Rhumba Extreme 1.2 is on the way
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

Rhumba Extreme 1.2 is on the way

Thanks in part to the endorsements in this forum, I now have a modified Rhumba Extreme 1.2 on order! Andy says they will be able to upgrade one of the remaining 1.2 extremes to 1.3 specs with no real loss in performance between the modified 1.2 and the new 1.3 (a couple of lights and switches on the 1.3 apparently).

Looking forward to see if it will replace the 509X as the preamp of choice for the MQ-88SE!

I have high hopes.
    PRIMARY 2 CH SYSTEM: Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II w/Clifte 12AU7 preamp tube; La Scala II, Luxman DA-06, Innuos Zen MK III, JL Audio e112
    OFFICE 2 CH SYSTEM: Luxman CL-40 Valve Preamp; Luxman M2000; Klipsch Heresy III, SVS SB2000; Auralic Aries; Ayre Codex
    HOME THEATER: Samsung Q6 82"; Anthem AVM 60; Monoprice Monolith 7; Monitor Audio Studio (front & surrounds); Monitor Audio Gold C150; Klipsch RP-140 SA Atmos; SVS SB-16Ultra; Panasonic UB-820; Apple TV 4K
    CURRENTLY SIDELINED: Luxman L-509X; Luxman C1010

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rhumba Extreme 1.2 is on the way

Congratulations! It'll be a wonderful preamp.
    Joe

Accuphase E-650, Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2.

3. Thanks JSQT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I can't wait to hear the outcome, and see some pics.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System - Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA1 MKII > Couterpoint NPS-400 > Clearfield Continentals > Synergistic Cables
    Secondary
    - OPPO 93 >
    Hafler 945 Pre-Tuner > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

5. Thanks JSQT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Rhumba Extreme 1.2 arrived yesterday and I was able to spend about 3 hours with it last night.

First impressions are very good - I admit, I thought I'd be a little more blown away right out of the box but it could be that I'm used to HOW GOOD the preamp in the L-509X is that the strengths of the BL are not as immediately evident.

One clear strength the BL has over the 509X pre - the soundstage is quite a bit wider and more expansive. Layering is much more detailed. The "black" background and the space around the notes is improved with the BL.

Where it can't stack up against the Luxman is in terms of bass control, attack and authority. Kick drums seem softer on the BL... Vocals are natural and lifelike but there are times where it almost seems the singer backs off the mic or something, rather than being consistently forward like with the Luxman. The Luxman also has a sweeter top end, notes seem to be a bit more natural and dynamic on pianos and strings.

This is a little surprising to me, as the "rhythm" and bass command seem to have been big talking points from BL and the reviews I have read online. I am wondering if it's just a matter of having to burn in the caps or something - or could it be the NS Mullards that come stock with this preamp. Considering buying another pair of Ciftes or Amperex tubes, but I want to give the preamp time to fully bloom and break in.

Finally, it occurred to me that I'm not making most use of Bob's patented power technology, because I do not have a direct wall outlet to plug the preamp into. I have no available wall outlets left - only going into my power strip. I know this is not ideal but I wonder how big of an effect it could have on the sound I am hearing. Unfortunately where my gear is placed, I have no other access to power without running an extension cord which would also not be ideal (nor I assume allow the BL to fully benefit from the wall AC).

Very interested in hearing from any other owners on my initial impressions!

Attached Images Attached Images
    PRIMARY 2 CH SYSTEM: Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II w/Clifte 12AU7 preamp tube; La Scala II, Luxman DA-06, Innuos Zen MK III, JL Audio e112
    OFFICE 2 CH SYSTEM: Luxman CL-40 Valve Preamp; Luxman M2000; Klipsch Heresy III, SVS SB2000; Auralic Aries; Ayre Codex
    HOME THEATER: Samsung Q6 82"; Anthem AVM 60; Monoprice Monolith 7; Monitor Audio Studio (front & surrounds); Monitor Audio Gold C150; Klipsch RP-140 SA Atmos; SVS SB-16Ultra; Panasonic UB-820; Apple TV 4K

Post Thanks / Like

On my DAC it was recommended to use the OEM power cable and to plug directly in the wall.

I tried changing cables and went back to the OEM, the I plugged it into my Distribution and the soundstage collapsed, back into the wall and it literally snapped back.

So if the maker recommends direct into a wall, I would find a way to do this. An option is to jump off your first distribution to a second and rearrange what is plugged in so power hungry is on primary and secondary for sources and such.

Curious what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII

Post Thanks / Like

I do think if I have the preamp at the far left side of my console I can stretch the PC over to another outlet which is close to my speaker. It won't be ideal in the looks dept; I'll have a very visible black PC suspended between the console and the outlet. Currently my AVM 60 is plugged into that outlet so I'll get that moved into the power distribution behind the console. At least that will show me what the difference is between the two options. It kills me that I have my entire home AV system against a 16' wall, which has a single outlet in the middle of the wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Give it time to burn in. Caps and tubes will change over the next 50 hours or more. Especially the capacitors over a longer period of time. Teflon caps take about 500 hours to break in.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Other systems- Parasound A21 amp,Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube DAC and Preamp, Magnepan MMG's, Monitor Audio S1's, PSB B6's, Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's, Velodyne sub, Adcom GFR-700 AVR, Music Hall 25.2 modified CDP, Cables by Cardas Parsec, AQ Columbia DBS 72v, Wire World.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't this a Demo Unit that was already used and broken in, or was it a brand new unit? I guess it says a whole lot for Luxman.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System - Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA1 MKII > Couterpoint NPS-400 > Clearfield Continentals > Synergistic Cables
    Secondary
    - OPPO 93 >
    Hafler 945 Pre-Tuner > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables