Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Tubed Power Amplifiers. Are the disadvantages too great ?

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Myles.......Thanks for bringing your point of view to the discussion, and refocusing on the original topic. The clowning around gets old quick.
    It certainly does Dan.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Question: Tubed Power Amplifiers. Are the disadvantages too great ?

The Hifi market worldwide today gives you a clear answer: No.

The rest is personal and conversation.
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

Quote Originally Posted by tube-vds View Post
    Question: Tubed Power Amplifiers. Are the disadvantages too great ?

The Hifi market worldwide today gives you a clear answer: No.

The rest is personal and conversation.
    Well said.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Well said.
    Reliability is an objective metric. It's just that there probably is no hard data on actual problem/failure numbers, just old guys talking anecdotes among themselves. With utmost seriousness of course.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Reliability is an objective metric. It's just that there probably is no hard data on actual problem/failure numbers, just old guys talking anecdotes among themselves. With utmost seriousness of course.
    You are correct about reliability being an objective measurement. The hard data is in the hands of the OEMs who repair their gear and track their failure modes. Audiophiles don’t have access to that data which leads to old guys swapping war stories.

I assembled my first high-end audio system 51 years ago. In the ensuing years I have owned so much audio equipment I could fill a boutique audio shop front to back if I had it all back. I have had so few repair issues with equipment during this half century of time as to be considered nearly insignificant. There has been no noteworthy difference with repair issues between my solid state gear or my tube gear. One type of gear versus the other has not demonstrated that either has gained notoriety over the other.

Right now, as luck would have it, I have a service issue with a solid state piece of equipment. My Aurender N100H music server AMOLED screen failed. I usually kept the screen set to display the artist and song titles. I began to notice the display becoming dimmer by the day. Then last week the screen turned a whitish pink color and froze so that the Aurender Conductor app no longer communicated with the screen. I could not turn it off. A hard reboot of the music server did nothing to correct the problem. When playing songs the music server continued to perform flawless, just the screen failed. Aurender answered my support email within a half an hour, issued me an RMA number, and N100H was shipped back to the Irvine, California service center yesterday for a new AMOLED screen to be installed. Thank goodness I have other source components in the living room sound system so I am not high and dry for music.

It just goes to demonstrate that any component can have an issue at any moment that requires technical service. Parts occasionally fail whether solid state or vacuum tube based. It's the nature of the electronic beast. None the less, my total service related incidents compared to the total components I have owned over 51 years has been inconsequential. It's a given that there will be issues from time to time, and certainly nothing to spend much energy worrying about.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

My Aurender N100H music server AMOLED screen failed.
    Joe R is talking about tube amplifiers vs SS amplifiers, quite specifically.
    Basically the tube fan club here is saying there is either no difference in reliability and yearly service needs, like replacing power tubes and in fact, tube amps may be the more reliable less finicky option. Of course reality and high enders are two different worlds entirely.
    Btw, off the top of my head, I currently own a least 6 different tube components, including amplifiers. Reliability and non-finickyness aren't the reasons why.

Joe R is talking about tube amplifiers vs SS amplifiers, quite specifically.
    Basically the tube fan club here is saying there is either no difference in reliability and yearly service needs, like replacing power tubes and in fact, tube amps may be the more reliable less finicky option. Of course reality and high enders are two different worlds entirely.
    Btw, off the top of my head, I currently own a least 6 different tube components, including amplifiers. Reliability and non-finickyness aren't the reasons why.
    AJ.......I understand the original topic. I am simply pointing out as a general rule that reliability of audio components can prove elusive no matter the design concept, and may inflict failure issues on any component at any given time without warning.

With respect to service issues and tube amplification, one thing that appeals to me is the ability to check tube performance at will, and by keeping track of the gain and transconductance numbers some problems can be identified in advance of them becoming performance or service issues. That's why I invested in tube testing equipment. No doubt about it, due diligence is a bit more demanding with tube amplifiers. Some people are not willing to embrace the effort and cost and that's fine, but in my opinion the effort and expense is rewarded many times over in pure musical enjoyment and peace of mind.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

That's why I invested in tube testing equipment. No doubt about it, due diligence is a bit more demanding with tube amplifiers.
    That may have been the central theme of Joe's position. He never once argued against the sound satisfaction factor. In fact, he unambiguously stated that was not an issue.
    As you say, some folks don't mind all the extra effort, others apparently do...and simultaneously aren't settling for second fiddle with their choice of sonics in spite of this.

The bottom line is that tube gear is going to cost more money to operate over time than SS gear. Tubes have a finite life and will have to be replaced periodically. People who aren’t willing to deal with tubes shouldn’t.

You are correct about reliability being an objective measurement. The hard data is in the hands of the OEMs who repair their gear and track their failure modes. Audiophiles don’t have access to that data which leads to old guys swapping war stories.

I'm too young of an old guy to be an old guy.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    I'm too young of an old guy to be an old guy.
    It’s all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph R. View Post
    Just simple ones, like tube degradation, low power, limited ability to handle less than 8 ohm loads, bass overhang, rolled off high frequencies, quality tube availability, high cost of power tubes, need for a vacuum tube tester, tube biasing, tube matching, sound variability dependent on tube brand or date of manufacture, total tube failure, high heat and overall reliability.

I understand that all of these rarely apply. But every one can be a possibility and therefore a trade off. Oh, and I forgot that sometimes the tubes needed go out of production. The stock pile of NOS is not going to last forever.
    If you don't mind me debunking this at this late point in the thread:
    Tubes do degrade, but if you stick to triodes the degradation is much slower.
    Yes, tubes make less power, but that really isn't a problem as we shall see.

Its pretty fair to say that no amplifier really handles less than 8 ohms all that well. The problem here is that as load impedance is reduced, the distortion of any amplifier goes up. You might think it 'negligible' but its not; that increased distortion is almost entirely IM and higher ordered harmonics, both to which the ear is keenly sensitive. So the result is less detailed, harsher sound. Put another way, if high quality reproduction is your goal, your amplifier investment dollar will be best served by a loudspeaker that is 8 ohms or more, all other things being equal. A simple way to make any solid state design sound smoother and more detailed (due to less distortion) is to simply increase the load impedance. What I'm talking about here is the difference between a good hifi and something that sounds like real music.

There is no reason high frequencies have to be rolled off. The H/K Citation 2 had bandwidth to well over 60KHz; our amps go up to 200KHz (with full power to 1 Hz). It might be though that you hear less energy up high for a different reason- the ear converts distortion into tonality; higher ordered harmonics are perceived as brightness. If they are masked as they often are in a tube amp, the result is a perception of less energy even though the bandwidth might be the same. IOW the brighter sound you hear from solid state is often just distortion that isn't masked.

Bass overhang isn't a thing if the design is at all competent.

We get our power tubes from Russia; they cost tested at retail about $28.00 each. That's really not crazy money. We don't need a tester to test them; they can be tested visually- just by looking at them you can tell if they are good (and how they behave in our amps). BTW this is true of a lot of power tubes. Our bias and that of many other amps is automatic. We don't match the tubes- we've found no need but this is an issue in many other designs. We don't find a lot of variance between the Russian and Chinese variants; the American tubes sound a little better but are often less reliable (counter to how that sort of thing usually works with tube amps).

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that quite often these days its easier to find a replacement tube than it is to find a replacement semiconductor. There are millions of different semiconductors in production and that have been produced; of the latter many are obsolete and no longer available. We had a Classe amp in for repair some years back; what stymied the repair was that the output devices weren't available even from Classe. But that particular amp was made in the early 1990s and while almost any tube amp made in that time you can still find the replacement tubes, this decades on after tubes were declared 'obsolete'.

Reliability is an engineering issue. You can design for a given tube and depending on how you do it, the tube may or may not last. This is true of semiconductors as well, but since tubes are bit more forgiving (if you overheat one but let it cool off properly it might still be OK; don't do that with a transistor...) you can often get away with quite a lot. At audio shows I often short out the outputs of our amps, pull tubes while the amp is playing and the amp acts like nothing happened. Don't do that with a solid state amp!

Quote Originally Posted by atmasphere View Post
    IOW the brighter sound you hear from solid state is often just distortion that isn't masked.
    Or expectation, sighted, etc, etc bias.
    So of course never demonstrable under "trust ears"/"just listen" conditions. Totally ad hoc, sure!

So it sounds like there may be to many disadvantages to SS amps to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    I'm not sure I would agree. The problem isn't that the engineering talent to make a musical solid state amp does not exist. There are some pretty good examples out there right now, but as far as the industry is concerned, they 'measure poorly'. IMO/IME this has to do with the simple fact that we simply don't measure the right things; not much has changed since the head engineer at HH Scott pointed this out decades ago. IMO one thing that would help a lot is a weighting system on the harmonic spectra created by the amplifier; with heavier weighting on higher ordered harmonics and very low weighting on lower orders.

The problem with this of course is the resulting spec sheet would tell you how the amplifier sounds- you wouldn't have to audition it to know it would work in your system. The industry as a whole probably could not imagine a worse outcome! So don't hold your breath on that one.

But there are a few mavericks out there that push the state of the art. One is pretty well known- Nelson Pass. And now that class D has been around a while, there appear to be a few players that are making amps that are better than the usual tripe- that have musical qualities. Nelson is applying engineering to make the amp work according to what we know about human hearing perceptual rules rather than designing the stuff to look good on paper. As a result he makes some of the more musical solid state amps around. IMO we need more of that.

Yep, that's why all audiophiles worldwide have tube amps and Mike/Suncoast refuses to sell SS. Especially for Bluegrass music.
    Yeah must be it.

Atmasphere, I was beind somewhat facetious. But my personal experience has gravitated me to tubes.

I want to find a musical SS amp but the ones I see praised are $20k. I am stunned at what I'm hearing from my $4,400 pentode 60 watt kt88 amps. I do see a pair of your monoblock used for $6k. If I was not so happy with mine, I would buy they. I'm personally wondering about SS and can I find something as musical as mine for less than $6 used. I do wonder about the T+A amp 8. Randy likes his. That or a Luxman M600 or 800. Or a Pass XA 60.5. I'm just not at all confident any would be as magical on Classical or Jazz as what I have now.

AJ, I though Mike had Luxman and Gryphon as well as Pass Labs?

Atmasphere, I was beind somewhat facetious.

AJ, I though Mike had Luxman and Gryphon as well as Pass Labs?
    You weren't the only one being facetious.

A GREAT tube amp/amps,advantages significantly out weigh any disadvantage.....IMO....Would not trade my SETs for ANY SS amp...at any cost...The sound is that good...!!!
    Listening Room: 25' L x 18' W x 23' H..system on the long wall
    Speakers: Tidal 'Contriva Diacera-SE
    Amps: Chalice Audio 'Grail' SET mono blocks with Psvane WE 845 / 300b tubes
    Source: Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    HighFidelity MC-1 Pro Helix conditioner
    Cables:
    Audience-Studio One RCA interconnect
    SilverSmith 'Fidelium' speaker cables
    Silent Source 'Music Reference' Power Cords x 3
    Innuos 'PhoenixNet' Switch
    CAD-CG-1

Audioquest 'fog lifters' under the Fidelium cables
    Arya Audio-RevOpods under my Tidal Speakers
    REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2
    Nordost V2 ethernet cable

EVP Isolation footers- subs-speakers- Lumin

Tweaks:
    Stillpoints Ultra SS under amps
    EVP HDR isolators 2" x 8...under my Lumin A1 and PSU
    EVP HDR isolators 4" x 16..under my Tidal speakers and my REL 212 SE subs

Ha AJ. I feel pretty slow.

But there are a few mavericks out there that push the state of the art. One is pretty well known- Nelson Pass. And now that class D has been around a while, there appear to be a few players that are making amps that are better than the usual tripe- that have musical qualities. Nelson is applying engineering to make the amp work according to what we know about human hearing perceptual rules rather than designing the stuff to look good on paper. As a result he makes some of the more musical solid state amps around. IMO we need more of that.[/QUOTE]

Atmasphere, Why Class D? I am sort of interested in class D. I bought that super inexpensive Allo Volt +D amp. It's dead quiet in my system. Not a sound from it or my speakers. Every other Tube or class AB SS amp I have had hums on my rack and through my speakers. I am suspect its an issue with the output transformers picking up something and amplifying it. My little class D amp seems to have no transformers in it.

Do your amps have an input transformer. I know they don't have output transformers. Are your amps more resistant to humming issues?
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

Not sure anymore where this thread is heading...or maybe there's actually no longer any direction.

Regardless, I think it's accurate to say that we have really excellent tube and SS amps today that can meet a wide set of customer's requirements for performance and create engaging musical experiences.

Atmasphere, Why Class D? I am sort of interested in class D. I bought that super inexpensive Allo Volt +D amp. It's dead quiet in my system. Not a sound from it or my speakers. Every other Tube or class AB SS amp I have had hums on my rack and through my speakers. I am suspect its an issue with the output transformers picking up something and amplifying it. My little class D amp seems to have no transformers in it.
    The hum is probably due to poor grounding schemes in the prior designs. That sort of thing is very common in high end audio. We have direct-coupled inputs. Occasionally we also run into hum issues- but in dealing with them we often find that something in the system was defeating the grounding scheme. We support the balanced line standard- AES48, which is pretty specific about grounding.

As to class D, initially it seemed about lower power consumption which it why its very practical in smartphones. But it can also be about quality if the designer recognizes what is important in the final design. The criteria are different, since class D lacks many of the traditional issues and instead has issues associated with switching. But if they are dealt with correctly the result can be quite musical.

Although I have a slight preference for SS, sonics are the bottom line for me. If it sounds good, it is good. Doesn't matter whether it's tubes or SS. In January I'll be taking delivery of a Gryphon Diablo D300 for my downstairs primary listening room. But I also had the opportunity to audition a VAC 170i all tube integrated amp that I would be perfectly satisfied with. Outstanding amp. Beautifully built. I can easily see why some might prefer it to the D300. But my personal preference and the sound my ears liked most was the D300. Doesn't mean it was better than the VAC, just different. I'm just not sure I want to mess with tubes. But that's me and my particular application. YMMV.

However, I definitely could see where I might want the VAC for a secondary system (my upstairs living room) and for a different sound. I might not be going through tubes as much since it would be a secondary listening room and not used as much as my primary listening room. My 2 cents.

There is something in the tube sound for most music except electronic and electronic dance music. You just need solid state for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Note HiFi Reviews View Post
    There is something in the tube sound for most music except electronic and electronic dance music. You just need solid state for that.
    why ??
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    why ??
    Because he said so?

Because he said so?
    well that would be typical 'audiophile response' ........... seriously though, I am curious as to why he made the statement
    Cheers ! …. Dave

https://www.audionirvana.org/node/125767

Read this thread. Richard sites some very compelling "science" near the end.

Of all the ones I’ve tried there are only few (eg audio research) that don’t degrade dynamics and speed.

https://www.audionirvana.org/node/125767

Richard sites some very compelling "science" near the end.
    No. That is anti-science, zero evidence belief. Sorry.
    Any decent non pathelogical SS amp will have magnitudes lower harmonic distortion than typical SET amps. And much lower output impedance.
    That's not the reason people like SETs. The opposite. They have doses of distortion, both harmonic and amplitude, that some folks find pleasing.
    It's called preference. Unortunately, that sweet syrup is applied to everything, panacakes...and steak, like it or not.
    The only "off" switch for this special effects, is the power button.

Note that the SS does what he said, starts higher, goes lower with output. Opposite for the SET, starts low, goes high.
    But look at the magnitude, the SS starts at 0.06% at 1mW, whereas the SET is a 0.2%. IOW much higher (but highly doubtful either is audible unless your speakers sensitivity is through the roof...and the SET still loses).
    By 1w game is long over. Plus it's a total load of BS you listen mostly at 1w, unless you listen only to dreary audiophile elevator crap music. Any sort of symphonic is going to demand FAR more on peaks, even with high sensitivity speakers.
    I guess some folks crave anemic, colored audiophile sound. That's a preference, not an absolute. Not everyone does. YMMV.

cheers,

AJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Agreed AJ. Science was the wrong word to use. I don't know your 2 graph are either. They arn't ties to any particular amp /speaker combo.

Does low power or high power really matter. I have read so many times, well deaigned amps on paper that have the most perfect "insert engineering speak" can still sound awful. On another thread the fight is between 500 watts and 2 watts. Both say theirs sounds best.

Agreed AJ. Science was the wrong word to use.
    Well you did have it in quotes, which was appropriate.

I don't know your 2 graph are either.
    The top one is a (typical) SS amp doing what your quoted guy said, starting at "high" distortion at low levels (the bottom scale is watts, so we are starting at 1/10th of a watt, just like the bottom graph. Distortion as a percentage is the vertical scale. As he said, the SS amp has decreasing distortion with output, until it is overdriven >200w, where it rapidly rises.
    The SET OTOH, starts "low" at 1/10th watt, then increases. His "argument" is that this is better because it's "lower" at 1/10th watt...except it clearly isn't. 0.2% is more than 0.06%, not less. It's higher overall, even at 1/10th watt, than the SS.
    It's yet another false crutch that people will attempt to use to "bolster" their purely subjective preference. As I noted, the real reason is the opposite. SETs have far more distortion....but it can be the pleasing variety, depending on several factors. Including preference!!

Does low power or high power really matter.
    If you listen only to elevator music and have zero real ear training/ability, so unable to discern supressed transients, amplitude distortions, gross distortions, etc, etc, etc. no.
    If not, say you listen to symphonic music with huge dynamic swings/peaks, then yes, output power matters a great deal and having more than plenty isn't a bad idea.
    All YMMV.

It's yet another false crutch that people will attempt to use to "bolster" their purely subjective preference. As I noted, the real reason is the opposite. SETs have far more distortion....but it can be the pleasing variety, depending on several factors. Including preference!!

This is a very interesting topic and totally off track, but I have heard that is the reason so many like Tape.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

The distortion issue is a bit more complex than it appears on its face.

The ear's masking principle appears to play a role too. The ear also converts distortion into tonality. This is why the 2nd produces a 'warmth' and the 7th imposes a metallic quality.

Apparently the presence of enough 2nd and 3rd (both of which are treated by the ear the same way, which is to say they both contribute to 'warmth' and the ear is otherwise relatively insensitive to them) is helpful to mask higher orders. This is why tube amps can have overall higher distortion yet sound smoother. Its also why tubes are still around; they have been 'obsolete' now for longer than they were in production. Normally when a superior art appears, it supplants the prior art, but that didn't happen in this case for a reason and IMO/IME its all about distortion- but not because people want coloration so much as they feel they are getting away from coloration!

Most solid state amps lack not only the overall distortion but also the percentage of 2nd and 3rd, enough so that the higher orders apparently are not masked even though they are at a lower level- and the ear treats them as brightness and harshness. This coloration can be quite annoying- thus tubes.

The problem is that a truly zero distortion amplifier is impossible- so the issue is, if the lower orders are helpful in masking the higher orders, is there a way to introduce them into a solid state amp without also significantly messing with the linearity? Apparently Nelson Pass thinks 'yes' as he has a few DIY circuits that seem to be designed around the idea that the lower orders aren't that harmful. From all accounts I've heard they sound nice too (I've only built his SIT amp which is one of the better solid state amps I've heard) so this seems to be borne out in practice. Its unfortunate that the SITs he likes aren't being made- they seemed to be a solution to the tubes/transistors debate; Sony could have done well to produce more than just power devices in this regard- a range of driver transistors would have been nice to work with too.

In retrospect this seems typical of Sony: come up with a good idea, and then don't let anyone in on it, thus shooting themselves in the foot with the results being something that is mostly sidelined... SITs, Betamax, Elcassette, minidisk, etc.

If you listen only to elevator music and have zero real ear training/ability, so unable to discern supressed transients, amplitude distortions, gross distortions, etc, etc, etc. no. If not, say you listen to symphonic music with huge dynamic swings/peaks, then yes, output power matters a great deal and having more than plenty isn't a bad idea.
    All YMMV.
    I have tubes up front with tons of power driving highly efficient speakers. i like dynamics and impact and i believe i get the best of both worlds with the combo. but that is just my perception...
    Aurender > Weiss > Audio Research > SoundField
    Oppo > Lexicon > Hegel > SoundField

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I have tubes up front with tons of power driving highly efficient speakers. i like dynamics and impact and i believe i get the best of both worlds with the combo. but that is just my perception...
    At the end of the day, all that matters is what YOU like.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    At the end of the day, all that matters is what YOU like.
    Yes, preference is absolute.

p.s. Edward and I have a mutual friend with 100+ db Avantgarde Trios, who dumped his low powered tube (SET?) amp for some 100w tube monoblocks...and hasn't looked back. Coincidentally, he's a classical guy like me.

Audioshark

Yes, preference is absolute.

p.s. Edward and I have a mutual friend with 100+ db Avantgarde Trios, who dumped his low powered tube (SET?) amp for some 100w tube monoblocks...and hasn't looked back. Coincidentally, he's a classical guy like me.
    True. He has an OTL from Berning and it never sounded right. I loaned him these BAT VK55SE’s I took on trade and he loved them. Those Russian tubes put off major heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

That's great to hear. Basically how my system setup. 55 watt kt88 pentode tube amps running 96 DB speakers. Since adding some of the best power conditioning I've found lately, my Dynamics and overall play Astound me. I don't see any need for 200 300 400 watts.

In first place, I believe that the question in the title was also about the possible sonic disadvantage of tube amplifiers.
    Many years ago I had one, but from a certain point on, I started looking for the realism of reproduction,

What I'm talking about here is the difference between a good hifi and something that sounds like real music.
    Yeah, that´s it! (*)

So I went in search of power, and turned to the SS.
    The truth is, I still remember a fantastic tone that i don´t know if i already reached again today.

… the ear converts distortion into tonality;
    Would that be a lie?
    Despite of the timbre accuracy, I do not regret the option since over the years, from what I have heard within reasonable values for my pocket, I always notice some distortion / compression in the sound of the valves. Without looking at the price limits, I can say that one of the best sounds I've heard to date, if not the best, was with valves - VTL Siegfried Series Monoblocks -

(*) Turn up the volume

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post

Would that be a lie?
    That the ear has this property has been understood for a decades. But I think the significance of it is not well understood.

Tubes just sound better to me. They have an organic quality that I don't get from solid state. As far as I'm concerned there are no disadvantages.
    Doug

Tubes sound better to me too. And a friend just called me from an audio show. He was listening to my speakers and said the sound was dry via the SS amp fronting them.

I don't find the maintenance to much to deal with for the sound they make. And as I noted before. Every dead unrepairable amp I have seen is SS. The tube amps only need minor repairs to get going again.

Well, even though I have the SIT3 SS amp but if I have to stick with one it would be my tube amps. I can’t even imagine myself without tube amps in my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

I just hate it when people get on here and spew facts. Makes me feel really dumb. Seriously, I am truly in awe of the depth of electronics knowledge of many people on this forum. I know that some of these people are professionals in the field but I wish I had just a basic technical knowledge of electronics/electricity.

OTOH, I do have a very sharp set of ears (if I do say so myself) and, as a long time musician, I know what they like. Maybe that's all that's really necessary? Is that the real bottom line? You know...if it sounds good it is good?

I guess you can have crappy build quality and/or reliability, but good sound? And you can have both with ss or tubes. I'll go with whatever my ears like first, tube or ss. Reliability/build quality are a close second to that.

FWIW, I recently auditioned a gorgeous new VAC 170i tube integrated. Superbly built and sublime sound. I auditioned it with 6 other incredible sounding amps. All the other amps were ss...Gryphon Diablo 300, NAIM Supernait 3, Luxman 509x, Simaudio 340ix, Hegel H390, and Pass Labs int 60. Out of that bunch I picked the D300 for my main listening room amp but I could be just as happy with the VAC. Beautiful sounding amp and a work of art. I would like to assemble a secondary listening area in our upstairs living room in a couple years. The VAC is definitely on my radar for an amp.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a round about way is, superb sound quality is my main concern when choosing an amp. Whether it's a tube or ss amp is secondary to sound quality. I don't choose an amp based solely on whether it's a tube or ss amp. But that's me and my ears. YMMV.

Yes, if it sounds good to you then it is good. There's nothing wrong with having a curiosity towards the technical side. Like any hobby perhaps the more you know and understand, the more you appreciate it. At the end of the day it's all about whether or not you're happy with what you have. Who really gives a shit what other people think? Besides, I have a feeling that many of these know-it-alls are just armchair internet experts.
    Doug

I don't know I have heard crappy workmanship sounds good. Maybe, but it won't be consistent. I have heard equipment that does not spec well sounds great, and vice versa. Some of the best on paper and a scope sound like junk.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Tubed Power Amplifiers. Are the disadvantages too great ?