Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

USB Driver Problem

The USB driver for my MA9000's DAC keeps disappearing from my Windows 10 laptop. Usually, I can simply unplug the USB cable, or as a last resort, restart my computer, but nothing is working today. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Mc driver 3 times today, but it never shows up as an option in the Manage Audio Devices window. It does show up as an option in my JRiver MC program, but it's useless until Windows recognizes it. Any suggestions?
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Super Moderator

Re: USB Driver Problem

Have you been in contact with your dealer? Has McIntosh been made aware of the issue?

Do you have access to a Macintosh computer? I don’t think they need a driver.

Maybe McIntosh has a firmware update for the dac inside the MA9000.
    Last edited by joeinid; October 12, 2019 at 11:51 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

No, the problem started today (Saturday), so there's no tech support on the weekend. No access to a Mac. It all worked fine yesterday, so I'm pretty sure it's my laptop.
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Did you do the latest Windows update from a couple of days ago? If so it may have corrupted the Windows USB driver.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Did you do the latest Windows update from a couple of days ago? If so it may have corrupted the Windows USB driver.
    I think it did it automatically, as it had rebooted overnight. If that's the case, how do I uncorrupt the driver?

Go into the Device Manager and delete all the USB driver files and then do a restart. Windows will then re-install clean drivers and then re-install the Mc driver.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Go into the Device Manager and delete all the USB driver files and then do a restart. Windows will then re-install clean drivers and then re-install the Mc driver.
    Are these the right ones?

Yes

Since the USB ports read my Seagate external HD, could it still be the USB drivers?

The simplest solution is to play files from my drive through my Oppo 205's DAC and forget my laptop altogether!

"The simplest solution is to play files from my drive through my Oppo 205's DAC and forget my laptop altogether!
    "

That's what I do in my two home theatre rooms as the Oppo is a basic server, vs just a transport and Dac like the esoteric K series.

I just plug my 8 Tb Seagates to the Oppo205s USB drive inputs. I have about 2200 albums ranging from 44 to 192kh, Flac, Wav and Apple Lossless, and it plays them all direct from my USB Disk.

My 205s organizes music by album, genre, artist and does a pretty good job with artwork.

It does take a long time for the Oppo to read and catalogue the first time if you have a multi TB music library and it takes a while to scroll thru to find what you want to play.

My 105 did the same thing, but was quite a bit slower. 205 was a nice improvement in user interface speed as well as the sound improvement from the newer DAC chip.

Avantgarde Duo Mezzo,
    Nagra VPA 845 mono blocks, Audio Note UK Shinri 300B mono blocks, AudioPax KT88 monoblocks
    Conrad Johnson GAT, Zesto Tessera
    Esoteric K-01X, Esoteric N-01,

Clearaudio Innovation TT,
    Graham Phantom 2 Supreme Arm/Ortofon Anna, Bobs Sky 2 SUT
    Clearaudio Universal Arm/Benz LPS
    Minus K isolation platform

Galibier TT,
    Graham Phantom Elite Arm/Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement,

Kubala Elation Cabling, Shunyata Trident 3, Typhon QR
    Zoethecus stands,

I don't like the Oppo phone app, nor do I like having to have my TV on to navigate through the files--I much prefer my JRiver MC interface. I'm doing a System Restore at the moment to take my laptop back to when it was working. Fingers crossed!

If it is an option, the easiest thing for you to do is to go back to the previous version of Windows that was working for you. I believe that windows gives you that option.

I would suggest that you deactivate the automatic software update on all your devices If available. That allows you to install the updates manually only after the bugs have been ironed out.

I did a system restore (at a point before the updates) and reinstalled the DAC's driver--all is well now.

Super Moderator

Phew!!! Congratulations!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thank you!

I'm still getting a lot of dropouts, with both the Qobuz app and Audivrana Plus. The latter gets so bad that it skips to the next track! So, I ordered a MacBook Pro last week and it arrives today. After it's up and running, I'll report back.

Oops, I forgot to report back about my MacBook Pro--it's fantastic! No drivers, no dropouts, just gloriously clear sound. I wasn't expecting the audio to actually sound better, but it definitely sounds more transparent. Whatever was causing the dropouts and stuttering obviously affected the actual sound quality. The Qobuz Mac app works much better than the Windows version, and I really like Roon for playing hi-res files (On a free trial at the moment). Best of all, the MA900's DAC option doesn't constantly disappear from Qobuz, JRiver, or Roon. I'm ditching JRiver--Roon works and sounds better.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

USB Driver Problem