New Vintage
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: New Vintage

Post Thanks / Like

New Vintage

I have a soft spot for vintage speakers, particularly electrostatic. So I couldn't pass up the opportunity to purchase a restored pair of KLH Model Nines. J. Gordon Holt loved them: "This is the most nearly perfect loudspeaker we have ever heard, and we've heard every likely contender that's in commercial production. It does not favor some instruments over others, but seems to make everything sound almost perfectly natural." For any of you fellow vintage speaker lovers who have heard or owned them, do you have any amp recommendations? I heard tubes are best - and I have several amps to choose from - KT120, EL84, EL34, 300B and 845. I also thought they might sound good with my Pass Aleph 0 mono blocks. The speakers arrived yesterday; I'm convalescing from a hip replacement I had last week, so a friend is coming over tomorrow to hook them up. I'll report back. Thanks! Here's a photo, not of mine but for those who haven't seen them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Vintage

Very cool. Now you have to work your way up to Sound lab A-3s.
    Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Post Thanks / Like

These look very cool. Congratz on the find!
    Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2 | DAC: T+A DAC 8 DSD | Amplifier: T+A AMP 8 | Speakers: KEF R700; ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | Power: AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Furman Elite 15i | Digital: Falcon Northwest PC; Microsoft Surface; Roon & HQPlayer; W4S Recovery | CD/SACD: Oppo BDP-105 | Tuner: McIntosh MR7083 | Portable: Astell&Kern AK240; Audeze LCD-i4 | Car System: Burmester Audio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    These look very cool. Congratz on the find!
    Thanks Randy. They sound fantastic. They throw off more bass than my Quad 57s and literally throw off a wall of crystal clear sound. Not bad for late 1950’s technology. Arthur Janszen knew what he was doing!

Post Thanks / Like

I have only heard them one time. A young school teacher - audiophile organized a local show at the community college back in the late 1960's or early 70's. His name was Wendell Diller, now with Magnepan. That was also my first experience with the Tympany 1U speaker also. I bet a undated power supply with newer components would benefit the 9's. Enjoy
    Main System: Analog - Linn LP12, Origin Live DC motor and Controller, SME V arm, Benz Ruby H 2 cartridge, Wright Sound preamp. Digital - Intel NUC I-7, 16 gig ram, Jriver media center 24, Wyrd4 Sound 2V2 SE Dac, Fathom Hard Drives.
    H-Cat Version 9 preamp, ARC Reference 75 amp, Custom line source speakers - 10 SB Acoustics midwoofers, 10 Fountek ribbon tweeters. JL Audio Fathom f112 Subs
    Wire - T G Audio, Siltech, Audioquest, Teo, Lewis silver foil.