Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Tubed Power Amplifiers. Are the disadvantages too great ?

Quote Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
    Again to the reliability issue - there's a recent Audiogon thread about a new Parasound JC-5 (solid state) that blew AND killed the owner's JBL speakers with it! I don't remember reading any recent "speaker killer" complaints about a tube amp, and any issues you do see are usually concerning Chinese-made tube amps. Modern tube amps from known reliable US/Euro/Japanese tube manufacturers are pretty rock solid. Add in modern auto-bias and protection circuity (which is truly wonderful), and it's even better. You have to replace tubes periodically, but when you factor in speaker safety I'm starting to feel like I trust tube amps MORE than solid state. A lot of the concern voiced about tube amp reliability is simply speculation, or based on poor choices (that $500 tube amp from amazon or aliexpress).
    You are correct pure Tube Amps seem to slide under the radar when it comes to DC destruction of Speakers /etc.

in my 70 years owning Gears the only "tubes installed Amp" I had that destroyed Speaker Drivers was a Brand new just unpacked Counterpoint

Pre and Hybrid Power Amp Combo which proceeded to smoke out the room with unabashed fury taking outa pair of Spender BC1's.

The only other time was mid 70's Amcron 150 Pre and Power dittoed a new pair of JBL Jubal L65's in a mini Chernobyl !

I definitely recommend avoidance of the Pre + Amp brands mentioned above for the sake of your sanity and wallet

End of Rant

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    The BOM on any SS amp watt for watt is significantly less than that for a toob amp ...!

Regards
    Respectfully, what does that have to do with my comment above from any practical (i.e., real world) perspective?

Also, with respect to your comment about the BOM, where is the data that supports this statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Respectfully, what does that have to do with my comment above from any practical (i.e., real world) perspective?

Also, with respect to your comment about the BOM, where is the data that supports this statement?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Its academic really , regarding your SS vs Toobs cost , if you try building both yourself , you will easily see the difference in build cost watt for watt , build , report ..!

Regards
    * An Audiophile is only as old as his latest Class D incarnation *

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    How about a link to that thread on Audiogon where a new JC5 amp blew up and took out a pair of JBL speakers? Just asking for a friend.
    After years of listening to clipping you are now pushing toobs are more reliable than SS ..!

* An Audiophile is only as old as his latest Class D incarnation *

take the best SS over best tube anyway of the week, not close IMO
    Burmester 911mk3 amplifier
    Burmester 077 pre-amp
    Burmester 217 turntable system
    Burmester 111 streamer
    Burmester 948 conditioner
    Master Artist Signature Full Range Towers
    Master Artist Signature Rack
    Espirit Eureka cables
    Silent Angel NX Network Switch

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    After years of listening to clipping you are now pushing toobs are more reliable than SS ..!

I never said that.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

You can't be serious.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Tubed Power Amplifiers. Are the disadvantages too great ?