Cord Cutting Options
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cord Cutting Options

Iím thinking about getting rid of Directv. I find myself rarely watching TV, other than the news, and the NFL. Most of the shows I watch are on HBO & Showtime.. or on Netflix.

Iím trying YouTube TV for the Vikings game today. The resolution seems slightly better than my Directv feed.

Iím using an Apple TV 4K. Which has a better picture than the Nvidia Shield 4K it replaces.

Any thoughts, or experiences anyone can share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 28b3s, Bryston 4b3, Bryston 9bsst2
    Digital: EMM NS1, EMM DA2
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c, Kef Ci200RR-THX (surround/back)
    Subs: Two JL Audio F212v2
    Power: PS Audio PS10, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks
    Video: Oppo 203, LG 65inch OLED
    -Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cord Cutting Options

The cable providers have a tendency to bundle their services. For example, Verizon gives you a "triple play": phone, internet, and cable for a bundled price. The thing is that if you only want one or two of those services, they change the price so that you end up saving very little.
    In my particular case, internet speed drives my selection. I don't care for cable but I do care about streaming (Netflix, AppleTV, Amazon, etc.) and for that the faster internet speed the better.
    I had DirectTV years ago,but as soon as FIOS internet became available in my area, I cancelled.
    The only one thing that I use cable for is for recording certain shows that I can watch later. However, many channels now allow you to stream those shows provided that... You have a cable account. Go figure!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    I’m thinking about getting rid of Directv. I find myself rarely watching TV, other than the news, and the NFL. Most of the shows I watch are on HBO & Showtime.. or on Netflix.

I’m trying YouTube TV for the Vikings game today. The resolution seems slightly better than my Directv feed.

I’m using an Apple TV 4K. Which has a better picture than the Nvidia Shield 4K it replaces.

Any thoughts, or experiences anyone can share?

I got rid of Directv as well. I auditioned Hulu, Sling, Atnt, and YouTube TV. Selected YouTube TV. Has all the local channels and enough of a variety of other channels to keep me interested. Also got the basic Hulu package, so for 60.00 a month between YouTube TV and Hulu I have my basic video needs met. Also have Netflix and Prime, so am good to go for the foreseeable future. I use ROKU to control my various streaming options.

Cheers....
    INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: OWNER/PRESIDENT OF
    QUINTESSENCE ACOUSTICS
    www.quintessenceacoustics.com

Post Thanks / Like

i'm a sports junkie, got to have them all, so i have to be wired. just the way it is....at this point in time.

otherwise it would be an easy move to cut the cord. on line + 4K discs have all the other content i need. don't watch commercial TV at all other than sports.

Post Thanks / Like

In a metro area you can get all your local channels and a host of other digital channels with an antenna. (reception may vary)

HBO has their own streaming service, not sure where to subscribe.

I haven't cut the cord yet, although I rarely watch TV, prefer my audio rig. I'd be satisfied with an antenna so I can watch the news. My wife likes the DVR thing. I know there's probably options for that, but, creatures of habit. I do have at least 100 mbps but the less draw on that the better since I'm sometimes streaming music
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

6. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish it was broken up into channels. I donít need packages.

Local News and Weather
    National and World News and Weather
    NFL, MLB, NBA
    NetFlix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan DíAgostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45ís
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Keces P3 & P8 | Furutech GTX D NSF package | Dedicated 20 amp with Surge Guard | ADD POWR series
    Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Glšss

Post Thanks / Like

I was just thinking of this earlier. I pay Comcast $140/month (Internet and TV), while rarely watching TV. Now that I am retired I am getting into the Ďevery penny countsí mode of thinking.
    Bud

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Post Thanks / Like

We canceled our directv yesterday. I hooked up a Apple TV 4K on each of my TVs. Subscribed to YouTube TV for $50 a month. Also signed up for HBO Now and Showtime Anytime. Total cost is $75 a month. I already have Netflix and Prime, so I was spending that already.

It has all of my local channels, and everything I like to watch. The interface is great, far better than directv. My wife and I think the picture quality is better as well.

Super easy to set up after the first TV. Just kept my iPad next to the Apple TV on the other setups and it mirrors the settings and apps of the first one.

Canít believe I didnít do this sooner. Better all around and Iíll save $800 a year.

Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 28b3s, Bryston 4b3, Bryston 9bsst2
    Digital: EMM NS1, EMM DA2
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c, Kef Ci200RR-THX (surround/back)
    Subs: Two JL Audio F212v2
    Power: PS Audio PS10, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks
    Video: Oppo 203, LG 65inch OLED
    -Kyle

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    We canceled our directv yesterday. I hooked up a Apple TV 4K on each of my TVs. Subscribed to YouTube TV for $50 a month. Also signed up for HBO Now and Showtime Anytime. Total cost is $75 a month. I already have Netflix and Prime, so I was spending that already.

It has all of my local channels, and everything I like to watch. The interface is great, far better than directv. My wife and I think the picture quality is better as well.

Super easy to set up after the first TV. Just kept my iPad next to the Apple TV on the other setups and it mirrors the settings and apps of the first one.

Canít believe I didnít do this sooner. Better all around and Iíll save $800 a year.

The Apple TV has local channels?

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones & Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The Apple TV has local channels?

I believe the You Tube subscription gives you all the local channels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast