Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Qobuz Chief talks about the music streaming business

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markspa...usiness-today/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

2. Thanks bart thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Qobuz Chief talks about the music streaming business

Article helps illustrate some points on streaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45’s
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Keces P3 & P8 | Furutech GTX D NSF package | Dedicated 20 amp with Surge Guard | ADD POWR series
    Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not a steaming fan. Please correct me if I’m wrong but for the most part you at the mercy of the latest reissue of whatever you are streaming.

It might cost more purchasing multiple LP’s, CD’s etc. of the same album but I get to choose which one sounds the best to me and sell the rest.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Preamp: PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Bryston BDA-3 Music Server: ​Aurender N100H
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Eclipse 7 (I) Wireworld Eclipse 6 and 7 Biwired (S) Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB) AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Qobuz since they first offered their beta program in the US. Prior to that it was Tidal, and Spotify before Tidal. That said, vinyl is still very much my preference. I buy as much as I can. But I've got a small vinyl library, something just under 2000 albums. There's so much more music out there than what's on those LPs, as wonderful as they are.

Of course I'd rather it be on vinyl. But it isn't and I'm not going to let that stop me from discovering new music. There's only so much time and there's an ocean of music out there to be enjoyed. I can't buy everything I like. I just don't see a good alternative to streaming. You are indeed limited to whatever release is being streamed, some less good than others. I try to just listen and enjoy.

6. Likes FDPDK, MikeCh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
    I’m not a steaming fan. Please correct me if I’m wrong but for the most part you at the mercy of the latest reissue of whatever you are streaming.

It might cost more purchasing multiple LP’s, CD’s etc. of the same album but I get to choose which one sounds the best to me and sell the rest.

I own a lot of CDs and SACDs.
    I do love them and play them still very often.
    But I've noticed that a lot of my CDs bite in the dust when compared to their Qobuz 24/96 and 24/192 counterparts.
    Especially the remasters of older music are terrific, as are the new releases of classical and jazz, but also pop and rock.
    When you do a search on an album, the best quality version comes first.
    You could say I like to be at the mercy of Qobuz' choices.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Post Thanks / Like

I recently cancelled my Qobuz (and Tidal) accounts. I far prefer either physical media or hi-res files. It was nice to hear new releases, but out of the 500ish titles on my Play Lists, I only wanted to own maybe 25 titles, so I'm slowly replacing them. In every case, either an LP/CD/SACD/his-res file has more body and detail compared to the streamed version. I also decided that as a classical fan, I already own superior performances of many works compared to the latest whiz kids that both services promote.

UPDATE: I decided to keep Qobuz but still drop Tidal. After further soul-searching I decided there are enough good alternative recordings to ones I already own in order to justify the cost. Plus, I have limited storage space for discs, and since I'm retired, I don't have an unlimited budget. Qobuz definitively saves me a lot of money!
    DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and MrSpeakers Aeon Flow (closed) headphones
    ~John~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post

Life is too short for me to worry about versions. It either sounds good or it doesn't. I into listening to music not collecting it.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

10. Likes nicoff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Life is too short for me to worry about versions. It either sounds good or it doesn't. I into listening to music not collecting it.
    Hi Jim.... I’m really all about listening as well but when the loudness wars started I got burnt many times purchasing remastered CD’s and then Hi-Rez downloads to find they mostly inferior to CD’s from the 80’s and early 90’s. Of course vinyl still ruled IMHO.

So with that being said for the most part I really don’t care for what’s being remastered today. I do admit there are some outstanding remasters being done today but not many. Maybe if they were not so heavy handed on the gain control there would be many more outstanding remasters. Until then it’s either my vast vinyl collection, CD’s from the 80’s and early 90’s or the few recent remasters that are done correctly.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Preamp: PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Bryston BDA-3 Music Server: ​Aurender N100H
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Eclipse 7 (I) Wireworld Eclipse 6 and 7 Biwired (S) Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB) AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    I own a lot of CDs and SACDs.
    I do love them and play them still very often.
    But I've noticed that a lot of my CDs bite in the dust when compared to their Qobuz 24/96 and 24/192 counterparts.
    Especially the remasters of older music are terrific, as are the new releases of classical and jazz, but also pop and rock.
    When you do a search on an album, the best quality version comes first.
    You could say I like to be at the mercy of Qobuz' choices.
    Hi Bart...Qobuz certainly is not lacking in content which is of course part of its charm. If I was just starting out I probably would be gravitating to Qobuz but since I’ve been purchasing and listening to music for over 50 years I’m partial to what I have.

See my above reply to Jim on the reasons why.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Qobuz Chief talks about the music streaming business

Five or ten thousand albums in your collection? That’s nothing. No matter how large is one person’s physical collection of LPs and CD/SACD, it cannot compare in size to the 30-40 million tracks offered by the likes of Qobuz or Tidal. Not to mention the incremental pain of finding it as the physical collection gets larger!

Unless one’s collection is made of rare recordings, MOST folk’s collection is readily available on Qobuz and Tidal right now.

As far as remasters, again, most streaming services offer several versions of the same album. So one does not ‘lose’ an older version when a new, remastered version becomes available.

To me, it makes little sense to purchase expensive LPs or physical discs or even downloads when I can get the same music via CD-quality streaming. I am not getting rid of my existing collection of LPs but I certainly no longer listen to them as much as I used to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast