Snell Type E/III
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

Snell Type E/III

I started my build with the intent to create a system around my Snell Type E/III speakers and when I dug these out 5 years ago, I realized I had to have them re-coned. I paid about $1200 for the pair around Ď92 from a local stereo shop when I lived in Austin Texas after the military and ran them with a Carver system then an Adcom system.

While waiting for the Snell speakers to be re-coned I went off in another direction and built a McIntosh / Focal system then a full system change ending up to where I am at today.

The Snells are serving duty in my gym on a 25 year old Denon Integrated and curious on how these would sound in my main system. So today I hooked these up to the 2 Channel system and even made a set of jumpers (see photo) to see what they could do. I knew it would not even be a contest, but what the heck.

My Wilsonís are about 40X the cost of the Snells, and the speaker cables are at least 15X, and all other parts of the system are about 250X. I realize itís not about price as there are many items that punch way above their weight.

The Snells at first made the music sound like it was coming from an empty can, it was horrible. I did allow some patience and they did settle a bit in a short amount of time. After I ran a few test tracks they did sound better, the mid range had some shine, but there was no low end to speak of, and the upper range sounded hot, and not sure if it was the rear tweeter. In all fairness I did not spend any real time placing them or playing with the rear tweeter setting.

Takeaway: While they sounded better after warming up, they just didnít have it, and perhaps better left in the past.

Speakers are vital, and IMO make the system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi S with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan DíAgostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2: power, interconnects & speaker cables | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect cables
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Keces P3 & P8 | Furutech GTX D NSF package | Dedicated 20 amp with Surge Guard
    Foundation: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4

2. Thanks Odyssey thanked for this post
    Likes Ritmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Snell Type E/III

Vintage. I have a pair of Snell Type Bs that i ran with NAD and Adcom 565s (the powerful monoblocks). A lot of sound but couldn't fill my larger room now. Sometimes i wonder what they would sound like if i hooked them up again....
    Aurender N100H > Cary DAC 200ts > Audio Research Ref 6
    SoundField 1812 Quintessential
    Additional Rhythmik 15s for the neighbors....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Vintage. I have a pair of Snell Type Bs that i ran with NAD and Adcom 565s (the powerful monoblocks). A lot of sound but couldn't fill my larger room now. Sometimes i wonder what they would sound like if i hooked them up again....
    If you still have them, itís a flash of nostalgia along with being appreciative on what you have today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi S with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan DíAgostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2: power, interconnects & speaker cables | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect cables
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Keces P3 & P8 | Furutech GTX D NSF package | Dedicated 20 amp with Surge Guard
    Foundation: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4

5. Likes Edward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread brings good memories. I was a fan of Snell in the 1980s. Actually, I thought the model E was terrific at the time.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, I ran Snell Type A/II's for many years bi-amped using the Snell active crossover.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Auralic Aries G1, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1 , Verity Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Teac NT-505, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Mivera PurePower, Spatial M3TM, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

I think some things are good in a certain context and time. Not only the technology has evolving but also our level of demand.
    A good exercise to put things in the right perspective.

I liked.