Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Curious about the latest McIntosh MC75 mono tube amplifier

I have been interested in the new McIntosh MC75 mono tube amplifiers for the past year or so. I go awhile without giving them much thought, then all of a sudden they are on my mind again. I am interested in hearing from those who own a pair of the current MC75's, what preamplifier you use, and what speakers you drive with the amps. Are you pleased with the power, and most of all are you pleased with the sound the produce? I am considering a pair of MC75 amplifiers for my living room system paired with my McIntosh C2300 tube preamp, and driving PMC EB1i speakers. Let me know what you think.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Re: Curious about the latest McIntosh MC75 mono tube amplifier

I have not heard the MC75s but my reading suggests those that have were pleased with an improvement over the MC275VI. Increased Power Supply capacity and better separation showed. User JoeEnid had such an experience I believe.
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, ClearAudio Performance SE, Satisfy Arm & Maestro Wood MM Cartridge
    Power: 3 x 20 Amp Lines, Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Shunyata Sigma v2 NR, Block Audio Power Cords, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - Alpha CGS cables
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon Modified) Buffalo GS2016 Switches powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 SCs, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK/Vicoustics/Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Quote Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
    I have not heard the MC75s but my reading suggests those that have were pleased with an improvement over the MC275VI. Increased Power Supply capacity and better separation showed. User JoeEnid had such an experience I believe.
    Craig.......I have read reviews and owner comments on a couple forums that echo your comments. The MC75's are said to outperform the MC275, particularly in dynamics, with more control of the lowest octaves. I have owned three different MC275 MkV amps. I used two in the studio system strapped for parallel operation, and one in the living room system. I like them. I felt the MC275 running in stereo mode offered a slight improvement in clarity over the amps running in parallel mode for 150 watts mono instead of 75 watts per channel stereo. I thought it might have been the opposite but it wasn't. I ended up selling all three MC275's, went with MC2301's in the studio, and MC501's, then MC601's, and now an MC452 stereo amp in the living room system. What I still remember about the MC275 running stereo in the living room is how magical and liquid the midrange was. If a pair of MC75 amplifiers are able to best that, I would be quite happy. It's not like I need the 450 watts per channel of the MC452. The PMC EB1i speakers are 89dB efficient and I rarely ever listen to them with peaks above about 30 watts. The MC75's would just be strolling.

I haven't made a commitment to purchase a pair of MC75's yet, but I can't deny I have been thinking about it.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Super Moderator

Hi Dan,

The MC75 amps are spectacular. They each have the same transformers as a single MC275 so they are a beefy 75 wpc. Probably closer to 90 wpc. Absolutely more/better separation and spooky quiet. My main reason for selling them is because the taps are setup for 2,4,8 ohms whereas the 275 has 4,8,16 ohm taps. I need predominantly 16 ohms now.

I think they were discontinued but I’m sure are still plentiful.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hi Dan,

The MC75 amps are spectacular. They each have the same transformers as a single MC275 so they are a beefy 75 wpc. Probably closer to 90 wpc. Absolutely more/better separation and spooky quiet. My main reason for selling them is because the taps are setup for 2,4,8 ohms whereas the 275 has 4,8,16 ohm taps. I need predominantly 16 ohms now.

I think they were discontinued but I’m sure are still plentiful.
    Joe.......Thanks for the information about the speaker taps. I run my PMC EB1i speakers at 4 ohms so I should have no issues with that particular output arrangement.
    Dan

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Curious about the latest McIntosh MC75 mono tube amplifier