement, it’s a personal adjustment.

Your “A” ports are open other than the cable from the Gigafoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ultrafast69

Among the LPSs, which do you think goes best with ER?

thanks, Jay

Here's a snip from an email exchange with Alex of Uptone; And BTW, the EtherREGEN sounds terrific with just the stock supply it ships with. Unlike other types of components—and due to the lengths we go to with its internal power networks—it responds only a very little to upgraded linear power supplies. (And I say that as someone who offers two excellent LPS models…;-)).
    Of course, there is a return option if you want to still experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by chungjh View Post
    Ultrafast69

Among the LPSs, which do you think goes best with ER?

thanks, Jay
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Here's a snip from an email exchange with Alex of Uptone; And BTW, the EtherREGEN sounds terrific with just the stock supply it ships with. Unlike other types of components—and due to the lengths we go to with its internal power networks—it responds only a very little to upgraded linear power supplies. (And I say that as someone who offers two excellent LPS models…;-)).
    Of course, there is a return option if you want to still experiment.
    Having done both approaches, using standard power supply that ships with EtherREGEN and using it with an UpTone LPS-1.2, I would generally agree on the whole with Alex Crespi. Using it with the LPS-1.2 in my system, it sounds a little bit better than with the stock power supply, but we're talking small percentages here and I'm not sure that that little bit better it sounds is concordant with the cost of an LPS-1.2. I tried it because I already had an LPS-1.2 on-hand. Again, UpTone has a great return policy, so you can try it and decide for yourself. Only the user can decide if the price of the LPS-1.2 for any improvement it might bring is a value proposition for them, or not. Again, everyone's network, power distribution system, power cables, etc is different, so its nearly impossible to make blanket statements covering all user's setups in all configurations. You'll have to try it and see.

In this I do not agree with Alex. In my experience with LPS 1.2 it sounds better than stock and with Farad Super 3, much better. For October I am waiting for Paul Hynes SR7 double rail (for EtherREGEN and Sonore OM) which I hope is even better.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Uptone EtherREGEN released Oct 8th