Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Lumin Network Transport

Does Lumin have any plans to release a transport only model that features fiber and ethernet connection, like the X1? The U1 has only ethernet connectivity.

Re: Lumin Network Transport

As far as I know, there wont be such transport from LUMIN round the corner. But I can tell you that the performance of the X1 as a transport exceeds the U1, An U1 with the X1 power supply is also a very interesting combo.

LUMIN / WestminsterLab

Thanks for your reply, Iscangus. Has anyone compared the transport section of the X1 to the Bryston BDP-3 or the Auralic Aries G2?

I have... without using the “audiophile” nonsense the Lumin is a much more natural sounding transport. The Lumin app is miles ahead of Brystons interface.

I owned the Aries G2 sold it and bought the U1. I'm glad I did.

Thanks for giving your opinions. I am currently using the transport section of the Lumin X1 into a Bryston BDA-3 DAC connected via the USB output of the Lumin. I use the optical fiber and not the ethernet connection to the Lumin. Also running Roon with the Nucleus Plus as my Roon core. The sound is excellent.

Since I have the Bryston DAC I was wondering if there was some kind of synergy with the Bryston digital players. I guess not....

Why not use the X1 DAC instead of the Bryston DAC? You will eliminate the interconnect and power cable to the DAC.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

The internal DAC of the X1 is excellent sounding. But the Lumin allows no digital input to connect to it. I use the Bryston DAC to stream the classical music sites Idagio and Primephonic. I can Airplay these to the Lumin but I experience intermittent dropouts and pauses in the music. Also the Bryston allows me to connect my CD player or CD transport to it as well.

Okay. Thanks.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

In that case simply sell the the X1 and buy a U1 mini. I dont see why you have a $14K player feeding into a $3800 DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    In that case simply sell the the X1 and buy a U1 mini. I dont see why you have a $14K player feeding into a $3800 DAC.
    I say the same

dznutz and Andik777, I have thought about doing that. But it doesn't make sense for a few reasons. That is why I was asking about other transports such as the Bryston digital player and the Auralic. The consensus is that the X1 is better. And even Iscangus says that the X1 transport is better than the U1.

The transport is the foundation of your digital streaming . The analogy is the Linn philosophy of turntable first. You are suggesting that I sell the superior X1 and downgrade? If you were telling me to get the superb Extreme server, all 100 pounds of it and over 26K, then I would understand. And the Bryston DAC is excellent sounding as well, especially paired with the X1.

The economics also doesn't make sense. The 14K X1 would sell for only a fraction on the used market. I would then have to buy another transport. That would leave me with an inferior transport with very little cash left over.

The transport matters but the DAC matters more. I cant argue with your logic either.

Also, keeping the X1, I always have the option to upgrade the DAC. But I'm very happy with the Bryston for the present.

Does the DAC matter more than the transport? My friend with the Extreme Server says the opposite. He claims that any DAC he uses with the Extreme sounds good.

Both the Lumin X1 and the Extreme use fiber connectivity. Coincidence?

And while we are discussing transports has any one done any comparisons with the highly regarded Innuos Statement?

Quote Originally Posted by audiobear View Post
    The internal DAC of the X1 is excellent sounding. But the Lumin allows no digital input to connect to it. I use the Bryston DAC to stream the classical music sites Idagio and Primephonic. I can Airplay these to the Lumin but I experience intermittent dropouts and pauses in the music. Also the Bryston allows me to connect my CD player or CD transport to it as well.
    @audiobear
    Sorry for this hijack, but I am very interested in your comment about streaming Idagio via Bryston without using Airplay. I did not think that possible without a Sonus piece of hardware.

How do you do it? I too have had dropouts with Airplay while streaming Idagio.
    Lumin A1
    Pre Amps: Mini DSP SHD, Threshold NS-10 (Recapped)
    Amps: Modwright KWA150SE, Threshold 400A (Recapped)
    NAS: Synology DS1513+
    Turntable: VPI HW19 MKIV DVxx2mkII Moerch arm VPI SDS

Here is how I stream Idagio and Primephonic into the Bryston DAC. This also works for youtube, etc.

I use the Idagio and Primephonic apps for my ipad. Connect an Apple Lightning to USB adaptor to your ipad. Then use a USB cable from the ipad to the Bryston USB input. Works perfectly with no dropouts at all. Sound quality is OK but not as good as streaming classical from Qobuz. But Qobuz has a very limted selection. You can find almost any performance you want from the 2 dedicated classical streaming sites. Idagio is limited to 16/44 whereas Primephonic has (very few) higher resolution recordings. Airplay, other than the dropout problem, is limited to only 16/44.

Hope this helps, rodrigaj.

Quote Originally Posted by lscangus View Post
    As far as I know, there wont be such transport from LUMIN round the corner. But I can tell you that the performance of the X1 as a transport exceeds the U1, An U1 with the X1 power supply is also a very interesting combo.
    Hi, I am new in this forum, this being my first post. I replaced my Bryston BDP-2 with the U1 and haven’t looked back since. I am quite curious to know if there is any performance enhancement using the X1 power supply to feed the U1?
    thanks
    sujay

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Sujay View Post
    Hi, I am new in this forum, this being my first post. I replaced my Bryston BDP-2 with the U1 and haven’t looked back since. I am quite curious to know if there is any performance enhancement using the X1 power supply to feed the U1?
    thanks
    sujay
    Can’t answer your question as I never had a U1. However, I upgraded the S1 with an X1 power supply, and it was a big improvement. I went a couple of months before getting the X1.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    How do you do it? I too have had dropouts with Airplay while streaming Idagio.
    If you're having audio dropouts using AirPlay, it's usually due to either less than ideal network conditions (e.g. slower Wi-Fi, or too much competing network activity) or a slower transmitter like an old computer. Assuming no bugs or other issues in the hardware or software involved.

Quote Originally Posted by audiobear View Post
    Does the DAC matter more than the transport?
    In terms of sound character and quality, the DAC should make a much bigger difference than the transport, as long as the transport is not outputting incorrect data.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Thanks, Joe. Appreciate. I have followed your journey closely on the WBF. I still have the 911 monos though and love them 😀

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Can’t answer your question as I never had a U1. However, I upgraded the S1 with an X1 power supply, and it was a big improvement. I went a couple of months before getting the X1.
    Thanks, Bud. Any specific areas that benefited from the upgrade. It’s quite a tidy sum ie the new power supply. So I am trying to learn from the experience of others before plunging into it

Quote Originally Posted by NekoAudio View Post
    If you're having audio dropouts using AirPlay, it's usually due to either less than ideal network conditions (e.g. slower Wi-Fi, or too much competing network activity) or a slower transmitter like an old computer. Assuming no bugs or other issues in the hardware or software involved.

In terms of sound character and quality, the DAC should make a much bigger difference than the transport, as long as the transport is not outputting incorrect data.
    I agree on both counts.
    The dropouts I experienced with airplay were too infrequent and too short lived to do any kind of trouble shooting. I gave up my Idagio subscription after 8 months because of them. The OP's solution unfortunately is not a viable one for me.

Regarding the transport, for a while I owned a Sonore ultraRendu and found that functionality matters far more than the difference in sound quality between transports.
    Lumin A1
    Pre Amps: Mini DSP SHD, Threshold NS-10 (Recapped)
    Amps: Modwright KWA150SE, Threshold 400A (Recapped)
    NAS: Synology DS1513+
    Turntable: VPI HW19 MKIV DVxx2mkII Moerch arm VPI SDS

Quote Originally Posted by Sujay View Post
    Thanks, Bud. Any specific areas that benefited from the upgrade. It’s quite a tidy sum ie the new power supply. So I am trying to learn from the experience of others before plunging into it
    It has been a while, but I just remember the whole listening experience was better. It sounded better over all. Also, compared to buying an X1, the power supply upgrade was inexpensive.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Anyway, to finish my posts, the X1 is better than the S1 with an X1 power supply. The musical soundstage is wider, more open, and more powerful than the S1 with an X1 power supply. I can only imagine what the Z1 will be like. Now that I am retired I am saving my money for it.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin Network Transport