Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Wilson Chronosonic XVX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Audioshark

Re: Wilson Chronosonic XVX

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

mauidan

Just got this email from "Joe P" since I posted in his Wilson
    XVX thread that was sent from Mike:

'You have been banned for the following reason:

No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    Just got this email from "Joe P" since I posted in his Wilson Chronosonis XVX thread that was sent from Mike:

'You have been banned for the following reason:

No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"
    He quoted a private message publicly. I had originally made a nice comment about Dave Wilson and he made a rude comment.

It was long overdue.

And frankly, I don’t need to give a reason.

I will have the opportunity to hear the XVX at the Midwest Debut event at Paragon on 7-November. That will be the third of this years Fall Music Series.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Audioshark

$329,000

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    [

$329,000

I think it looks stunning in the "Maroon" color. Don't care for the white with black .
    Jim

$329k ... ouch!

Is that a replacement for Alexandria ?
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Having 5 different drivers must have provided quite the engineering challenge in designing the crossovers.
    They do look impressive.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

$329k is just too much for my realm of reasonableness. Good for anyone that has a different sense of reason (and lots more dough), but that’s a ton of money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Amplification: DartZeel 468 (2) // DartZeel NHB18NS Mk. II
    Tuner: MagnumDynalab 108T/SE
    Table/Cart: J.Sikora Reference // Integrity HiFi Tru-Glider - DSAudio GrandMaster EX // Integrity HiFI Tru-Glider - Ortofon A Mono
    Equalizer/Phono Pre: DSAudio Master3
    Speakers: TAD R-1 MkII, REL Six Pack of REL Carbon Specials
    Power: Nordost QBase8 Mk3, QX4, Qkore1, 3 and 6 (chassis), QK1 (2), QV2 (2), Chord GroundAray (signal), Chord Line Aray (3), Chord Professional, AddPOWR EAU2 (2)
    DAC/Serv-stream: LampiZator Horizon/ Taiko Extreme
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond SE Speaker Cables
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond PCs (7), Evolution Acoustics 50 ohm (Zeel Connection), Nordost Odin2 IC (2), Nordost Valhalla II USB, CH Acoustic X20 IC, Final Touch Audio Elara PCs (6)
    AudioDesk Systeme RCM
    CMS Ultra 2.0 Footers TT (2) and TD (2), Revopods (2) and SortKones and EVPs where they work
    Critical Mass Systems Ultra-Q Rack > Silence Focus Amp Stands

I had the opportunity to hear the XVX last evening and will return this evening for another go. This is one very impressive speaker. The SQ, design, build quality and execution are impeccable. Last evening was a very casual event where we Daryl Wilson played us several tracks and walked us through the new design. In addition to Daryl both his mother and Bill Peugh attended from Wilson Audio. Dan D'agostino was there, as was Karen Sumner President of Transparent and John Quick representing dCS.

As you can imagine the XVX's were powered by Dan's Relentless amps. The source was both the Vivaldi stack and the Clearaudio Statement v2 turntable and all connected by Transparent Magnum Opus cabling. I will be returning this evening for the official event to hear them again.

IMG_1194.jpg
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I had the opportunity to hear the XVX last evening and will return this evening for another go. This is one very impressive speaker. The SQ, design, build quality and execution are impeccable. Last evening was a very casual event where we Daryl Wilson played us several tracks and walked us through the new design. In addition to Daryl both his mother and Bill Peugh attended from Wilson Audio. Dan D'agostino was there, as was Karen Sumner President of Transparent and John Quick representing dCS.

As you can imagine the XVX's were powered by Dan's Relentless amps. The source was both the Vivaldi stack and the Clearaudio Statement v2 turntable and all connected by Transparent Magnum Opus cabling. I will be returning this evening for the official event to hear them again.

IMG_1194.jpg
    Sounds like you likes them?

After seeing them statically at RMAF, I look forward to hear them next week in Seattle.

Why are the Momentum’s powered up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Audioshark

Looking good Jim. Glad you enjoyed the demo.

I believe they were powering the subsonic subs.

The demo especially the Stravinsky track was probably the best I have heard. It has been so long since my epiphany with the MBL extremes occurred and they produce a very different soundstage from the XVX. it Would not Be fair to say which is better. It has been a long time since I have had speaker envy.

I was so disappointed that I wasn't able to attend tonight's listening session at Paragon in Ann Arbor to hear the new Wilson's. Sadly, a client meeting at the last minute necessitated my stay here in Ohio. Perhaps they'll be at AXPONA 2020 in Chicago? (*wink, wink, nudge, nudge*)

Not that I'd be able to ever afford a pair (or the other ancillary equipment listed by still-one), but it is nice to hear what is possible every now and again.
    Electronics: Pass Labs XP-22, Pass Labs X250.8
    Digital: T+A DAC 200, Auralic Aries G1, Sony UBP-X800M
    Analog: Pro-Ject X2 w/ Ortofon 2M Black, iFi Phono3 Phonostage
    Speakers: Janszen Audio Valentina P8, SVS SB13-Ultra
    Other: David Laboga Custom Audio/Shunyata/Audioquest cabling, PS Audio PowerPlant 15

The demo especially the Stravinsky track was probably the best I have heard. It has been so long since my epiphany with the MBL extremes occurred and they produce a very different soundstage from the XVX. it Would not Be fair to say which is better. It has been a long time since I have had speaker envy.
    I love the soundstage of the MBL’s, the best I’ve ever listened to, totally three dimensional. Plus the treble is so natural sounding. Amazing speakers.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

IMG_1194.jpg
    Did you have to suffer through a session listening to a turntable?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Just one track!
    Jim

Just one track!
    LOL!
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Looks like TAS has chosen the XVX as their Product of the Year for 2020. Congrats.
    Jim

Looks like TAS has chosen the XVX as their Product of the Year for 2020. Congrats.
    When are you "upgrading" Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    When are you "upgrading" Jim?
    Nope. I only have speaker envy for two speakers the XVX and the MBL extreme's. Fortunately they are both out of my purchasing comfort zone
    Jim

Nope. I only have speaker envy for two speakers the XVX and the MBL extreme's. Fortunately they are both out of my purchasing comfort zone
    I have listened to the Alexandria many times but have not had the pleasure of XVX or the MBL extremes. But I will say this, you are in a very good place already Jim. There is no such thing as the best, the best never rest. Today it is XVX, tomorrow it will be another version.

I have listened to the Alexandria many times but have not had the pleasure of XVX or the MBL extremes. But I will say this, you are in a very good place already Jim. There is no such thing as the best, the best never rest. Today it is XVX, tomorrow it will be another version.
    Serge. You are absolutely correct, there is no best and that ambiguous target will continue to move. There are many really good to great speakers that I could easily live with. I am not going to spend money just for a bit of change as I am very happy with my set-up. I am sure that some could offer SQ improvements but the two that I mentioned in my previous post are the only ones I have heard that have both the SQ and esthetics that make me really take notice. Also as noted above those two speakers are at a price point that cross a arbitrary line in the sand for me. In addition, to get the best from either of those speakers I would have to move out of my two channel room into one of the large rooms in our home. That would also increase the budget to better prep those spaces.
    Jim

Audioshark

Jim - has a lot changed? For example, has the tweeter changed from your model to the current models?

The XVX is a complete overall and an amazing speaker to listen to for that style of speaker.

High coin though and unless your super flush hard pill to swallow when you already have a great setup and still have room to make some significantly lower cost changes for improvement gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Jim - has a lot changed? For example, has the tweeter changed from your model to the current models?
    Mike, there are many differences between the XVX and my X2 Series 2. Additional drivers, different drivers, difference materials, more adjustment capability, etc.

The change in tweeters first appeared on the XLF's and I actually prefer my hard dome as compared to soft dome on the XLF's. I know there were other changes that make the XLF a overall better speaker than my Alexandria's but in my mind that tweeter was not one of them.
    Jim

I would love to trade in My Alexx's for a pair of XVX but I think with an upstairs listening room I'm not eager to put that much weight upstairs. Others have done it for sure .. I'm just a little nervous and realistic as well about the limitations of my room and that I may never fully realize the capabilities of that speaker without serious work to the room.

George
    Wilson Audio Alexx|Pair of Rel No25’s
    VAC Statement Preamplifier
    VAC Statement 452 Monoblocks
    Sonorus ATR10 MkII
    Esoteric D-02X|Esoteric P-02X|Aurender W20SE
    MIT Oracle MA-X SHD SC and IC
    Transparent Reference Power

Quote Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
    I would love to trade in My Alexx's for a pair of XVX but I think with an upstairs listening room I'm not eager to put that much weight upstairs. Others have done it for sure .. I'm just a little nervous and realistic as well about the limitations of my room and that I may never fully realize the capabilities of that speaker without serious work to the room.

George
    What size room are we talking? I had Alexia in 16x30 room and they filled it with bass and big sound effortlessly. I listened to Alexandrias in a huge showroom that was easily 50x70 maybe and they also effortlessly filled that big room. XVX need room to breathe or it will be like driving a Ferrari in mud.

What size room are we talking? I had Alexia in 16x30 room and they filled it with bass and big sound effortlessly. I listened to Alexandrias in a huge showroom that was easily 50x70 maybe and they also effortlessly filled that big room. XVX need room to breathe or it will be like driving a Ferrari in mud.
    The room is 20x24 and is plenty big enough dimension wise per the guys at Wilson ... but with it being a second floor I'm concerned that without re-inforcing the floor I could be in for real problems down the road as the XVX weighs in at 685 pounds per channel. Talked to a structural engineer and would cost approx $20k to do the work on the floor but again with it being the second floor and not cement I'm going to be challenged in the bass dept much like I am with the Alexx which uses the same basic woofers in a slightly smaller enclosure. Alexx is wonderful at any rate but can't help but wonder if I should build a new house to accommodate the XVX! :-)

What a crazy hobby!

George
    Sonorus ATR10 MkII

The room is 20x24 and is plenty big enough dimension wise per the guys at Wilson ... but with it being a second floor I'm concerned that without re-inforcing the floor I could be in for real problems down the road as the XVX weighs in at 685 pounds per channel. Talked to a structural engineer and would cost approx $20k to do the work on the floor but again with it being the second floor and not cement I'm going to be challenged in the bass dept much like I am with the Alexx which uses the same basic woofers in a slightly smaller enclosure. Alexx is wonderful at any rate but can't help but wonder if I should build a new house to accommodate the XVX! :-)

What a crazy hobby!

George
    Yes George! Building a new house for the XVX is definitely the way to go!

Don't waste $20k on floor reinforcement as there is also the WAMM Master Chronosonic that may start the "new itch" once the XVX novelty factor wears off.

In all seriousness, the 20x24 sounds like a big enough room to let the XVX breathe and especially if Wilson thinks it is ok. As far as 685 lb, imagine 4, 175 lb guys standing together in each corner of the room. If you think that will collapse your ceiling, you should have a serious talk with your architect that planned your house...

By the way, I am listening to a pair of 2 way Harbeth 30.2 in a 30x30 room and my PrimaLuna amp is in Triode mode at 30w max, maybe putting out 10w at most. The music effortlessly fills the room... Normal, listening volume with 65-70dB range. So towering speakers capable of filling a chamber music hall is fun but a total overkill. Yes, I know what dynamic range is and all about the gut punching, eye flinching, rectum puckering BASS. That is great if that is how one listens all the time. I don't

Yes George! Building a new house for the XVX is definitely the way to go!

Don't waste $20k on floor reinforcement as there is also the WAMM Master Chronosonic that may start the "new itch" once the XVX novelty factor wears off.

In all seriousness, the 20x24 sounds like a big enough room to let the XVX breathe and especially if Wilson thinks it is ok. As far as 685 lb, imagine 4, 175 lb guys standing together in each corner of the room. If you think that will collapse your ceiling, you should have a serious talk with your architect that planned your house...
    It wasn’t so much about collapsing the house but having that kind of weight in such a concentrated area could cause issues with floor sag down the road I’m told with any residential construction ... And it could just be the engineer being conservative as well. I certainly have no experience there and it’s new construction so your guess is as good as mine.

George
    Sonorus ATR10 MkII

It wasn’t so much about collapsing the house but having that kind of weight in such a concentrated area could cause issues with floor sag down the road I’m told with any residential construction ... And it could just be the engineer being conservative as well. I certainly have no experience there and it’s new construction so your guess is as good as mine.

George
    George, I did custom build a home. It was a rather complex and large project. I did support certain sections with extra steel I-Beams both horizontally and vertically for things I had in mind. It was obviously easy to do while it was being built. There are codes however and minimal floor ratings that the typical floor joist will withstand. Off the top of my head I don't recall and it will vary because there are variables. Was it built with 2 x 4' or 2 x 6's and are the joist 12, 16 or 24 inches apart? It all makes a big difference.

I do not see 600 lb of weight being a problem. Some folks run into problems when they want to set up large aquariums with over 120 gallons on floors that are suspended. That can be a problem since they can easily exceed 1000 lb of very concentrated weight and perhaps start to sag the floor.

There are people that weigh over 600 lb for crying out loud. I saw plenty of them during my years in the health industry. Are they not allowed to be upstairs?

I don't think they can get upstairs,

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Wilson Chronosonic XVX