Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

New # 5101 SACD/CD/DAC

At Munich Levinson introduced a new SACD/CD player with streaming capability and inputs to the DAC. The MSRP will be $5500.00 USD

In a discussion on the unit a guy quickly pointed out Levinson neglected to add a volume control to allow the 5101 to act as a preamp for direct to amp connection. That probably would have been a good feature allowing it to mate with the 532h power amp. Then again, maybe they plan to introduce a preamp, we shall see.

The 5101 is said to be shipping 4th quarter, which is real soon.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

New # 5101 SACD/CD/DAC

Nice, I am looking for a good but not crazily priced streaming DAC for the summer house.

Why not a streaming DAC CD/ SACD player...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: New # 5101 SACD/CD/DAC

Well I have the Levinson 5101, actually I got the first one that my Levinson dealer received. I had preordered it way before it came out and I am absolutely thrilled with it. I love the MusicLife app that controls it from my iPhone and iPad, it is so user friendly. It’s hooked up to my Levinson 585 integrated amp and the dac in it is absolutely amazing. I called up Levinson to ask which of the 2 pieces should I use as my dac and they shared with me that the 5101 was superior.

It would still be fun to do a comparison of the two DAC's. Is the Music Life app a Levinson app? I didn't realize they had on.

Quote Originally Posted by Garybart View Post
    Well I have the Levinson 5101, actually I got the first one that my Levinson dealer received. I had preordered it way before it came out and I am absolutely thrilled with it. I love the MusicLife app that controls it from my iPhone and iPad, it is so user friendly. It’s hooked up to my Levinson 585 integrated amp and the dac in it is absolutely amazing. I called up Levinson to ask which of the 2 pieces should I use as my dac and they shared with me that the 5101 was superior.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Actually the MusicLife app is a Levinson app and it works together with the Levinson No5000 Kontrol app so that it can control any of the preamps in the 5000 series.
    It’s funny that you asked about doing a comparison with the 2 dacs because that was the first thing that I did once they were hooked up together. They were a little different but so close in sound that I wasn’t sure which I preferred and that’s when I called up Levinson to get there thoughts. Now that I am real familiar with the way that the dac in the 5101 sounds after listening to it for long periods of time I think that I am going to go back and use the dac in the 585 for a while and see which one I prefer now.

Hi Gary, welcome to the forums.

You could establish a digital connection from the 5101 to the 585 so you can quickly go back and forth by switching inputs.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Thank you, that’s how I have it set up so that I can change it back and for. There signatures are so similar that without spending some time listening to one first for a period of time I think that it would be impossible to figure out which one I like better. So now that I have a lot of hours listening from the 5101 dac this will be the test going to the 585 dac and really getting used to that. Then I will go back to do side by side comparisons going back and forth. It’s all great fun and I just love constantly tweaking my systems.
    Mark Levinson 5101 streamer, dac sacd player feeding into a Levinson 585 integrated amp using Kimber Kable silver streak XLR cables. Along with Legacy Focus SE speakers using Kimber Kable BiFocal speaker cables and Its all plugged into a P.S. Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 15.
    That’s the system the I have upstairs, now here is my system downstairs.
    SimAudio 390 preamp dac streamer connected to a SimAudio 330a power amp again using Kimber Kable silver streak XLR cables. Also an
    Oppo BDP-105d player. The are feeding into my Wilson Watt Puppy 7’s via Kimber Kable Monocle speaker cables and they are all powered by a PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12.
    2 separate systems so totally different but both so pleasing I’m really not sure on any given day which I prefer

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New # 5101 SACD/CD/DAC