Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you abandon your expensive cables if there was a much cheaper alternative?

In my experience the rising cost usually means better performance. But occasionally a product comes along which defies this axiom. Two cables I think do it are the Duelund tinned copper wire in oiled cloth and the Audio Envy cables. The Duelund wire is small in stature and does not look like the typical expensive offering. No active shielding, etc. Would looks and low cost bother you?
    Main System: Analog - Linn LP12, Origin Live DC motor and Controller, SME V arm, Benz Ruby H 2 cartridge, Wright Sound preamp. Digital - Intel NUC I-7, 16 gig ram, Jriver media center 24, Wyrd4 Sound 2V2 SE Dac, Fathom Hard Drives.
    H-Cat Version 9 preamp, ARC Reference 75 amp, Custom line source speakers - 10 SB Acoustics midwoofers, 10 Fountek ribbon tweeters. JL Audio Fathom f112 Subs
    Wire - T G Audio, Shunyata, Synergistic Research , Audioquest, Lewis silver foil, Duelund, Transparent.

Would you abandon your expensive cables if there was a much cheaper alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
    Would looks and low cost bother you?
    No, but I am biased. Would you abandon your expensive cables if there was a much cheaper alternative?
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Re: Would you abandon your expensive cables if there was a much cheaper alternative?

In answer to your original question, absolutely.
    However after trying many many cables, including the ones you mention, I have not found any of the truly inexpensive cables that perform well in MY SYSTEM.
    I have found moderately priced cables from boutique companies that punch way above their pay grade.
    I have found cables to be very system dependent. What works in your system may not work in mine.
    Cables are like spice is to cooking.
    The better cables have traits that any of the entry/diy cables that I have tried don't.
    YMMV
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Re: Would you abandon your expensive cables if there was a much cheaper alternative?

Yes. I did.. I've owned many expensive cables. I now use Furutech NCF products. About 25% of the cost of most "average" priced brands. I'm also getting better results. I recently saw the same Furutech NCF products used on a $15K power cord......
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Audioshark

Sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

If I was offered the choice of any expensive audiophile cables or Blue Jeans Cables ( with the understanding that I had to keep them and couldn't resell them) I would chose the Blue Jeans Cables.

I wouldn’t abandon my cables, I would sell my cables under the premise newco comes over sets them up and leaves them until I am satisfied, then assuming the case writes me a check upon a mutually agreed upon price thinking there will be a difference - short of that I’m done, in a positive way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Generally No.

Despite enjoying my current Ansuz cables i've kept many of my earlier cables. The earlier cables are useful for comparative purposes and don't take much space to store. Sometimes earlier cables find a second use in a less obvious part of your audio system, for example routers, WiFi etc.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

In my experience the rising cost usually means better performance. But occasionally a product comes along which defies this axiom. Two cables I think do it are the Duelund tinned copper wire in oiled cloth and the Audio Envy cables. The Duelund wire is small in stature and does not look like the typical expensive offering. No active shielding, etc. Would looks and low cost bother you?
    Already have. Not that mine were very expensive to begin with but they were custom built pure copper cables.
    After trying Western Electric and Duelund, I'm now trying out Belden 8477 as speaker cable.

It's a 12 awg Tinned Copper design that will make you smile from cheek to cheek when you see the price.
    https://catalog.belden.com/index.cfm?event=pd&p=PF_8477

2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Yes.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

i have been surfing this wave for a few years now... and, i am loving my relatively inexpensive speaker and interconnect cables from a small, boutique manufacturer. both use tinned-copper conductor wires and the IC cables are shielded.

imo, they offer a very good price/performance ratio and there is no compromise on looks / aesthetics.

note: jeff day has done a tremendous amount of work and writing on the tinned-copper conductor wires from dueland coherent audio (see this positve feedback article) which inspired me to give them a try... it was love at first listen although i have since switched to cables using the western electric tinned-copper wire, which i prefer.

always open to alternatives -- but, i am pretty darn happy with my current analog cables which are in line with the OPs thesis.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

I bought all of my Duelunds because I liked them best. In my case, they replaced my previous favorite Western Electric cables. The fact that they were inexpensive was not in the equation, but it didn't hurt...

As far as speaker cables go, I need to hear if the much less efficient Joseph Audios - estimated @88dB 1w/1m vs. my previous Tannoys @96 db 1w/1m - might benefit from another cable.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    I bought all of my Duelunds because I liked them best. The fact that they were inexpensive was not in the equation, but it didn't hurt...
    +1 ...exactly what i was trying to say - just much more succinct and straight to the point.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

After trying several cables in my equipment (expensive and cheap) I came to a conclusion, no matter the price of the cables, you have to find cables that work well with the equipment.

Yes. My expensive cables were BJC. I ended up abandoning them for cheaper Duelund cables.

Absolutely. I use Belden 8402 XLR's which sound better than my AQ Columbia 72v DBS. They were a revelation. But I have never tried $1K or better cables in my system.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

I don't want it to sound like a blurb, I tested the cables (balanced and for the speakers) PAD Aqueous Aureas and I loved how it sounded in my set, but unfortunately I could not buy it, therefore I bought the Musaeus Revision Luminist, they sound good but they are already for sale, if I sell them I buy the Aqueous Aureas.

My posting this thread was partly motivated by a person who posted at another site. He was embarrassed by the diminutive size of the Duelund speaker wires he loves. So he placed them inside larger tubing and put some attractive flexible covers on them and nice gold plated spades. Said they didn't look audiophile enough bare
    Main System: Analog - Linn LP12, Origin Live DC motor and Controller, SME V arm, Benz Ruby H 2 cartridge, Wright Sound preamp. Digital - Intel NUC I-7, 16 gig ram, Jriver media center 24, Wyrd4 Sound 2V2 SE Dac, Fathom Hard Drives.
    H-Cat Version 9 preamp, ARC Reference 75 amp, Custom line source speakers - 10 SB Acoustics midwoofers, 10 Fountek ribbon tweeters. JL Audio Fathom f112 Subs
    Wire - T G Audio, Shunyata, Synergistic Research , Audioquest, Lewis silver foil, Duelund, Transparent.

So he placed them inside larger tubing and put some attractive flexible covers on them and nice gold plated spades. Said they didn't look audiophile enough bare
    He should start a cable business! Would you abandon your expensive cables if there was a much cheaper alternative?

So he placed them inside larger tubing and put some attractive flexible covers on them and nice gold plated spades. Said they didn't look audiophile enough bare
    Probably he made a mistake.

One day i tried to separate the conductors of the speaker cable i had.
    The sound became strange, thin, but more dynamic with more air and much less compression.
    Then i put them close again. The bass has return but i can´t stand it anymore. It was no bass. It was a shadow, a veil in the sound. Reading, i discovery they call it crosstalk.
    Then, i tried to put some shielding around each conductor. And at first it seems to work well. Everything seems to be more liquid and the background was now really dark. With time became clear ir was horrible, it become compressed. Strange, because without shield it was dirty and mixed and with it was clean but compressed. But much, much better when putting the shield at some distance from the conductor.

And i thinked to myself: ah, that´s because of that some cables are so wide. Now that i understand i wiil never make fun of the big hoses.

After these experiences, almost all the market cables that i tried seemed to had these problems. Some of them were to thin, while most of others had that horrible shadow in the mids. And i think, what the hell, it seems nobody knows exactly what they are doing. Manufacturers are doing it by trial and error. Why can´t I do the same? So i keep on trying by myself.

Yes, i never tried really expensive market cables except my indispensable interconnect Ortofon (about 1.500 € - can we say that is expensive?) but i found some of these issues (dark; veil sound) in so many big systems that i can almost swear that they were cable problems.
    So...

Yes, Better is better regardless of cost. At one time my cables were all silver. I loved the liveliness and extension. In time this became tiresome. Presently I have zero silver cables in my rig, I found copper cables that were simply the “right” balance. And surprisingly cheaper. I am using all Burley IC’s (originally from Pass Labs). I just “downgraded” my speaker cable to Analysis Plus. Beside being sick of garden hose variety speaker cable, the thinner, more manageable cables sound better. My eyes were opened when I borrowed a pair of Mapleshade speaker cables from a friend. Although they ended up not to be the best fit, these super thin, solid core cables were amazing. I loved their ease of use so much, I went on a quest to find a flexible, user friendly cable. The A+ did this. A significant sound improvement was icing on the cake.
    == Joe ==

Had a friend here yesterday listening to the system . He was rather blown away by it as i am . It uses 2.5 van damme studio speaker cable which cost approx 23 pounds excluding the wbt connectors . I dont think you have to have expensive cable for marvellous sound . I notice that in The UK many forums are mainly cable sceptic which is different to USA i think
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

I assume “cable sceptic” translates to “cable skeptic” in USA lingo. Not being derogatory in any way, just clarifying. I would have preferred being a cable skeptic, as it would have saved me thousands of dollars. But I think any dyed-in-the-wool audiophile recognizes how contributory cables are to any audio system. Whereas I don’t believe cables must be expensive to be good, I wish I could afford the really expensive stuff. I find it intriguing as to where the “high price spread” could take a system. I guess that's why I keep purchasing cables. As soon as I hear something amiss I assume a new cable could rectify it. In most cases I can find a “better fit”.
    == Joe ==

This question irritates me. At it's core it tries to say, inexpensive cables sound as good as expensive. Or so I read. Such an incorrect statement on all levels. Many others have correctly noted cables are system dependent. More correct IMO is there are sleeper cables that are good value and sound.

The real question everyone wants to know is how do I find the lowest price best quality cable (sleepers) that works well in my system. Thats the question. The answer to the OP question is Of Course. If 2 cables where indistinguishable from each other in all parameters and one was a factor more expensive than the other, well then of course you would buy the less expensive cable. And the bigger problem to my point is how do you ever get your hands on all those cables to try in your own system. And, do you have time. Yes the cable company lets you try and buy what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    This question irritates me. At it's core it tries to say, inexpensive cables sound as good as expensive. Or so I read. Such an incorrect statement on all levels.
    Agreed. Some inexpensive cables are not as good as some more expensive cables. They are better.

But it's always system dependent, IMO.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

I disagree Jim. I've listened to enough Western Electric as speaker and interconnects and Duelund as Speaker cables. They're a decent cable for the money. But the sleeper cables I refer to by well-known companies that do cost more money, in the end walk all over the Western Electric and Duelund. They're are a lot better.

There is a level of system dependency. My take is it the duelund and Western Electric tin coated wire is a good entry-level wire that's going to suit a guy with a thousand to $5,000 stereo just fine. But a guy with a $30,000 system is going to hear a difference when he puts in a cable that really shines from a quality manufacturer that is of a reasonable price. In my opinion the gray area is between those sleeper cables and the $5,000 to $10,000 to $15,000 cables.

By the way, who uses tin for interconnects, speaker, or power cables from any reputable company. I don't think any do. I believe the whole purpose of tin is to reduce oxidization on cloth coated conductor. But my understanding is tin has a sound. I also believe most people say our objective in creating good audio is to eliminate all sounds and just pass a clean signal.

I disagree Jim.
    As I disagree with you - having made countless comparisons.

I tend to think the system - especially the speakers & their efficiency - matter more in this case.

However, I am not one who listens for technically correct sound aspects - the sound is only of interest to me if I am transported into the music, becoming greatly involved in it's emotional impact. I use these same standards when voicing systems, for better or worse.

For me at least, Dynamics, Presence, & Tone are the primary producers of musical engagement. And I have found that the various Duelund interconnects & speaker cables do that. It's not about price at all - again, for me.

But I still think it is system and - for that matter - personal taste - dependent...

www.getbettersound.com

Ok, true. I have owned 3 sets of WE speaker cable, 1 WE interconnect and 1 Duelund speaker cable, so I don't have much experience.

I also don't disagree with anything else you said in regards to the cables providing you it pleasing musical experience.

I disagree Jim. I've listened to enough Western Electric as speaker and interconnects and Duelund as Speaker cables. They're a decent cable for the money. But the sleeper cables I refer to by well-known companies that do cost more money, in the end walk all over the Western Electric and Duelund. They're are a lot better.

There is a level of system dependency. My take is it the duelund and Western Electric tin coated wire is a good entry-level wire that's going to suit a guy with a thousand to $5,000 stereo just fine. But a guy with a $30,000 system is going to hear a difference when he puts in a cable that really shines from a quality manufacturer that is of a reasonable price. In my opinion the gray area is between those sleeper cables and the $5,000 to $10,000 to $15,000 cables.

By the way, who uses tin for interconnects, speaker, or power cables from any reputable company. I don't think any do. I believe the whole purpose of tin is to reduce oxidization on cloth coated conductor. But my understanding is tin has a sound. I also believe most people say our objective in creating good audio is to eliminate all sounds and just pass a clean signal.
    I wouldn't say that better myself. I own WE16GA and Duelund equivalent. I keep them as sometimes they are handy when testing various setups. They are dirt cheap, so why not. GREAT cables ... for the money.

But then again - there are lots of great cheap cables on the market. Tara Labs Apollo entry line is outstanding for example. Most people interested in $10k don't even realise how much performance can be had for this little money nowadays.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

...a guy with a $30,000 system is going to hear a difference when he puts in a cable that really shines from a quality manufacturer that is of a reasonable price.
    Yep. And a guy with a good power foundation.

In my opinion the gray area is between those sleeper cables and the $5,000 to $10,000 to $15,000 cables.

I am perfectly happy using cheap Duelund speaker cables in a system that meets your criteria for being able to show off what those expensive cables can do and quite frankly I don't feel that I am missing anything. I am with Jim Smith on this one.

Those tinned copper cables certainly have their own flavor (both Duelund and WE sound quite similar). Not the most resolving cables around, but they do get the tone right.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    Some inexpensive cables are not as good as some more expensive cables. They are better.
    Because geometry counts a lot, I believe that, looking for the best solution and the ultimate discovery, sometimes things get complicated and the end result turns out to be worse.

I suspect the two extremes: very expensive and very cheap cables.

For me, no cheap cable can be a good cable because even when I use a cheap conductor and put 2 layers of shielding on it, and then I connect a few good terminals, it is not that cheap anymore.

A long time ago a friend of mine says that Belden cables provides all an high end audio system needs. So I try a Belden interconnect. And thought to myself: this is not a cable for those who live searching for the best audio playback. When he asked me what I found I said to him, yes, yes they are very good!

…But my understanding is tin has a sound. I also believe most people say our objective in creating good audio is to eliminate all sounds and just pass a clean signal.
    And I don't like tinned cables either. I think they change the tone.

FYI. Viablue, a German Mfg of cables and connectors, uses different metals in their cables to obtain various results.
    Their top end speaker cables (from the website) use a blend of three different metals. Silver for the highs, Tinned copper for the mids and bare solid copper for the lows.
    I find many cables get a lot of the tone and dynamics right.
    However what they are missing is the soundstaging, dimensionality, imaging and other aspects that could additionally bring me closer to being transported to a musical venue.
    I have found cables to be VERY system dependent.
    YMMV
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Not sure what ‘expensive’ means, but if I were looking for new cables, and there was a cable at a lower price that sounded better than my current cable, then the answer is yes.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

At RMAF, all the top tier systems I liked, and considered shop stoppers were connected using Nordost and this was the first time where I could equate that the cables do leave a signature as it was evident not only between the exhibitors but also in my sound as well.

I like my system very much and while I believe the cables are over the top expensive, actually stupid expensive, I have no regrets.

You would have to do an in-house demo to convince me to make a change.

Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

That price list of cables you sent in your show report is at least three times the cost of my entire system. I like most of the cables in my system so in essence you could say I'm using a less expensive alternative cable that works well for me. I have about $7k total in cabling including my custom power strip and OFC cord from the panel to my rack.

Ed, its time to install your dedicated power feed.

That price list of cables you sent in your show report is at least three times the cost of my entire system. I like most of the cables in my system so in essence you could say I'm using a less expensive alternative cable that works well for me. I have about $7k total in cabling including my custom power strip and OFC cord from the panel to my rack.

Ed, its time to install your dedicated power feed.
    You mean this list? Pocket change Would you abandon your expensive cables if there was a much cheaper alternative?

Rex, you mean additional dedicated lines, 10 Gauge OFC Would you abandon your expensive cables if there was a much cheaper alternative?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

UF69 quote "Pocket Change"

If it is pocket change, I hope you wear industrial suspenders. If not your pants will be at your ankles. :-)
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    UF69 quote "Pocket Change"

If it is pocket change, I hope you wear industrial suspenders. If not your pants will be at your ankles. :-)
    Totally sarcastic!

But also know not everyone can drive a Rolls Royce, or for that matter prefer to, in the end it’s all subjective to ones desire.

Ultrafast keeps a fistful of gold coins just for impulse purchases.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

I was under the impression you were not making a serious statement UltraFast. I understand purchasing is a mater of what something is worth to you.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

At a big hi fi show in Uk , one chap wired up his amazing sounding speakers with mains cable [twin and earth cable] just to demonstrate you don`t need expensive cables [ this is an amateur hi fi show where folks bring all their kit to set up in rooms ]
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    At a big hi fi show in Uk , one chap wired up his amazing sounding speakers with mains cable [twin and earth cable] just to demonstrate you don`t need expensive cables [ this is an amateur hi fi show where folks bring all their kit to set up in rooms ]
    Not "Needing" and "Sound Different" are 2 different things.

The Vintage guys at AK swear by Lamp cord or extension cords for Speaker Wire because the speakers deliver sound when connected.

So the question remains, Do you want sound, or do you want good sound?
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

You know when I do use inexpensive speaker wire. When I am wiring rear satellite speakers. I use 14 or 12 awg romex. It sounds just fine for the money in that application.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

You know when I do use inexpensive speaker wire. When I am wiring rear satellite speakers. I use 14 or 12 awg romex. It sounds just fine for the money in that application.
    I have a set of speakers in my family room driven by a receiver in my living room. The wiring is spliced together with probably 4 different gauges of did-similar wire.

Nobody would really know because the placement of these speakers in built in corner cabinets projects the best imaging and stage over my expensive main system.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    I have a set of speakers in my family room driven by a receiver in my living room. The wiring is spliced together with probably 4 different gauges of did-similar wire.

Nobody would really know because the placement of these speakers in built in corner cabinets projects the best imaging and stage over my expensive main system.
    How Funny. Go figure. Why do you think corner speakers do as such?

I did- many years ago. Starting In the early 1970s I noticed that you could hang Neumann microphones over the orchestra and the mic feed sounded amazing! A the time I there were no exotic interconnect cable companies but then I met Robert Fulton and went down that path for a while (in case anyone doesn't know, Robert Fulton of FMI produced the first high end audio cables anywhere back in the 1970s).

But I remembered my experience playing in the orchestra. So when I developed my own amps and preamps I made sure they supported balanced line operation- which then as now has a set of standards. What I found was that if you supported the standards (in particular, low impedance drive ability and ignoring ground) then the interconnect didn't make any difference in the system! This allowed my to place my amps right by the speakers and that meant shorter speaker cables, for which the system also improved.

Over the last 35 years or so all that I have seen is that if you support the balanced standard (now known as AES48) then you don't need expensive interconnect cables because all cables will sound very very similar and its not worth writing to a forum about the differences. But- and I have found this to be a big one- the vast majority of audiophile balanced line products don't support the standard and as a result, most audiophiles really haven't heard what that brings to the table.

So anyone that is curious and has heard a recording made in the 1950s might actually already have an answer to their questions. All the recordings made in the Golden Age of Stereo were done with balanced line connections. Imagine sending a microphone signal 200 feet without degradation, such that decades later, as your stereo improves all that happens is those classic LPs sound better and better. You don't 'hear' the cables; this was 20 years before Fulton came along.

The only reason no-one brought balanced line into the home before we did was because it was expensive- the only way to do it right before we came along was with line transformers which are expensive. Eico certainly wasn't going to install them; neither was Fisher, H/K or any of their successors. We sorted out and patented a transformerless means of supporting the standard.

But if you want a way to finally get off the cable merry go round (since if you don't, next year there will the next latest and greatest) quite simply the means to do it has been in existence for 60 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    …Their top end speaker cables (from the website) use a blend of three different metals. Silver for the highs, Tinned copper for the mids and bare solid copper for the lows.
    This could be a perfect example of what I meant when I wrote

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Because geometry counts a lot, I believe that, looking for the best solution and the ultimate discovery, sometimes things get complicated and the end result turns out to be worse.

Back when I owned B&W 802D's I used Synergistic Research B&W Spec cables. If I remember correctly the split towards the speaker end into biwire that connected to the mid's and woofers. I believe one was silver the other copper.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team