Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rmaf - 2019

Re: Rmaf - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Technics really sounded good and believe this to be a good option when performance doesn’t mean crazy prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Their Streamer/DAC/SACD player for 2,5K interests me (for a second system).
    Was it playing when you were in the room?
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Their Streamer/DAC/SACD player for 2,5K interests me (for a second system).
    Was it playing when you were in the room?
    Yes, and I was impressed with it.

Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I forgot to mention -- the Magico M2 sounded really good but it was not a proper audition as it was in the synergistic Research room where Ted Denney was doing his usual thing. However, it was enough to conclude that it is a special speaker.
    RMAF was the official debut of the Fyne audio speakers in North America.

Anshul

New to the forum and woah! Looks like I need to visit me some audio shows! Cool gear.
    KrazyK

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything."
    Plato

Welcome KrazyK!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

I just got back from Denver late last night, so I am late to the party.

There were several excellent sounding rooms but my son and I felt that there were many more poor sounding rooms and poor music choices.

Our top rooms-

Boulder room with the Vienna Acoustics speakers (only $16K pr) and 6 REL subs-The sound was dynamic, totally non-fatiguing, detailed but not overly so. It had just a hint of warmth. Textures were great.

McIntosh room sounded great on day 2 of the show with their XRT2.1 speakers

YG and VTL

Dali Epcon 8 and Ayre- This system was very musical and did everything right.

Wharfedale with their new Evo 4.4 speaker which is due to be released. It was paired with Primare electronics. It is a $2500 floor stander that was fabulous sounding. It easily compares well with speakers selling in the $4K-$5K range. We walked into the room and the bass was deep, tight and musical. We looked for subwoofers because we could not believe how good the bass sounded. It was nice to see a budget company have such good sound.

The Magico Classe room sounded very good.

Elac sounded great. They had their Carina bookshelves for $1300 which sounded fabulous. They also had a new Debut series speaker, an upgrade to the B6.2 called the 6.2BR I believe. It cost $500 and it is a big upgrade in sound compared to the 6.2's which are still available and sound very good in their own right. They had it paired with their small $799 integrated amp, dac and streamer. The detail was excellent and both speakers sounded great. If I wanted to get an extreme budget system, this would be it. We also got to meet and speak with Andrew Jones. He was very personable.

The Salk speaker room sounded good not great. He had a $9K speaker paired with all Schiit gear. He used 2 Vidar amps as monoblocks. The preamp was the Frey S and the DAC was the new Bifrost True Multibit with their new Unison usb section. The sound was surprisingly good but those speakers needed top end gear to sound their best.

Another room that sounded good was the Fyne Audio room and their 702 speakers ($9Kpr). They are just being released in the US and they are looking for dealers. These are the guys that broke away from Tannoy. Great guys to talk to with their Scottish accents and sense of humor. The speaks use similar tech to Tannoy but do things that they could not do at Tannoy. The speakers had no hours on them on day 1 and they sounded just ok. They stated the speakers need 300 hours of breakin. So we came back for a listen on day 2 since the speakers had been running constantly for over 24 hours. What a difference a day makes. The sound stage was huge and the sweet spot was very wide. Off axis listening sounded like you were sitting in the center. They were musical, textured and layered with deep tight bass. No fatigue at all. Interestingly they had them hooked up to a Rega integrated amp and an oppo player. I would have loved to hear them with much better gear and fully broken in. These could be my next pair of speakers. The fit and finish was top notch.

The Alsyvox full ribbon speaker from Italy was another very good sounding room.

Sanders electrostats sounded good not great but they were in a small room which was not ideal for them.

The Bryston room with their Model T speakers sounded very good. The speakers had a slightly darker sound but they were very musical and there was no fatigue.

The big disappointment was the Vinni Rossi room. He had his new integrated paired with speakers by possibly OLM, a company I have never heard of. I do not believe they were OHM. The sound was bright and thin.

The Nola room was also disappointing. The speakers would sound sharp and peaky on certain notes.

One last thing. I have decided that I do not like Moon gear. Every room that used it sounded just ok to me. Maybe it was the set up but there was something about the sound that did not appeal to me.

Whoops! I forgot to mention Klipsch. Both of their rooms sounded very good. The Cornwalls especially.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Anyone hear these Endows?
    Certainly an interesting look!

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post

They were in my store. The designer bought an amp from me. Real nice folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I have seen a couple threads elsewhere and the Spanish planer speakers were considered among the best of show. Did you like them?
    Main System: Analog - Linn LP12, Origin Live DC motor and Controller, SME V arm, Benz Ruby H 2 cartridge, Wright Sound preamp. Digital - Intel NUC I-7, 16 gig ram, Jriver media center 24, Wyrd4 Sound 2V2 SE Dac, Fathom Hard Drives.
    H-Cat Version 9 preamp, ARC Reference 75 amp, Custom line source speakers - 10 SB Acoustics midwoofers, 10 Fountek ribbon tweeters. JL Audio Fathom f112 Subs
    Wire - T G Audio, Shunyata, Synergistic Research , Audioquest, Lewis silver foil, Duelund, Transparent.

No MBL at this event? Curious

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post

Yes and we were not impressed.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    No MBL at this event? Curious
    Not that I seen

Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Mike.

what were the feet bypassed with on the VPI?
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Hey Mike.

Not sure.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Hey Mike.

They look like Nordost Sort Fut.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    They look like Nordost Sort Fut.
    Agreed. I've not seen Nordost Sort Füt used under a turntable before. Usually they are located under loudspeakers or an equipment rack.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Agreed. I've not seen Nordost Sort Füt used under a turntable before. Usually they are located under loudspeakers or an equipment rack.
    Yes they are the Sort Fut - I never have either, and did not notice this.

Either way it didn’t matter as that system was stunning on every front!

Thanks for the show report and photos guys! I know it’s a lot of work to do it.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Re: the Endow speakers - Heard them. Didn't particularly like them. It's possible that their appearance affected my perception. They just sounded kind of dull and uninvolving.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    It kind of looks like the feet of the VPI don’t fit on the rack which may be why they used the cones.

Nordost did the same thing at Axpona in the VTL, Stenheim, Nordost room where they had a VPI Avenger on Sort Fut. These feet are designed to transmit vibrations out of the component, which makes their use under a turntable a reasonable application of the technology I would think.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

For me the standout room was the In Living Stereo room on the 5th floor. They were using the Mactone 120 power amp, Mactone XX-7000 preamp, Mactone XP-305 phono pre amp, Clearaudio Innovation Compact turntable and Tracer tonearm with Trenner & Friedl Osiris speakers. Warm, involving and rich sounding. The presentation was totally immersive. I found myself relaxing and just listening. No fatigue at all. Just glorious music. Well done, guys.

Rmaf - 2019

+1 on the Elac Carina's, Larry.

I too really enjoyed what was being presented in their room. When I was walking by, I heard Yello's La Habenera playing at a good volume and had to see what/who was producing it. The room was utterly packed so I didn't get a sitting position, however the speakers sounded great while standing at the rear so I can only imagine they'd be wonderful if you were actually sitting in the sweet spot or spots.

Amazing little speakers those Carina's.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by garyalex View Post
    Re: the Endow speakers - Heard them. Didn't particularly like them. It's possible that their appearance affected my perception.
    The rather unusual appearance is what caught my eye, would like to hear them myself with some familiar tracks.
    Seems it was their first show also, can't help but wonder if that inexperience lead to a non-optimum setup. Shows can do that.
    Btww, thanks to all for comments, seems like overall, show was a success.

cheers,

AJ

I like Robert Harley's description of a pair of the Wilson WatchDog subwoofers:

".... This show the DAW was demonstrated with a pair of Wilson Watchdog subwoofers and Wilson’s new outboard crossover. Throughout the show they did comparisons with and without the subwoofers engaged, with surprising results. Adding the subwoofer affected the entire spectrum, with greater spaciousness along with higher resolution of midrange detail."
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Rmaf - 2019