Tubed Power Amplifiers. Are the disadvantages too great ? - Page 8
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tubed Power Amplifiers. Are the disadvantages too great ?

A GREAT tube amp/amps,advantages significantly out weigh any disadvantage.....IMO....Would not trade my SETs for ANY SS amp...at any cost...The sound is that good...!!!
    Listening Room: 25' L x 18' W x 23' H..system on the long wall
    Speakers: Tidal 'Contriva Diacera-SE
    Amps: Chalice Audio 'Grail' SET mono blocks with Psvane WE 845 / 300b tubes
    Source: Lumin A-1 Network Music Player with upgraded PSU
    HighFidelity MC-1 Pro Helix conditioner
    Cables:
    Silent Source 'Reference' RCA Interconnects
    Cerious Technology CT Matrix speaker cables
    Silent Source 'Reference' Power Cords x 2
    Core Technology CPT E-300 Power Cord x 1
    Revelation Audio Cat 8+ Ethernet Cable

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2
    GigaFoil v4 inline filter / Keces PSU / WireWorld 'Starlight'
    Ethernet cable

Tweaks:
    Stillpoints Ultra SS under amps
    EVP HDR isolators 2" x 8...under my Lumin A1 and PSU
    EVP HDR isolators 4" x 16..under my Tidal speakers and my REL 212 SE subs

Post Thanks / Like

Ha AJ. I feel pretty slow.

Post Thanks / Like

But there are a few mavericks out there that push the state of the art. One is pretty well known- Nelson Pass. And now that class D has been around a while, there appear to be a few players that are making amps that are better than the usual tripe- that have musical qualities. Nelson is applying engineering to make the amp work according to what we know about human hearing perceptual rules rather than designing the stuff to look good on paper. As a result he makes some of the more musical solid state amps around. IMO we need more of that.[/QUOTE]

Atmasphere, Why Class D? I am sort of interested in class D. I bought that super inexpensive Allo Volt +D amp. It's dead quiet in my system. Not a sound from it or my speakers. Every other Tube or class AB SS amp I have had hums on my rack and through my speakers. I am suspect its an issue with the output transformers picking up something and amplifying it. My little class D amp seems to have no transformers in it.

Do your amps have an input transformer. I know they don't have output transformers. Are your amps more resistant to humming issues?
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure anymore where this thread is heading...or maybe there's actually no longer any direction.

Regardless, I think it's accurate to say that we have really excellent tube and SS amps today that can meet a wide set of customer's requirements for performance and create engaging musical experiences.

5. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post

Atmasphere, Why Class D? I am sort of interested in class D. I bought that super inexpensive Allo Volt +D amp. It's dead quiet in my system. Not a sound from it or my speakers. Every other Tube or class AB SS amp I have had hums on my rack and through my speakers. I am suspect its an issue with the output transformers picking up something and amplifying it. My little class D amp seems to have no transformers in it.
    The hum is probably due to poor grounding schemes in the prior designs. That sort of thing is very common in high end audio. We have direct-coupled inputs. Occasionally we also run into hum issues- but in dealing with them we often find that something in the system was defeating the grounding scheme. We support the balanced line standard- AES48, which is pretty specific about grounding.

As to class D, initially it seemed about lower power consumption which it why its very practical in smartphones. But it can also be about quality if the designer recognizes what is important in the final design. The criteria are different, since class D lacks many of the traditional issues and instead has issues associated with switching. But if they are dealt with correctly the result can be quite musical.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I have a slight preference for SS, sonics are the bottom line for me. If it sounds good, it is good. Doesn't matter whether it's tubes or SS. In January I'll be taking delivery of a Gryphon Diablo D300 for my downstairs primary listening room. But I also had the opportunity to audition a VAC 170i all tube integrated amp that I would be perfectly satisfied with. Outstanding amp. Beautifully built. I can easily see why some might prefer it to the D300. But my personal preference and the sound my ears liked most was the D300. Doesn't mean it was better than the VAC, just different. I'm just not sure I want to mess with tubes. But that's me and my particular application. YMMV.

However, I definitely could see where I might want the VAC for a secondary system (my upstairs living room) and for a different sound. I might not be going through tubes as much since it would be a secondary listening room and not used as much as my primary listening room. My 2 cents.

8. Likes Randy Myers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is something in the tube sound for most music except electronic and electronic dance music. You just need solid state for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Note HiFi Reviews View Post
    There is something in the tube sound for most music except electronic and electronic dance music. You just need solid state for that.
    why ??
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    why ??
    Because he said so?
    VPI Avenger with 12" 3D arm, Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Because he said so?
    well that would be typical 'audiophile response' ........... seriously though, I am curious as to why he made the statement
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast