Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What other Speakers for Luxman besides Harbeth?

Lots of chat about Amps, wattage, sensitivity, ohms

It seems Harbeth is generally a recommended and good match with Luxman.

I am still planning to order a Luxman 505uxII in December and wondering what other speakers are a good match. In the mean time, I will try matching it with my current speakers, Clearfield Continentals, Dynaudio 82s, and the ones that will probably sound the best but least expensive, JM Labs Tantal 509s.

I have seen Tekton, Zu, Omega and a few others mentioned. Looking for $5K and under suggestions.

I know Mike suggests the model a few steps up from the 505, but reading between the lines, the 100wpc (actually 115) should be enough for many other speakers with decent efficiency.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Audioshark

Re: What other Speakers for Luxman besides Harbeth?

Fyne and Luxman is good. B&W and Luxman is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Lu Kang Audio..... These sounding pretty darn good @ RMAF.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

The new JBL L100 sounds really good, it has an open and lively sound character.

I never could get my Zu to play very low, a sub would be a must and that super tweeter became too much for me even with my CJ gear. I had a Soul Super Fly. Super low distortion, they played louder than I could stand and remain clear as can be.

I wouldn't think your 82's would present much of a problem.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Reynaud should work well with Luxman. Bob Neill prefers them with Blue Circle but Gilbert shut that company down last year. They have several models that should work under your limit. I run the Abscissa Jubilee with the Audia Flight FL Three S integrated with similar specs.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Reynaud should work well with Luxman. Bob Neill prefers them with Blue Circle but Gilbert shut that company down last year. They have several models that should work under your limit. I run the Abscissa Jubilee with the Audia Flight FL Three S integrated with similar specs.
    i have the JMR Offrande Supreme V2’s and they are excellent, super-imagers.

I agree Rob. I owned Offrande V3's from 2003-2007 which were the pair that Bob reviewed and that were shipped direct from the US distributor at the time and purchased through Anthony Perrotta. When I contacted Bob back in the Spring it was my intention to buy that last pair of Offrande's ever made that were in the possession of the Canadian distributor. From our conversations he convinced me to try the new Abscissa Jubilee instead and I have not been disappointed. They take up the same floor space as the Offrande's with their integrated stands and give you more cabinet volume plus a revised AMT tweeter.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Do most Harbeth owners listen to mostly Vocalists and very minimal Instruments?

I have been scouring Youtube for Luxman and or Harbeth Demo vids and it's like Nobody listens to a full band of Electric Music.
    All I find is Acoustic Guitar, Vocals and Piano, or Vocals and very little actual music.

Will Harbeths play Rock, Jazz, Fusion as well as it does for Vocals.

Seems like only a small % of Audiophiles actually listen to Music as opposed to Female Vocals, or maybe just most Demos because they are not very taxing of any speaker or amp.

Either way, it doesn't do a potential customer any good if we can't hear some Real Music. (I know Mike posted a few vids of systems playing actual music a few shows ago, but that is far from the norm)

Just because a speaker can playback Adelle doesnt mean it will excel playing Voodoo Chile or Bruford or King Crimson. Not everyone listens to Adelle.

Ah just venting from frustration as I have nowhere to Demo Harbeths and was hoping for more on Youtube.

Just emailed Ultra Systems, part of the Cable Company in New Hope PA to see if they have anything to demo. Next closest is Delaware, Overture.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Depends on the model Brian. From my experience, the SHL5+ can be quite dynamic as well as the 40.2. The 30.2s I prefer for Jazz, Blue Grass, some light classical (a wonderful speaker) but not quite for rock. All of these would do a nice job with Eva, Diana, Norah, Melody, Allison....

BTW, as much as I like Adelle, I have yet to hear a good quality recording of her music, unfortunately.

PS - Cheap flight from PA to Tampa and visit Mike at Suncoast in Sarasota. He has them in the showroom with Luxman!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

I admit I'm a fan of super-efficient speakers (Klipsch Heritage), and I've paired my 509X with La Scala IIs, Heresy IIIs, and Monitor Audio Gold 200s. For rock and roll like you're describing, the Heresy IIIs paired with an excellent subwoofer would be a perfect match and you're all-in at $5K for both. I am not as much a fan of the Forte IIIs, I did not find them as musically engaging as either the La Scala IIs or Heresy IIIs. My Monitor Audio Gold 200s (also right at your price range, sans subwoofer) sound great with the 509X as well, but they are much less efficient and therefore I think suffer a bit in speed and microdynamics. They are more resolving than the Heresy IIIs but less so than the La Scala IIs.

Here's a short video of the 509X and Klipsch La Scala IIs (with the Rhumba Extreme) - while not Led Zeppelin, it's a Manu Katché drum solo from Dominic Miller's latest release, and I think it's a good demo of the pairing.

https://jsqt.smugmug.com/Audio-Video...DG/i-LdMMHpM/A
    PRIMARY 2 CH SYSTEM: Backert Labs Rhythm 1.3; Parasound JC3+ Phono pre; Luxman M900u; Pure Fidelity Harmony with Origin Live Illustrious tonearm and PF Stratos cart; Naim NDX 2; Naim 555PS; Innuos Zen MK III (Roon Core); EtherRegen; Volti Audio Rivals; JL Audio e112 (2); Transparent Super Speaker Cables; Transparent Super interconnects; Transparent Premium & High Performance power cables; Naim Fraim; Stillpoints Ultra SS; Symposium Ultra platforms; IsoTek EVO3 Sigmas conditioner; GIK Acoustics absorption and diffusion panels

Did you check the Lu Kang out?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post

I have been scouring Youtube for Luxman and or Harbeth Demo vids and it's like Nobody listens to a full band of Electric Music.
    All I find is Acoustic Guitar, Vocals and Piano, or Vocals and very little actual music.

Seems like only a small % of Audiophiles actually listen to Music as opposed to Female Vocals, or maybe just most Demos because they are not very taxing of any speaker or amp.

Either way, it doesn't do a potential customer any good if we can't hear some Real Music. (I know Mike posted a few vids of systems playing actual music a few shows ago, but that is far from the norm)

Just because a speaker can playback Adelle doesnt mean it will excel playing Voodoo Chile or Bruford or King Crimson. Not everyone listens to Adelle.

Ah just venting from frustration as I have nowhere to Demo Harbeths and was hoping for more on Youtube.

Just emailed Ultra Systems, part of the Cable Company in New Hope PA to see if they have anything to demo. Next closest is Delaware, Overture.
    So we had harbeth shl5plus here not too long ago , my son who loves rock music called them boring beths or trash beths as they did not do that deep rock that he liked , you know that drop thing when arnaud van beuren does his thing . we replaced them with tannoy eaton legacy , same size speaker and it DOES do rock BIG time . tremendous bass and very non fatiguing . As much as i love the shl5plus they don`t do rock like tannoys !
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Audioshark

See post above. When I set up the Harbeth’s, rock isn’t what comes to mind to really show them off. They are superb with acoustic guitar, piano, female vocals. I do have a client who enjoys them with rock however. So What other Speakers for Luxman besides Harbeth?

For more rocking, check out Fyne. Dynamic and great tight bass.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I would love to hear the Luxman with my PMC twenty5 23's.....
    McIntosh - PMC - Aurender - Kimber Kable - WW - Core Audio Designs

I found a place under 2 hours drive that has Luxman, Harbeth and ProAc. I plan to pay them a visit in the next month or 2. BEK Audio in Allentown PA.

After talking to Bob Backert and mentioning my plan to purchase the Luxman 505, he had 2 comments.
    1- Why don't you just buy a Rhumba?
    2- You will be giving something up leaving the VAC pre behind for the Luxman.

Although my VAC is 30 years old, and now has some odd staticky sound you can hear when no music is being played (may be the old tube sockets), the sound is still great with both my Stratos Amp and my (getting repaired by Backert) Counterpoint Amp, also 30 years old.

I am really apprehensive to make the change only to find out after the fact that I lose SQ as opposed to gaining it. The place told me to bring my Gear to compare, but pulling it all out of the rack and humping it with me is not too practical. The plan I came up with, is to put my JM Labs bookshelf speakers in my main system and get a good listen and feel for the sound with my VAC in place, then take the Speakers with me to demo the Luxman. Obviously there will be room differences but I should at least be able to get an idea whether I like what the Luxman does, or if I just keep using the VAC until it dies. It is currently all stock, but I know Bob Backert would love to Mod it for me. He currently has my Counterpoint in his shop to repair for me in his available time.

I really want all the features of a new Integrated, but I don't want to go backwards in SQ.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Audioshark

A new i170iQ is really the answer. You retain that great VAC sound and gain all the modern technology, such as the iQ auto bias.

Brian, when it became apparent I was simply not going to find a dealer that stocked Harbeth speakers and the amps I was interested in without traveling I finally bit the bullet and booked a one day visit to Suncoast Audio. It was the best thing I could've done to answer all my questions. I traveled from Iowa to Sarasota. I wouldn't think Bucks County, PA would be much farther. Highly recommend Suncoast Audio.

Tom

Tom -

Glad it worked out. Mike has an excellent selection of equipment. Moreover, since he works on an appointment basis, the entire store (3 listening rooms) is practically available for the visiting customer. Lastly, there is no sales pressure but honest and unbiased perspectives.

Money and time well spent. If one is going to spend thousands of $ for stereo equipment and, specially speakers, spending a few hundred $ for a short trip to audition is well worth the investment.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Tom -

Glad it worked out. Mike has an excellent selection of equipment. Moreover, since he works on an appointment basis, the entire store (3 listening rooms) is practically available for the visiting customer. Lastly, there is no sales pressure but honest and unbiased perspectives.

Money and time well spent. If one is going to spend thousands of $ for stereo equipment and, specially speakers, spending a few hundred $ for a short trip to audition is well worth the investment.

Agree 100%!!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What other Speakers for Luxman besides Harbeth?