Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Magico or Avantgarde ?

Hi all,

I am currently asking myself if it would not be the right moment to upgrade my speakers (this hobby is crazy...) and so I am hesitating between two speakers that I recently listened : Magico M2 and Avantgarde Duo XD ( potentially YG that I listened recently as well ) .I know that there are plenty of other good speakers but let's keep the list short...

I am currently using Avantgarde Zero TA XD that I am enjoying.

Given the significant investment I won't be able to change my amps at the same time so ideally the speakers should fit my current gears ( Accuphase C2850/A70 combo and I have also a 2*16W 300B SET amp )

My room is 4M*11M*3M.Not dedicated and unfortunately far from perfect : My listening distance is quite short ( 2.5m) ,very close from the back wall , the room is asymetrical and quite lightly furnished... I put acoustic panels on the back wall and on the primary reflection spots but still it's a "bright" room.

In terms of sound preference : dynamics, fluidity, clarity.
    Music : I am listening a bit of everything so I don't need them to be excellent in one particular area but they need to handle well any kind of music.

Duo Pros :
    - Easier to setup in a difficult room ( active sub and controlled directivity)
    - less expensive
    - customizable color
    - match my current amps I believe
    Cons :
    - much bigger footprint,difficult to move around
    - very sensitive to the upstream gear
    - build quality compared to Magico
    - as I am also in Home theater,much more difficult to match them with center and surround speakers

What do you think ?

Thanks
    Alex

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Audioshark

Re: Magico or Avantgarde ?

Hi Alex,

Based on the dimensions of your room, you can safely go with either. HOWEVER, based on your listening distance of only 2.5m, you don’t have enough “throw” distance for the Avantgarde Duo XD’s. You’re close. You would ideally want 3-3.5m. That being said, you could sit 2.5m away, but you would really have to adjust the rake angle and angle the speaker down to your ears and make sure both speakers are even from a level standpoint.

I would like to see a little more power than the A70 for the Magico’s, but you should be fine (I’ve actually had an A65 and A70 on trade, great amps, but they can run out of steam quickly).

I wouldn’t worry about “much bigger footprint”. They are, but once you live with them for a few weeks, they’ll fit right in.

The M2’s are very flexible in terms of placement and I’ve found you can get good sound with a quick setup and great sound when you spend a little time dialing them in with the laser and level.

Jock (The Professor) has the M2’s and Duo Mezzo XD’s. Hopefully he will chime in here.

As always, good luck with your search and keep us updated on your progress. You can’t go wrong with either!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks Mike.
    I could increase the listening distance by decreasing the distance from the front wall...
    What would be the minimal distance from the front wall ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Mike says - I do have both. I've only had the M2s for a week now and they are far from being broken in.

But they are getting a very special quality to them.

I honestly don't know which pair I would give up if I had to only have one system. The AGs are more dynamic, but the M2s are closer in dynamics than most all other speakers.

I haven't played much with the placement of the M2s, and they are sounding great, so . . . I either got really lucky or they are not very particular in placement.

Both systems have great toe tapping.

Since you already have the AGs, I'd probably stick with those, assuming they would work in your room. Seems like from Mike, that they might be tricky. I do not know cause I have a larger room and that wasn't an issue.

Good luck - two great choices!!!!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Two, very very different sounding speakers but 2.5m seems mighty short for getting coherent sound with Duos.

If dynamics and fluidity are your thing, I'd look for a higher efficiency dynamic driver speaker (93dbs+) that will integrate better with your room. You might not get horn dynamics, but still very enjoyable sound that is appropriate to your room size.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

I've been to a demo once where they demonstrated how good the Avantgarde Trios sounded when sitting really close, almost as a personal huge headset.
    It was fantastic.
    So, you should be okay with the Duos.

I haven't heard the M2s.

I've heard the YG Haileys, and they would fit your room, budget and probably your amp too.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Super Moderator

My room is probably a little on the short side, distance-wise from the speakers, and I still think it's wonderful. I'm at the minimum recommended distance from the tweeters and I don't notice any shortcomings when I listen. Everything sounds so good that I don't think technically, just awesome musicality.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Magico or Avantgarde ?

I vote for M2. Whenever you have a budget to get the finest from Magico, you should go for it. Magico or Avantgarde ?

A70’s 60 class A watts is plenty for M2, especially you sit only 2.5m away from the speakers. In fact, I think M2 and Accuphase class A would be a superb combo. And you’ll be surprised how easy the sealed speakers integrate well with difficult rooms. Another thing, M2 would be easier to move if you so choose to later down the road.

Thanks all for your inputs! Will try to demo them in a setup as similar as possible as mine even if the dealers might argue otherwise...
    I am not too familiar with the Magico M line. Is the directivity pronounced or the opposite?

Quote Originally Posted by moby1977 View Post
    Hi all,

I am currently asking myself if it would not be the right moment to upgrade my speakers (this hobby is crazy...) and so I am hesitating between two speakers that I recently listened : Magico M2 and Avantgarde Duo XD ( potentially YG that I listened recently as well ) .I know that there are plenty of other good speakers but let's keep the list short...

I am currently using Avantgarde Zero TA XD that I am enjoying.

Given the significant investment I won't be able to change my amps at the same time so ideally the speakers should fit my current gears ( Accuphase C2850/A70 combo and I have also a 2*16W 300B SET amp )

My room is 4M*11M*3M.Not dedicated and unfortunately far from perfect : My listening distance is quite short ( 2.5m) ,very close from the back wall , the room is asymetrical and quite lightly furnished... I put acoustic panels on the back wall and on the primary reflection spots but still it's a "bright" room.
    A distance of 2.5 meters ear to tweeter is incredibly short. I would not listen to any speakers that up close except monitors, which is the type of speakers I have, and I sit further away too (2.65 meters or 8.7 feet).

A 60 W/ch amp like your Accuphase will likely not work on the Magico. You probably need more oomph. For my 92 dB sensitive two-way monitors I use a 100 W/ch amp (into 8 Ohms, 130 W/ch at 4 Ohm load), even though they can be driven nicely and quite dynamically by 15 W/ch amps. I prefer overkill. The bass comes from subs with 1800 W class D internal amps.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

For me is Avantgarde Duo all the way. Yes I am biased as being an owner. The Magico is super nice speakers and very powerful sounds but Avantgarde will stop you upgrade bug completely. That’s what I found as most Avantgarde owners do. While others are keep upgrading to newer models nothing wrong with it but I’m so happy that I’m settled now Magico or Avantgarde ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Avantgarde will stop you upgrade bug completely. That’s what I found as most Avantgarde owners do. While others are keep upgrading to newer models nothing wrong with it but I’m so happy that I’m settled now Magico or Avantgarde ?
    Hard to argue against with this. Less fun for us though since you are settled now. Loved reading your system evolution over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Hard to argue against with this. Less fun for us though since you are settled now. Loved reading your system evolution over the years.
    Haha. Thank you so much. I really enjoyed my journey and had great fun but also it’s good to be settled that going home and smile every time I listen to without browsing the audio forum and sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Haha. Thank you so much. I really enjoyed my journey and had great fun but also it’s good to be settled that going home and smile every time I listen to without browsing the audio forum and sites.
    Umm--Really?

Bruce

Attached Images Attached Images

Audioshark

Magico or Avantgarde ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Umm--Really?

Bruce

LMAO. You know him too well.

It’s ok not to be “done”. It’s about the journey more than the destination.

If I was “done” when I first said I was done, I would be recapping my Carver amps and making maintenance repairs on my 801F’s.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

So Mike, tell me when will those new Avantgardes Duo II with the revolutionary adjustable Bells that taylor the sound stage to the type of musical material start shipping?
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Umm--Really?

Bruce

Bahahahha. Good one Bruce ! However you will see .

Paul

I tend to agree with some of the other people here. Maybe 2.5m is not enough perhaps. My listening chair is anout 2.5m from my speakers. When I some serious listening I move my chair back for about 1 meter. Not a huge fan of Avantgarde speakers. If you are European maybe you can consider Stenheim, I heard these with smaller amps and they sounded great. Or Blumenhofer and Blumenhofer Clasic (BHC).
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    I tend to agree with some of the other people here. Maybe 2.5m is not enough perhaps. My listening chair is anout 2.5m from my speakers. When I some serious listening I move my chair back for about 1 meter. Not a huge fan of Avantgarde speakers. If you are European maybe you can consider Stenheim, I heard these with smaller amps and they sounded great. Or Blumenhofer and Blumenhofer Clasic (BHC).
    Sorry but I can’t get past the looks of your two suggestions to want to listen to them.

There again I don’t like the IKEA look .
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    Sorry but I can’t get past the looks of your two suggestions to want to listen to them.
    But you are looking at the plastic megaphones of Avantgarde
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

-Raidho look? Gimme a break dude!
    but you could plant your tulips in the Avantgardes! Just an idea.

Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    -Raidho look? Gimme a break dude!
    but you could plant tulips in the Avantgardes! Just an idea.

Wish I could get the Blumenhofers to sound good in my house. I had them next to my Raidho. But tbh I think maybe if I had put in some extra effort the Blumenhofers would have been a better and cheaper choice. I was alone when I set them up. I should have gotten some help I think. I had the FS2 on loan.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico or Avantgarde ?