Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

D’Agostino Factory Tour

I was heading to Scottsdale, Arizona on business and at the last possible minute dropped a message asking Dan D’Agostino if I could swing by before my week started on Monday. Dan answered very quickly over the weekend, said he was in NY but his son Alex would take care of me.

This really being my first time in Arizona where I had some time, did some discovering and stayed in beautiful Sedona about 2 hours north of Phoenix and visited The Grand Canyon still a few hours north of Sedona and to add a factory tour.

D’Agostino’s factory was directly in route back to Scottsdale where I had a seafood show to attend while observing on the drive back how the topography greatly differs. I now can see why D’Agostino moved operations from the East Coast to Arizona, originally setting up camp in Carefree then moving down the road to his now beautiful headquarters and factory located in Cave Creek, Arizona.

On a 100 degree, dry heat day, the parking lot was filled with cars belonging to the many craftsman building several amps in all different stages along with his son and daughter working in the family business. The layout is a bullpen type feel with everyone approachable and visible. I feel I really now know Dan, without really knowing Dan - it was clearly evident doing things right was embedded in his team, a sign from a good leader - I like that!

Upon entering the factory, there was a near complete set of Relentless Monos getting ready for a new owner residing overseas as well as several Momentum and Progressions in various stages of build shipping all over the globe as well as here in the United States.

But back to the Relentless, there is no way anyone could not notice this. I know the Relentless is massive in every way but seeing it up and close in a build setting just showed how colossal of an amp this really is.

This visit further established my support for the brand as an owner and equally important to the man and team behind the equipment.

In my case, the Momentum’s clearly grip the Wilson Alexias with complete authority allowing for music to be played in the manner it should.

Thank you DD’ and Co, I look forward in listening to your products for many years to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Re: D’Agostino Factory Tour

Fantastic and thanks for sharing!

One of those Momentum preamps may be mine which is at the factory getting upgraded to the HD level.

Safe travels!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post

One of those Momentum preamps may be mine which is at the factory getting upgraded to the HD level.

Safe travels!
    Thank you!

I wondered while I was there if any were from our group, I was aware Stillone ordered an HD Pre, and there were 3 under construction.

Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I was told earlier today that mine has been upgraded and going through testing and validation.

I havent been roughing it since Mike loaned me very nice pre. But, I’m ready to get mine back.

PS - I believe Jim’s (still-one) is black.

Mike

Audioshark

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I was told earlier today that mine has been upgraded and going through testing and validation.

I havent been roughing it since Mike loaned me very nice pre. But, I’m ready to get mine back.

PS - I believe Jim’s (still-one) is black.
    Yep, my new one will be black. Haven’t heard a update on build or delivery yet.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

D’Agostino Factory Tour

Safe travels!
    If it’s the one, it was this one in the picture below. The photo is an internal shot of the pre on the far right but not knowing to what extent it’s being updated (PreAmp with styrofoam between the main power supply and the pre.)

M300

M400

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Thank you!

I wondered while I was there if any were from our group, I was aware Stillone ordered an HD Pre, and there were 3 under construction.

Thank you for posting the pictures and talking through your tour. My wife an I have been listening to our upgraded Momentum HD preamp for about 3 weeks now. In our humble opinion, anyone else who jumped either to upgrade their current pre-amp or buy a HD outright will not be disappointed and very much thrilled with the new component.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

Thanks for the comments on the HD pre Anthony. Did you upgrade or buy a new HD?

Mike

Thanks for the comments on the HD pre Anthony. Did you upgrade or buy a new HD?
    We upgraded our original Momentum pre-amp.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC

My HD upgraded pre arrived yesterday. I was able to listen for just a couple of hours.

My my initial observation is that the upgrade was well worth it. More air, larger stage and tighter bottom; similar impression I experienced when I upgraded the S200 to S250. And, the new remote with Bluetooth connectivity to the pre works great!

Mike

My HD upgraded pre arrived yesterday. I was able to listen for just a couple of hours.

My my initial observation is that the upgrade was well worth it. More air, larger stage and tighter bottom; similar impression I experienced when I upgraded the S200 to S250. And, the new remote with Bluetooth connectivity to the pre works great!
    Mike
    Your comments are making me antsy for mine to be manufactured and delivered.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Mike
    Your comments are making me antsy for mine to be manufactured and delivered.
    i would be very willing to bet that you’ll be happy Jim.

Mike

I am crying inside with envy for the both of you as it is apparent I will be well out of budget after I move forward in the analogue arena putting this off until next year.

On Friday I ordered the Progression Stereo and seeing these pictures gets me more excited. I would have loved to have purchase the Momentum, but can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to ship once ordered? I know they are hand made but do they keep stock or are they made to order?
    D’Agostino Progression Stereo Amp, Audio Research LS-28 Preamp, Lumin T2, Wilson Yvette’s, Torus RM-20, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR-V10’s, NR-V12’s, Transparent Audio Ultra Gen 5 XLR Cables, Transparent Audio Super Gen 5 Speaker Cables, Stillpoints Aperture II’s, Intel NUC 8th Gen for Roon Core, Kenneth Lau LPS for Intel NUC and TrendNet TEG-S51SFP, Corning ClearCurve OM4 Fiber between Ubiquiti USW-24-POE Gen 2 and TEG-S51SFP, Sony XBR85X900F TV/Roon Display

My wife and I have been listening to our upgraded Momentum Pre-amp HD for about a month now and also agree the upgrade was very much worth the $$$. In our system and to our ears we felt the following:

- The micro-dynamics (to our ears) of both individual instruments and also the said instruments within the soundstage was the biggest improvement. Expect a much faster response to initial hits of a percussive instrument, pluck of a string, or even the dynamics of the air around the vocal cords of a singer. To us, this improvement took an already hyper-dynamic pre-amp and pushed it further into reality. Just outstanding.
    - While this might be because of the above changes, the speed at which a FF->P or P->F dynamic swing in intensity has very much both sped up and stopped faster. This gave the intensity of either loud->soft or soft->loud passages a more realistic representation. Loud to soft passages don't exhibit any "hangover" (think tape saturation as an analogy) and stop on a dime. Soft->Loud is super quick without being overtly harsh.
    - There was definitely a perceived and apparent kick in the pants in the lower octaves that made both the perceived bass more pronounced in addition to being tighter.
    - We felt the width of the soundstage widened, but not so much the depth.
    - Again, this might be because of the dynamic improvements of this pre-amp over its predecessor, but even the timbre of certain instruments seemed to be more realistic. We would not say every instrument, but certain ones obviously benefited(lower toms on a drum kit, cymbal crashes, keys struck individually on a piano, strings picked on a guitar (especially the nuances when an arpeggio is played on a guitar, where the ringing of the prior played note interacting with the other picked note gained more realism in our opinion)).

I would say to our ears in our system for dynamics, the Momentum Pre -> Momentum HD Pre upgrade was similar in scope to the Momentum -> Momentum M400 upgrade, but we still feel the amp upgrade was a "bigger" (if that makes sense) upgrade. However, as said above, it is well worth the money and we would do it again in a heartbeat.

For us it took about 45+ hours of break-in when most of the changes solidified, with about 70 hours hitting a plateau where there were no more easily perceivable changes to our ears.

Thanks for listening.

Is the tone the same as before - warm?

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    Is the tone the same as before - warm?
    While I can't speak what is "warm" to you, what I can say is that the balance or accuracy (which to my ear when pushed to the extreme can be considered harsh, bright, or sterile) vs. humanness/musicality (which to my ear when pushed to the extreme can be considered syrupy, methodical, etc.) has not lost its IMHO place in the continuum of Momentum products. I feel Dan biased his current Momentum designs with nice engineering tradeoffs for an accurate and musical presentation. If I had a gun put to my head, it might be a hair towards the accuracy side of the continuum I speak about above, but that would be true of the original Momentum Pre-amp also. So, I don't think is moved much away from the original "house sound" if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by laynesaddiction View Post
    While I can't speak what is "warm" to you, what I can say is that the balance or accuracy (which to my ear when pushed to the extreme can be considered harsh, bright, or sterile) vs. humanness/musicality (which to my ear when pushed to the extreme can be considered syrupy, methodical, etc.) has not lost its IMHO place in the continuum of Momentum products. I feel Dan biased his current Momentum designs with nice engineering tradeoffs for an accurate and musical presentation. If I had a gun put to my head, it might be a hair towards the accuracy side of the continuum I speak about above, but that would be true of the original Momentum Pre-amp also. So, I don't think is moved much away from the original "house sound" if you will.
    Fair enough. Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
    EMM Labs TX2 SE|DA2 V2| Ayre KX-R Twenty | D'Agostino Momentum M400 | Focal Maestro Utopia III | MIT Oracle MA | VH Audio | Shunyata King Cobra CX | Shunyata Everest | Harmonic Resolution Systems | CAD Ground Control

Anthony's description is spot on what I've experienced with my newly upgraded pre to the HD level. It's sounding so good that my wife spent a couple of hours last evening with me listening to vinyl. She will typically listen for a little while then move on but not yesterday.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Knecht View Post
    On Friday I ordered the Progression Stereo and seeing these pictures gets me more excited. I would have loved to have purchase the Momentum, but can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to ship once ordered? I know they are hand made but do they keep stock or are they made to order?
    It has been awhile as I also had to wait for my Progression amps. If they are super busy then the lead time is longer. I believe it's around three weeks. The parts are usually there IIRC but everything has to be assembled, and burnt in and tested and then boxed and shipped.
    Source component-Esoteric K-01X
    Preamp-
    Audio Research Reference 10
    Amplifier- ​D'Agostino Progression monoblocks
    Speakers-
    Wilson Audio Maxx 3
    Isolation stand-HRS SXR
    Cables-Transparent Reference speaker and Super I/C's.
    Power conditioning-Transparent Power Isolator and Transparent power cords
    Room treatment-Vicoustics

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team