Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Home demo speaker shoot out - AG Uno XD vs. Lansche 4.2

Finally I get to hear the AG Uno XDs in my own system, have been waiting for this for a while. This home demo comes with a twist, they are going to be compared to Lansche 4.2 speakers.

The Uno XDs:

Specs:
    107 dB efficiency
    18 Ohm drivers with double-ferrite magnets
    500 mm spherical midrange horn
    CDC system w/o passive filter
    100 V CPC crossover design
    subwoofer with DSP control
    2 x 10 inch bass drivers
    1000 W bass amplifier

Very nice immediacy to the sound, full bass (can be adjusted), great imaging. Only turn-side is a slight nasalness and slight mid range coloration.

That said, while I liked my Magico S3 mk2s (which I sold last week), lately I started to perceive their sound as being slightly flat. Horns to the rescue, the AGs delivered thereness and immediacy in abundance. I think regular box speakers offer little to compete with against horns in this respect.

Second contender Lansche 4.2

Specs:
    Semi-active loudspeaker
    2,5-way closed design with integrated subwoofers
    Tweeter 1 x 8 mm CORONA Ion-tweeter
    Mid range 1 x 20 cm coated paper
    Bass 2 x 26 cm aluminum woofers
    Cross-over freq 2.5 kHz
    Impedance 8 Ω (minimum 6.2 Ω)
    Efficiency 94 dB / 1 W / 1 m
    Freq range 15 Hz - 150 kHz ±3 dB
    Size 112 x 29 x 51 (HxWxD)
    Weight 70 kg
    Sub amp 1,200 Watt (Power Output)

Similar, but improved immediacy to the sound through the Corona horn as the AG, but significantly better imaging, kind of floating sound, very detailed by smooth. Adjustable bass, easy to fit taste and room requirements. As only the Ion tweeter is horn loaded, no nasalness or coloration.

In my humble view, delivering a great combination of horns and cone drivers. Imaging is surreal.

One of the two is going to be my next main system speaker. Maybe not an entirely fair comparison, as the AG Uno XD retails for 23K in Europe, while the Lansche 4.2 will set you back 46K Europeans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

What I can say after comparing them for a while:

- the Lansche Corona tweeter is definitely way superior to the AG horns. Have really not heard a better tweeter ever. It has similarities with the MBL immersive sound, which I find spectacular.
    - I think this is a personal preference, but for me the Seas aluminum woofer drivers in the Lansches way outperform the AG paper woofers in terms of bass definition. Coming from Magicos I do need good definition in the bass.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: Home demo speaker shoot out - AG Uno XD vs. Lansche 4.2

Wow, a big surprise, at least to me. I’m glad to hear you are already close to finding what you want. Best of luck. Looking forward to more of your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

I'm not familiar with Lansche. I wonder how the passive Sadurni would fair in that shoot out. I also like what I've heard from Volti.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Price difference somewhat offset by better Soulution/Lansche compatibility. If you went AG you’d likely end up preferring different amplification.
    Parker

Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    Price difference somewhat offset by better Soulution/Lansche compatibility. If you went AG you’d likely end up preferring different amplification.
    Parker
    I have heard a lot of statements claiming that AG require tube amplification to sound their best. However, their own amplification designed for use with the speakers is solid state.

The Lansches are also predestined for use with tube amps, due to the active bass unit and relatively high sensitivity of 93 db (which is however of course less than the AGs 107 db).

Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I'm not familiar with Lansche. I wonder how the passive Sadurni would fair in that shoot out. I also like what I've heard from Volti.
    Lansche is not very well known outside Germany, and the larger models mostly sell in Asia.

Interesting review and no doubt the Lansches would be better than Unos which is AV's entry level horn speaker.

Couple of thoughts to consider:

1. AV's SS amplication is low power and their amps aren't a common choice of most Duo/Trio Owners.

2. AVs generally don't sound as good with high power SS as they do with low power SS (Pass, FW etc) or very high quality low to medium power tube amps. Your Soulution is a great amp, but as Parker noted, it may not the best match for an AV horn speaker.

3. In the 46K Euro Lansche price range, you could get the Duo XD. The larger midrange horn significantly cuts down on nasal ness as well as blends bass and mid range better. If you had the Duo with dual 12 sub (not the Basshorn)it would greatly outperform the Uno XD 10 bass and midrange

The Lansche Plasma tweeter may still beat than the AV Duo tweeter, given its hard to be faster than Plasma, but I think a Duo XD comparison with better matching amplification would more apples to apples.

That said, I can understand going with the Lansche, as amps designed for Avantgarde tend to lock you into 98db plus speakers.

Best of luck with your new speakers what ever you buy and thanks for the review. Let us know what tube amps you end up getting.
    Avantgarde Duo Mezzo,
    Nagra VPA 845 mono blocks, Audio Note UK Shinri 300B mono blocks, AudioPax KT88 monoblocks
    Conrad Johnson GAT, Zesto Tessera
    Esoteric K-01X, Esoteric N-01,

Clearaudio Innovation TT,
    Graham Phantom 2 Supreme Arm/Ortofon Anna, Bobs Sky 2 SUT
    Clearaudio Universal Arm/Benz LPS
    Minus K isolation platform

Galibier TT,
    Graham Phantom Elite Arm/Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement,

Kubala Elation Cabling, Shunyata Trident 3, Typhon QR
    Zoethecus stands,

This was not meant as a good vs. bad comparison Home demo speaker shoot out - AG Uno XD vs. Lansche 4.2. I think both speakers are great. Price-wise even the AG Mezzo would come closest to the Lansches, the delta to the AG Uno is almost 50%.

And it was not much of a test, as there were no detailed comparisons. It was just to see which one fits better for my current use case and my listening space.

The most significant difference is the Plasma tweeter, which is just very special. Both, technology and sound wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    This was not meant as a good vs. bad comparison Home demo speaker shoot out - AG Uno XD vs. Lansche 4.2. I think both speakers are great. Price-wise even the AG Mezzo would come closest to the Lansches, the delta to the AG Uno is almost 50%.

And it was not much of a test, as there were no detailed comparisons. It was just to see which one fits better for my current use case and my listening space.

The most significant difference is the Plasma tweeter, which is just very special. Both, technology and sound wise.

How would compare Plasma tweeter to the Magico?

In terms of treble resolution. I've never heard Lansce so, curious.

Magico's flagship tweeter is the best I've personally heard.

No doubt on the Plasma tweeter. And the Lansches look like the have a smaller footprint, especially compared to Duo Mezzo HD.

Surprised however at your comment on Duo Mezzo being similar price to the 46K euro Lansches. What's the Euro retail these days for the Duo Mezzo HD?
    Avantgarde Duo Mezzo,
    Nagra VPA 845 mono blocks, Audio Note UK Shinri 300B mono blocks, AudioPax KT88 monoblocks
    Conrad Johnson GAT, Zesto Tessera
    Esoteric K-01X, Esoteric N-01,

Clearaudio Innovation TT,
    Graham Phantom 2 Supreme Arm/Ortofon Anna, Bobs Sky 2 SUT
    Clearaudio Universal Arm/Benz LPS
    Minus K isolation platform

Galibier TT,
    Graham Phantom Elite Arm/Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement,

Kubala Elation Cabling, Shunyata Trident 3, Typhon QR
    Zoethecus stands,

Quote Originally Posted by mallen123 View Post
    No doubt on the Plasma tweeter. And the Lansches look like the have a smaller footprint, especially compared to Duo Mezzo HD.

Surprised however at your comment on Duo Mezzo being similar price to the 46K euro Lansches. What's the Euro retail these days for the Duo Mezzo HD?
    About the same. I know in the US that’s Duo price range.

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    How would compare Plasma tweeter to the Magico?

In terms of treble resolution. I've never heard Lansce so, curious.

Magico's flagship tweeter is the best I've personally heard.
    I have owned three pairs of Magicos, so I like their tweeters. My latest S3 mk2 had the diamond coated variety.

However, in terms of resolution, smoothness, frequency range, layering, and presentation the Plasma tweeter is just way better. Imaging and sound-staging is just surreal. It is so much better you cannot even compare. Different league altogether. And the Magico tweeters are really good compared to the rest.

Finally I get to hear the AG Uno XDs in my own system, have been waiting for this for a while. This home demo comes with a twist, they are going to be compared to Lansche 4.2 speakers.

The Uno XDs:

Specs:
    107 dB efficiency
    18 Ohm drivers with double-ferrite magnets
    500 mm spherical midrange horn
    CDC system w/o passive filter
    100 V CPC crossover design
    subwoofer with DSP control
    2 x 10 inch bass drivers
    1000 W bass amplifier

Very nice immediacy to the sound, full bass (can be adjusted), great imaging. Only turn-side is a slight nasalness and slight mid range coloration.

That said, while I liked my Magico S3 mk2s (which I sold last week), lately I started to perceive their sound as being slightly flat. Horns to the rescue, the AGs delivered thereness and immediacy in abundance. I think regular box speakers offer little to compete with against horns in this respect.

Second contender Lansche 4.2

Specs:
    Semi-active loudspeaker
    2,5-way closed design with integrated subwoofers
    Tweeter 1 x 8 mm CORONA Ion-tweeter
    Mid range 1 x 20 cm coated paper
    Bass 2 x 26 cm aluminum woofers
    Cross-over freq 2.5 kHz
    Impedance 8 Ω (minimum 6.2 Ω)
    Efficiency 94 dB / 1 W / 1 m
    Freq range 15 Hz - 150 kHz ±3 dB
    Size 112 x 29 x 51 (HxWxD)
    Weight 70 kg
    Sub amp 1,200 Watt (Power Output)

Similar, but improved immediacy to the sound through the Corona horn as the AG, but significantly better imaging, kind of floating sound, very detailed by smooth. Adjustable bass, easy to fit taste and room requirements. As only the Ion tweeter is horn loaded, no nasalness or coloration.

In my humble view, delivering a great combination of horns and cone drivers. Imaging is surreal.

One of the two is going to be my next main system speaker. Maybe not an entirely fair comparison, as the AG Uno XD retails for 23K in Europe, while the Lansche 4.2 will set you back 46K Europeans.

What are your room dimensions?

Between 20-25 sqm.

Wow

I have owned three pairs of Magicos, so I like their tweeters. My latest S3 mk2 had the diamond coated variety.

However, in terms of resolution, smoothness, frequency range, layering, and presentation the Plasma tweeter is just way better. It is so much better you cannot even compare. Different league altogether. And the Magico tweeters are really good compared to the rest.

Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Audioshark

Kuoppis - I enjoyed your write up. Thanks you. The question I would have about the amazing plasma tweeter, was how well does it integrate with the rest of the speaker? Is it as seamless? Maybe longer term listening is required? I’ve heard Lansche many times. Just an observation of something I would encourage you to listen for.

For the AG’s, you really want to go Duo XD or above. The Uno XD to Duo XD is the biggest jump in the entire lineup. The Mezzo adds a more seamless bass. But definitely Duo XD/Duo Mezzo XD is a must home audition if you can.

If I may make a suggestion, keep auditioning. Although the Duo/Duo Mezzo XD or Lansche may be your ultimate choice, if you can keep demoing, I would recommend it. In Europe, you have some incredible brands you can try: MBL, Estelon, Vivid, Stenheim, Tidal, etc. and of course, looking at that space, a pair of Magico M2’s may fit in nicely IMO.

I hope you’re able to get a few more auditions - specially the Duo XD’s/Duo Mezzo XD’s and keep us posted on your journey.

We can agree on one thing, the tight, detailed, defined bass of Magico’s does spoil you! M2’s to the rescue?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

What I can say after comparing them for a while:

- the Lansche Corona tweeter is definitely way superior to the AG horns. Have really not heard a better tweeter ever. It has similarities with the MBL immersive sound, which I find spectacular.

Enjoyed the write-up.Home demo speaker shoot out - AG Uno XD vs. Lansche 4.2

Would you be able to elaborate on the similarities with the MBL sound?

Hi Mike, I think the Plasma tweeter integrates the best in Lansche’s 2,5-way concepts, i.e. the 3.1/3.2 and the 4.2. Bi-amping is also essential to achieve that, as in the semi-active 4.2, or with separate sub amps as Lansche showed at the German trade show last week. I find coherence more of a challenge in their 3-way and D’Appolito arrangements.

Regarding AGs, I agree the Unos are not Duos Home demo speaker shoot out - AG Uno XD vs. Lansche 4.2. Duos are however too large for my current listening space. The sales rep thought I would need at least 12-15 ft between listener and speaker.

I was looking at M2s, but decided I’ve been long enough a Magico fanboy and would like to try something else. Maybe there are MBLs somewhere in my future at some point. But currently I cannot get enough of the Lansches. They are transporting so much more of the musical experience.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoludio View Post
    Enjoyed the write-up.Home demo speaker shoot out - AG Uno XD vs. Lansche 4.2

Would you be able to elaborate on the similarities with the MBL sound?
    Immersive sound, very wide soundstage come to mind.

You probably want a SS amp without negative feedback for AG...
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

I listen to the Lanche audio at a friends place here in Washington. They are a darn stunning speaker. He had a lot going on in his system as well as room correction. What I can say is that was is the second of only 2 speakers that have ever made me emotionally tear up when listening. The plasma Tweeter is an incredible experience. It has far better sound staging than do my pure audio project Trio 15 horns. My horns are nice and they are quick, but they don't have near the detail and overall resolution as the Lanche. I almost bought a used set from Spain but I ultimately balked being concerned over having the Tweeter recharged here in the USA. I have a dealer I buy from who carries the Lanche brand, he likes the speaker very much but pushes me towards Joseph Audio as it's American-made and works well for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    I listen to the Lanche audio at a friends place here in Washington. They are a darn stunning speaker. He had a lot going on in his system as well as room correction. What I can say is that was is the second of only 2 speakers that have ever made me emotionally tear up when listening. The plasma Tweeter is an incredible experience. It has far better sound staging than do my pure audio project Trio 15 horns. My horns are nice and they are quick, but they don't have near the detail and overall resolution as the Lanche. I almost bought a used set from Spain but I ultimately balked being concerned over having the Tweeter recharged here in the USA. I have a dealer I buy from who carries the Lanche brand, he likes the speaker very much but pushes me towards Joseph Audio as it's American-made and works well for the money.
    Thank you sharing you experiences, very interesting to hear you have a dealer who carries Lansche.

I do share your views. My experience is as well the Plasma tweeter is something different altogether. It creates this kind of sound layer with a tremendous amount musical information, and in a very natural way. But Joseph Audio is also very impressive, so I guess you can’t go wrong with either.

And, as a matter of fact, I was also concerned about the Corona maintenance. But after I was told the service interval is 5-7 K hours, I was not worried. That would mean over five years with my kind of listening habits. Also, a friend of mine, who had the previous model, said it is very easy to take the tweeter out and send it in.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team