Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Ohms And Amp Power Output

Is it correct to say as ohms decrease amp power output increases (due to less resistance)? For example, if you have an amp that outputs 100 wpc x 2 at 8 ohms, it will effectively be outputting more with a 6 ohm speaker. Another example...let's say you have a Luxman 509x that outputs 125 wpc x 2 at 8 ohms. Will it output more wpc with Harbeth 6 ohm speakers? IOW, is there a power advantage to having 6 ohm speakers? As you can see, I'm a total novice on this subject. But, is the above information accurate?

Re: Ohms And Amp Power Output

Like most technical issues it's not as simple as it first may seem since there are theoretical expectations and then there's reality. It's true that as the load impedance presented to an amplifier by the speaker is decreased it will result in a demand for more current. If an amp has a theoretically ideal power supply with perfect voltage regulation (few amps meet this goal) then a 4 ohm load impedance will draw twice as much current as an 8 ohm, and if the voltage is maintained that would result in power being doubled into the lower impedance. A 2 ohm impedance would again double the current and potential power compared to a 4 ohm load, etc. However in reality there are limitations on how well a given amp's power supply can maintain its voltage under heavier current demands, and if the voltage sags during high current demands then the power (which is voltage times current) will not actually double as expected. So it depends on an amp's design and in particular the capacities of its power supplies and output stages. Things get further complicated when you have amps with output transformers like most tube amps and some solid state designs which tend to maintain a rated power output regardless of the load when the proper output taps are used. Hope this helps and isn't too confusing. You can find several sources with further details with a basic search for the subject of this thread.

Thank you, bill. That was definitely helpful. I was mainly trying to determine if my Harbeth speakers being 6 ohm vs the usual 8 ohms have a power advantage.....and, how much?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Thank you, bill. That was definitely helpful. I was mainly trying to determine if my Harbeth speakers being 6 ohm vs the usual 8 ohms have a power advantage.....and, how much?
    The Luxman L-509X is rated at 120wpc into 8 ohms, and 220wpc into 4 ohms (a bit less than if it had a theoretically perfect power supply which would then provide 240wpc.) So driving the 6 ohm Harbeths the 509x would be rated at about 170wpc.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    The Luxman L-509X is rated at 120wpc into 8 ohms, and 220wpc into 4 ohms (a bit less than if it had a theoretically perfect power supply which would then provide 240wpc.) So driving the 6 ohm Harbeths the 509x would be rated at about 170wpc.

That's pretty close to my (amateur) estimate. Add to that, a magazine rated the 509x much higher than the factory specs. Same with the 590axii. It is factory rated at 30 wpc x 2 at 8 ohms and HiFi Magazine (I think) spec'ed the 590axii at 90 wpc x 2 at 8 ohms. Then you add in that my Harbeths are 6 ohm speakers and you gain a bit more output...perhaps a bump to 110 to 130 wpc x 2 at 6 ohms (my estimate).

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Ohms And Amp Power Output