Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Network Streamer? Network Player? What am I looking for?

On the digital side of the house, my kit consists of an Oppo UDP-205 and a Bryston BDA-3 DAC. I'm using the audio only HDMI output of the Oppo into the Bryston, so I can decode all manner of PCM, but only DSD-64 content (either SACDs or digital files I have stored on an external USB hard drive attached to the Oppo). This works okay for 95% of my digital content at the moment, but the Android app isn't the best and if/when I start collecting DSD content at higher resolutions, this won't work.

The problem is, I'm not sure what I need or what brands to start investigating. Here's a list of my needs:

1) Wireless network connection
    2) No DAC necessary / bypassable
    3) No analog outputs needed
    4) Digital USB output (to the corresponding USB-B input on my Bryston)
    5) Either internal storage or external USB connection for hard drive / USB stick (or both)
    6) Plays back all file formats / resolutions (PCM and DSD)
    7) Android app for controlling the player
    8) *Bonus* Tidal / Qobuz streaming
    9) *Bonus* Internet radio

Reasonable price range ... i.e., something under $3k if possible.

Any suggestions as to what kind of device I am looking for would be awesome!
    Electronics: Pass Labs XP-22, Pass Labs X250.8
    Digital: T+A DAC 200, Auralic Aries G1, Sony UBP-X800M
    Analog: Pro-Ject X2 w/ Ortofon 2M Black, iFi Phono3 Phonostage
    Speakers: Janszen Audio Valentina P8, SVS SB13-Ultra
    Other: David Laboga Custom Audio/Shunyata/Audioquest cabling, PS Audio PowerPlant 15

Re: Network Streamer? Network Player? What am I looking for?

Since you need Android that probably limits you to Aurender for internal storage and Lumin without.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

The software the choice is fairly easy. Roon... it has Roon Server/Core and is controllable from any type of computer or tablet you want. I have an Android however my preferred controller is Surface tablet (bigger and much better screen). You can certainly use your Android tablet. Roon also can be used with services such as Tidal and Qobuz.

The music server itself can be a quality Windows computer. In essence these dedicated "music servers" are computers anyway. Really top notch computer builders such as Falcon Northwest can build you a great computer that will do the job nicely. Add the Roon license and you are in budget. Roon and a machine like that can handle any resolution you throw at it. I up-sample everything to DSD512.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Only took two posts this time for the Roon promotion to start. Roon is not the answer to every persons streaming situation. Nor is putting another computer in the audio chain. He said specifically internal storage or attached external hard drive.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Exactly... he said he wanted to use an Android controller, use Tidal and Qobuz, use USB to his DAC, internal or external storage. Roon and a computer does exactly this and can be done within his budget.... so how is this not a very good suggestion?

Also a good computer like the Falcons are wireless control and USB to his DAC, since the Bryston is a very solid DAC... so it fits everything asked for and in budget.

Roon is very easy, can control streaming services using an Android controller, and the Aurender, etc., will not sound any better than Roon and a purpose built computer, and will probably put him out of budget, and certainly will not be any easier to use.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Well, I would suggest selling the Bryston DAC, stop using Android, and get a Lumin X1. Then you will reach musical nirvana.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Audioshark

Network Streamer? Network Player? What am I looking for?

Auralic since you need wireless. Innuos for storage. I would suggest you look for something that is wired. Wireless sounds less than optimal. Getting the cable company to run a Ethernet cable is a lot easier than you may think.

Aurender or Lumin if you go wired.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

To my knowledge Aurender only uses iPad. In fact, they don't have a phone app.

If you can find a good deal the NAD M50.2 will do all you ask. However, I don't feel this unit is worth the retail asking price. The Blusound Vault is far less money and similar, off the top I don't know if it checks all your boxes. There are usually M50.2 for sale used and can be had around $2500 or less.
    Innuos may be another option. I didn't think they offered much internal storage but someone told me you can order them with more. Since I'm not looking anymore I never followed up. Unless it's come out they don't have their own app. I believe those that do work have an aAndroid version.
    I saw AURALIC came out with a G1 that has internal storage, it was shown at CEDIA so I don't know much about it.

Lumin is definitely a player but I don't know that much about the feature list of their vast line up.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    The software the choice is fairly easy. Roon... it has Roon Server/Core and is controllable from any type of computer or tablet you want. I have an Android however my preferred controller is Surface tablet (bigger and much better screen). You can certainly use your Android tablet. Roon also can be used with services such as Tidal and Qobuz.

The music server itself can be a quality Windows computer. In essence these dedicated "music servers" are computers anyway. Really top notch computer builders such as Falcon Northwest can build you a great computer that will do the job nicely. Add the Roon license and you are in budget. Roon and a machine like that can handle any resolution you throw at it. I up-sample everything to DSD512.
    I don't see "Music Server" listed on their website as a product they offer. Is this something you can contact them and ask to be built? Is it a desktop machine? A laptop? I'm assuming it works headless (e.g., without a monitor attached)?
    Other: David Laboga Custom Audio/Shunyata/Audioquest cabling, PS Audio PowerPlant 15

I think wireless he is referring to controlling, i.e. the Android controller. It will be wired to the DAC, i.e. USB.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

They custom build for your needs. I just had a new one built for headless purposes. Other companies do the same, Falcon has just been doing it longer.

A Music Server is really nothing more than a purpose built computer.

And yes, you can call them. Beyond amazing service. Definitely a desktop machine... the Tiki is smaller case. I just had a new Talon built because I wanted larger case this time. Did not want the fancy light show so we customized it that way. They build how I determine is best by talking with their representative. I have dealt with Warren for over 15 years now.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I had to laugh, my friend who has been using a computer with Roon, HQ, forever, he has all the little tweaks like Micro Rendu etc. just dumped it for an AURALIC Aeries, simply because it sounded better. He still uses Roon for management but the Aeries replaced his computer. He has one of the top model Lampi DAC's.

I believe if more audiophiles did the comparison we'd see more computers getting replaced by AURALIC, Aurender etc.

Exactly... he said he wanted to use an Android controller, use Tidal and Qobuz, use USB to his DAC, internal or external storage. Roon and a computer does exactly this and can be done within his budget.... so how is this not a very good suggestion?

Also a good computer like the Falcons are wireless control and USB to his DAC... so it fits everything asked for and in budget.

Roon is very easy, can control streaming services using an Android controller, and the Aurender, etc., will not sound any better than Roon and a purpose built computer, and will probably put him out of budget, and certainly will not be any easier to use.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I think wireless he is referring to controlling, i.e. the Android controller. It will be wired to the DAC, i.e. USB.
    Correct. The wireless I am referring to is for streaming digital content and for controlling the unit via Android tablet. Unfortunately, a wired connection is not in the cards at the moment. My apartment complex is completely wireless and if I wanted a wired connection, I would have to pay for it twice (the cost for the wireless service is built into what I pay as part of my rent every month; for a wired connection, I'd have to pay a second time as a separate service).

I've been looking at the Auralic Aries G1 and other than the fact it only works with iOS, it does seem to fit the bill quite nicely. I am still looking at the other suggestions being made on this thread.

Thanks, all.

Good luck with whichever way you determine works best for you. Most important, enjoy both the search and the music afterwards!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I had to laugh, my friend who has been using a computer with Roon, HQ, forever, he has all the little tweaks like Micro Rendu etc. just dumped it for an AURALIC Aeries, simply because it sounded better. He still uses Roon for management but the Aeries replaced his computer. He has one of the top model Lampi DAC's.

I believe if more audiophiles did the comparison we'd see more computers getting replaced by AURALIC, Aurender etc.
    All depends on the computer setup

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The G1 is a great piece and is my third Auralic but as you said it does require and IOS device though if you watch places like Newegg you can find factory refurbs for cheaper or even on Ebay. I had to buy one when I got my first Aries. Another option that will let you use the other companies is to use a wireless extender and go wired from it's port to the device. I used one for years until Xfinity started selling their own Mesh pods to work with their routers. Get one from Amazon and if it does work send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by tino27 View Post
    Correct. The wireless I am referring to is for streaming digital content and for controlling the unit via Android tablet. Unfortunately, a wired connection is not in the cards at the moment. My apartment complex is completely wireless and if I wanted a wired connection, I would have to pay for it twice (the cost for the wireless service is built into what I pay as part of my rent every month; for a wired connection, I'd have to pay a second time as a separate service).

I've been looking at the Auralic Aries G1 and other than the fact it only works with iOS, it does seem to fit the bill quite nicely. I am still looking at the other suggestions being made on this thread.

Thanks, all.
    There are a lot more of these wireless communities around. My brother lives in one in Florida. They own their own house but the entire community is wireless (included in their HOA even).

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Well, I would suggest selling the Bryston DAC, stop using Android, and get a Lumin X1. Then you will reach musical nirvana.
    Hmmm ... based on the Google search I just did and boolean logic being what it is ... $14,000 for a Lumin X1 is NOT less than $3,000. Clearly, musical nirvana is out of my price range. Perhaps musical utopia might be a better goal.

The HOA's are contracting a whole neighborhood rate from Comcast, Frontier or Spectrum which should be cheaper and then the only thing wired is the router. Don't know about the security of that type of group setup though.

Hmmm ... based on the Google search I just did and boolean logic being what it is ... $14,000 for a Lumin X1 is NOT less than $3,000. Clearly, musical nirvana is out of my price range. Perhaps musical utopia might be a better goal.
    But you can sell the Bryston DAC, it’s power cord, and interconnect cable. That will save at least $9K that you can then use.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    But you can sell the Bryston DAC, it’s power cord, and interconnect cable. That will save at least $9K that you can then use.
    This must be that "new math" I've heard the kids talk about.

If you like your DAC look at the U1 Mini in the Lumin line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The HOA's are contracting a whole neighborhood rate from Comcast, Frontier or Spectrum which should be cheaper and then the only thing wired is the router. Don't know about the security of that type of group setup though.
    My community goes through Spectrum. My devices are virtually separated from my neighbors (I'm assuming they use VLANs to separate neighbors). So, I can only see the devices registered on my own apartment. That being said, I can only connect 20 devices, so I have to pick and choose what I want to connect. Being a computer AND audio guy, I've come close to maxing out that number a couple of times.

And the wireless connection is WPA2. Not that it's the most secure thing in the world, but I'm assuming that anyone committed enough to crack it is probably going to be inside the building or sitting in a car outside my patio trying to hack their way in. I've seen no one in a trenchcoat and tiny sunglasses hanging about, so I think I'm reasonably safe (obligatory Matrix reference).

This must be that "new math" I've heard the kids talk about.
    Basic Hi-Fi economics.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Can you attach a wireless extender to the network?

Can you attach a wireless extender to the network?
    There is no need to extend the wireless connection as coverage is very good already. Maybe you meant a wireless ethernet bridge -- i.e., converting a wireless connection to a wired one? I'm assuming that if wireless connections are bad, then it doesn't matter where in the chain that wireless connection exists. Though I'm ready to be wrong on that one.

Anyone of these devices that have a wired ethernet jack. I have had good luck with TP Link but all of the major players make them. Put it near your gear rack and run a cable to the streamer. Having the ethernet port is the key.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wifi+exte...nb_sb_ss_i_1_5

Just because your internet is wireless doesn't mean that your music has to be. Obviously, any streaming service will be but -- duh. internet is all wireless at some point, whether in you house or 1,000 miles away. Even if your internet is attached to your house by a cable. Wireless is not bad -- ONLY SLOW wireless is.

Back to the point.

If you have your music on whatever device you choose in your house then you can run a cable to your dac, music server etc. if you choose to. No wireless. It's that simple.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

On the digital side of the house, my kit consists of an Oppo UDP-205 and a Bryston BDA-3 DAC. I'm using the audio only HDMI output of the Oppo into the Bryston, so I can decode all manner of PCM, but only DSD-64 content (either SACDs or digital files I have stored on an external USB hard drive attached to the Oppo). This works okay for 95% of my digital content at the moment, but the Android app isn't the best and if/when I start collecting DSD content at higher resolutions, this won't work.

The problem is, I'm not sure what I need or what brands to start investigating. Here's a list of my needs:

1) Wireless network connection
    2) No DAC necessary / bypassable
    3) No analog outputs needed
    4) Digital USB output (to the corresponding USB-B input on my Bryston)
    5) Either internal storage or external USB connection for hard drive / USB stick (or both)
    6) Plays back all file formats / resolutions (PCM and DSD)
    7) Android app for controlling the player
    8) *Bonus* Tidal / Qobuz streaming
    9) *Bonus* Internet radio

Reasonable price range ... i.e., something under $3k if possible.

Any suggestions as to what kind of device I am looking for would be awesome!
    Your Oppo 205 is a Roon Enpoint. It also has a great DAC. Several folks recommended Roon and quite frankly with Roon and your Oppo 205 you can do what you are looking for. And yes Roon will do Tidal, Qobuz, and internet radio which means that you don't have to compromise. In fact, you don't even need the Bryston!

And another one of the usual suspects checks in.

Besides the Auralic Aries G1 or Lumin U1 Mini + Wi-Fi Ethernet bridge, which I also think are great choices (and my personal preference is the Lumin combo), you could also consider the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N or Bluesound NODE 2i.

But the most important part in my opinion would be to find out which one provides you with the best user interface. You will want to take a look at screen shots or videos, or try out the app before buying the hardware if you can. The worst outcome is if you get some great hardware but don't like to use it.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

As has been stated. It is all personal preference.

One thing I can say is that I have never ever heard of a single person who purchased Roon being disappointed. I could be wrong but I think it is by far the most popular playback software on the market. Once someone tries it they never go back. It is the heart of a digital playback system in my view.

If you decide to spend goo goo bucks on the latest greatest music server because people say it is better then a dedicated built computer, so be it.... but Roon always wins out when people actually try it... Roon with a very good computer built with music playback in mind, in my view can compete against most things out there unless you go many many times the price.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

You just can't leave it alone can you? We all know what your personal opinion is by now. Windows computers with Roon and no streaming services. The majority of us just don't feel the same. Every discussion about streaming or streamers ends up with you, nicoff and a couple of others making the same arguments no matter what the OP asks for.

The OP asked for opinions. We gave him opinions that addressed exactly what he was asking for. Furthermore he stated that he is a computer guy and we know he would not be intimidated by using a computer.

My questions is why when someone asks a straight forward question, with very specific needs and desires, does a handful of people start going into tangents and trying to get him to change his entire setup, even wiring in his apartment, to get him to buy what would probably be more expensive gear? Also, the more expensive gear does not meet his exact original needs as were clearly described.

There are times when a well built computer and Roon will not fit the bill. This is not one of them. Instead, going by his original post, a computer and Roon fits his needs, exactly.

1) Wireless network connection --- wifi built in, check
    2) No DAC necessary / bypassable --- works with existing DAC, check
    3) No analog outputs needed --- no need for analog output, but there if ever needed, check
    4) Digital USB output (to the corresponding USB-B input on my Bryston) --- multiple USB outputs, check
    5) Either internal storage or external USB connection for hard drive / USB stick (or both) --- any amount of internal or external drives you desire, check
    6) Plays back all file formats / resolutions (PCM and DSD) --- playback any format that is desired, DSD512, no worries, check
    7) Android app for controlling the player --- control apps included for iPads, iPhones, Mac computers, Android Tablets, Android Phones, PCs, PC tablets, check
    8) *Bonus* Tidal / Qobuz streaming --- can stream Tidal and Qobuz, check
    9) *Bonus* Internet radio --- can be used with Internet radio, check

Reasonable price range ... i.e., something under $3k if possible. --- can be put together for under $3k, check
    It does do EXACTLY what he is asking for. I frankly do not see the issue or understand why anyone would get upset over this one. Why are people constantly trying to push others to products and setups that do not fit their needs?

The only issue I have ever heard people have with Roon is the price. It is the most expensive playback software on the market. You get what you pay for. It also fits the stated budget. If you want to try it, try it. There is a very reasonably lengthy trial. They have yearly contracts, or like many people do after trying it, you can purchase a lifetime subscription. It is the one software package that is constantly being updated and improved. The list of features that have been added since I purchased my lifetime sub is longer then I can list here, including recently adding QoBuz as an available service.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Since you need Android that probably limits you to Aurender for internal storage and Lumin without.
    This is Incorrect. There are other options.

Avoid HOAs like the plague.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Avoid HOAs like the plague.
    I certainly would prefer to if given a choice. Unfortunately, sometimes where you want to live involves an HOA. I think the one at my brothers house in Florida would not be one I would like though. All communications with the outside world, i.e., Phone, Internet, TV, etc., are through the community wide wireless, and no others are allowed in the complex.... ouch...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

You just can't leave it alone can you? We all know what your personal opinion is by now. Windows computers with Roon and no streaming services. The majority of us just don't feel the same. Every discussion about streaming or streamers ends up with you, nicoff and a couple of others making the same arguments no matter what the OP asks for.
    +1

I’m not quite sure what the anti-Roon stuff is about but I am in a similar predicament to the OP. Right now I sometimes use my Sooloos which is wired in. I did, however, install Roon on my wireless only PC whilst accessing a HDD connected to the computer. So the files are moving over my crappy wireless connection. I will need Android apps as well so Lumin sounds good as does Innuos. I would love to get a Aurender W20E but since it is not Roon compatible it might not be a good choice. Of course one can use the native app or Roon on Lumin and Innuos but the choice is there. My major problem is my HDD is sending files wirelessly to the sooloos via the Ron App. I would feel better having a NAS hardwired to the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Howiebrou View Post

My major problem is my HDD is sending files wirelessly to the sooloos via the Ron App. I would feel better having a NAS hardwired to the server.
    In my experience, wireless connection worked perfectly unless on certain occasions when signal was weak and I was trying to listen to large WAV files (High def WAV). On those occasions there would be random signal drops.
    One free thing you can always try (if you have not done already) is converting all your files to FLAC. That's because FLAC files are smaller and allow faster wireless transfer.
    Without a doubt, a NAS with Ethernet wired connection is best because you are not at the mercy of a weak wireless signal not to mention the advantages of a NAS over a HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    In my experience, wireless connection worked perfectly unless on certain occasions when signal was weak and I was trying to listen to large WAV files (High def WAV). On those occasions there would be random signal drops.
    One free thing you can always try (if you have not done already) is converting all your files to FLAC. That's because FLAC files are smaller and allow faster wireless transfer.
    Without a doubt, a NAS with Ethernet wired connection is best because you are not at the mercy of a weak wireless signal not to mention the advantages of a NAS over a HDD.
    All my files are FLAC as they were exported back out of the sooloos. Actually normally it’s okay but with Tidal files sometimes it drops the connection. Innuos told me the sound should be better if you use their internal SSD storage. They can then have automatic back up to a NAS which sounds good.

Innuos told me the sound should be better if you use their internal SSD storage. They can then have automatic back up to a NAS which sounds good.
    I certainly agree on internally storage and backing up to your NAS. It simply makes things work smoother without any speed or connection issues.

Are you moving away from your Meridian Sooloos? My understanding is that the Sooloos and their app (two of our club members use it in their systems) is similar to Roon because the guys who designed and built it are the same guys who started Roon. Roon has evolved way beyond it of course.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I’m not quite sure what the anti-Roon stuff is about but I am in a similar predicament to the OP.
    Please don’t confuse anti-anti-streaming with anti-Roon. Roon is great for streaming, I myself am a Roon subscriber, use Roon Nucleus server and Ethernet direct to MSB DAC.

You must be conflating different threads. This thread was about giving opinions on digital setups. In fact he specifically asked about Tidal and Qoboz, which are streaming services. As far as I read most every reply to the OP was giving solutions to include these streaming services. What was in the other person's post was the negativity towards Roon, or so it seemed to me.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Correct it's about continuing to push one's individual agenda regardless of what the OP requests help with. Whether or not you choose to use Roon or not as playback software is your decision but in the majority of cases has nothing to do with simple hardware requests. Yet to some the answer to every streaming question involves the need to subscribe to Roon and purchase a NAS, Nucleus or a headless PC to be correct. If that was in fact true Mike and other dealers wouldn't sell so many full service streamer/dacs and transports.

I certainly agree on internally storage and backing up to your NAS. It simply makes things work smoother without any speed or connection issues.

Are you moving away from your Meridian Sooloos? My understanding is that the Sooloos and their app (two of our club members use it in their systems) is similar to Roon because the guys who designed and built it are the same guys who started Roon. Roon has evolved way beyond it of course.
    Yes, Roon was developed by the same individuals who initially did Sooloos. I exported my music from Sooloos and moved on as Roon is more than a generation beyond Sooloos. There is no further development of Sooloos going to occur.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

You know what, it is not worth going back and forth on something so silly. I hope the OP got some useful information.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I’m not quite sure what the anti-Roon stuff is about but I am in a similar predicament to the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Please don’t confuse anti-anti-streaming with anti-Roon. Roon is great for streaming, I myself am a Roon subscriber, use Roon Nucleus server and Ethernet direct to MSB DAC.
    You must be conflating different threads. This thread was about giving opinions on digital setups. In fact he specifically asked about Tidal and Qoboz, which are streaming services. As far as I read most every reply to the OP was giving solutions to include these streaming services. What was in the other person's post was the negativity towards Roon, or so it seemed to me.
    Please don’t confuse anti-anti-streaming and/or anti-anti-full service network streamers/dacs/transports with anti-Roon. Roon is great for streaming, I myself am a Roon subscriber, use Roon Nucleus server and Ethernet direct to MSB DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Please don’t confuse anti-anti-streaming and/or anti-anti-full service network streamers/dacs/transports with anti-Roon. Roon is great for streaming, I myself am a Roon subscriber, use Roon Nucleus server and Ethernet direct to MSB DAC.
    I'm sorry, I got confused by the back to back double negatives followed by another negative . I think I see your point . Very good one.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    To my knowledge Aurender only uses iPad. In fact, they don't have a phone app.

If you can find a good deal the NAD M50.2 will do all you ask. However, I don't feel this unit is worth the retail asking price. The Blusound Vault is far less money and similar, off the top I don't know if it checks all your boxes. There are usually M50.2 for sale used and can be had around $2500 or less.
    Innuos may be another option. I didn't think they offered much internal storage but someone told me you can order them with more. Since I'm not looking anymore I never followed up. Unless it's come out they don't have their own app. I believe those that do work have an aAndroid version.
    I saw AURALIC came out with a G1 that has internal storage, it was shown at CEDIA so I don't know much about it.

Lumin is definitely a player but I don't know that much about the feature list of their vast line up.
    Only the Auralic G2 has internal storage, not the G1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team