Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Better sound quality from Lumin app vs Roon?

I stream music running Roon core on my Dell server/SSD using ethernet connection to my new Teac 505 streamer/DAC. I also install Minimserver on the Dell, both Roon and Lumin app are on my Ipad.
    I can play the same recording using Roon app and then switch to Lumin app for SQ comparison.
    SQ from Roon: a bit polite, warmer balance, smooth sounding, analog like. But not as detail or robust as I would like; less fatigue in long listening session.
    SQ from Lumin: more dynamic and detail, a bit louder (could be volume level were set higher than as in Roon), more air around instrument, not as smooth, sometime a bit bright.
    They are both very good, I still need to decide what I like more. Have you auditioned both under your same system configuration, which one's better?
    Thanks

Super Moderator

Re: Better sound quality from Lumin app vs Roon?

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

If you have not burned-in your new NT-505 yet, you may turn on repeat and let it play 7x24.

When doing A/B comparison, for playing from MinimServer it's best to (temporarily) disable Roon Ready.

You may also disable Spotify Connect and Lumin Streaming (AirPlay) if these features are not used.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I was told recently that Linux based servers are brighter sounding than Windows based servers. I think Lumin is Linux based? Your findings would seem to fit in with this statement.

It makes me re-think what i need to get as i like a richer, warmer, non-fatiguing sound. Does anyone know which servers are based on which system?

I'm thinking of Aurender, Lumin (correct me if i was wrong), Sooloos (Linux i believe), Wadax, CH Precision, Lampizator, Innuos, DCS, any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Howiebrou View Post
    I was told recently that Linux based servers are brighter sounding than Windows based servers. I think Lumin is Linux based? Your findings would seem to fit in with this statement.

It makes me re-think what i need to get as i like a richer, warmer, non-fatiguing sound. Does anyone know which servers are based on which system?

I'm thinking of Aurender, Lumin (correct me if i was wrong), Sooloos (Linux i believe), Wadax, CH Precision, Lampizator, Innuos, DCS, any others?

Auralic, Merging Nadac,...
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

I bought a T-2 this week that I absolutely love (Thanks you Peter) for a second system. I call this my pure tone system, single driver speakers, OTL amp, Auditorium and vintage WE cables. I don't think my Lumin is quite broken in but I preferred Roon at this point as well with this equipment. It's pretty close though.

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Auralic, Merging Nadac,...
    Thanks Bart. Are they windows based?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ihmeyers View Post
    I bought a T-2 this week that I absolutely love (Thanks you Peter) for a second system. I call this my pure tone system, single driver speakers, OTL amp, Auditorium and vintage WE cables. I don't think my Lumin is quite broken in but I preferred Roon at this point as well with this equipment. It's pretty close though.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Don't want to hijack this; the question is related.

The T2 is my first server. I initially installed it using an old CAT (6?) cable I had sitting around. I ordered a Supra cable because the price seemed reasonable and the reviews were all good. It came today and I hooked it up but it sounds much worse than the generic CAT cable it replaced.

Do CAT cables need to break-in? It would make sense to me that they would as other digital cables USB, digital interconnects, etc do. I thought I'd ask people that have much more experience with servers than I do.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ihmeyers View Post
    Don't want to hijack this; the question is related.

The T2 is my first server. I initially installed it using an old CAT (6?) cable I had sitting around. I ordered a Supra cable because the price seemed reasonable and the reviews were all good. It came today and I hooked it up but it sounds much worse than the generic CAT cable it replaced.
    Please look at the connectors of your generic CAT6 and the Supra. Is either of them shielded with a metal connector?
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Please look at the connectors of your generic CAT6 and the Supra. Is either of them shielded with a metal connector?
    Thanks Peter. The Supra IS shielded. I didn't realize that until I bought it. There were so many positive audiophile comments I figured I would give it a shot. Please see the pictures attached. I assume the shielding is a problem.

Attached Images Attached Images

As I expected. Some manufacturers and I recommend unshielded network cable to be used for audio purpose. The reason is that the metal connectors may connect the ground between the network switch/router and the audio device, so ground noise (and/or ground loop) from the upstream may affect the downstream equipment. To make things worse, on some network switches the metal connector is actually shared with other network ports, so ground noise from other unrelated network devices will degrade your SQ too. This is the theory, but from time to time I see audiophiles preferring shielded network cable.

Only if you're not going to return the newly purchased cable, you may do this experiment to verify whether the above theory is relevant to your setup or not. Simply use a tape to wrap the network connector to be inserted in the Lumin. If done properly this floating shield should break the unwanted ground connection between the switch/router and the Lumin. See if this restores the SQ to be at least on par with the generic CAT6.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I will try to do that Peter, thank you. I think it will be a tight fit once I wrap the connector in tape. It was only $80, not all the money in the world but I can't understand why it was so highly reviewed when it's got what sounds like a significant design flaw.

Peter

I don't know if there is something different about the T2 but I have used the same Supra cable with the NT-505, Aries G1 and the Bridge II with no grounding issues in two separate system locations.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

This is setup dependent - the model of the network switch / router / modem, the kind of power supplies for them, whether LPS are used, etc. According to marketing materials, certain audiophile switches are supposed to address these issues.

For Lumin X1, we use fiber isolation.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I stream TIDAL premium service directly to my Lumin D2 player. The sound quality is very good however a bit bright and fatiguing to my ears for most of the content that I play. I prefer a warmer sound with more low end weight, but unfortunately neither the Lumin or my pre-amplifier have tone control adjustments.

I am considering the addition of Roon to my setup because I understand the software provides additional signal processing in the form of a parametric equalizer .

Feedback from others that have a Roon / Lumin setup would be appreciated. In general does Roon offer sound quality benefits over streaming directly to Lumin? Are Roon's signal processing and tone control features an effective solution to tame a bright sound without sacrifice of sound quality? Is there another solution that I may want to consider?

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum

NAD C 658 streamer.

Or you could just try Qobuz for the free trial and see if that helps as it's sound is much more balanced than Tidal which I have always found to have an upper mid-range glare. The D2 is far from a "bright" component with it's Wolfson dac chip so the sound you are hearing is from Tidal or another component in your chain.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Or you could just try Qobuz for the free trial and see if that helps as it's sound is much more balanced than Tidal which I have always found to have an upper mid-range glare. The D2 is far from a "bright" component with it's Wolfson dac chip so the sound you are hearing is from Tidal or another component in your chain.
    Jack, thanks for your response. I will trial Qobuz and see if the SQ is preferable over Tidal.

I kept my Tidal subscription because our daughter still uses it but every time I switch over from Qobuz to try something I hear the same things you hear and the wife hears it too. Unfortunately they have some things on small independent labels that Qobuz doesn't but the gap is closing rapidly and in some categories they have a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by glnkol View Post
    I stream TIDAL premium service directly to my Lumin D2 player. The sound quality is very good however a bit bright and fatiguing to my ears for most of the content that I play.
    Please burn in the D2 7x24 for several weeks by repeat playback. Turn off the amp if necessary, but the cable s must be remain connected.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Better sound quality from Lumin app vs Roon?