Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Another reason to not stream

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Sort of like buying CDs from artists you heard on the radio.
    Yes! I love the Shazam App - as it helps me identify the artist and song - so I can go out and buy the CD.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Yes! I love the Shazam App - as it helps me identify the artist and song - so I can go out and buy the CD.
    Awesome!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sort of like buying CDs from artists you heard on the radio.
    Without the streaming services the only way I would hear new music would be on TV or at a concert. I can’t remember the last time I listened to a music station on the radio.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

I actually do listen to radio once in a while. I recently came across a good deal on an older McIntosh tuner and it actually sounds much better then a much newer model I had a while back. Surprising good sounding!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sounds like the tone has changed although the thread is still titled “another reason to not stream”.

About the streaming service, it is here to stay since too many people love it, audiophiles and non-audiophiles alike. The market will correct and dictate what survives and what doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I do not disagree... I just want to make sure people support the musicians also.
    So you "just want to make sure people support the musicians also" eh? Who appointed you as the AS Virtue Signaler? i asked you this before; are you just going to try and guilt people on AS that PAY to stream music or are you going to take your campaign to the world?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Sounds like the tone has changed although the thread is still titled “another reason to not stream”.

About the streaming service, it is here to stay since too many people love it, audiophiles and non-audiophiles alike. The market will correct and dictate what survives and what doesn’t.
    Yeah, we never got the original reasons for why we shouldn't stream from Mr. Virtue Signaler. We just got the guilt trip.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Audioshark

Do artists have a gun to their heads to allow their music on streaming services? I know many artists who do not allow their music on streaming services: Garth Brooks as one example. Others are very selective on which albums can and cannot appear. The labels obviously have an influence, but if an artist truly was against streaming, they would simply not allow it. But they don’t.

Like I said earlier, if someone feels buying more music supports the artists, than get a turntable and buy records. Unlike CD’s and digital files which can be copied, vinyl is the surest way you are supporting the artists. And remember, your turntable will never require a USB reclocker.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Vinyl, tubes and horns! Enough said. Right Mike?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

If you really want to support an artist, just send them a check and stream away guilt-free.
    Gary
    Main: Lumin A1, Accuphase E-650, Tannoy Canterbury GR, Shunyata, Audience
    Secondary: Lumin M1, Linton Heritage, Shunyata, Audience

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Do artists have a gun to their heads to allow their music on streaming services? I know many artists who do not allow their music on streaming services: Garth Brooks as one example.
    Not true anymore Mike, Garth is in agreement with Amazon to stream.

Garth Brooks has entered in an exclusive online streaming agreement with Amazon. A selection of Garth Brooks' music is finally available for streaming exclusively on Amazon Music Unlimited, the digital music service launched last week by the online retail giant.Oct 19, 2016

Buy the vinyl and the CD's is the only real way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Not true anymore Mike, Garth is in agreement with Amazon to stream.

Garth Brooks has entered in an exclusive online streaming agreement with Amazon. A selection of Garth Brooks' music is finally available for streaming exclusively on Amazon Music Unlimited, the digital music service launched last week by the online retail giant.Oct 19, 2016

Buy the vinyl and the CD's is the only real way.
    Ah! Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Right on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metallica is still not on Tidal, except that thing they did with Lou Reed. I'm sure there are many. Tool just recently relented since they released a new album after 13 years.

If the artists are really unhappy all they have to do is band together and withdraw their music. Well, probably when contracts end,

I'm guilty, I can't remember when I bought my last CD. However, I have only 1500 and it's nice to not have to stress where I will park further discs. I'm sort of eating crow as there are threads here where I vowed to remain a disc spinner. My circumstances are unusual though, the incentive of being able to use an iPad and read titles and other information quickly is a great benefit. My vision don't allow me to do that with discs any more and it takes a long time to use an app on my phone to read something like a CD with graphics and such.

However, if I find a title I think I will listen to again, I just add it to my library. If something happened that I couldn't/wouldn't use Tidal, then I'd have to buy those CD's I really like and rip them. I really prefer to own my back up opposed to downloading.

In short, I think it would be reduntant to buy a CD when I can just add it to my library. The CD may never get used. Sorry, my conscience hasn't really bugged me that much. It's all legal. I can honestly say I never downloaded music for free, as in ripping it off.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Ahhh, Joe, do you even own a turntable at this point ?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Roon and Tidal have changed everything for me. While I am not ready to get rid of all my cd’s in most cases the streaming versions sound as good, sometimes better. This is the situation where streaming quality is up there with cd’s however the user experience of roon with the touch screen iPad is so appealing that I no longer have the desire to own physical media except for a few special new releases. The only physical media I still collect (sparingly) is vinyl as there is something nice about the record store experience.

I certainly agree on Roon. I just got my new PC/Music Server up and running. Got Roon configured before going to work; it is so easy and works absolutely beautifully.

Still debating if I am going to use HQPlayer or not with the new rig. Roon's advancements give it the capabilities that I need and it is done so straight forward and easy to configure. I did install HQPlayer but I have yet to configure it. It is kind of a pain in the butt and not at all intuitive software and I also am now debating in my mind weather it is better or worth the price and setup headaches. I also do not like the companies (ok his) policies. I have a copy that I licensed a year ago paying full price at the time. He came out with a version 4 and wants full price for a license even though I purchased my current license less than a year ago... and he has raised the price by $85. Not sure it is worth it.

To me CDs are absolutely the minimum quality. I prefer to purchase the highest resolution I can find, up to and including DSD512. Even though I upsample everything to DSD512 I do hear a difference when the original is higher rez. Better in better out I guess ...

I also have a hard enough time now picking out what I want to listen to from the 1000 or so albums I have on the server; I can't imagine how difficult it would be picking something when the choices come from a service such as Tidal.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Another reason to not stream

I also have a hard enough time now picking out what I want to listen to from the 1000 or so albums I have on the server; I can't imagine how difficult it would be picking something when the choices come from a service such as Tidal.
    Wow, such a big problem. LOL. Sounds like a personal issue, not a problem isolated to streaming services.

Step 1: think about what you want to listen to.
    Step 2: search for, locate and push play button.
    Step 3: enjoy the fruits of your labor intensive work.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Gary
    Main: Lumin A1, Accuphase E-650, Tannoy Canterbury GR, Shunyata, Audience
    Secondary: Lumin M1, Linton Heritage, Shunyata, Audience

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Wow, such a big problem. LOL. Sounds like a personal issue, not a problem isolated to streaming services.
    I never said it was a problem with streaming . I simply stated that for me, I already have a tough enough time picking out what to listen to .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post

Step 1: think about what you want to listen to.
    Step 2: search for, locate and push play button.
    Step 3: enjoy the fruits of your labor intensive work.
    Mike-Randy started this thread to convince people that streaming was evil because we were guilty of helping rip off musicians. Now we are down to having too much music to choose from on Tidal and that’s a problem too.

bye... I will not deal with an asshole who does nothing but causes problems in any discussion he joins.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wow... are you ever not an asshole?

For the record, I never said it was evil, I simply stated that the streaming companies are ripping off the artist and suggest that we, as music lovers, support the musicians we enjoy.

I also stated I prefer owning and paying for the music that I enjoy and at times I have a difficult time choosing what to listen to.

DO NOT MENTION ME AGAIN IN ONE OF YOUR F'ING POSTS... PERIOD.
    Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Or what?
    LOL. Okay children.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

LOL. Okay children.
    Exactly. You start a thread to shame people not to stream music on an audio forum owned by a stereo dealer who happens to sell streaming devices while you are virtue signaling that you don’t stream music because you buy all your music. And then you threaten someone who calls you out for your nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Exactly. You start a thread to shame people not to stream music on an audio forum owned by a stereo dealer who happens to sell streaming devices while you are virtue signaling that you don’t stream music because you buy all your music. And then you threaten someone who calls you out for your nonsense.
    In discussions on this forum I may put forth an idea or opinion that you do not agree with. That is ok. That is the whole idea of forums. However, I have never been rude or disrespectful in the discussions. I accept and value others ideas and at times have actually seen their point and changed my opinion on the subject.

You, however, make rude snide comments and have a snarky attitude in discussion after discussion. You try to bully people to your way of thinking and disrespect them into submission. You have what is commonly referred to as Internet Balls. You are rude and constantly make comments that you would never make to a person's face. I do not believe I have ever made a comment in a discussion on this forum that I would not make to the person's face.

It is called having manners; you sir have none.

Also, I have purchased many items from the owner of this forum, probably more then many members. I doubt very much you could make the same statement.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I think people need to invest in streamimg as CD is on its way out in most countries and for artists to get paid more they will do so if more people adopt it. Not buying CDs which are becoming less profitable, although good to rip to hard drives as good quality music.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Another reason to not stream