Qobuz Chief talks about the music streaming business - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Qobuz Chief talks about the music streaming business

I have been streaming TIDAL’s 44.1/16 FLAC files and recently the TIDAL MQA encoded files.
    Listening to the MQA files seemed to my aging ears to be a very artificial experience, especially the extreme bass and some strange “ringing” in the high register.

Today, I decided to try Qobuz and I signed up for the free trial. The transition was painless thank to the LUMIN app, which made it easy to compare identical tracks encoded in Tidal MQA and Qobuz FLAC 96/24.

The difference between the two formats was not subtle; Qobuz won the “contest” hands down, helped no doubt because my PS Audio Nu Wave DSD easily handled the D/A conversion. (My system also includes Krell pre and power amps connected to a pair of Martin-Logan Aeon-i electrostatic speakers and Sunfire sub).

I enjoy classical music, so I selected the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony performed by Ludovic Morlot and the Seattle Symphony. I have never heard my audio system sound so good - and other tracks with Billie Holiday and Diane Krall confirmed my initial impression.

I have cancelled Tidal ... R.I.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claus View Post
    I have been streaming TIDAL’s 44.1/16 FLAC files and recently the TIDAL MQA encoded files.
    Listening to the MQA files seemed to my aging ears to be a bit artificial, especially the extreme bass.

Today, I decided to try Qobuz and I signed up the free trial. The transition was painless thank to the LUMIN app, which made it easy to compare identical tracks encoded in Tidal MQA and Qobuz FLAC 96/24.

The difference between the two formats was not subtle; Qobuz won the “contest” hands down, helped no doubt because my PS Audio Nu Wave DSD easily handled the D/A conversion. My system includes Krell pre and power amps connected to a pair of Martin-Logan Aeon-i electrostatic speakers and Sunfire sub.

I enjoy classical music, so I selected the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony performed by Ludovic Morlot and the Seattle Symphony. I have never heard my audio system sound so good - and other tracks with Billie Holiday and Diane Krall confirmed my initial impression.

I have cancelled Tidal ...
    Be sure to check out this new Reference Recordings 24/192--it's a stunner!
    DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and MrSpeakers Aeon Flow (closed) headphones
    ~John~

Post Thanks / Like

Great recording! Thanks for steering me to Reference Recordings.

4. Likes Bachtoven liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed that Qobuz is streaming a FLAC 192/24 album - Norah Jones’ Come Away with Me.

Plays perfectly on my setup. Since the FLAC 96/24 streams uses up to 3 Mbps, I would expect that the 192/24 uses up to 6 Mbps?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2