Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Synology DS1515+ dies--------again.

The end of December 2018, my Synology DS1515+ died with the bad motherboard they had been making good on for a few years. I contacted them and they quickly sent me a replacement 1515+, though, it still had the same motherboard.

Here we are 8 months later and the replacement has succumb to the same unannounced end. I have contacted them today, but, I'm not sure it is worth accepting another unit should they offer. Not sure I even want a part credit to purchase another Synology product.

What are my options for storage? I have 5-4TB drives in it and about 8TB's of music. I don't want a player. I am happy with my DAC. Just want to know what options I have for storage.

Thanks,
    Brad
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Re: Synology DS1515+ dies--------again.

Firstly, replace the battery inside the DS1515+. There is a small chance that will make it boot.

The reason behind the failure is known as Intel C2000 Atom AVR54 bug, and it affects a wide range of equipment - not just from Synology. For this they have an extended warranty, see if you can get another free replacement:
    https://www.synology.com/en-global/c..._Status_Update
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

it doesn't help - but i have the same machine, and it too has failed twice - not happy

Thanks Peter, I looked through the manual and didn't see anything about a battery. I have to say I don't put much faith in a battery change.

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Firstly, replace the battery inside the DS1515+. There is a small chance that will make it boot.

The reason behind the failure is known as Intel C2000 Atom AVR54 bug, and it affects a wide range of equipment - not just from Synology. For this they have an extended warranty, see if you can get another free replacement:
    https://www.synology.com/en-global/c..._Status_Update
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Quote Originally Posted by pweg View Post
    it doesn't help - but i have the same machine, and it too has failed twice - not happy
    What did you end up going to as a replacement, Pweg?

I have been using Drobo for a long time. Always reliable.

they gave me another - so - no decisions made ....... i await this one to die in due course

Seems like the issue Peter linked to is specific to the *5 series. If you can't get another replacement (or don't want another one) then purchasing a newer model Synology seems like a viable option.

If you want something that is a little safer in case of disasters, you could go with an ioSafe. More expensive but fireproof and waterproof. It's basically Synology software.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    Thanks Peter, I looked through the manual and didn't see anything about a battery. I have to say I don't put much faith in a battery change.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks Peter.
    I'm willing to give it a try. If i take the case off, will that board be exposed or do I need to perform further surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by NekoAudio View Post
    Seems like the issue Peter linked to is specific to the *5 series. If you can't get another replacement (or don't want another one) then purchasing a newer model Synology seems like a viable option.

If you want something that is a little safer in case of disasters, you could go with an ioSafe. More expensive but fireproof and waterproof. It's basically Synology software.
    Thanks NA . Looks like a good piece but $639 vs $5,600 is a bit more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    Thanks Peter.
    I'm willing to give it a try. If i take the case off, will that board be exposed or do I need to perform further surgery?
    Not sure. From this video at 2:45 I think I saw the battery. It seems to be obstructed by the metal frame so you may need to remove the motherboard. Seems not easy. If Synology can replace it for you again it's better to get the replacement.

Basically, the battery deal is this. Owing to the AVR54 bug, if the battery has no power it won't boot - this is specific to this family of Intel Atom C2000 that had a design flaw, not generally true for other Synology models or PC. However, this does not logically imply that replacing the battery will revive it - just a small chance.

If you don't need such a large storage I'd tell you to look at QNAP HS-453DX. At Lumin we only tell people to use QNAP or Synology for the purpose of running MinimServer.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I decided to purchase a new Synology DS1019+. When I transferred the drives to the new NAS drives 1 & 3 were showing non-operable (aka dead). Is there a connection, no way to be sure.
    I currently have an amber flashing light, a beeping sound constantly and no connection between the laptop and the NAS. I turned the NAS off and await new drives, arriving tomorrow. Good news is the NAS was running Raid 5 with 5, 4TB WD Red drives so in theory nothing should be lost. If so I have a back-up hard drive with the same files.

Synology is sending me a replacement DS1515+, but that and a few dollars will get me a beer at a local bar. Not sure I would use it knowing it will probably fail.

Hopefully things improve with the new drives and a reboot.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will let you know what happens.

For what it is worth. Today a friend sent me a link to the Synology Community Forum. Apparently the Intel Celeron J3455E processor used in many of the new NAS's to include the DS1019+ I purchased have failure issues. Intel and Synology are currently working through how they will handle it.

I would suggest something other than Synology at this time. Just my .02.

We purchased a QNap NAS at my office. Fairly inexpensive, configured in Raid 5 and can add additional drive if we would like to. It has ran like a champ for about 1.5 years now.

I am not thrilled with their control module, but it does work. I just don't like that the entire interface is online with no local control for the unit.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Synology DS1515+ dies--------again.