Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

PS Audio DAC Pre Vs Bryston BP17_3

Hello, My Bryston 1B died after 30+ years so Im looking to replace it. Thinking of the PS Audio Stellar gain cell DAC or the Bryston BP 17_3 as well the Parasound P6. does anyone have these preamps? and can you give some insight? Im on a budget so the Bryston will be stretching it monies wise. Thank you in advance.

My system consists of Bryston 4B SST_2, Schiit Mani, Clear Audio Performance DC, PMC Twenty Five 23 speakers, and a NAD CD player.

George

Super Moderator

Re: PS Audio DAC Pre Vs Bryston BP17_3

Welcome to the forum George, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Go Bryston for synergy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum George, thank you for joining.
    Thanks Joe, Happy to be here!

I don't have direct experience with the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell, but one of my clients had one. I am familiar with the Bryston BP-17^3 and Parasound P6 though. If you want to stick with what you already know, you should get the Bryston. The other choices will sound different enough that I would recommend trying to find a way to hear them first.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

The Bryston served you well. I tend to agree with Mike, if you can figure a way to afford it I would stick with Bryston.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks for all your responses
    G

I have owned the bp17cubed... reviews are great but that was not my experience. How sensitive are you to the noise floor of your system?

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    I have owned the bp17cubed... reviews are great but that was not my experience. How sensitive are you to the noise floor of your system?
    Thanks for your response. As far as with my 1B matched with my 4B SST_2 the noise floor was whisper quiet. Are you saying the BP17_3 was not? being newer technology thought the BP 17 would be very quiet. What where your findings? what did you replace it with eventually? was the BP 17_3 mated with Bryston power amp? your insight would be appreciated.

thanks in advance. George

You live in the home of Bryston there are surely sufficient dealers in the GTA that you can find someone to let you try one for yourself.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    You live in the home of Bryston there are surely sufficient dealers in the GTA that you can find someone to let you try one for yourself.
    Yes I have two stores quite close to me that carry Bryston. But none of them are willing for me to take one home for the weekend to audition. No serious listening in the store but what I heard was fine. Mind you I have a square and not a cube both stores had _3 amps.

Pain in the ass as it might be it seems the only answer is to carry your amp in and listen if they will let you. Otherwise look for one used on CAM and sell it if you don't like it.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanblues View Post
    Thanks for your response. As far as with my 1B matched with my 4B SST_2 the noise floor was whisper quiet. Are you saying the BP17_3 was not? being newer technology thought the BP 17 would be very quiet. What where your findings? what did you replace it with eventually? was the BP 17_3 mated with Bryston power amp? your insight would be appreciated.

thanks in advance. George
    That is what I am saying. With the preamp in the chain my noise floor jumped 4x... what was even more surprising is that the noise being generated in the right speaker was different than the noise in the left speaker. I swapped to another XLR output as 2 sets are available with similar results. Surprisingly using RCA inputs was a slight bit quieter... but I dont use RCAs. Again, audition to see if it bothers you.

Do either of the stores have a return policy? Also, have you tried contacting the company. Since you live right near them maybe Bryston could "arrange" for an in home trial, especially since you have been a long term customer.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Do either of the stores have a return policy? Also, have you tried contacting the company. Since you live right near them maybe Bryston could "arrange" for an in home trial, especially since you have been a long term customer.
    I know Bryston is a made per order company but I can always ask the question. One of the stores I deal with would probably take back the unit if I am not happy with it. I will ask as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    That is what I am saying. With the preamp in the chain my noise floor jumped 4x... what was even more surprising is that the noise being generated in the right speaker was different than the noise in the left speaker. I swapped to another XLR output as 2 sets are available with similar results. Surprisingly using RCA inputs was a slight bit quieter... but I dont use RCAs. Again, audition to see if it bothers you.
    Ok will do. 4X that is really high I have heard stories that the mute button makes a popping sound sometimes but this noise floor issue is something I have not heard yet and is concerning to me. I will go listen to one today.

The noise floor on the BP-17^3 is audible with most speakers if you are somewhat close to the speakers. There's a fair chance one may have never noticed it in a typical room sitting 6+ feet away. I have not noticed a difference in noise floor between the left and right channels. The noise floor does not increase in level until you're past ~4 o'clock on the volume dial, which is already super, super loud and it only increases a small amount. I'm usually 11 o'clock or less on the volume. The sound quality significantly makes up for the noise floor in my opinion.

Stereophile remarks on the noise floor in their measurements of the BP-17 Cubed in case you're curious about how it measures.

The "popping sound" on mute is a non-issue in my opinion—it's a soft blip from the woofers that is lower in volume than the actual button click and internal relay noise, and not a function of the volume level when you mute.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Make no mistake... I test any new component in my rig thoroughly to judge how well engineered and silent it is. That includes me putting my ear right to the tweeter with the system simply powered on. The BP17-3 has been the noisiest pre-amp I have ever had in my system. take that as you will. If you already have 4 times the noise of another system then imagine what that noise is doing when you are listening to a track at 80db... it certainly isnt helping.

Any popping is completely unacceptable to me. This is why I gave up on their amps as well. To this day I feel their BDA3 DAC is the best product they offer.

Audioshark

I’m a big fan of the Bryston folks, but I do wish the cube amps sounded a little more like the square amps. My 28SST2 were insanely good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I agree with you regarding the noise level of the BP-17^3 and wanted to provide a reference point for how audible it is. I was also surprised at the noise floor when I first received it. With speakers that are more sensitive than normal it could be a problem, particularly in a quiet room.
    Neko Audio

I think you’ll find the Bryston is in another class. It’s as much as damn it to a reference pre amp when I tried it. So much neutrality and timbre. You can see my review on my website at 13th note.

Thanks for the review. Looks like you really liked it. Might go for a tube pre though.

I would say the Bryston is incredibly refined and it’s not like lots of overly smoothed tube amps which loose dynamics on fast music if that’s your thing. The Bryston has a great balance between raw solid state and tube smooth, is what I’m saying. I will probably get one as a reference pre. Looks wise they could do more!

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Note HiFi Reviews View Post
    I would say the Bryston is incredibly refined and it’s not like lots of overly smoothed tube amps which loose dynamics on fast music if that’s your thing. The Bryston has a great balance between raw solid state and tube smooth, is what I’m saying. I will probably get one as a reference pre. Looks wise they could do more!
    I really don't mind the look of Bryston gear. I am going to audition the 17_3 to a Copland CTA 305 today.

Two things surprise me here, 1st the noise floor I have only read but the reviews I have seen are that it’s really low. 2nd is cubed vs squared, I’ve had both but the cubed is a really smooth top to bottom and a pretty big step up. I have the BP26 and there isn’t a hiss out of mine wonder if there was a loop on that 17(3).

Thanks. I went to listen to the 17 _3 and there was no hiss coming through the speakers that I could hear? Compared to the Copland I found the Bryston more dynamic with a better lower end.

That seems to be more par for the course. I haven’t heard a bad word about the 17(3) other than it’s different from the BP26. Bryston is famous for its bottom end and my focals are thankful.

If you couldnt hear any noise, then great. Perhaps that system simply couldnt muster the resolution for you to notice, or perhaps your hearing isnt as pristine as some others. Either way, the preamp I had was noisey, unacceptably so. When discussed with others, whose opinion I trust, they stated that they noticed the same.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

PS Audio DAC Pre Vs Bryston BP17_3