Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dynaudio Contour 60

Hi to all, that is my first post here.
    I just bought a pair of new Dynaudio Contour 60 to replace my old Contour 3.3.
    I'm using them in a 70sqm space with two Linn 240W monoblocks, a phase linear 3000 pre + Cordette DAC.
    I listens mainly to Jazz, Classic and Ethnic.
    In the same room a have several music instruments including a Bluthner baby grand piano.
    With the 20 years old contour 3.3 this set-up was just wonderful. Huge but clean 3D space, natural sound of instruments and voices, crisp and lifelike cymbals, deep bass in orchestral recordings, clean but textured vocals. Totally easy to get lost in music. With jazz recordings the feeling to have the performance in front of you is constant. How did i was figuring out an improvement over the Contour 3.3? A bit more body and authority in chamber music, some more texture in bass region, and something more which however i was not able to figure out.
    Then the Contour 60 arrived. I positioned them similar to the contour 3.3, 2 meter from the back wall, 1 meter from the side walls, about 3.3m between each speaker. I tried many other positions however his seems the best one.
    After 100 hours of burn in following are my impressions:

Slightly unnatural musical timbre of all instruments.
    Veiled timbre of musical instruments.
    Every sound seems to reverberate slightly inside a cheap wooden box.
    No 3D space at all, nor horizontal nor vertical.
    The musical space starts and ends on the speaker surface.
    Impossible to get lost in to the recording.

I did extensive listening with 3 people, two of them are musicians, and everyone totally agrees that the loss in
    sound quality is unbelievable compared to the Contour 3.3.

Totally disappointed.
    I don't like the audiophile hobby, i just want to listen to music. I do not want to replace the amplification. By spending 9.000 Euro (i got the contour 3.3 for 1200 Euro) i'm expecting at least a small improvement.
    By sure i do not expect to loose every joy in to listening to music.
    What i'm doing wrong?
    Thanks for any help or advise.

Re: Dynaudio Contour 60

Just went through the same thing going from Magico S3s to S3 mk2s. You will need to fine tune the speaker placement after new speakers are broken in.
    Boulder 2160 and 2110, Esoteric K01XD, Magico S3s mk2s, 2 REL carbon special subs, Authentic Audio Images Assoluto cables, Stromtank 2500 mk2, HRS M3x isolation pads, Stillpoint ultra ss v2 footers, Dedicated sub panel in the room and dedicated sound room with ASC tube traps and Vicoustics treatments

Some years back I received a new pair of speakers that sounded awful. Yet I had previously heard this model and really liked them.
    After some trial and error I discovered that one of the speakers was internally wired backwards (out of phase). By inverting the speaker cable connections at the speaker terminals everything snapped into place. I later corrected the problem inside the enclosure.
    Don't be afraid to try inverting the speaker wire connections on one speaker first and then on both the speakers to see if that helps.
    Some equipment is phase inverting and with some speakers it doesn't matter.
    Worth a try.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

I just went through the same thing trying to replace my old Beethovens. I really thought buying a class a speaker that listed at 5 times the price was a no brainer and in your case staying with the same brand, even line it’s surprising. I don’t know if the contour is a Chinese box or in house. The C60 outwardly looks like a bargain compared to the kanta2 or persona3f that cost the same. I have found placement changes can make profound changes in a speakers personality and it’s free.

theyre tall and supposedly dynaudio tweaks the xover to steer the tweeter but try tilting them. I have way more money in hifi than I planned and was actually considering the C60 to replace my $80k dsp’s, now a home audition is in order.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Quote Originally Posted by Solecky View Post
    Just went through the same thing going from Magico S3s to S3 mk2s. You will need to fine tune the speaker placement after new speakers are broken in.
    +1 Hang in there!! Complete break-in first before making any other changes. Your dealer should have a pretty good idea of how many hours this should take. (My Magico S3 Mk2s took about 500 hours, of which the first half were pretty ugly.)

Quote Originally Posted by david rossmann View Post

I did extensive listening with 3 people, two of them are musicians, and everyone totally agrees that the loss in

Totally disappointed.
    I don't like the audiophile hobby, i just want to listen to music. I do not want to replace the amplification. By spending 9.000 Euro (i got the contour 3.3 for 1200 Euro) i'm expecting at least a small improvement.
    What i'm doing wrong?
    There is a good possibility they need more 'break in' time. My Dyn C1's needed 450hrs. But at 125hrs they sounded horrible. No lows or highs. That lasted about 25 hrs. They only got better from there.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Thanks you everybody for your advises. Cable polarity was not the issue. Let's them break in more time. Something similar happened to me with the Border Patrol dac. The first day it was just ridiculous. After 4-5 days it was way better but, compared to the my cheap but good SMSL m8a, not worth the price difference. Let's see if with the the contour 60 the break in time will do such an incredible difference. Thanks again for your advises.

P.S.
    Why the hell they let the client make the break in process? I mean speakers are not shoes! music is highly social, hundredths or even thousands of people go to the same concert...why with speakers or headphones suddenly everything is sold as a very personal experience? Anyway... lets' see.

Loved the sound of Contour 60. Don’t change anything until 500 hrs . Give them some time to break in .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

Hi David, welcome to the forum.

I heard the 60's and thought they sound great with more liveliness and top end energy.

If you bought the 3.3 new, you should remember going mad waiting for them to break in. If not, and, you bought them used, Dynaudio takes a tremendous amount of break in time. If you stream or have a tuner, I recommend letting them play while at work or other out of the home periods to get more hours on them.

Also, if memory serves, aren't the 3.3 a sealed enclosure with a larger than 6" woofer? Or, I may be thinking of the old 3.0. It took a monster amp to get those things going in a sealed enclosure. However, I digress, LOL

Be patient, I think you'll eventually have a happy ending to this.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Hi to all, that is my first post here.
    I just bought a pair of new Dynaudio Contour 60 to replace my old Contour 3.3.

After 100 hours of burn in following are my impressions:

Totally disappointed.
    What i'm doing wrong?
    Hi David, Welcome to Audioshark and congratulations on your new Dynaudio Contour 60s.

I know exactly what is going on here with your new speakers.

GSOphile, Octadyndude and Paul are correct.

Dynaudios are VERY well-known for needing a minimum of 300 hours and possibly as many as 450 hours of play to "run in".

This is a VERY consistent and well-documented requirement for running in brand-new Dynaudio loudspeakers.

Here's how it goes: initially, upon first purchase, they sound pretty good. At approx. 100 hours, they start to sound bad. From 150 to 250-275 hours, they can sound REALLY bad. After 275 hours or so, they will start to sound a LOT better. Dyns from about 10 years ago took 300 hours and at 300 hrs, it was like flipping a switch.."Bing!" And they would be "there" and sound glorious. I"ve heard the later models can take up to 450 hours or so.

So, at 100 hours, you are just getting into the "they sound REALLY bad, I can't stand it, I'm going to sell them" phase. This phase will continue for at least another 150 and could be as long as another 300 hours. I've been through this myself twice from installing upgraded Dynaudio tweeters, so I know the phenomenon very well. I've also experienced "the switch has just flipped and they sound glorius" first-hand a number of times.

Whatever you do, DO NOT sell them. I can't tell you the number of guys I've known over the years that have bought Contours, Confidence C1s, C2s, etc. and got to this phase, and despite other Dynaudio owners telling them to "hang in there, they'll get there", they sold them....only to really regret it later.

There is nothing wrong with how your speakers are wired interally, so DO NOT take them apart, you will just void your warranty. Dynaudio is one of the truly great loudspeaker companies, and manufacture with very high quality standards and checks during assembly.

With respect to positioning, of course positioning is important, but this is not what you are experiencing. You're experiencing the very well-known "Dyns sound awful during break-in" phase.

Once you get the Dyns past the break-in/running in" phase, you will know it as they will sound absolutely glorious. As I've mentioned above, once they get there, it will almost be like flipping a switch. You can tweak positioning to your hearts content at that point.

This video by Ronald Hoffman at Dynaudio also gives some very good general advice about placement, listening position, roo modes, etc. https://youtu.be/8b1W7QgqhR8

I've found this video from Bob Robbins to be the best practical set of instruction with respect to speaker setup and positioning. HIs guidance has gotten me closest to the ideal of having Stirling Trayle come to my house to do setup. https://youtu.be/84Pf0ycbyBM

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out with any other questions you may have.

Regards,
    Stephen aka Puma Cat

Thanks you everybody for your advises.

P.S.
    Why the hell they let the client make the break in process? I mean speakers are not shoes! music is highly social, hundredths or even thousands of people go to the same concert...why with speakers or headphones suddenly everything is sold as a very personal experience? Anyway... lets' see.
    David, please don't take this the wrong way, I mean this with utmost respect, but...it is what it is. They not only sound bad now, but they could sound even worse between 150-250 hours.

This may come across like "tough love", but ya just have go through this phase to get to the "really good stuff"!

If you think requiring 300-500 hours is bad, its not really, its all a matter of perspective.

My Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp, with all its massive Teflon capacitors took well over 1000 hours to burn in, about 1500 hours. It took me a good two years of regular play to get the CT-5 burned in, so from my personal perspective, 300-500 hours is a piece of cake.

So...hang in there. Patience will be rewarded!

"All good things will come to those that wait."

Best, Stephen aka Puma Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    David, please don't take this the wrong way, I mean this with utmost respect, but...it is what it is. They not only sound bad now, but they could sound even worse between 150-250 hours.

This may come across like "tough love", but ya just have go through this phase to get to the "really good stuff"!

If you think requiring 300-500 hours is bad, its not really, its all a matter of perspective.

My Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp, with all its massive Teflon capacitors took well over 1000 hours to burn in, about 1500 hours. It took me a good two years of regular play to get the CT-5 burned in, so from my personal perspective, 300-500 hours is a piece of cake.

So...hang in there. Patience will be rewarded!

"All good things will come to those that wait."

Best, Stephen aka Puma Cat
    It’s on how you define bad, it should still be tolerable just not preferable. Things do mature, but 1500 hours, I could be dead by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    It’s on how you define bad, it should still be tolerable just not preferable. Things do mature, but 1500 hours, I could be dead by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Ha! Yeah, it was frustrating for a while there...burning in the CT-5. Fortunately, I had my Premier 17LS to listen to as well.

Thanks again for your advises and Puma Cat for the interesting links. In order to speed up the break in process the dealer asked me to put the speakers one in front of each other, invert the polarity on one of them and let them play for at least two-three weeks. Yesterday i followed the instructions and i discovered that i can play the music at relatively strong volume without any problem. By inverting the polarity the sound waves seem to "die" absorbed inside the speakers. The funny thing is that some recordings are completely absorbed and other ones much less. Probably as stronger the stereo image is, less is the sound absorbed inside the boxes.
    A part from that it's the first time in my life that I push a car up the hill to see how it rolls down.

I had a pair of speakers the dealer told me needed break in time, the return policy was 7 days so of course I ate them. More often than not a speaker will be affected by the room acoustics and I just won't buy new without a home demo first anymore. That said your experience with those speakers is contrary to what dynaudio is known for

Thanks again for your advises and Puma Cat for the interesting links. In order to speed up the break in process the dealer asked me to put the speakers one in front of each other, invert the polarity on one of them and let them play for at least two-three weeks. Yesterday i followed the instructions and i discovered that i can play the music at relatively strong volume without any problem. By inverting the polarity the sound waves seem to "die" absorbed inside the speakers. The funny thing is that some recordings are completely absorbed and other ones much less. Probably as stronger the stereo image is, less is the sound absorbed inside the boxes.
    A part from that it's the first time in my life that I push a car up the hill to see how it rolls down.
    Yes, this is a very good way to break in your new Dynaudios. Also, some of the "hours" you need are to burn in the components on the crossover, the inductors and caps, and the internal cabling and the voice coils, which are massive at 3". The air core inductors in the crossover generally use pretty large gauge solid copper wire and can take a while to burn in.

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    I had a pair of speakers the dealer told me needed break in time, the return policy was 7 days so of course I ate them. More often than not a speaker will be affected by the room acoustics and I just won't buy new without a home demo first anymore. That said your experience with those speakers is contrary to what dynaudio is known for
    Actually, David's experience with Dynaudios is 100% concordant with Dynaudio speaker break-in behavior and time required. Of course the room acoustics play a role, but that is not what David is describing.

Thinking back, my Audience 82s took a long time to break in and as said, they did get worse before they got better.

My 42s came broken in after being used as Demos at a Show.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

I meant dynaudio has a good reputation and the character he describes isn’t the dynaudio ‘house sound’. As to break in, I had a pair of audience 80’s but returned them b4 they had time to sound nasty.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Still breaking in. Tonal balance improved slightly. Today i tried to vary the positioning as much as possible. Tried to follow some indications and positioning techniques. Sound stage is still totally flat, blurry, dull. No way to hide the speakers. Simply crazy. Will continue to break in the speakers. If one day this speakers sound better as the contour 3.3 i will start to dedicate some time to alchemy.

Still breaking in. Tonal balance improved slightly. Today i tried to vary the positioning as much as possible. Tried to follow some indications and positioning techniques. Sound stage is still totally flat, blurry, dull. No way to hide the speakers. Simply crazy. Will continue to break in the speakers. If one day this speakers sound better as the contour 3.3 i will start to dedicate some time to alchemy.
    Just hang in there, David. This is the "rough spell" and it may get worse before it gets better. I would not start drawing any initial conclusions until you get past 300 hours and it may take 450 hours or so.

There is something wrong with either your system or your hearing. I own the 60’s and they have sounded very good since brand new with 4 different amplifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    There is something wrong with either your system or your hearing. I own the 60’s and they have sounded very good since brand new with 4 different amplifiers.
    That's interesting dznutz. I hope my hearing is not so bad. The fact that my previous setup (with the contour 3.3) was so much appreciated by most people visiting me at my home let's me think my hearing is not so bad.
    The only thing i can say is that after roughly 150 hours of break in the C60 start to sound nicer as out of the box.
    However the cymbals are far away from being so lifelike as with the C3.3, percussions are far away from being so punchy and close as with the C3.3, sound stage is still more blurry as with the C3.3. Cymbals are veiled, percussion sound 10 meters far away. Anyway much much better as during the first week. But i can start to listen to music again which is good.
    Still i have to say that if with the used 1.200 euro Contours 3.3, which i bought two years ago, i had the impression to own a 15.000 Euro speaker, with the Contour 60 i have the impression to own a 1.200 Euro speaker. Brand new the the C60 sounded like a 300 Euro speaker. May your C60 have been beaked in for some reason by the manufacturer.
    Anyway let's wait till i have the 300-400 hours of break in. The stupid thing is that it will take me a few months to reach the 300-400 hours. Many people told me it makes not sense to make break in at low volumes and i cannot let them play loud 24h a day. Why this speaker companies do not just rent a break-in hangar in order to deliver a ready-to-enjoy product?

I thought pointing the speakers at each other within a foot of each other and playing 1 box out of phase the spl would be tolerable? I have recently sold several pair of used speakers out of my house and what I found interesting was that after 30 minutes or so the speakers would sound great but before that, not so much. I leave my electronics on all the time so that wasn't it.
    It's good to hear your new speakers are getting better with time, hopefully these guys are right and they fit your room as good as the last ones did.

Any updates

Audioshark

This is a line I almost picked up. The contour 60’s were good for rock and played loud, but the new confidence line I just didn’t love. To be fair, I need some more demos as I only heard them 3 times, including Munich.

Hope you get the issues solved with your 60’s.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

FWIW...I've heard Dynaudio speakers several times paired with Moon gear and always came away very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    This is a line I almost picked up. The contour 60’s were good for rock and played loud, but the new confidence line I just didn’t love. To be fair, I need some more demos as I only heard them 3 times, including Munich.

Hope you get the issues solved with your 60’s.

Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

Hi, i stopped to break in the speakers. In my family we all work from home so the music 12 or 24h/day is simply disturbing. I can listen maximum 1-2 hours every 2-3 days. If i'm lucky the C60 will be break-in within 3 years.
    The most silly purchase of my life. I cannot understand how customers are willed to pay in order to torture their own ears for 400 hours.
    The old Contour 3.3 still sounds much better as the C60. More natural, more controlled bass, brilliant treble, perfect mids, wonderful and huge sound-stage, easier to position, gentle with old recordings, minimal and discrete design.
    Seriously thinking to sell the C60 away.
    Thank you everybody for your help.

Audioshark

Hi, i stopped to break in the speakers. In my family we all work from home so the music 12 or 24h/day is simply disturbing. I can listen maximum 1-2 hours every 2-3 days. If i'm lucky the C60 will be break-in within 3 years.
    The most silly purchase of my life. I cannot understand how customers are willed to pay in order to torture their own ears for 400 hours.
    The old Contour 3.3 still sounds much better as the C60. More natural, more controlled bass, brilliant treble, perfect mids, wonderful and huge sound-stage, easier to position, gentle with old recordings, minimal and discrete design.
    Seriously thinking to sell the C60 away.
    Thank you everybody for your help.
    I wish you luck. I think you’ve mentally decided these aren’t the right speakers for you. Best to sell them and move on. May I suggest a pair of Salon 2’s or Studio 2’s in the same price range. The Revel tweeter is smoooooth. Just bring a big ass powerful amp and subs help them a lot.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I'm using ocean waves to break the speakers in at night. I have a dedicated listening room though, so I can close the door though. Ocean waves do not disturb anyone when played on a moderate levels. Just a thought.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

I don't know the 3.3's so don't know what to say? Your logic makes sense, you liked the previous dane's so who wouldn't expect the newer model to be an improvement. Here's the catch, we get used to what our old speakers do/did better than the rest and often in the quest for sonic perfection companies engineer the personality out of the speakers.(not saying thats the case here). I, personally, gave up and got off the merry go round. picking speakers only to spend years and thousands on component matching, screw that. Buy used, compare prices, and when you find the pair you like either keep the used pair or sell them to finance a new pair in the finish you want. Over the last 5 years I went thru a half dozen full range floorstanders, getting to spend as much time as I wanted and i'm only out the gas and driving time after reselling them. I think it takes months to really get to know the sound of a pair of speakers, the rest of the time is inching them around the room while playing different tracks. Good luck brother.

Thanks to dynaudio contour 60 i stopped to listen to music. 500 hours break in time...that is totally insane. You have to be a fanatic and proud to be a fanatic to play that game. I'm not. I have little time to dedicate to music. This time is very precious. I just want to enjoy music. This glossy speakers are boomy too. Awful. For me dynaudio can close the production plant. I never, but never, will buy again a brand new speaker.

If you are so disappointed then Im sure your Dealer will take them back.

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    If you are so disappointed then Im sure your Dealer will take them back.
    I would be surprised considering he took our advice and broke them in for 500 hours.

If they were purchased through a Dealer, and he is so unhappy that he is posting on a forum halfway around the world then Im sure he can convince his Dealer to take them back.

And do we know that the break-in was done as he has not acknowledged how many hours he has actually put on them only that he quit listening to them.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Indeed the first thing i did, as soon i discovered that the divine beauty of the contour 60 is unveiled only by a 500 hours torture, was to ask the dealer to take them back. For some complicated reasons they are not willed to take them back. Probably because this speakers are a B Stock selection (they are supposed to have a finish defect which however i wasn't able to discover).
    Anyway, as stated previously they have now roughly 150 hours of break in. Most of this break in was done during the first two weeks but then my wife and my daughter told me to stop which is reasonable.

If your dealer didn’t take them back, can they at least break them in for you?

Audioshark

Did you demo these speakers in the store ahead of time? These speakers to me have big bass, good for rock and not much else.

Good point...the only problem is that the dealer is in sweden and i live in italy. I vould have to pay other 700 euro shipping cost. Moreover i think they will not do the job for free. If they only vould have told me in advance...

No Mike, i not demoed the speakers in advance. The same i did with the contour 3.3. With the c3.3 great surprise, with the c60 a nightmare.
    But in someway you are right. It's my fault.

Audioshark

No Mike, i not demoed the speakers in advance. The same i did with the contour 3.3. With the c3.3 great surprise, with the c60 a nightmare.
    To be fair, you aren’t the first and won’t be the last to buy speakers without demoing them first. I purchased a few myself without hearing them first and they turned out to be nightmares! SF Aida’s come to mind. That being said, the new version of the Aida sounds quite a bit better. But I digress...

Anyway, I think you should just post them for sale and move on. You have lots of great options in Europe for speakers. Maybe look in your own backyard!

I wouldn’t lose money selling them without exhausting my dealers inventory of power amps first, even gear I cannot afford if I only to get a handle on why such well regarded speakers suck. It’s possible they’re defective from the factory, unlikely but possible.

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    I wouldn’t lose money selling them without exhausting my dealers inventory of power amps first, even gear I cannot afford if I only to get a handle on why such well regarded speakers suck. It’s possible they’re defective from the factory, unlikely but possible.
    my problem is that my dealer is 2000 km far away. In the area i live in Italy there are no dealers at all . So it's pretty complicated to play the try and error game. The last try i will give is by replacing my old linn monobloks with one krell 400xi which i found for 1.000 euro on ebay. Let's see.

Krell & Dynaudio are typically a good match.

my problem is that my dealer is 2000 km far away. In the area i live in Italy there are no dealers at all . So it's pretty complicated to play the try and error game. The last try i will give is by replacing my old linn monobloks with one krell 400xi which i found for 1.000 euro on ebay. Let's see.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Krell & Dynaudio are typically a good match.
    The Krell KAV 400xi arrived very quickly.
    The sound improved in every sense. My Linn/Phase-Linear set-up had an output of 240w x ch 4 Ohm, now i get 400 w x ch.
    However the sound is still congested towards the center. There is no air around the musical scene.
    That is one of the impressive characteristics i experience with the contour 3.3.
    Could that be a speaker positioning issue?
    Less boomy as before, bass is more controlled.
    Still missing the C3.3.

Not sure how the C60's are positioned in your room but you may to try spreading them out further and toeing them in more to try and get more focus in the center. I personally found with Dyn's due to their wide dispersion tweeters that too much toe in can cause some pretty bright highs. But that was also with C2's and not so much with C1's. The other thing you might try is even less toe in but that may take away the focus in the center imaging.

That said since Goertek took over as the majority shareholder I feel they have voiced their speakers differently. IMO instead of being a very natural sound from top to bottom they now have even deeper but sloppier lows with a more forward mids and highs. I can see where that sound would appeal to some folks but not all - like me. I also have yet to hear the new confidence cf series. As much as I loved Dyn's and I was a super hard Dyn fan to me they went off in a direction that is not my cup of tea. Could be why you prefer the C3.3. I liked the C3.4 and C5.4 but really disliked the 3.4LE. I felt to was much brighter and forward.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Honestly, 150 hours is nothing on breaking in a Dynaudio. Maybe let them play while no one is home to bother if the occasion arises to get more hours in.

They do love some current like the Krell can provide.

Is the soundstage all in the center or is it more like the mids are compressed, lack of air around instruments/vocals? I would try some experimenting with speaker placement to see if it effects your issue either way.

I thought the 60's sounded good when I heard them at the show, I think they were using Levinson. I actually heard two rooms with them. I can't remember what electronics on the other. But the show isn't like having a good sit down listen in a familiar environment.

I do hope whatever is causing the issue gets worked out, I can certainly empathize with having bought a piece of disappointing gear.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I listened to the C60s for an hour the other day in a far from optimal setting. They were spread out wider than most people have room to do and they just disappeared leaving a wall of music. Electronics were the Luxman 505uxii I am about to order with the Luxman D06 player and a Chord DAC. Fabulous sound. When switching from the Dyns to the DeVor o93s, it was a little bit of a disappointment even though the DeVores sound great.

The Grey Oak High Gloss was stunning as a finish.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

As an aside, Jeff Fritz, Editor-In-Chief of the Soundstage! Network, was looking for speakers for his new reference system and was seriously considering the C60s (before ultimately choosing Vimberg Tondas). As a point of reference, his previous references were Magico Q7s (165,000 USD MSRP). Although his new reference is intentionally scaled toward a more affordable system, I doubt he would have even mentioned the C60s if he didn't hold them in high regard. So like others on this thread, I am puzzled by David's bad experience and would second Mr Peabody's suggestion to look carefully into speaker positioning aspects.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Dynaudio Contour 60