Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Intro System for a 25yo?

My son has an interest in getting a decent starter system. Sole source today is streaming- Spotify premium.
    Budget $4-5k, say. Apartment living for a while, so book shelf rather than floor standing speakers.
    Listens to, oh, light rock (?), Dinosaur Jr is a favorite, Hendrix, Led Zep and such. Plays guitar (got an array of amps to include tubes, to compare distortion, so he listens well).
    He seems to want: punch/ fast attack, broad soundstage (wall of sound), on the warm side.
    Hardware ideas for him? Int. amp, streamer, speakers?
    Thx

Re: Intro System for a 25yo?

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    My son has an interest in getting a decent starter system. Sole source today is streaming- Spotify premium.
    Budget $4-5k, say. Apartment living for a while, so book shelf rather than floor standing speakers.
    Listens to, oh, light rock (?), Dinosaur Jr is a favorite, Hendrix, Led Zep and such. Plays guitar (got an array of amps to include tubes, to compare distortion, so he listens well).
    He seems to want: punch/ fast attack, broad soundstage (wall of sound), on the warm side.
    Thx
    I was thinking of something similar for my son as well.

I plan to explore the B&W Formation Wedge Wireless Speaker. See review below:

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/...ormation-wedge

The wedge can be placed on a shelf. You can use as a stand alone or you can add more speakers. They all work wirelessly which makes it nice for an apartment.
    Also It works with Spotify (and as a bonus it is a Roon endpoint).

It is an active speaker (no need for separate amp) and is good to go out of the box. At less than $1k it is well within your budget.

I have not listened to it yet but plan to.

When I got back into the hobby, I started with a Rotel RA-1592 / B&W 685 combo (with an Oppo 105D). Cost a bit over $3,000 and a very nice sounding bookshelf based system. And since the Rotel had pre-amp outputs, I could then gradually make my way from an integrated amp to separates when the budget and space allowed. The Rotel also had Bluetooth built in (with a dongle attached), so I could stream directly from my phone or my computer. At the time it wasn't the AptX standard (this was four or five years ago), but I'd bet more modern integrateds would use this better standard.
    Electronics: Pass Labs XP-22, Pass Labs X250.8
    Digital: T+A DAC 200, Auralic Aries G1, Sony UBP-X800M
    Analog: Pro-Ject X2 w/ Ortofon 2M Black, iFi Phono3 Phonostage
    Speakers: Janszen Audio Valentina P8, SVS SB13-Ultra
    Other: David Laboga Custom Audio/Shunyata/Audioquest cabling, PS Audio PowerPlant 15

Thx
    Scansonic MB-1 http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/wir...nsonic_mb1.htm
    Acoustic Frontiers Acoustic Design media room; Raidho D3; Boulder 1160; JL Audio F212v2; EMM Labs DV2; EMM Labs XDS1v2 (transport); JL Audio CR-1; Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC; Solidtech ROS; Nordost & Ansuz cabling & resonance control.
    http://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5013

I would look at something like the Hegel H190 with KEF R series or Dynaudio speakers in the budget. A decent set up but not what I'd call "warm"

If really wanting "warm", but not too much, look at the McIntosh 252 and maybe a good B&W bookshelf.

Streaming on the reasonable I like the HEOS Link around $349.00, I think would be fine for Spotify. There are better but more money. Hegel tweaks the Apple Airplay feature which could eliminate the streamer, it's usually an endpoint as well if he can use his computer. The Hegel has A DAC.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

The KEF LS50W would fulfill most of his requirements (wide soundscape, punch, clarity) but I wouldn't call them particularly warm. It would take care of streamer/DAC, amplification, and speakers.

Quad has a new streaming integrated, the Artera, but I know nothing about it. The Quad VA One is a good tube integrated with Aptx BT and a DAC - I've owned the PA-One headphone amp and thought it was a great unit. However the VA One would present problems integrating a subwoofer as it only has speaker outs and no pre outs.

For "warm" there's also Klipsch The Sixes which are significantly down-market from his $4-5K budget but as a Klipsch-head I have to throw them into the mix. I replaced a $2500 KEF LS50W system with a $300 Klipsch The Three in my great room and I love the damned thing.

For "audiophile" Mr Peabody is probably dead-on the best place to start with the Hegel integrated.
    PRIMARY 2 CH SYSTEM: Backert Labs Rhythm 1.3; Parasound JC3+ Phono pre; Luxman M900u; Pure Fidelity Harmony with Origin Live Illustrious tonearm and PF Stratos cart; Naim NDX 2; Naim 555PS; Innuos Zen MK III (Roon Core); EtherRegen; Volti Audio Rivals; JL Audio e112 (2); Transparent Super Speaker Cables; Transparent Super interconnects; Transparent Premium & High Performance power cables; Naim Fraim; Stillpoints Ultra SS; Symposium Ultra platforms; IsoTek EVO3 Sigmas conditioner; GIK Acoustics absorption and diffusion panels

What Mr. Peabody and JSQT said. I'll add Klipsch speakers and Schiit amp/s.

Quote Originally Posted by JSQT View Post
    The KEF LS50W would fulfill most of his requirements (wide soundscape, punch, clarity) but I wouldn't call them particularly warm. It would take care of streamer/DAC, amplification, and speakers.
    I would agree on the KEF LS50W. I have these in my second system and my 23 yr old son has them in his apartment. There are no components to deal with, unless you want to add a turntable. Spotify is easy. They have DSP to allow for different setup conditions. Truly a high value and easy to use product.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quad has a new streaming integrated, the Artera, but I know nothing about it. The Quad VA One is a good tube integrated with Aptx BT and a DAC - I've owned the PA-One headphone amp and thought it was a great unit. However the VA One would present problems integrating a subwoofer as it only has speaker outs and no pre outs.

For "warm" there's also Klipsch The Sixes which are significantly down-market from his $4-5K budget but as a Klipsch-head I have to throw them into the mix. I replaced a $2500 KEF LS50W system with a $300 Klipsch The Three in my great room and I love the damned thing.

For "audiophile" Mr Peabody is probably dead-on the best place to start with the Hegel integrated.
    What did you like better about the Klipsch that made you ditch the KEF? The sound? The features?

All good advice, thx.
    I see a Hegel 160 for sale; good and cheaper alternative? The inputs are a question to me. How would I add lower cost streaming? He's using ROKU, but it outputs in only HDMI.

Also, check in with Mike, the owner of this forum and of Suncoast Audio. One of the largest high end audio stores in the country. He has an excellent rep. I'm in the process of purchasing a system from him. No complaints. I'll get to know Mike better when I visit Suncoast Audio in October.

Audioshark

All good advice, thx.
    I see a Hegel 160 for sale; good and cheaper alternative? The inputs are a question to me. How would I add lower cost streaming? He's using ROKU, but it outputs in only HDMI.
    Look at an all in one solution like the Lumin D2.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

That's a good choice. Grab a Bluesound Node 2i and he's good to go.
    PRIMARY 2 CH SYSTEM: Backert Labs Rhythm 1.3; Parasound JC3+ Phono pre; Luxman M900u; Pure Fidelity Harmony with Origin Live Illustrious tonearm and PF Stratos cart; Naim NDX 2; Naim 555PS; Innuos Zen MK III (Roon Core); EtherRegen; Volti Audio Rivals; JL Audio e112 (2); Transparent Super Speaker Cables; Transparent Super interconnects; Transparent Premium & High Performance power cables; Naim Fraim; Stillpoints Ultra SS; Symposium Ultra platforms; IsoTek EVO3 Sigmas conditioner; GIK Acoustics absorption and diffusion panels

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    What did you like better about the Klipsch that made you ditch the KEF? The sound? The features?
    Just suited the purpose better for much less money. I was looking to add easy streaming in the great room and the KEF seemed like crazy overkill once I got it and listened to it for a few days. The sound was very "stereo-like" and not very exciting, which was fine for that room, as it was going to be mostly background music. But then when I thought about it, I realized for background music etc, I could pocket the $2000 difference and go with The Three instead. It's dynamic, has strong bass, streaming via bluetooth or high res via the HEOS app, and more than fills the entire space with excellent music.

Just seemed the more practical choice for background music.

This thread has been helpful to me since I am considering making a similar purchase. I read about the different products being recommended here and have concluded that in my case the active speaker route is the way to go. Any other option like streaming unit or integrated amps require buying another component (speakers) and makes the set up and installation more complex. I am leaning heavily toward the Klipsch The Three right now since I read that it also integrates easily with Google Home and Amazon Alexa.
    Thanks everyone!

This thread has been helpful to me since I am considering making a similar purchase. I read about the different products being recommended here and have concluded that in my case the active speaker route is the way to go. Any other option like streaming unit or integrated amps require buying another component (speakers) and makes the set up and installation more complex. I am leaning heavily toward the Klipsch The Three right now since I read that it also integrates easily with Google Home and Amazon Alexa.
    Thanks everyone!
    As a fan of the Klipsch sound (I have Heresy IIIs and La Scala IIs) I'm really impressed with the sound of The Three. I feel obliged to mention a few caveats however...

First, it is by no means an "audiophile" component; for using in an office, living room, etc it is hard to beat for sound quality to value. It's not even "stereo," but it does throw a large soundstage with plenty of bottom end and detail. For a higher end solution by Klipsch that is still a good value, you may want to check out the Sixes active bookshelf speakers. It's great for my situation.

The other thing is, if you want to throw Spotify via Bluetooth to the Three, it is easy as pie. However if you expect to integrate it into a streaming setup like Roon or something it is not going to work. That's the advantage higher end components bring to the table. In fact, the Klipsch-branded HEOS app is the only way to integrate Tidal or Qobuz lossless/high res and that app is a huge pain in the ass. I generally use Spotify with The Three, unless I'm listening to a whole album from Qobuz, when I'll deal with the HEOS app.

Hopefully that doesn't muddy the waters too much, but I felt obliged to point these things out.

As a fan of the Klipsch sound (I have Heresy IIIs and La Scala IIs) I'm really impressed with the sound of The Three. I feel obliged to mention a few caveats however...

First, it is by no means an "audiophile" component; for using in an office, living room, etc it is hard to beat for sound quality to value. It's not even "stereo," but it does throw a large soundstage with plenty of bottom end and detail. For a higher end solution by Klipsch that is still a good value, you may want to check out the Sixes active bookshelf speakers. It's great for my situation.

The other thing is, if you want to throw Spotify via Bluetooth to the Three, it is easy as pie. However if you expect to integrate it into a streaming setup like Roon or something it is not going to work. That's the advantage higher end components bring to the table. In fact, the Klipsch-branded HEOS app is the only way to integrate Tidal or Qobuz lossless/high res and that app is a huge pain in the ass. I generally use Spotify with The Three, unless I'm listening to a whole album from Qobuz, when I'll deal with the HEOS app.

Hopefully that doesn't muddy the waters too much, but I felt obliged to point these things out.
    Thank you for the observations specially regarding Roon. I use Roon and for me connectivity with Roon is very important. On the other hand, I am quite sure that my son has never heard of Roon and would not mind at all.

Since you mentioned Roon connectivity for yourself, have you considered using a Raspberry Pi as a Roon EndPoint? The Pi has an USB output and I noticed that The Three has a USB input so you might be able to connect the two together.

Then all you do is set the Klipsch input to USB, and use your Roon app from your phone or tablet to play music to the RPI end point. The RPI sends a digital signal to the Klipsch.

I built a RPI Roon end point (with a Digi+ Pro HAT) and used it to play Roon/Tidal to a preamp that has no Roon connectivity. It worked perfectly fine. It cost less than US$100.

Edit:
    PS. I just looked at the Klipsch Sixes. They are not part of the Klipsch Stream Wireless Multi-Room System so future expandability would be limited. Also, The Sixes seem to cost the same as The Three.

In addition to the KEFs, I would also consider an ELAC system. Andrew Jones showcased a very dynamic and good sounding system at AXPONA earlier this year within the range you are seeking for your son.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

I was thinking of something similar for my son as well.

I plan to explore the B&W Formation Wedge Wireless Speaker. See review below:

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/...ormation-wedge

The wedge can be placed on a shelf. You can use as a stand alone or you can add more speakers. They all work wirelessly which makes it nice for an apartment.
    Also It works with Spotify (and as a bonus it is a Roon endpoint).

It is an active speaker (no need for separate amp) and is good to go out of the box. At less than $1k it is well within your budget.

I have not listened to it yet but plan to.

I was also thinking of the Formation series.
    4-5K even buys you the Formation Duo.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bow...-formation-duo

It seems that their specs (goes down to 25 Hz!) are not exaggerated...
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Also, check in with Mike, the owner of this forum and of Suncoast Audio. One of the largest high end audio stores in the country. He has an excellent rep. I'm in the process of purchasing a system from him. No complaints. I'll get to know Mike better when I visit Suncoast Audio in October.
    bought an Aurender from Mike.
    I

I happened to like the HEOS app. It's much better to me and offers more than Bluesound or Spotify. I enjoyed how HEOS provides the bios on the artist and the history I found useful, it keeps track of the last 500 or so tracks you played. Similar artists was another great feature.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

For a warm sound

Rogue Audio Sphinx Integrated V2
    Marantz ND8006 CD/DAC/Streamer all in one, Auralic Altair DAC/Streamer
    Dyn Audio Speakers
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

How you considered used? I would also recommend Parasound. You can get a pre and amp for around $2k. This would give you a great base to start with.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Intro System for a 25yo?

Of your requirements are you looking only at "lifestyle"set ups and/or new gear?

If he has literally any interest in audio, maybe bypass the lifestyle type product offerings and send him on his way with some inexpensive separates from the likes of Schiit, Nord, etc. that could provide connections for his needed digital doodads and then add passive loudspeakers of his liking to let him have a real stereo to start with?

Just my 2 cents...
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsmoke View Post
    How you considered used? I would also recommend Parasound. You can get a pre and amp for around $2k. This would give you a great base to start with.
    I own a Parasound A21 and it is not warm sounding. In fact, I gave it to my son and he is going to sell it to get something smoother and warmer. Their preamps are also not warm and fuzzy.

For separates, I would consider the Schiit Frey+ preamp and Vidar amp or even better,
    Van Alstine Tube preamp for $899 and one of his new SET SS amps like the SET 120 and 400. I reviewed them on the AC forum for Frank VA. These amps are heavy hitters, smooth, slightly warm with a killer midrange and deep punchy bass and good high end. They can compete with $5K-$6K amps.

An all Vincent Audio system would also be a way to go for a warmer sound.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

AVA and Vincent are good suggestions. Especially if wanting separates. Although Vincent does have some integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    I own a Parasound A21 and it is not warm sounding. In fact, I gave it to my son and he is going to sell it to get something smoother and warmer. Their preamps are also not warm and fuzzy.

For separates, I would consider the Schiit Frey+ preamp and Vidar amp or even better,
    Van Alstine Tube preamp for $899 and one of his new SET SS amps like the SET 120 and 400. I reviewed them on the AC forum for Frank VA. These amps are heavy hitters, smooth, slightly warm with a killer midrange and deep punchy bass and good high end. They can compete with $5K-$6K amps.

An all Vincent Audio system would also be a way to go for a warmer sound.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I ended up going for a Sonos Amp, Amazon Echo Dot solution combined with an existing pair of speakers. The Echo Dot can control the Sonos Amp via voice. Ease of use/simplicity won. Not a high end solution by any means but very easy to use and scalable.

thumbsup Re: Intro System for a 25yo?

One of the very best options for an an entry level system is the Lumin Music M1 integrated amp streamer renderer DAC. Please see Lumin Music model M1.

My son went shopping in the attic. Here's what he came up with. Belles Aria integrated, Rega RP1, ProAc Tablette. The Belles I had intended to repurpose in my office but he got to it first. It's a pretty nice setup for a small room.
    Toolshed Amplifiers 300b DHT amp, Supratek Cabernet DHT preamp, Weiss 502 DAC, Spatial Audio X3 open baffle speakers, Pro-ject RS2T transport, Silversmith speaker cables, Grover Huffman ICs.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Intro System for a 25yo?