What did you do this weekend - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do this weekend

October 5th I spent the day auditioning 7 different amps at Suncoast Audio. Had the time of my life. Both Mikes were wonderful. Mike B. even took me out and fed me a wonderful lunch. It took me the entire day to decide on an amp because they ALL sounded sublime. What a high?!! Out of a Simaudio 340xi, Naim Supernait 3, VAC 170i, Luxman 509x, Pass int 60, Hegel H390, and Gryphon Diablo 300, I picked the D300. The Pass int 60 was a very close second. I was surprised at how great it sounded. Same with the NAIM Supernait 3 and Hegel H390. Oh yeah, and the VAC 170i and Luxman 509x...see what I mean? They all just sounded soooooo good. But, man, was it fun?! Wonderful experience. Thanks so much Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    October 5th I spent the day auditioning 7 different amps at Suncoast Audio. Had the time of my life. Both Mikes were wonderful. Mike B. even took me out and fed me a wonderful lunch. It took me the entire day to decide on an amp because they ALL sounded sublime. What a high?!! Out of a Simaudio 340xi, Naim Supernait 3, VAC 170i, Luxman 509x, Pass int 60, Hegel H390, and Gryphon Diablo 300, I picked the D300. The Pass int 60 was a very close second. I was surprised at how great it sounded. Same with the NAIM Supernait 3 and Hegel H390. Oh yeah, and the VAC 170i and Luxman 509x...see what I mean? They all just sounded soooooo good. But, man, was it fun?! Wonderful experience. Thanks so much Mike.
    What music do you listen too most. What speakers are you pairing the amp with? Thanks
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    What music do you listen too most. What speakers are you pairing the amp with? Thanks

Bluegrass mostly, then small combo jazz. My speakers are Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Models. Outstanding synergy between those speakers and the D300.

Post Thanks / Like

What did you like about the piece you selected. Why the Gryphon.

Post Thanks / Like

Kingrex Rex came over and listened to some music, flirted with my wife then finally picked up an ADD-POWR Everclear off the table to add to his collection and left only to be texted later saying great things about his sound.
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45’s
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Keces P3 & P8 | Furutech GTX D NSF package | Dedicated 20 amp with Surge Guard | ADD POWR series
    Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Gläss

Post Thanks / Like

Well, bit of a twist is what I'm doing this weekend, rather than done. The Suncoast Audio Society (SAS) is having our monthly meet in Gulfport/St Petersburg. On deck is a live music performance by cellist Carlos Audi (Brazil) and Adam Booher on piano (using the hosts Steinway baby grand).
    The performance will be digitally and analog (reel>reel) recorded. https://www.meetup.com/Suncoast-Audi...nts/264261763/
    Afterwards, we will play back the recordings on hosts dedicated audio room/system downstairs - Einstein/Hegel/Hot-rodded Quad ESL 63/Gradient dipole subwoofers.
    Should be fun.

cheers,

AJ

7. Likes CPP, UltraFast69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    What did you like about the piece you selected. Why the Gryphon.

Oh boy...not sure I can put it into words. But here goes...crystal clear, cleeeeean, natural, perfectly balanced frequency spectrum, just the right mix of openness vs warmness; tight, focused, clean bass, just the right amount of bass, biiiiiiiig, deep, sound stage, all instruments and vocals are very discrete across the sound stage, you can close your eyes and know exactly where each musician is standing on the stage, D300 has everything you want/need and nothing you don't. Chocolate ice cream with strawberries. There. How's that?

Post Thanks / Like

Just superb music. Didn't know beforehand, both musicians are professors of music at local colleges. May be seeing them again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Likes Mechnutt liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a blast to AJ. Fabulous event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones & Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Lake Street Dive show Saturday...Rachel Price can sing, what a voice!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast