Better sound quality from Lumin app vs Roon? - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Better sound quality from Lumin app vs Roon?

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Please look at the connectors of your generic CAT6 and the Supra. Is either of them shielded with a metal connector?
    Thanks Peter. The Supra IS shielded. I didn't realize that until I bought it. There were so many positive audiophile comments I figured I would give it a shot. Please see the pictures attached. I assume the shielding is a problem.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

As I expected. Some manufacturers and I recommend unshielded network cable to be used for audio purpose. The reason is that the metal connectors may connect the ground between the network switch/router and the audio device, so ground noise (and/or ground loop) from the upstream may affect the downstream equipment. To make things worse, on some network switches the metal connector is actually shared with other network ports, so ground noise from other unrelated network devices will degrade your SQ too. This is the theory, but from time to time I see audiophiles preferring shielded network cable.

Only if you're not going to return the newly purchased cable, you may do this experiment to verify whether the above theory is relevant to your setup or not. Simply use a tape to wrap the network connector to be inserted in the Lumin. If done properly this floating shield should break the unwanted ground connection between the switch/router and the Lumin. See if this restores the SQ to be at least on par with the generic CAT6.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Post Thanks / Like

I will try to do that Peter, thank you. I think it will be a tight fit once I wrap the connector in tape. It was only $80, not all the money in the world but I can't understand why it was so highly reviewed when it's got what sounds like a significant design flaw.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter

I don't know if there is something different about the T2 but I have used the same Supra cable with the NT-505, Aries G1 and the Bridge II with no grounding issues in two separate system locations.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Auralic Aries G1, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1 , Verity Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Teac NT-505, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Mivera PurePower, Spatial M3TM, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

This is setup dependent - the model of the network switch / router / modem, the kind of power supplies for them, whether LPS are used, etc. According to marketing materials, certain audiophile switches are supposed to address these issues.

For Lumin X1, we use fiber isolation.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2