Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Denalli and Triton V3 Owners: Use your Shunyata CGS binding post!

I'm sure the Denali V1/V2 and Triton V3 owners here have noticed there is a grounding post on the back of their unit.

This grounding post provides functionality for the Shunyata CGS feature (Chassis Grounding System)

From Shunayta Research for the system utilized on Triton V3:
    The TRITON v3 has an internal ground-buss noise reduction system that uses patented NIC™ technology. CGS (Chassis Ground System) is a feature that provides a common grounding point for all components in the system and extends the noise reduction capability of the TRITON to components external to the TRITON. This eliminates AC voltage differences between component chassis’ and may help to reduce potential ground loops.

METHODS & MATERIALS
    Depicted is a photo of the ground strap I made up using an RCA plug with screw terminals at the other end; I simply connected a 14 AWG silicone-insulated copper wire to the (-)-terminal only. I ran the ground strap from an unused RCA jack on the pre-amp to the CGS ground post on Denali V2.

RESULTS:
    VERY pleasantly surprised and rather floored at the degree of improvement that is obtained running a ground cable from the preamp to Denali's CGS ground post makes.

I thought I was getting pretty much all there was to get from Denali V2 but...Noooo.

There is a notably lower noise floor and improved presentation overall for the preamp. So much so that at the same exact volume setting, my C-J CT-5 actually sounds louder. I also noted a significant improvement in the stereo image and a notably more natural and organic presentation. Really, really lovely.

I am going to put one on an unused RCA jack on my Gumby DAC tomorrow.

BIG improvement, and very highly recommended for your Denali or Triton V3.

If you want to go whole hog, you can buy beautiful Venom, Delta, Alpha or Sigma Shyunyata CGC/SGC cables in various terminations and lengths from your friendly Shunyata dealer (i.e., Mike ).

https://shunyata.com/products/ground.../venom-cgcsgc/

photo copyright Shunyata Research

If any of you Triton V3 or Denali owners haven't done this yet...DO IT!

Re: Denalli and Triton V3 Owners: Use your Shunyata CGS binding post!

I've been listening to a loaner pair of Synergistic Research's Atmosphere X Excite ICs. These have a ground plane wire from each cable, which seems a little Rube Goldberg, but I have to say, these cables are really quiet. Using them without and then with the ground wires connected has a significant positive effect. I'm wondering if what's going on here, what you describe, and what Nordost QKore does are similar solutions to the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    I've been listening to a loaner pair of Synergistic Research's Atmosphere X Excite ICs. These have a ground plane wire from each cable, which seems a little Rube Goldberg, but I have to say, these cables are really quiet. Using them without and then with the ground wires connected has a significant positive effect. I'm wondering if what's going on here, what you describe, and what Nordost QKore does are similar solutions to the same problem.
    Yes. The Shunyata CGS, Nordost QKore and Entreq Ground Boxes are all effectively doing the same thing. Its just a nice bonus that Triton V3 and Denalis have one that can be also used.

Hi Puma

I have a CJ GAT and havnt tried the CGS ground yet in my Trident 3. i did try it from the ground post of my Nagra VPAs and it didn't make any difference.

Hadnt thought of using a neg RCA jack for the GAT.
    Is it better than using a spade connected to one of the chassis screws (assuming the chassis screw is grounded)?
    Avantgarde Duo Mezzo,
    Nagra VPA 845 mono blocks, Audio Note UK Shinri 300B mono blocks, AudioPax KT88 monoblocks
    Conrad Johnson GAT, Zesto Tessera
    Esoteric K-01X, Esoteric N-01,

Clearaudio Innovation TT,
    Graham Phantom 2 Supreme Arm/Ortofon Anna, Bobs Sky 2 SUT
    Clearaudio Universal Arm/Benz LPS
    Minus K isolation platform

Galibier TT,
    Graham Phantom Elite Arm/Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement,

Kubala Elation Cabling, Shunyata Trident 3, Typhon QR
    Zoethecus stands,

Quote Originally Posted by mallen123 View Post
    Hi Puma

I have a CJ GAT and havnt tried the CGS ground yet in my Trident 3. i did try it from the ground post of my Nagra VPAs and it didn't make any difference.

Hadnt thought of using a neg RCA jack for the GAT.
    Is it better than using a spade connected to one of the chassis screws (assuming the chassis screw is grounded)?
    I don't know...try it both ways and see! Report back and we can all learn from your experiment,

I did a bit more research this morning now that it's Monday and both CJ and Shunyata are open. I spoke with Jeff at CJ and Richard at Shunyata

Per Richard at Shunyata-
    CGS is designed for providing common chassis ground to components not already plugged into Denali/Trident.
    Ex - amps plugged directly in to the wall where the rest of the components are plugged in to the Trident.
    If they are already plugged in to a Trident, then they are already on the same ground as the chassis ground so there is no benefit. He said the negative RCA plug is a signal ground and he didn't think it was a good idea to tie them to a chassis ground

Per Jeff - The RCA is a signal ground and connected to the circuit ground which is a different level than the pre amps chassis ground for all their Pre Amps. He didn't recommend connecting to chassis ground plug of the Trident as that would basically be connecting the GAT circuit ground to it's chassis ground, and might cause hum.

As all my components are plugged directly into the Trident, it would appear connecting their chassis grounds to the CGS wouldn't make a difference me based on Shunyata's advice.

For grins, i tried my Nagra VPA amps chassis ground posts to the CGS and it didn't change anything.

My ground screw on the GAT pre amp was frozen, so i didn't try that.

I did try the GAT RCA neg input to the CGS and as Jeff predicted, I got hum.

So not sure how it improved your system, but as they say, YMMV.
    Avantgarde Duo Mezzo,
    Nagra VPA 845 mono blocks, Audio Note UK Shinri 300B mono blocks, AudioPax KT88 monoblocks

Galibier TT,

Zoethecus stands,

Quote Originally Posted by mallen123 View Post
    I did a bit more research this morning now that it's Monday and both CJ and Shunyata are open. I spoke with Jeff at CJ and Richard at Shunyata

Per Richard at Shunyata-
    CGS is designed for providing common chassis ground to components not already plugged into Denali/Trident.
    Ex - amps plugged directly in to the wall where the rest of the components are plugged in to the Trident.
    If they are already plugged in to a Trident, then they are already on the same ground as the chassis ground so there is no benefit. He said the negative RCA plug is a signal ground and he didn't think it was a good idea to tie them to a chassis ground

>>> Yes

Per Jeff - The RCA is a signal ground and connected to the circuit ground which is a different level than the pre amps chassis ground for all their Pre Amps. He didn't recommend connecting to chassis ground plug of the Trident as that would basically be connecting the GAT circuit ground to it's chassis ground, and might cause hum.

>>> Ground loop

As all my components are plugged directly into the Trident, it would appear connecting their chassis grounds to the CGS wouldn't make a difference me based on Shunyata's advice.

For grins, i tried my Nagra VPA amps chassis ground posts to the CGS and it didn't change anything.

My ground screw on the GAT pre amp was frozen, so i didn't try that.

I did try the GAT RCA neg input to the CGS and as Jeff predicted, I got hum.

So not sure how it improved your system, but as they say, YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

The Shunyata explanation is interesting. Which I understand to mean, if my digital front end is all plugged into TRITON V3 power, but my power amps are not, only the power amps get connected to the TRITON V3 CGS ground posts. The digital front end components don't get connected to the CGS ground posts.

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    The Shunyata explanation is interesting. Which I understand to mean, if my digital front end is all plugged into TRITON V3 power, but my power amps are not, only the power amps get connected to the TRITON V3 CGS ground posts. The digital front end components don't get connected to the CGS ground posts.
    Yes. Components plugged directly in to the Triton 3 are already connected to the CGS internally.
    Avantgarde Duo Mezzo,

Galibier TT,

Zoethecus stands,

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Denalli and Triton V3 Owners: Use your Shunyata CGS binding post!