Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Auditioning Amps And Speakers...

...How do you audition amps and speakers? Do you have a certain routine? Do you simply sit yourself (or stand) facing the speakers and make your decisions based on that? Do you do blind comparisons or blind listening? Have you ever sat facing away from the speakers and done blind A/B comparisons? What's your method? Do you have a method?

I'm going to be visiting Mike's store in a couple months with the goal in mind of making a decision on an integrated amp, DAC, and streaming components. I thought I might try making some blind A/B comparisons of amps, facing away from them. However, I'll start with just facing the amps, one by one, to see if there is/are amps that my ears immediately like. Perhaps there will be one or two in particular that really appeal to me vs the others. Then I'll proceed from there.

I'm sure there is no sure fire way to choose an amp. Mike has the same model speakers I currently own so I will have that advantage. So, how do you go about choosing speakers and/or amps? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Tom

Re: Auditioning Amps And Speakers...

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    I thought I might try making some blind A/B comparisons of amps, facing away from them.
    That isn't what "blind" is.
    I can see amps perfectly clear when I blind test. "Blind" means don't know which is playing and...critically, at the same exact volume level. Even the slightest difference in volume produces audible differences, not perceived as "louder", but "better", "clearer", "deeper soundstage", etc, etc.
    Thats why I use an AVA ABX box. It's essential for my design work (or serious entertainment with certain audiophiles).
    However, no one that I know, listens like that at home. You are going to see, feel, know, read the reviews, etc, etc. as you "experience" that amp. That involves far more than sound>ears.
    You best believe looks, street cred, price, etc, etc plays a huge role in satisfaction/enjoyment. Choose accordingly.

First of all, do not put your back to the system, that is not how you listen at home. At least, I hope

Don't get caught up in that blind listening crap, no one auditions like that. Sit in the sweet spot, put on some of your favorite tracks and just listen, you will know if you enjoy what you hear. If you don't want to be influenced by cosmetics or whatever, don't ask price until you find what you want and cover your eyes while Mike hooks up the cables. I fully believe there is a noticeable difference between the amps you were asking about and shouldn't have an issue.

Most of my gear I have been fortunate enough to just pull out a piece and pop the new one in, I play some familiar tracks and listen to see if I like it better or not. Sometimes I've had to swap the pieces in and out a couple times, sometimes a piece goes in and I know right off it isn't coming out. Sometimes, I've tried gear that I knew right off it wasn't staying.

Just relax and trust yourself, you will be the one at home sitting and enjoying the system, so it's you, you, have to please. You have a nice advantage being a musician, you know how things should sound.

Most likely the only problem you will have is, I like chocolate, I like strawberry, now, which do I like best, LOL
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Very good advice here.

I have found sometimes you have to move beyond extraneous influences. A great example is I had a really hard time getting pass the size of my T+A amplifier. I always believed an amplifier had to be physically large. The T+A is anything but... however when I got beyond that I came to really enjoy the amp and found out how amazing sounding it really is.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I agree, you're making this whole process far more difficult than it is. You will know which amp is right for you when you hear it.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    That isn't what "blind" is.
    I can see amps perfectly clear when I blind test. "Blind" means don't know which is playing and...critically, at the same exact volume level. Even the slightest difference in volume produces audible differences, not perceived as "louder", but "better", "clearer", "deeper soundstage", etc, etc.
    Thats why I use an AVA ABX box. It's essential for my design work (or serious entertainment with certain audiophiles).
    However, no one that I know, listens like that at home. You are going to see, feel, know, read the reviews, etc, etc. as you "experience" that amp. That involves far more than sound>ears.
    You best believe looks, street cred, price, etc, etc plays a huge role in satisfaction/enjoyment. Choose accordingly.
    I don't usually listen blindly, but recently in a DAC shootout in another system I was able to repeatedly and reliably point out the better DAC that way.

But what you say about controlled volume is SO important! It cannot be stressed enough that, as you say, even *small* differences in volume can throw off your perception in ways you describe (one of the etc.'s would be dynamics, BTW). And outside of one's own system, the systems that are most impressive are often the ones that are played loudest. Next time when I go to a show I'll bring my SPL meter for context. I could beat myself on the head that I didn't do that last time.

Someone once joked that many components have been bought just on volume differences upon audition. I think that actually may be true.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Super Moderator

You’ll soon realize that whatever Mike demos for you, it will be superb. Just play music that’s somewhat familiar and listen to how it makes you feel. You will instantly react to the amp or speakers that connect to you. This is not a do or die situation, it’s music and a wonderful escape that’s for enjoyment.

Knowing Mike the way I do, any system he’s put together has been spectacular.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Next time when I go to a show I'll bring my SPL meter for context.
    To be clear, with all electronic components, like amps, I measure voltage for required precision, not SPL. Speakers, yes, SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    You’ll soon realize that whatever Mike demos for you, it will be superb.
    Exactly. With the brands he carries, there won't be any "mistakes". Just a matter of picking which suits "you" best.

Super Moderator

Well said AJ.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    ...How do you audition amps and speakers? Do you have a certain routine? Do you simply sit yourself (or stand) facing the speakers and make your decisions based on that? Do you do blind comparisons or blind listening? Have you ever sat facing away from the speakers and done blind A/B comparisons? What's your method? Do you have a method?

I'm going to be visiting Mike's store in a couple months with the goal in mind of making a decision on an integrated amp, DAC, and streaming components. I thought I might try making some blind A/B comparisons of amps, facing away from them. However, I'll start with just facing the amps, one by one, to see if there is/are amps that my ears immediately like. Perhaps there will be one or two in particular that really appeal to me vs the others. Then I'll proceed from there.

I'm sure there is no sure fire way to choose an amp. Mike has the same model speakers I currently own so I will have that advantage. So, how do you go about choosing speakers and/or amps? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Tom
    You are way overthinking this. You need to relax and take a deep breath. Your ears will tell you which amp(s) you like and your budget will tell you which one you should buy.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Tom, what has been shared here is correct.
    We all have the fear of spending our hard earned money on possibly the wrong piece of equipment.
    You will know when you hear the sound you like. Try to just relax and have a good time doing it.
    You can be sure this will not be a high pressure demo session.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Wow, guys.....great info here. Some stuff that would have never crossed my mind. Mike has even told me, just relax. The amps on my list are all going to sound really good. It's just a matter of picking the amp my ears like best. Then, like Mr. Peabody said (paraphrased)...like with ice cream, some like chocolate, some like vanilla.

I feel kind of bad as I've been asking Mike a barrage of questions over the last few months. However, as a result, I'm now pretty much to the point of having a fairly good working knowledge of amps and speakers. I know much more now about home audio systems than I did with my first systems in the late '60s and early '70s.

I still have a lot to learn about the technical aspects of audio systems. But for day to day knowledge and operation of a high end audio system, and the assembling of a good system, I can get by just fine, thanks to Mike. I've learned the difference between great and not so great components and systems. I've learned what systems give good bang for the buck and what systems give good bang for big bucks and even bigger bucks. And to think there was a time I was thinking about putting a system together all on my own, without any guidance from a knowledgeable person. Oh, I could have assembled a system. But not nearly as good of one as I'm able to assemble now. So I feel like I'm now on my way to being an "official" audiophile...what ever that is, LOL! Mostly thanks to Mike.

Tom

I think you need to get music to those Harbeths right away.

Me too. But, gotta wait until January. Patience.

When I decided I needed a good system and started auditioning gear about 8 years ago, I already had a sound in mind, and just trusted my ears to tell me when I had heard what I wanted.

Now to be honest that approach ended up costing me about three times what I'd planned on spending, but otherwise it has worked out pretty well!

Pete's system:

Speakers: Revel Salon 2
    Amplifier: Symphonic Line Kraft 250 Monos
    Pre-Amplifier: Symphonic Line "The Enlightenment" Tube w/Telefunken E88CC and Mullard CV2492
    Source: Symphonic Line Belcanto CDP w/Turbo power supply and optional DAC; Ayre C5xeMP
    Cabling: Furutech (custom and stock)
    Speaker and Amp Platforms: Star Sound Sistrum Apprentice XLs
    Bank Account: Drained

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Even the slightest difference in volume produces audible differences, not perceived as "louder", but "better", "clearer", "deeper soundstage", etc, etc.
    These words are golden. Level matching is a must.
    Our NEO Stream is HERE!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Auditioning Amps And Speakers...