Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Harbeth 30.2 in room, real-time frequency response measurements

Okaaay....now that I've settled in with the Harbeth 30.2s, have 'em set up on the stands the way I like, I thought it was time to break out good 'ole Room Equalization Wizard (aka REW) and start doin' some measurements with an end ultimately to doing a DOE (Design of Experiments) to optimally integrate my REL R-305 with the 30.2s

The 30.2s are on Resonant Woods "Curved Series" maple stands using Brook Jensen's (of Resonant Woods) hard phenolic ball feet screwed-down & locked into the 1/4-20 threaded inserts in the bottom of the stands. The stands are resting on a particle board platform that has been stained with black Varathane urethane stain.

The speakers, stands, ball footers and the stand platform are shown here:

The phenolic ball feet, which are very hard (same material as billiard balls), function analogously to speaker stand spikes in that there is a very small contact point between the phenolic ball-footer & the stand platform; they are leveled and very stable. The function of the particle board platform is to provide a firm, stable, non-rocking & "non-resonant and non-ringing" platform for the stands to sit upon on the carpet (this is my living room, not a man-cave). I tried many different materials, from regular wood to porcelain floor tiles to travertine stone, and a common hard dense particle board platform simply sounded the best.
    The phenolic ball footers on the particle board platforms are shown.

The Harbeths are coupled to the Resonant Woods stands with four 1.5" square pieces of beeswax cloth at each corner. Additionally, there is a small 4" X 1/2" strip of beeswax cloth on the rear support rail at the back of the stands. The beeswax cloth serves to couple the speakers to the stands, as well as provide a "constrained layer"- style damping. The stands are "open top" so that the cabinets can do their Alan Shaw "tuned cabinet resonance" thang. The beeswax cloth also couples the speakers to the stands so well that you can practically lift the stands by lifting the speakers. Moreover, it sounds really good.

With that, I set up Room Equalization Wizard and did a very quick first-pass test sweep, just to check that things are working with the REL....

Not bad for a very first pass just to check settings and gear.

Next, I'll see if I can smooth out some peaks and nulls and get the response above 4K up a skosh...

More later, stay tuned....

Re: Harbeth 30.2 in room, real-time frequency response measurements

Congratulations Stephen! The 30.2s are very special. BTW nice setup!

Did you get rid of the Dynaudios?

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Super Moderator

Beautiful setup Stephen, well done!

I love the Harbeth 30 series speakers. Looking forward to more of your results.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Beautiful setup Stephen, well done!

I love the Harbeth 30 series speakers. Looking forward to more of your results.
    Thanks, Joe...

The next set of results will probably get...pretty statistical.

P-values, transfer functions, F-statistics, and interaction plots.

Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Congratulations Stephen! The 30.2s are very special. BTW nice setup!

Did you get rid of the Dynaudios?
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks. With the arrival of the Harbeth 30.2s, new Shunyata Denali 6000 V2, NR-Venom series of power cables, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet and Alpha USB cables, the implementation of the optical Ethernet, Sonore OpticalModule FMC for streaming to the SOtM Ultra Neo network bridge (all powered by first-rate linear power supplies), the system has been bringing some nice improvements of late.

No, still have the big Dyns; they're presently residing in the spare bedroom. Thought I'd swap out speakers from time to time. Maybe on a quarterly basis or something similar.

Cheers!

-Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Okaaay....now that I've settled in with the Harbeth 30.2s, have 'em set up on the stands the way I like, I thought it was time to break out good 'ole Room Equalization Wizard (aka REW) and start doin' some measurements with an end ultimately to doing a DOE (Design of Experiments) to optimally integrate my REL R-305 with the 30.2s

The 30.2s are on Resonant Woods "Curved Series" maple stands using Brook Jensen's (of Resonant Woods) hard phenolic ball feet screwed-down & locked into the 1/4-20 threaded inserts in the bottom of the stands. The stands are resting on a particle board platform that has been stained with black Varathane urethane stain.

The speakers, stands, ball footers and the stand platform are shown here:

The phenolic ball feet, which are very hard (same material as billiard balls), function analogously to speaker stand spikes in that there is a very small contact point between the phenolic ball-footer & the stand platform; they are leveled and very stable. The function of the particle board platform is to provide a firm, stable, non-rocking & "non-resonant and non-ringing" platform for the stands to sit upon on the carpet (this is my living room, not a man-cave). I tried many different materials, from regular wood to porcelain floor tiles to travertine stone, and a common hard dense particle board platform simply sounded the best.
    The phenolic ball footers on the particle board platforms are shown.

The Harbeths are coupled to the Resonant Woods stands with four 1.5" square pieces of beeswax cloth at each corner. Additionally, there is a small 4" X 1/2" strip of beeswax cloth on the rear support rail at the back of the stands. The beeswax cloth serves to couple the speakers to the stands, as well as provide a "constrained layer"- style damping. The stands are "open top" so that the cabinets can do their Alan Shaw "tuned cabinet resonance" thang. The beeswax cloth also couples the speakers to the stands so well that you can practically lift the stands by lifting the speakers. Moreover, it sounds really good.

With that, I set up Room Equalization Wizard and did a very quick first-pass test sweep, just to check that things are working with the REL....

Next, I'll see if I can smooth out some peaks and nulls and get the response above 4K up a skosh...

Like your Harbeth setup, very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Like your Harbeth setup, very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you.

So, this is where I'll be heading with my "experiments" with the Harbeths...a Design of Experiments (aka DOE) to fine-tune the in-room response.

Some of you may remember this study from back 2011 when I did it for optimizing my Dynaudio Contour S3.4s (oops, can I say that in a Harbeth forum? ).

Below is the ANOVA table and Leverage plots in JMP 10 for the 20 Hz response based on the DOE.

The prediction profiler telling me where to set the Sub's controls for maximal response at the room mode peaks and nulls.

And, of course. the surface plot for correcting a 155 Hz mode...

For the 'Beths, I'll probably be also looking at subwoofer position relative to the corner walls its sitting in. I'll use distance from the two walls as the continuous data variable.

I'll be using JMP 14 and a Custom Design so that I can add quadratics to the model to examine curvature in the functional responses.

When I showed this DOE to Stirling Trayle, he was all over it...

"The power of DOE compels you!"

So, this is where I'll be heading with my "experiments" with the Harbeths...a Design of Experiments (aka DOE) to fine-tune the in-room response.

Some of you may remember this study from back 2011 when I did it for optimizing my Dynaudio Contour S3.4s (oops, can I say that in a Harbeth forum? ).

Below is the ANOVA table and Leverage plots in JMP 10 for the 20 Hz response based on the DOE.

The prediction profiler telling me where to set the Sub's controls for maximal response at the room mode peaks and nulls.

And, of course. the surface plot for correcting a 155 Hz mode...

For the 'Beths, I'll probably be also looking at subwoofer position relative to the corner walls its sitting in. I'll use distance from the two walls as the continuous data variable.

I'll be using JMP 14 and a Custom Design so that I can add quadratics to the model to examine curvature in the functional responses.

When I showed this DOE to Stirling Trayle, he was all over it...

"The power of DOE compels you!"
    There has to be an easier way... Harbeth 30.2 in room, real-time frequency response measurementsHarbeth 30.2 in room, real-time frequency response measurements

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    There has to be an easier way... Harbeth 30.2 in room, real-time frequency response measurementsHarbeth 30.2 in room, real-time frequency response measurements
    Actually, this IS the easiest way. Ask any good engineer.

I used to do this type of stuff for living as a Design for Six Sigma Master Black Belt working with molecular biologists, engineeers and scientists developing complex DNA and sample prep chemistries, DNA sequencers and genetic analyzers, and there is no other way to simultaneously examine multiple factors driving multiple functional responses, especially when there are conflicting responses (the cause of factor interactions).

Doing the experiments are easy; and JMP makes the analysis easy, too.

Actually, this IS the easiest way. Ask any good engineer.
    Yeah, right.

That's remarkably smooth. Almost too much so, in the bass. Top looks about right. What resolution are you using? Where is the mic?

I wouldn't do that. That is a "summed" pressure response at a single pressure mic position. It gives info, but that isn't quite what your 2 ears binaural hearing system hears. Move the mic around a bit more, watch the bass holes fill and see other peaks. I would go very gently there, especially boosting to fill pressure nulls. That will affect the direct response of the speaker, which is mixed in to that "summed" response. Possibly for the worse.
    Take one range at a time, bass/mid/treble. Make gentle adjustments with one only, use your 2 ears to test the results with a wide variety of familiar tracks. It's very easy to go astray here. Based on the direct native responses of the speaker, I'd leave the bass alone, maybe add a shallow broad Q dip centered around 4k and then a bit of boost >12k....depending on your age.

cheers,

AJ

Stephen, Are you planning on using any type of equalizer? I assumed you were just playing with your subs crossover controls and room positioning of mains and the sub, perhaps listening position??
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Esoteric Grandioso C1X Solo PreAmp, Bricasti M21 DAC, M32 Mono Amplifiers, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server with 4TB internal SSD
    Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Alpha NR v2 PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - Alpha CGS cables
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 2.0 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS under
    Everest and Amplifiers, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, ROON, a few HRS weighs

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    That's remarkably smooth. Almost too much so, in the bass. Top looks about right. What resolution are you using? Where is the mic?

I wouldn't do that. That is a "summed" pressure response at a single pressure mic position. It gives info, but that isn't quite what your 2 ears binaural hearing system hears. Move the mic around a bit more, watch the bass holes fill and see other peaks. I would go very gently there, especially boosting to fill pressure nulls. That will affect the direct response of the speaker, which is mixed in to that "summed" response. Possibly for the worse.
    Take one range at a time, bass/mid/treble. Make gentle adjustments with one only, use your 2 ears to test the results with a wide variety of familiar tracks. It's very easy to go astray here. Based on the direct native responses of the speaker, I'd leave the bass alone, maybe add a shallow broad Q dip centered around 4k and then a bit of boost >12k....depending on your age.

cheers,

AJ
    Thanks, AJ!

This was very helpful info, I will try out some of your suggestions. The mic is at one of my two primary listening positions, 7 ft 6 in. from each speaker. The speakers, per Harbeth's guidance are 2 meters apart, center to center.

As for resolution, I am using 1:3 in REW. I'll move the mic around a bit and see what happens.

Craig also suggested moving the speakers around, so I'll play with that a bit, as well. That was a good suggestion that I want to investigate just to learn what happens when I do that (we learn by doing experiments, that's the fun part! )

I'm not an acoustical engineer, so what is a Q-dip? I'm not sure how I would add it w/o some form of equalization. As for a boost above 12K, I have no way to affect that, either. I have an external tone control that I could try if inclined (The Delicious One from Alberto).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
    Stephen, Are you planning on using any type of equalizer? I assumed you were just playing with your subs crossover controls and room positioning of mains and the sub, perhaps listening position??
    Hi Craig,
    No, no plans on using an equalizer. You're correct that I'm just playing with sub's controls: Gain and Crossover. The control that has the biggest effect is the Gain control.

And yes, I am just playing with the position of the mains and sub, to an extent. I'm going to take you up on your suggestion to move the mains around a bit. Right now, they are about 31" in front of the front wall (which is a half-wall, BTW) I don't have much wiggle room as my space is small...you guys would be "shocked", its not a dedicated listening room, but...it works and...it sounds really good. I'm trying do the best I can with what I have to work with. The good thing is, Harbeths work really well with both near-field and mid-field listening.

So, I followed up on Craig's suggestion and have been playing around with placement of the 30.2s. I turned the sub off to fine-tune the position of the mains, and I'm using a laser "tape measure" to measure the position of the mic to each speaker.

This plot is from my "#2" listening position, which is along a diagonal; there is effectively no back wall in this config, as the speakers fire down a 30' long hallway. This is how I listened to my Dyns for many years for "critical listening". The speakers are 9 1/2 feet from the mic; the speakers are ~2 meters apart per Harbeth's guidance.

This plot is double the resolution of the previous plot, with a 1:6 smoothing and is the average of both the L and R channels. Target SPL is 75 dB, so the horizontal reference line is set to that in the plot.

I dunno, this seems to be lookin' pretty good....as Craig mentioned, looks like I want the sub to bring up just in the range under 80 Hz.

Sorry for late response, it's been a madhouse here due to impending hurricane.
    The mic is at one of my two primary listening positions, 7 ft 6 in. from each speaker. The speakers, per Harbeth's guidance are 2 meters apart, center to center. As for resolution, I am using 1:3 in REW. I'll move the mic around a bit and see what happens.
    You should use at least 1/6th octave, or the psychoacoustic smoothing option, looks like you've done the former. That will help identify any peaks in bass that may need mitigation.

I'm not an acoustical engineer, so what is a Q-dip? I'm not sure how I would add it w/o some form of equalization. As for a boost above 12K, I have no way to affect that, either. I have an external tone control that I could try if inclined (The Delicious One from Alberto).
    The Q is essentially the frequency width/range of your boost/cut. Since you are not using EQ, its moot.
    I would not have moved speakers based on you first graph despite the too low resolution, unless there were problems with sound/bass/imaging. Moving the mic around would show how much the bass changes over small distances...and why boosting nulls/dips isn't a great idea. Judicious cuts to peaks are ok.

This plot is double the resolution of the previous plot, with a 1:6 smoothing and is the average of both the L and R channels. Target SPL is 75 dB, so the horizontal reference line is set to that in the plot.

I dunno, this seems to be lookin' pretty good....as Craig mentioned, looks like I want the sub to bring up just in the range under 80 Hz.
    Try posting individual L R (1/6th), not averaged. Agree the sub may need to come up a bit. How does it sound?

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Harbeth 30.2 in room, real-time frequency response measurements